[OP7PRO][LATEST OOS 11.0.5.1 GM21AA/GM21BA] Collection of unbrick tools

Search This thread

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
bro use bootcamp..and Windows 10 is free man...download it from Microsoft...skip serial...and do what u gotta do...i do ALL my modding on my MacBook Pro...

Thank you very much. However, there is no such thing as Bootcamp under Linux, and I don't want to buy a Mac.

I'll figure out some sort of dual boot thing for Linux. I wish I didn't have to do this, simply to reflash my hosed OnePlus 7Pro every now and then, but I guess it's the only option.

neogodless

Nov 9, 2010
This started because of bugs in 11.0.0.2, and I miss 10.3.8 and hope to find a way back. You can probably skip the long explanation of how I ended up here...

Ever since my update from Oxygen OS 10.3.8 to 11.0.0.2, I've had a major issue where the lock screen image doesn't match the input (the pattern or number pad is bigger than the glass, but the touch input doesn't know this and expects the correct input.) Last night I tried a factory reset, had a ton of issues in set up including constant flickering and being stuck on a black screen, but after a forced restart, everything seemed perfect. Then this morning the lock screen glitch resurfaced. So I went down this rabbit hole.

Among other things, I successfully put Lineage 18.1 with Gapps on, but I'm not crazy about it and just wish I was back on 10.3.8. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to sideload the 10.3.8. I could not get the TWRP flash boot to work - the phone sits froze with a 1+ logo and I have to type in
Code:
fastboot reboot
which still works fine. I attempted to use Magisk while in Lineage 18.1 to make a 10.3.8 image that includes Magisk, but I'm not sure that's possible (maybe you need to start on 10.3.8?) At any rate, the image I made with Magisk, pulled off my phone and tried to fastboot flash boot to would not boot, and instead I'd get stuck on the bootloader without being able to enter recovery. But I could always reload the Lineage recovery and boot into it, and reset back to Lineage if needed. But that's not what I want.

So now I'm trying to get the MSM tool to work on my GM1915 US/International OnePlus 7 Pro in EDL mode. Took a while but at this point I am able to start the MSM process, enum my COM port as "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008" ... but I tried to use this 10.3.8 installer from the first post here, and I get an error message after the first few steps of the process that "Device not match image." Do I need a 11.0.0.2 image / MSM install tool instead? I don't really want to go back to 11, but I could probably deal with it for now, and then maybe I can make a working Magisk image?

EDIT: OK yes I think the OP here omits GM1915. I found a T-Mobile Stock MSM tool and installed that. I am going through setup now - I think this is Android 9 / Oxygen OS 10? Not what I want the phone to land out, but hopefully there's a clear path from there to 10.3.8? -- Yeah this is OOS 9.5.10.GM31CB (Android 9) and... since it's T-Mobile-ized now, my SIM does not work. So I'll have to figure out how to re-International-ize this. (It was done before I bought it on used.)

So my big new question as I scour the forums... is it possible for someone with no T-Mobile SIM to SIM unlock this phone once more? *sigh* what a day.

Reactions: freecity01

neogodless

Nov 9, 2010
Last edited:
Reactions: freecity01

freecity01

Jan 31, 2012
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was having the exact same issue with my t-mobile variant of the OP7P and your post saved me!!

Justinpfla407

Dec 6, 2020
This started because of bugs in 11.0.0.2, and I miss 10.3.8 and hope to find a way back. You can probably skip the long explanation of how I ended up here...

Ever since my update from Oxygen OS 10.3.8 to 11.0.0.2, I've had a major issue where the lock screen image doesn't match the input (the pattern or number pad is bigger than the glass, but the touch input doesn't know this and expects the correct input.) Last night I tried a factory reset, had a ton of issues in set up including constant flickering and being stuck on a black screen, but after a forced restart, everything seemed perfect. Then this morning the lock screen glitch resurfaced. So I went down this rabbit hole.

Among other things, I successfully put Lineage 18.1 with Gapps on, but I'm not crazy about it and just wish I was back on 10.3.8. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to sideload the 10.3.8. I could not get the TWRP flash boot to work - the phone sits froze with a 1+ logo and I have to type in
Code:
fastboot reboot
which still works fine. I attempted to use Magisk while in Lineage 18.1 to make a 10.3.8 image that includes Magisk, but I'm not sure that's possible (maybe you need to start on 10.3.8?) At any rate, the image I made with Magisk, pulled off my phone and tried to fastboot flash boot to would not boot, and instead I'd get stuck on the bootloader without being able to enter recovery. But I could always reload the Lineage recovery and boot into it, and reset back to Lineage if needed. But that's not what I want.

So now I'm trying to get the MSM tool to work on my GM1915 US/International OnePlus 7 Pro in EDL mode. Took a while but at this point I am able to start the MSM process, enum my COM port as "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008" ... but I tried to use this 10.3.8 installer from the first post here, and I get an error message after the first few steps of the process that "Device not match image." Do I need a 11.0.0.2 image / MSM install tool instead? I don't really want to go back to 11, but I could probably deal with it for now, and then maybe I can make a working Magisk image?

