[OP5] Battery life Thread

Search This thread

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
I don't think this is helpful. As a JerryRigEverything subscriber I cannot accept this statement ;) . Buying new phones when you could just replace the battery or get the battery replaced by a professional is wasteful! And often it costs you more... Afaik the Oneplus 5 battery is easily replacable. Plus he was just asking for help and not complaining.

Well there is a bit more to it than that.

The phone itself may actually have become less efficient.

Chips, camera, touch screen, audio, mic.

They'll all degrade over time. 2 years is about everyone's limit. The warranty is gone by then and if he / you has been charging over night, every night then that'll have but the capacitors hard.

Essentially yes you can fix it, you can swap anything out to a point, but similar to a car it has to be cost effective.

3 years unless you've treated it perfectly, it's going to be a less efficient phone.

PS I do like the make do and mend mentality btw, everyone should, and with certain things I definitely make adjustments and fix what I can. But with phones there are limits

PPS: sorry I didn't mean to sound as negative as I did.

Last edited:

Im_Mattgame

Oct 3, 2015
Screenshot_20201212-202651.png

I think I need a new phone

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
@Im_Mattgame

Here you go.

"Change 5G to 4G
Remove Facebook use web based
Remove Facebook messenger use web based
Remove Twitter use web based
Remove any ad based apps pay for the pro version
Turn off gestures like lift to wake
Change from QHD to FHD (No difference)
Allow auto brightness
Turn off WiFi overnight
Turn all updates to manual not auto (play store)
Remove any so you don't use
Change back up to once a month (WhatsApp)
Turn off location history (Google)
Use titanium to remove any system apps you don't need
Don't allow anonymous usage statistics for any app ever.
Don't allow tracking cookies on any website
Use adaway (root needed)
Don't open web pages in Google app (I use Samsung browser)
Don't use xposed.
If you game you will not get high SOT scores, period.
Don't bother with battery saving apps or monitoring apps.
Streamline your apps, if you don't use it, remove it.
Don't allow WiFi scanning (as in letting other apps use it when it's not on)
Never allow personalised ads.
Never allow notifications from websites
Always decline cookies unless your absolutely have to allow some tracking (common sense prevails here)
Optimise as many apps as possible unless it affects performance.
Don't allow apps to remain open in the notification area.
Change your launcher, my preferred launcher is lawn chair and this did actually burn up some battery when compared to the OnePlus launcher.
Don't use live widgets (yes they look cool, but they annihilate your battery)
Live wallpaper, again very cool, but battery burners.
Again! Don't charge overnight, make a note of your percentage then see what it is in the morning, you shouldn't be losing more than 5% really, if you've done well then it'll be reflected here, the good SOT results will follow.
Turn off live read outs of network speed, RAM usage in the status bar.
Turn off NFC unless in use.
Leave location on in quick settings.

Don't overcharge your phone, IE: overnight
Don't allow your phone to fully deplete the battery.

Whatever anyone says, this does 100% damage batteries, there is no argument here and I won't entertain anyone who says otherwise, Ive seen through real life tests what this results in, bloated, inefficient, possibly dangerous lithium batteries.

Keep your phone out the sun.
Keep it out of extreme cold.
Keep your device clean dust free.

Snapchat, Viber, house party, apps like that tends to use more battery as they don't have great dormancy periods.

Apps like speed test by Ookla tend to have location tracking, similarly they tend to turn themselves on and off when they feel like it, my advice, install test and uninstall.

Allow a couple of battery cycles between tweaking sets, to give you an idea of how much of a difference you've made.

Use BBS to see what is being used, once you've removed problems, remove BBS.

I've just written this from the top of my head so o probably missed some things, the general idea is to keep your device clean and fresh, remove files you don't need any more.

Keep an eye on apps that misbehave or aren't wanted, index your folders so they aren't a mess.

The more good things you do means the more potentially bad apps you can have on your phone, eg if you really need Facebook, you could keep it so long as you clean up other areas of your phone.

Good luck"

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
Still getting 4-7 hours screen on time with my original battery. Stock 10.0.1. Always gets through the day and lasts longer than my new op8pro by a couple hours. Switched back to the old phone hoping updates will improve the new one. (especially poor speakerphone for outdoor use).

