[OP3/3T] Unlock 720P slowmotion video WITH sound on Google Camera!

AcmE85

Jan 19, 2012
THIS MOD DOES NOT WORK ON OREO

First off

- your device has to be rooted / or at least have TWRP working to move the file
- you probably have to be on the latest OxygenOS Android 7.1.1 Beta for this to work
- the videos will be recorded with the latest Google Camera App:
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...amera-4-3-016-147548696-android-apk-download/
- you will be able to record slowmotion video in 720p with sound
- you will be able to edit the video with Google Photos and to manually set the desired area which is played in slowmotion, the other area will play in full motion, just like on the iPhone for example!

How-to

1.) Download this file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kt0pa3ks8b1lzpy/media_profiles.xml?dl=0
2.) put it into root/system/etc and overwrite the existing file
3.) set the correct permissions! rw-r--r-- (0644)
4.) reboot your device
5.) install the linked Google Camera, start it, go into Slowmotion mode
6.) open the Video from within the Google Photos App and edit it...
7.) Have fun! :)

I only stumbled across this just now, so I only got to test it on my OP3 with Beta12 Android 7.1.1.
I don't know if this works on older Betas or the latest stable build, so don't ask me.

But you are welcome to share your experience with us if you try it on other builds.
Keep in mind that the linked Google Camera version will only work on Android 7.1.1!

Here is a quick sample video I took which shows you how the video can be edited in Google Photos:

The sound is actually as good as always while playing it in full-speed in Google Photos and respectively "worse" in slowmotion,
which has to be expected in my opinion. At least it is much better than slowmotion without any sound, which is the reason I newer touched this feature in the past.

For the long explanation on how I found out about this:
I was already testing the latest Google Camera for Android 7.1.1 after flashing Beta 12 and unfortunately the slowmotion mode crashed immediately each time.

Today I stumbled over this commit for the OP3/3T on LineageOS:
https://review.lineageos.org/#/c/163935/
https://review.lineageos.org/#/c/163935/1/configs/media_profiles.xml

It adds these lines to the existing media_profiles.xml:

Code:
 <!-- CAMCORDER_QUALITY_HIGH_SPEED_HIGH/720P : [email protected]; 27.0 Mbps -->
        <EncoderProfile quality="highspeedhigh" fileFormat="mp4" duration="30">
            <Video codec="h264"
                   bitRate="27000000"
                   width="1280"
                   height="720"
                   frameRate="120" />
            <!-- audio setting is ignored -->
            <Audio codec="aac"
                   bitRate="96000"
                   sampleRate="48000"
                   channels="2" />
        </EncoderProfile>

<EncoderProfile quality="highspeed720p" fileFormat="mp4" duration="30">
            <Video codec="h264"
                   bitRate="27000000"
                   width="1280"
                   height="720"
                   frameRate="120" />
            <Audio codec="aac"
                   bitRate="96000"
                   sampleRate="48000"
                   channels="2" />
        </EncoderProfile>

<!-- CAMCORDER_QUALITY_HIGH_SPEED_HIGH/1080P : [email protected]; 34.0 Mbps -->
        <EncoderProfile quality="highspeed1080p" fileFormat="mp4" duration="30">
            <Video codec="h264"
                   bitRate="34000000"
                   width="1920"
                   height="1080"
                   frameRate="60" />
            <Audio codec="aac"
                   bitRate="96000"
                   sampleRate="48000"
                   channels="2" />
        </EncoderProfile>
This commit is meant to make slowmotion work on the latest Google Camera on LineageOS.
I thought to myself, why not add this code to the file provided in OxygenOS.

What can I say, It just works! The file provided above is taken from OOS Beta 12.
I just added the mentioned code from the spoiler.
I also think 1080p slowmotion with sound should be possible when we can already record [email protected]!

Last edited:

MrWilsonxD

May 1, 2016
Camera and video recording works for me, but slow mo force closes the app. Followed all instructions. Not sure what "overwrite the existing file" means. What file are we talking about overwriting? Are we changing names of it? I also noticed I'm at 644 not 0644, none of the options I clicked added a zero in front. :(

Attachments

AcmE85

Jan 19, 2012
Camera and video recording works for me, but slow mo force closes the app. Followed all instructions. Not sure what "overwrite the existing file" means. What file are we talking about overwriting? Are we changing names of it? I also noticed I'm at 644 not 0644, none of the options I clicked added a zero in front. :(
It looks like you are changing the permissions for Google camera.
Read the instructions again please.
You have to download the XML file from step 1.)!