EDIT: OK yes I think the OP here omits GM1915. I found a T-Mobile Stock MSM tool and installed that. I am going through setup now - I think this is Android 9 / Oxygen OS 10? Not what I want the phone to land out, but hopefully there's a clear path from there to 10.3.8? -- Yeah this is OOS 9.5.10.GM31CB (Android 9) and... since it's T-Mobile-ized now, my SIM does not work. So I'll have to figure out how to re-International-ize this. (It was done before I bought it on used.)

So my big new question as I scour the forums... is it possible for someone with no T-Mobile SIM to SIM unlock this phone once more? *sigh* what a day.
what \\\\\\

Code:
fastboot reboot

can you please tell me which t mobile tool you used?

TermoZour

Nov 13, 2014
Arad, Romania
How did you get the Qualcomm driver to install? In my case after I right click on the device in Device Manager and select the folde with the .cab file, Windows says it can't find any driver for my device.

If I untick "Include subfolders" then it tells me "The location you specified does not contain any .INF files".
If I unarchive the .cab in a folder and pick that, it tells me "Windows found drivers but encountered an error. The system cannot find the file specified."

On another note, after using some setup.exe for the qualcomm driver I found online, it detected my device as QDLoader 9008 but the MSM tool would get stuck at "param preload" for over 600 seconds!! Clicking stop won't actually stop the device and I am unable to quit MSM tool. I have to restart Windows in order to try again.

What's wrong here?

EDIT: After 5 hours of painstakingly trying to bring my phone back to life I found what the issue was. THE DRIVERS.

I tried to use the MSM tool on my Windows PC with drivers found online. As I've said before, I couldn't install the driver linked in this thread.
By chance I tried another Windows PC (with version OLDER than 20H2 - can't remember exactly which) and it offered to install Qualcomm driver from Windows Update. It detected my phone correctly and the process was done in about 10 minutes. I got my phone back!

If there is any way to pack that driver so I can share it here for others to use, let me know! I'd be more than happy to share another driver which worked in my case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hyperling

dialfonzo

Aug 11, 2008
Started my journey by installing LineageOS 18.1 and then tried to install TWRP which at one point deleted my recovery and i was in a loop...

Many thanks for this post / software / solution it UnBricked my device

didymus

Jan 19, 2020
Moto G7 Play
OnePlus 7 Pro
Man, I am trying to install OOS 10.3.8, but the *only* thing I can get the phone recognized as by my computer is `Kedacom USB Device` via the driver suggested by Window's Update. I can't get Device Manager to even recognize any of the "Qualcom" ones. I unpacked the cab too.

Anyway, I guess I'm going to just research `Kedacom` in this thread and hope I misspelled it the first time, lol.

mobilityguy

Aug 18, 2010
Boston, MA
OnePlus 7 Pro
I just bought a GM1915 7 Pro on Swappa. The seller did me the "favor" of upgrading to OOS 11, and I've been trying to do anything that would get me back to OOS 10 since 11 just keeps serving up one bug after another. Nothing I've tried so far has worked.

TWRP... 3.5.2 and 3.5.0 won't boot through fastboot, just sticks on the "fastboot mode" screen until I fastboot reboot back to system. So, no TWRP.

Magisk... won't install because there's no boot.img to modify in the OTA package. So, no root.

MSM/EDL.. fails because it never gets past the "preparing..." state (I waited two hours). Even after all that time in the blank screen EDL mode it still boots back to OOS 11. So, no clean restore. I'd almost prefer if it bricked at this point.

I just came across this thread and noticed the T-Mobile 1915 variant is not in the list of models supported by the unbrick tool. Other people have said that they used it but it turned their 1915 to the international model, and they had SIM card problems.

I should be able to get this phone SIM unlocked by T-Mobile - I'm a long time customer. My question - if I SIM unlock and use the international MSM tool, will I end up with a working phone running 10.3.8 that supports my T-Mobile SIM? Will I be able to restore the system and data partitions of my daily driver OP7 Pro and end up with a functional duplicate of my main phone?

I thought OnePlus was supposed to be friendly to this kind of operation. I never had a problem with my OP3T or my other OP7 Pro which is still on 10.3.8. Has OOS 11 locked people out of modding their OnePlus phones?

mobilityguy

Aug 18, 2010
Boston, MA
OnePlus 7 Pro
OK, no responses to my questions yet, so I'll ask the most important question by itself. I'm trying to boot a custom recovery so I can do something - anything - with this GM1915.

I've downloaded TWRP 3.5.0 and 3.5.2 for the device, and the Lineage custom recovery. I have the bootloader unlocked and USB debugging set.

I boot into Fastboot, get the usual Fastboot screen , and on my PC I type "fastboot boot {recovery}.img.

The PC says "downloading boot.img...".