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
Still getting 4-7 hours screen on time with my original battery. Stock 10.0.1. Always gets through the day and lasts longer than my new op8pro by a couple hours. Switched back to the old phone hoping updates will improve the new one. (especially poor speakerphone for outdoor use).

Strange that.

If you've updated to 11 then make sure your l you factory wipe afterwards, you'll almost certainly inherit and create issues by changing base.

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
Strange that.

If you've updated to 11 then make sure your l you factory wipe afterwards, you'll almost certainly inherit and create issues by changing base.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the "invert colors" being broken and unusable on the OnePlus 8 pro? Is this the case on yours or is it just me? I opened a ticket with OnePlus and shortly after that I got a reply from a problem with my OnePlus 5 I opened a ticket 6 months ago, so I don't expect any help from them. When reading in the browser on the op5 I would always invert the colors in the quick toggles so the background would be black, lots of battery savings there. The op8 has the same feature but it just makes it go gray with a bright white hue over top.

I did a fresh wipe when I installed the Android 11 update shortly after buying the phone. I kept using the OnePlus 5 until that point. Since I didn't use it as a daily until after the update I don't know if there problems existed before. I've received one update since the Android 11 update and it didn't fix either of my issues.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
I wonder if it has anything to do with the "invert colors" being broken and unusable on the OnePlus 8 pro? Is this the case on yours or is it just me? I opened a ticket with OnePlus and shortly after that I got a reply from a problem with my OnePlus 5 I opened a ticket 6 months ago, so I don't expect any help from them. When reading in the browser on the op5 I would always invert the colors in the quick toggles so the background would be black, lots of battery savings there. The op8 has the same feature but it just makes it go gray with a bright white hue over top.

I did a fresh wipe when I installed the Android 11 update shortly after buying the phone. I kept using the OnePlus 5 until that point. Since I didn't use it as a daily until after the update I don't know if there problems existed before. I've received one update since the Android 11 update and it didn't fix either of my issues.
Have to say I have never had a use for inverting colours..dark mode works fine for me.

I'm currently on about 8 hours with 22% left.

Battery can be saved in more places also depending on usage

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210102-234432.jpg
    Screenshot_20210102-234432.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20210102-234445.jpg
    Screenshot_20210102-234445.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 24

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
Thanks that worked. Better than nothing. I'll still be missing working invert colours for certain apps that don't have a proper black mode..other than this and battery life still being worse than my tired OnePlus 5, my only problem is very low speakerphone volume compared to the op5. I use speakerphone outdoors on construction sites while working and it was great on that phone. With the OnePlus 8 pro I can't hear them at all. You've had both phones, do you notice a huge difference between the 2 in speakerphone mode?

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
Thanks that worked. Better than nothing. I'll still be missing working invert colours for certain apps that don't have a proper black mode..other than this and battery life still being worse than my tired OnePlus 5, my only problem is very low speakerphone volume compared to the op5. I use speakerphone outdoors on construction sites while working and it was great on that phone. With the OnePlus 8 pro I can't hear them at all. You've had both phones, do you notice a huge difference between the 2 in speakerphone mode?

AHH construction, cold weather can have a massive effect on your phone, try keeping your phone warm..I've been on sites before with my older phones and it definitely has an effect.

Haven't got a problem with audio personally but I'm not always outside .

My phone's still going 9 hours and 12 minutes left.

I should still have 10% by morning.

Iirc the OnePlus 5 only had mono audio, there were plenty of mods for it, have you got any running?

The best mod I ever used was dragon (I think it was called) really loud but no distortion, think that was been on the S3 i9300.

Viper for me doesn't make it louder, but I'd try dragon again if I could find it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210103-033750.jpg
    Screenshot_20210103-033750.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 10

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
AHH construction, cold weather can have a massive effect on your phone, try keeping your phone warm..I've been on sites before with my older phones and it definitely has an effect.

Haven't got a problem with audio personally but I'm not always outside .

My phone's still going 9 hours and 12 minutes left.

I should still have 10% by morning.

