[OP5] Battery life Thread

Search This thread

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
Looking at the leaderboard thread, how in the hell does anyone get these crazy 10+ SOT stats? I'm on 9.0.8., stock ROM, stock kernel, rooted/TWRP, no other mods. I'm glad if I get 4 hours SOT these days, usually it's around 3 hours or sometimes less. Bluetooth and Wifi are usually turned on, but that shouldn't make a difference of 6 or more hours. I bought the device less than 2,5 years ago, original battery still not replaced. Any ideas?

Hello there :) it's my thread, all legit.

The reason why some get good and some get bad is because it's subjective.

Some people have apps that draw more power, or a setup which does, some are located in an area where the device may have to work harder to get the signal out, also due to habits and the actual device itself, some will be marginally more efficient.

The you have to look at what OS each person is on, what kernel is in use, which firmware, charging habits (i don't charge overnight, not once on any phone i've ever had) and finally what may be syncing on an app level, eg: Google sync services, some may have some on some may not.

Individually this won't make much of a difference but combined with other factors, they add up, a good indication is what your idle drain is overnight, I have the P20 Pro now but when i had the Oneplus 5 and xXx no limits running, i was only losing 0-1% overnight (8-9 hours) consistently, a single app can double / quadruple that number quite easily.

The time i recorded when i achieved 14 hours 40 minutes SOT on one charge over the weekend, i was in my room for all of it, pretty much, signal is amazing in there which was a huge help.

Bare in mind also that the oneplus 5 is a few years old now, so regardless on your habits, it's a dated battery and will almost certainly have lost some efficiency.

Hope this helps :)

PS: Personally I wouldn't bother switching things off or moving to power saver mode, i'd also stick with the stock kernel as it's normally the most stable.

sunki

May 7, 2007
Poprad(SK) Manchester(UK)
Looking at the leaderboard thread, how in the hell does anyone get these crazy 10+ SOT stats? I'm on 9.0.8., stock ROM, stock kernel, rooted/TWRP, no other mods. I'm glad if I get 4 hours SOT these days, usually it's around 3 hours or sometimes less. Bluetooth and Wifi are usually turned on, but that shouldn't make a difference of 6 or more hours. I bought the device less than 2,5 years ago, original battery still not replaced. Any ideas?
My SOT its average 8:30 and battery health I have its 83% most of the time I used AccuBattery app to monitor charge and usage and charged my phone over the night only handful times. Signal coverage at home its great and poor at work. If i use phone at work battery dropping so fast.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

ArtVandelay2

Jan 27, 2014
It's not really subjective, because the SOT is simply measured. And in the thread they compare OP5 devices, which are more or less the same age. I also compared my settings (ROM, kernel etc.) with other users and it doesn't make much sense to me that they get up to 10 hours (!) screen time more than me. I take care of my device as well, never charged it over night etc. The general performance of the OP5 is still amazing, I don't really want to upgrade to a new device just because of battery issues. Replacing the battery is also risking, people experienced even worse battery life after a replacement.

strongst

Senior Moderator - Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Smart Watches
It's not really subjective, because the SOT is simply measured. And in the thread they compare OP5 devices, which are more or less the same age. I also compared my settings (ROM, kernel etc.) with other users and it doesn't make much sense to me that they get up to 10 hours (!) screen time more than me. I take care of my device as well, never charged it over night etc. The general performance of the OP5 is still amazing, I don't really want to upgrade to a new device just because of battery issues. Replacing the battery is also risking, people experienced even worse battery life after a replacement.
Every user has different apps, signal strength, usage behavior, temperature, brightness, settings, signal speed etc.

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010

I was getting 3 hours or less on a pixel XL with 95% battery health and similar on a galaxy s8 I had for a few weeks. The OnePlus 5 regularly goes 5.5hours screen on time over a period of a day for me. Sometimes over 7 depending on what I'm doing. Listening to music on it all day long brings it down to like 3.5 hours give or take. I have 90% battery health left on my original battery.