The phone displays the words "Fastboot mode" and the OnePlus logo, and a few seconds later reboots into OOS.

What am I doing wrong? The phone is useless to me if I can't install anything.

Thanks.

Hyperling

How did you get the Qualcomm driver to install? In my case after I right click on the device in Device Manager and select the folde with the .cab file, Windows says it can't find any driver for my device.

If I untick "Include subfolders" then it tells me "The location you specified does not contain any .INF files".
If I unarchive the .cab in a folder and pick that, it tells me "Windows found drivers but encountered an error. The system cannot find the file specified."

On another note, after using some setup.exe for the qualcomm driver I found online, it detected my device as QDLoader 9008 but the MSM tool would get stuck at "param preload" for over 600 seconds!! Clicking stop won't actually stop the device and I am unable to quit MSM tool. I have to restart Windows in order to try again.

What's wrong here?

EDIT: After 5 hours of painstakingly trying to bring my phone back to life I found what the issue was. THE DRIVERS.

I tried to use the MSM tool on my Windows PC with drivers found online. As I've said before, I couldn't install the driver linked in this thread.
By chance I tried another Windows PC (with version OLDER than 20H2 - can't remember exactly which) and it offered to install Qualcomm driver from Windows Update. It detected my phone correctly and the process was done in about 10 minutes. I got my phone back!

If there is any way to pack that driver so I can share it here for others to use, let me know! I'd be more than happy to share another driver which worked in my case.

I've been getting this same "The system cannot find the file specified" problem from Device Manager and FINALLY figured out how to get up-to-date Windows 10 to work!!

Assuming the device is already plugged into the computer in EDL mode:

After the prompt gets the error from trying to load the cab file it will offer to search Windows Update to find a driver. After one or two of saying "Yes, please search" in Device Manager it will open the Windows Update section of Windows Settings and there's a little "Optional Updates" section that's collapsed. If you go to it, it offers this driver:

1632081073930.png

Check the box for the driver, allow Windows Update to install it, then Device Manager should properly have the Qualcomm device under Ports instead of Other Devices. MSM should now recognize the device and be able to flash it!

1632081044093.png

I finally have my device working again!! :D

1632081169208.png

-=Guybrush=-

Jan 15, 2012
I've searched for them everywhere to no avail: are there MsmDownloadTool packages for the OnePlus 7 Pro 5G too? I have scoured the latest 10.0.10 OxygenOS OTA rom, extracted the contents from payload.bin and then tried to understand if there is a way to build an .ops package from there but unfortunately it doesn't seem a feasible way to follow. I have to say that OnePlus modding is quite poorly documented and that's a pity considered how unlocking the bootloader is easy for example. Just to make things even worse, the 7 Pro 5G has the worst support overall, more or less zero. :( Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

-=Guybrush=-

Jan 15, 2012
Just to better explain what I was looking forward, I know how to make a search and I had already found the thread with the recovery package for the guacamoleg (OP 7 Pro 5G) but it's an old package, on Pie while I was on R and I fear downgrading (though through EDL) could make things even worse.
I've also found this extremely useful repository containing unbrick packages for many (if not all the recent ones) OnePlus models BUT, given that OnePlus provides only OTA packages, I'm sure that a way to build those EDL recovery packages from them should certainly exist and knowing it would be of great help generally speaking.

Last edited:
Reactions: khalisz

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
Has anyone been able to get the OOS 10.3.8 MsmDownloadTool working with a Windows VM running under Linux ubuntu 20 virtualbox ?

When I run in this environment, the program doesn't see the device being connected via the USB port.

In Linux itself, the machine can easily see the device via fastboot and adb.

If anyone has gotten MsmDownloadTool to work in a virtual Windows environment running under Linux, could you post step-by-step instructions of how you got that to work? If not with virtualbox, perhaps with a different VM manager?

Thank you very much.

blas4me

Has anyone been able to get the OOS 10.3.8 MsmDownloadTool working with a Windows VM running under Linux ubuntu 20 virtualbox ?

When I run in this environment, the program doesn't see the device being connected via the USB port.

In Linux itself, the machine can easily see the device via fastboot and adb.

If anyone has gotten MsmDownloadTool to work in a virtual Windows environment running under Linux, could you post step-by-step instructions of how you got that to work? If not with virtualbox, perhaps with a different VM manager?

Thank you very much.
You can do everything from command-line in Linux. I've done it a couple of times, you'll have to google the commands, I lost a auto script that I made. If you hold volume up+down, should put you in Diag mode. It's been a while for me, but I think I was able to use MSM with wine, it only needed DiretX drivers to run, and wine can handle that. If you can extract the payload.bin from OOS stock, you can use those img's to restore your phone from a hard brick. You could take a look here. https://www.getdroidtips.com/unbrick-oneplus-device/

budakthegil

Aug 6, 2016
oneplus 7pro GM1915 is what version to use..already try international n europe not work..eror device mismatch or device not match

Top Liked Posts