Iirc the OnePlus 5 only had mono audio, there were plenty of mods for it, have you got any running?

The best mod I ever used was dragon (I think it was called) really loud but no distortion, think that was been on the S3 i9300.

Viper for me doesn't make it louder, but I'd try dragon again if I could find it.
Both phones are completely stock actually. Mono Audio yeah, but much louder out of the OnePlus 5. I know how the cold can affect certain phones, my co-workers iPhone died after only a few minutes outside just before the holidays. Mine had no issues with the cold.

It wasn't cold yet when I was using the OnePlus 8 pro, so I'll find out when I go back to work tomorrow how much worse it actually is than I already experienced. Not much I can do but keep it in my pocket except when using it. I expect it to drain faster out in the cold, which just concerns me more since I could barely get a full day in good weather with the new phone whereas the old one always had lots left to spare. I can always plug it in when we're in the truck if need be, I'm just used to 3 years of having a reliable battery.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
Both phones are completely stock actually. Mono Audio yeah, but much louder out of the OnePlus 5. I know how the cold can affect certain phones, my co-workers iPhone died after only a few minutes outside just before the holidays. Mine had no issues with the cold.

It wasn't cold yet when I was using the OnePlus 8 pro, so I'll find out when I go back to work tomorrow how much worse it actually is than I already experienced. Not much I can do but keep it in my pocket except when using it. I expect it to drain faster out in the cold, which just concerns me more since I could barely get a full day in good weather with the new phone whereas the old one always had lots left to spare. I can always plug it in when we're in the truck if need be, I'm just used to 3 years of having a reliable battery.

Something is eating the battery, probably a rogue app misbehaving.

Mono appears to be louder but it's probably on par.

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
Something is eating the battery, probably a rogue app misbehaving.

Mono appears to be louder but it's probably on par.
It's definitely possible, weird thing is it's the exact same apps and setup on both phones. I did have an issue with the stock weather app draining the OnePlus 8 so I disabled it. Never had anything like that happen with the op5.

I suspect I have a bum battery but I can't test the battery health like I could on the op5. It was at 88% last I checked and is actually lasting as long or longer than 3 years ago on Android 7. I've had a few issues with android 10 on the op5 the worst being no audio when answering phone calls on speaker (finally fixed with the last update) but never any battery issues after all these years.

All I can do is hope things improve with the next update.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
I'd avoid comparing the two. Give the 8 is fresh start.

The 5 was a good phone for it's time but the battery will have degraded by now significantly.

Have you turned off optimize charging?

And you're not charging overnight?

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
I'd avoid comparing the two. Give the 8 is fresh start.

The 5 was a good phone for it's time but the battery will have degraded by now significantly.

Have you turned off optimize charging?

And you're not charging overnight?
Is there a problem with optimized charging? That's a feature I was excited about as I keep the phones long term and did what I could to keep the old phone from degrading much over 3 years. I will try turning it off but the whole point of it is to reduce battery degradation and allow you to charge overnight.

If I plan on using fast charging I don't have to charge overnight (used to do this with the op5 often - put it in battery save mode overnight - then plug in when my first alarm goes off), but then I switched to a slower charger and did overnight charging instead. When I inevitably wake up in the middle of the night and see the phone is charge I pull it off the charger. Otherwise I leave for work at 7am and get up at 6 so charging really has to happen overnight.

I put more thought into this than the average person, most just charge overnight without ever thinking about it. And for perspective I'm using a 3 year old phone that I've used heavily without any noticeable battery degradation vs a 6-7 month old phone. It should be much too early for my charging habits to have hurt the phone if they're going to.

Anyway I'll try it without optimized charging if you're thinking that it's another broken feature.

Sorry for derailing this thread. Somehow I ended up complaining about the new phone in the old phones battery discussion.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
Is there a problem with optimized charging? That's a feature I was excited about as I keep the phones long term and did what I could to keep the old phone from degrading much over 3 years. I will try turning it off but the whole point of it is to reduce battery degradation and allow you to charge overnight.