I have lots of Google sync stuff happening and did have Facebook and Instagram (rarely used) up until now. I'm experimenting with how much it will improve without them because I've also had to add an app for work that tracks my location all day long to log the hours for each job I'm on and it uses up to like 20% of the battery through the day. That and Google RCS chat is now active on my phone and seems to be using a high percentage of the battery too. I'm kind of experimenting with chat for a bit (only works texting my mom because she has a pixel which has chat already). If the battery drain doesn't slow down it won't be worth keeping it active so I'll turn it off.

Last edited:

vdbhb59

Feb 15, 2016
OnePlus 5
Samsung Galaxy M30
Mine for example. Though I am on Xtended Q latest.
I do get 6-8 most of the times.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200228-072607.jpg
    Screenshot_20200228-072607.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 191
  • Screenshot_20200228-072555.jpg
    Screenshot_20200228-072555.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 187

lazostat

Jul 13, 2014
It's simple. Whoever managed to get over 9hours it's because he had a new battery + lowest brightness + they just let the screen opening doing nothing.. But that's cheating i guess..

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
It's simple. Whoever managed to get over 9hours it's because he had a new battery + lowest brightness + they just let the screen opening doing nothing.. But that's cheating i guess..

Lol that's not true at all. Check the leaderboard I made.

Haha who the hell would do what you've just said?

Even in my OnePlus 8 Pro I can best 9 hours.

Here's the app list and detailed usage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200501-231309.jpg
    Screenshot_20200501-231309.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot_20200501-231303.jpg
    Screenshot_20200501-231303.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot_20200501-231235.jpg
    Screenshot_20200501-231235.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 104

lazostat

Jul 13, 2014
Lol that's not true at all. Check the leaderboard I made.

Haha who the hell would do what you've just said?

Even in my OnePlus 8 Pro I can best 9 hours.

Here's the app list and detailed usage.
It's not hard.. Let the phone in the corner and go play some games, watch some movies and the hours have been passed! Oneplus launcher 24% ?

strongst

Senior Moderator - Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Smart Watches
It's not hard.. Let the phone in the corner and go play some games, watch some movies and the hours have been passed! Oneplus launcher 24% ?
Tip: if you can't reach your preferred sot, feel free to submit some bbs dump files along with some device information here or within bbs thread to investigate your issues ;)

Reactions: dladz

lazostat

Jul 13, 2014
Tip: if you can't reach your preferred sot, feel free to submit some bbs dump files along with some device information here or within bbs thread to investigate your issues ;)
Friend i think that my battery after nearly 3 years is very bad now.. It makes sense.. How can i test my battery? Accubattery is accurate?

Do you know guys where can i find a original oneplus5 battery?

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8

I understand the logic, however I'm not doing that, that's my question, why would anybody do that?? It's ridiculous

And as @strongst just mentioned, if you have a problem with your battery then perhaps you should talk about it rather than suggesting we're all leaving it on reading mode, for what? To say hey look at me with my high SOT?

Look at the application lost on the battery stats.

If your need help then ask for it, I won't however entertain your accusations.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

Friend i think that my battery after nearly 3 years is very bad now.. It makes sense.. How can i test my battery? Accubattery is accurate?

Maybe it's time to buy a new phone instead of complaining.

Reactions: strongst

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010

I fully plan to replace my battery when the time comes. You can test it with accubattery or there's a OnePlus app that can do it along with a bunch of other tests. Mine is still about 90% health.

Your best bet is probably one of the well known suppliers like iFixit. I used to recommend E-Trade supply but I had a bad experience with their warranty policy, shipping cost more than the part and they wanted me to pay the shipping when the part was defective.

lazostat

Jul 13, 2014
I fully plan to replace my battery when the time comes. You can test it with accubattery or there's a OnePlus app that can do it along with a bunch of other tests. Mine is still about 90% health.