Reactions: MrWilsonxD

snidhin08

Dec 23, 2013
Thank you..It works on experience rom based on oos 4.0.3 in op3...I just had to dwonload google camera compatible with android 7.0..Then followed your guide..:good:

Reactions: AcmE85

MrWilsonxD

May 1, 2016
It looks like you are changing the permissions for Google camera.
Read the instructions again please.
You have to download the XML file from step 1.)!
You would think at this point I would be able to read.. -_- obviously not. I replaced it, thank you. Everything works now! Thank you!

Reactions: AcmE85

isko01

Apr 4, 2015
@AcmE85

First of All I would like to give you a medal. Thx you so much for this. OnrPlus 3/3T is so strong that can have so much good features in camera. Too bad that OnePlus team dont work on it.

I have some question:

1. Please can you make record with 240fps slowmotion?
2. You say somethong about 1080p at 120fps? :) Can you do that?
3. And what about make slowmotion better video quality, to add more bitrate?

For all this and more camera features Im ready to pay.

One more time Thx you a LOT! :)

AcmE85

Jan 19, 2012
1. Please can you make record with 240fps slowmotion?
2. You say somethong about 1080p at 120fps? :) Can you do that?
3. And what about make slowmotion better video quality, to add more bitrate?
You're welcome. I did not really code anything myself though.

1. I think the camera sensor does not even support 240fps

2. I did say 1080p at 60 fps. Sorry but both the stock OOS Camera and Google Camera are closed source and I'm no dev.

3. You could try to manually raise the bitrate inside the xml file. In terms of brightness there is nothing than can be done though.
Slowmotion recordings will always be darker compared to regular videos because of the higher framerate.
More fps means the sensor has less time per frame to capture light. A higher shutter-speed when you compare this to photos.

Reactions: isko01

isko01

Apr 4, 2015
You're welcome. I did not really code anything myself though.

1. I think the camera sensor does not even support 240fps

2. I did say 1080p at 60 fps. Sorry but both the stock OOS Camera and Google Camera are closed source and I'm no dev.

3. You could try to manually raise the bitrate inside the xml file. In terms of brightness there is nothing than can be done though.
Slowmotion recordings will always be darker compared to regular videos because of the higher framerate.
More fps means the sensor has less time per frame to capture light. A higher shutter-speed when you compare this to photos.

My friend,

I can tell you that crDroid ROM for OnePlus 3/3T have modified camera that can record 240fps at 720p.

So please can you take it from that rom and make it work for stock? :)

Here is Youtube proof video:

Go on 2minit and you will see 240fps at 720p. :)

Reactions: injectx

AcmE85

Jan 19, 2012
@isko01
I'm at work right now but will take a look later...
If you want to help then please provide me the media_profiles.xml from mentioned crdroid.

edit: I've tried editing the xml to enable 240 fps but it did not work. Nothing I can do as I can't modify the apps to record with 240 fps.
I also suspect missing camera libs for 240 fps in OxygenOS. I won't flash CrDroid to test this out or find the missing pieces though.
If you want to help with this mod feel free to ask the CrDroid Dev how he managed to enable 240 fps recording.

I can only repeat that I am no dev, so anything which involves real coding is beyond my knowledge.

Last edited:

isko01

Apr 4, 2015
@isko01
I'm at work right now but will take a look later...
If you want to help then please provide me the media_profiles.xml from mentioned crdroid.

edit: I've tried editing the xml to enable 240 fps but it did not work. Nothing I can do as I can't modify the apps to record with 240 fps.
I also suspect missing camera libs for 240 fps in OxygenOS. I won't flash CrDroid to test this out or find the missing pieces though.
If you want to help with this mod feel free to ask the CrDroid Dev how he managed to enable 240 fps recording.

I can only repeat that I am no dev, so anything which involves real coding is beyond my knowledge.

I will try, but im a noob, but i will try.

How I see on the video clip they are using Snapdragon camera but modified.