If I plan on using fast charging I don't have to charge overnight (used to do this with the op5 often - put it in battery save mode overnight - then plug in when my first alarm goes off), but then I switched to a slower charger and did overnight charging instead. When I inevitably wake up in the middle of the night and see the phone is charge I pull it off the charger. Otherwise I leave for work at 7am and get up at 6 so charging really has to happen overnight.

I put more thought into this than the average person, most just charge overnight without ever thinking about it. And for perspective I'm using a 3 year old phone that I've used heavily without any noticeable battery degradation vs a 6-7 month old phone. It should be much too early for my charging habits to have hurt the phone if they're going to.

Anyway I'll try it without optimized charging if you're thinking that it's another broken feature.

Sorry for derailing this thread. Somehow I ended up complaining about the new phone in the old phones battery discussion.

To be clear, there is nothing (besides not doing it) you can do to stop your battery degrading quicker if you charge overnight.

I've explained this 100s of times, if you charge overnight your battery will not last as long - period, it's as simple as that.

More to the point you really shouldn't have to. The charger should max out your battery in an hour and if you're losing more than 0-2% overnight then it has a problem anyway.

Trust me I've seen what happens to the extreme when a battery is left charging constantly, you don't want that

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
To be clear, there is nothing (besides not doing it) you can do to stop your battery degrading quicker if you charge overnight.

I've explained this 100s of times, if you charge overnight your battery will not last as long - period, it's as simple as that.

More to the point you really shouldn't have to. The charger should max out your battery in an hour and if you're losing more than 0-2% overnight then it has a problem anyway.

Trust me I've seen what happens to the extreme when a battery is left charging constantly, you don't want that
I'm not sure I agree that optimized charging (trickle charging to full by morning) is harder than dash charging. It just doesn't make sense. Other than opinion, do you have proof? I've got some pretty old batteries.

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
I'm not sure I agree that optimized charging (trickle charging to full by morning) is harder than dash charging. It just doesn't make sense. Other than opinion, do you have proof? I've got some pretty old batteries.
Btw I'm using an 8 year old ThinkPad with the original battery that spent most of its years plugged in and sitting at 100% before the boss gave it to me. Battery is still good considering the age.

I agree that being stuck on the charger is not great for batteries, but neither is running them low. They like to be anywhere in the middle, which is why "optimized charging" in theory should be a good idea. The wear and tear from overnight charging is nowhere near what you're saying it is especially if it keeps you from running it nearly to empty.

Up above you were talking like a 2 year old phone is basically worn out due to capacitor degradation and stuff. After reading that I feel I should take your other comments with a grain of salt. I just had a 6 year old Galaxy s6 finally die that I was using in the truck as a dashboard, was working okay up until it bootlooped (after a couple cold nights forgotten in the truck), I had an HTC one m8 from 2014 I just sold to someone cheap to use as a phone only. Battery was still good, but the internal storage got messed up. My friend was using the Motorola moto x 2013 up until last year, original battery still holding up. I could go on.

Phones can last much longer than 3 years if you're willing to replace the battery at some point in the 2-4 year range if needed and possibly a charging port. Yeah the rest of the phone will degrade over time and I've seen it on a couple, but nothing like you're claiming.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8

I highly doubt that ThinkPad is as good as it was.

Yea you can keep using the device for years, but the battery will have suffered.

If you have a phone that's running low because you didn't charge it overnight then lol your phone had a problem, like I said you should lose very very little charge overnight 0-2%

Proof? Phones are all different, your devices will vary between what you buy, some will have better stamina than others even if it's the same model, some dissipate heat better, some are freakishly great for battery or just don't seem to degrade over time compared to others, that's quite normal.

I can only talk about my experiences.

I used to work a lot with phones as well as all types of kit, always get phones for free etc.

One of the devices i had was for transferring any data between any two devices.

This had a large lithium battery in it, I never unplugged it for about 1 year (and this was worth over £2k back in 2015)

It was a mobile device so I didn't need to charge it, same or superior capacitors as a mobile device.

Over time what I noticed was the SIM slot which was external, started getting harder to fit the SIM into, eventually it was impossible, then I noticed the device was getting larger, so I popped one of the screws out of it and the other ripped open.