Your best bet is probably one of the well known suppliers like iFixit. I used to recommend E-Trade supply but I had a bad experience with their warranty policy, shipping cost more than the part and they wanted me to pay the shipping when the part was defective.
I can't find battery on Ifixit for oneplus5.

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
They used to have it because I tried to order one. The Canadian site didn't and they don't ship here anymore. I guess try eBay.

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
Mine has held up well but I try not to run it low very often. Keeping it above 30% before recharging helps a lot, as well as unplugging before it gets to 100.

lazostat

Jul 13, 2014
Yeah, most times i charge it from 20% to 80%.

This time i was at viber for 1h5m and i lost 10%. Which means if i am non-stop at viber or browsing i will have 9h+ Sot. The real problem is the standby drain. Especially during night.

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
Yeah, most times i charge it from 20% to 80%.

This time i was at viber for 1h5m and i lost 10%. Which means if i am non-stop at viber or browsing i will have 9h+ Sot. The real problem is the standby drain. Especially during night.
If it's standby it sounds like it's more likely a software issue than hardware.

Maybe it's time to buy a new phone instead of complaining.
I don't think this is helpful. As a JerryRigEverything subscriber I cannot accept this statement ;) . Buying new phones when you could just replace the battery or get the battery replaced by a professional is wasteful! And often it costs you more... Afaik the Oneplus 5 battery is easily replacable. Plus he was just asking for help and not complaining.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OnePlus 5 Battery Life Thread

Hi all,

I figure it would be useful to get a battery life thread going so we can see what type of performance we can get and also understand how people might be improving their battery performance.

I haven't done one full battery drain yet as I only got the phone yesterday. I will be doing that on this cycle to see how it performs. For reference I am at 90% after about 7 ½ hours having put down at 100% and not on the charger when I slept. I had 2% battery drain over night (slept maybe 6 ½ hours) and have 54 minutes SOT (light usage, just messaging, Twitter, slack, chrome etc) with the remaining 8%. I'm not sure how OP phones battery life reduce, I know LG always has a strong first 10% and then rapidly drops off for example.

In terms of setup, I am rooted and using Doze Settings Editor (GeraldRudi preset), Naptime, Leandroid (but I need to figure out if this is actually working). I am also using dark themes were possible as these are better for AMOLED screens. I've also tweaked kernel in EXKM but nothing major that would positively impact battery.
    Haha ironically, I'm now getting crap batter life lol, one rogue app, doing a bit of bug testing for cash and it's had an impact on idle battery.

Definitely need a fresh reinstall at some point.

Need to break that 15 hour SOT.

What's the highest anyone's ever got ??

The OP should be updated with a leaderboard.. actually I might make one myself.
    15 hrs on New kernel.
    how on the earth you managed that ?

Details please ? Also can you tap on the graph and post a ss.
    Basically he didn't do much with his phone.
    Let's make this the official battery life thread for the Oneplus 5, enjoy :good:
    Holy Cow, I can't say anymore about this phone! Simply amazing!

-Bone Stock 4.5.3, Unrooted
    -Still have the stock screen protector
    -Auto-Brightness On
    -Bluetooth connected to Fitbit
    -GPS and Location Services On
    -Night Mode On All Day
    -Not running Greenify or any battery saver apps.
    -All Cell Data on T-Mobile, No Wifi
    -Battery Saver turns on at 5 %

Slept 8 hours over night unplugged and I just achieved 11 HOURS OF SOT IN ONE FULL CHARGE!!! I have never seen anything like it in all my years owning Android phones.
    Incredible!
    d7c361bd4c429a2656e102430b481f21.jpg
    ad0b01d69515b103c8e3c01446de794d.jpg
    9b27c4dc3efb4223b3258e0b3f924251.jpg
    05433b5f13ee3b7ade4b8076421e0e4b.jpg