The battery which was about the size of a phone initially had easily tripled in size, it'd never been wet or mistreated besides being charged for a long period of time, the battery was close to exploding, this was an extremely high grade battery in professional kit.

Also used to work in a phones where the phones are constantly charging (only on 0.5 and 1amp chargers which is what you wrote regard as trickle today)

Nearly every single phone began to show symptoms of degradation after about 4 months, after six months to a year most phones were unusable, not all but a lot.

The worst affected were Nokia, Sony and Samsung, iPhones, LG and HTC were the least affected but also showed symptoms after time, sometimes the same phone would exhibit issues whereas an identical phone would not.

Symptoms included but not limited to:

Unresponsive screen
Inability to hold a charge
Random reboot
False touches on screen
Audio anomalies
Completely dead unit
Unable to charge
Freezing

You get the point, also over the years my wife hasn't listened and charges overnight and after the year or two years we're into our contracts my phone always has the better battery, same with friends and family.

I appreciate that some of these examples are extreme but if you're consistently charging overnight then I'm sorry but you're still doing something very similar and over a period of time this will 100% have an effect on your battery, it's not a case of if it's a case of when.

You're putting your phone in the hands of capacitors and also the hope that the excess heat won't damage the battery.

It's completely your call and your phone, Google it, don't Google it.

You're wrong if you think charging overnight for years doesn't affect the battery, end of story.

I've met people like you who have their heads firmly in the sand and to be quite honest I haven't the inclination nor the effort to attempt to change your mind.

Let's see who has the better screen on time in 2 years, at the moment I get between 8 and 11 hours.

My OnePlus 5 I was able to achieve 14 hours over two days, I have a thread called screen on time leaderboard.

Have a look, all stats and screens are listed.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OnePlus 5 Battery Life Thread

Hi all,

I figure it would be useful to get a battery life thread going so we can see what type of performance we can get and also understand how people might be improving their battery performance.

I haven't done one full battery drain yet as I only got the phone yesterday. I will be doing that on this cycle to see how it performs. For reference I am at 90% after about 7 ½ hours having put down at 100% and not on the charger when I slept. I had 2% battery drain over night (slept maybe 6 ½ hours) and have 54 minutes SOT (light usage, just messaging, Twitter, slack, chrome etc) with the remaining 8%. I'm not sure how OP phones battery life reduce, I know LG always has a strong first 10% and then rapidly drops off for example.

In terms of setup, I am rooted and using Doze Settings Editor (GeraldRudi preset), Naptime, Leandroid (but I need to figure out if this is actually working). I am also using dark themes were possible as these are better for AMOLED screens. I've also tweaked kernel in EXKM but nothing major that would positively impact battery.
    Haha ironically, I'm now getting crap batter life lol, one rogue app, doing a bit of bug testing for cash and it's had an impact on idle battery.

Definitely need a fresh reinstall at some point.

Need to break that 15 hour SOT.

What's the highest anyone's ever got ??

The OP should be updated with a leaderboard.. actually I might make one myself.
    15 hrs on New kernel.
    how on the earth you managed that ?

Details please ? Also can you tap on the graph and post a ss.
    Basically he didn't do much with his phone.
    Let's make this the official battery life thread for the Oneplus 5, enjoy :good:
    Holy Cow, I can't say anymore about this phone! Simply amazing!

-Bone Stock 4.5.3, Unrooted
    -Still have the stock screen protector
    -Auto-Brightness On
    -Bluetooth connected to Fitbit
    -GPS and Location Services On
    -Night Mode On All Day
    -Not running Greenify or any battery saver apps.
    -All Cell Data on T-Mobile, No Wifi
    -Battery Saver turns on at 5 %

Slept 8 hours over night unplugged and I just achieved 11 HOURS OF SOT IN ONE FULL CHARGE!!! I have never seen anything like it in all my years owning Android phones.
    Incredible!
    d7c361bd4c429a2656e102430b481f21.jpg
    ad0b01d69515b103c8e3c01446de794d.jpg
    9b27c4dc3efb4223b3258e0b3f924251.jpg
    05433b5f13ee3b7ade4b8076421e0e4b.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk