• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

OP7T Pro MClaren Stock Android 10 T-Mobile (5g)

Search This thread

siani_8

Dec 13, 2009
Bristol, PA
Yep, that's what I use and was gonna suggest...

Hmm, hehe, try this...

It downloads the OTA package to

/data/ota_package/payload_metadata.bin

If there's a file there, delete it, then create a blank file named payload_metadata.bin and remove all permissions from the file (--- --- --- or 0000) so the system can't overwrite it.

Hey, I appreciate this suggestion. It actually worked for a little bit but the system eventually found a way to rollback and delete the file with no permissions. Do you know what app or service is responsible for the auto system update? I really need to stop it.

Edit: Apologies, I see your other suggestion Use Magisk to "over-write" systemlessly /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip with a blank file named otacerts.zip but I'm not really sure how to do that. I'll assume the first step is to click on the "Systemless Host" option but I'm really unfamiliar with how to really use this app effectively.

Back in the day, I'd follow instructions to root and then try custom Roms, often making my own theme changes and flavors before re-zipping and using a zip signer that someone made that I'm not even sure works with the current state of things. Thanks again.

Last edited:

starcms

Hey, I appreciate this suggestion. It actually worked for a little bit but the system eventually found a way to rollback and delete the file with no permissions. Do you know what app or service is responsible for the auto system update? I really need to stop it.

Edit: Apologies, I see your other suggestion Use Magisk to "over-write" systemlessly /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip with a blank file named otacerts.zip but I'm not really sure how to do that. I'll assume the first step is to click on the "Systemless Host" option but I'm really unfamiliar with how to really use this app effectively.

Back in the day, I'd follow instructions to root and then try custom Roms, often making my own theme changes and flavors before re-zipping and using a zip signer that someone made that I'm not even sure works with the current state of things. Thanks again.
Just take a Magisk module someone else already made (a basic one that only changes one or a couple files, one that changes just the boot animation would do well), install it like normal and reboot, go to /data/adb/magisk/name-of-module/ you'll see /system and other files and folders in there that said module is changing, delete everything in /system/ directory and add /etc/security/ and drop your blank/fake otacerts.zip in there, reboot, and you're good to go. That's my extremely lazy ass way of doing it :)

And save the template of /name-of-module/system/ somewhere for next time so you can just dump it in /data/adb/magisk with a different "name-of-module"

Edit: and yeah, all those old tricks don't work anymore, everything has to be done systemlessly using Magisk...and if I knew what service it was I'd happily tell you ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: siani_8

davnc18

Apr 15, 2015
Hello , google play services is the one doing the OTA download , i did try to stop it but it did download and install de update anyways .

I don't know how it bypass all the things I try.
1. Delete the otacerts.zip did not work
2. adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.oneplus.opbackup. Didn't work
3.denied google play services permission to write to storage didn't work

The only thing that works is putting your phone on battery saver and set your wifi to metered connection

siani_8

Dec 13, 2009
Bristol, PA
Just take a Magisk module someone else already made (a basic one that only changes one or a couple files, one that changes just the boot animation would do well), install it like normal and reboot, go to /data/adb/magisk/name-of-module/ you'll see /system and other files and folders in there that said module is changing, delete everything in /system/ directory and add /etc/security/ and drop your blank/fake otacerts.zip in there, reboot, and you're good to go. That's my extremely lazy ass way of doing it :)

And save the template of /name-of-module/system/ somewhere for next time so you can just dump it in /data/adb/magisk with a different "name-of-module"

Edit: and yeah, all those old tricks don't work anymore, everything has to be done systemlessly using Magisk...and if I knew what service it was I'd happily tell you ;)

Good looking out. I'm actually glad it was issues that brought me back to land of learning Android again. I think I'm pretty good at deductive reasoning but when it comes to logic, I sometimes skip the scientific method, thinking I can figure things out intuitively and I often will.

This time though, there was an unusual coincidence I failed to see because (and I hate to say it because I'm at least better than this) I let the narrative find the facts instead of the other way around like all the BS media does these days.

In a nutshell:

I buy a brand new 5G McLaren January 2019 outright from a T-Mo store because I don't like contracts.

I crack my screen July/August 2020 and I get sent a refurb

Already had issues out of the gate. The OnePlus Switch/transfer app didn't restore everything (completely ignored Notes and I was doing a lot of research at the time and had enough to write a short book lol) At the same time, my Backup from Google failed and was apparently corrupted as well. Lost a lot of pictures that only Google has now I guess. Series of unfortunate events.

I begin to have sound issues that I'm convinced is software and not hardware and I still don't think I'm wrong.

After messing with way too many system apps, clearing individual app data, to band-aid an increasingly more frequent sound corruption issue, I finally get a Qualcomm Crash Dump "Die" error lol.

To my surprise there's tools here for that so I give it 'many' shots trying to address the error. Hardly anything here is like riding a bike if you haven't done any of this in 10 years and so much has changed....I read a LOT but still probably didn't read enough and sometimes experience is the best teacher.

I still have sound issues

Pegged it down to Google (on 10) and Google/Device personalization Services with A11.
Completely reproducible that as soon as I see there is an update available, the system is in the background making changes to both partitions apparently. I know because I'll get sound working while offline but as soon as I connect, the inevitable starts again.

Depending on the changes I makes to system apps/settings/permissions, I can slow the inevitable down or speed it up and the phone will factory reset itself if there's too many revoked google permissions.

Last night, after a clean install once again via MSM unbrick and MSM unlock bootloader, I did things a little differently. I didn't put in my SIM but I didn't boot skip all the either. I skipped the google, but I did register a pin and fingerprint. I think TWRP (at least the new ones out since I've been back) has less errors if I decrypt with a pin instead of leaving it open....anyway....

Instead of just leaving SIM out and not connecting to wi-fi, I also did the initial (and subsequent boots from this point) in Safe Mode. I had been trying to tackle the issue with all stock apps left alone...I don't know why, I just wanted to figure out why 'my' device was behaving differently than most.

I then proceeded to go to town with some extreme de-bloating and it felt good...like a huge middle finger to this problem driving me insane.

I did however do it in conservative blocks at a time so I wouldn't anger my temperamental phone or give myself too many apps to look at if an issue did arise. I tried to do the packages that were net.* first, followed by Qualcomm and OEM, then android, and finally Google and whatever was left.

After each block of removed apps, I booted to bootloader, then booted into TWRP so I could clear the Dalvik cache. I was on OS 10.0.36 and using TWRP_35111_20210821 (condensed the file format for my own use). I would then boot into safe mode again and do the next block. Rinse and repeat.

Sound was with me the whole time except for after a small block where maybe removing STK affected it but I put it back, rebooted and had sound consistently from then on through the process.

I then read on a de-bloat thread for Oneplus 8 maybe that it wasn't advisable to remove com.wdstechnology.android.kryten because it had something to do with OTA's so best to leave it alone.. not me lol... let's break it! Edit: I think I removed google services by accident too on that run lol. Not wonder it broke the playstore.

So I removed it hahahahaha. Afterwards, I had no idea if I potentially stopped OTA or not because the GUI that shows if you're updated or have an update available was just gone. The only way I knew how to find out at that point was to just drop in my SIM, enable wi-fi etc. and see where it goes.

Turns out I did stop the OTA....as well as break the PlayStore so it couldn't do it's usual foolery in the background tied to my issue either. I made phone calls to friends, ordered my first pizza in months and was feeling pretty good because I had sound and mic way longer than usual and the whole system minus Playstore seemed to be running better than it ever had as well.

Then I installed Magisk through TWRP and again after boot in anticipation of finally changing the boot animation and at least have Root Explorer to clear Dalvik without all the rebooting to TWRP nonsense when I lost sound. What?! Playstore was still broke and I didn't think the OTA was working so I uninstalled Magisk and sound was back after reboot. I repeated the process of reinstalling Magisk, losing sound, uninstalling Magisk and getting sound back a few times. It definitely seems to be having an affect on my device.

All of the brief instructions (mostly tied to obtaining root and not the ins and outs of the app) I've encounters thus far mention that Google Play services should be hidden and unless there's an app like a bank app or something to hide, that less hidden is better because issues can manifest by hiding too much as well so I haven't really dug into that too much yet in an attempt to stay somewhat focused. I do wonder what is happening though.

Either way I have two things seemingly affecting sound on my device now so I'm going to EDL/MSM hopefully one more time before I get the unlock token and just see what I can do with debloating once it updates to A11. I don't really need root I guess. It would have been nice to at least get rid of my pink startup and was kind of looking forward to learning some cool things with Tasker again but if I can get this thing to make phone calls, I'll be happy.

I was doing some reading yesterday and it sounds like media was moved with 11 and this shift to modules that I know nothing about. I'm theorizing that when that happens, my device isn't "getting with the program" and looking for media in the new location and that's why sound, ALL sound is just gone.

You're probably not interested in novels and maybe I did that more for my own mental structuring.

TL:DR Learning to read Logs is probably important.

Last edited:

starcms

Hello , google play services is the one doing the OTA download , i did try to stop it but it did download and install de update anyways .

The only thing that works is putting your phone on battery saver and set your wifi to metered connection

Google Play Services is responsible for the transparent Project Mainline updates (in Security Settings the "Google Play System Update" ), not for OTAs which update the "Security Update" and which in this case update OOS10 to OOS11.

Also you cannot delete or directly modify otacerts.zip, as it is in /system. It can be over-written with a blank or corrupt otacerts.zip file using Magisk, however.

davnc18

Apr 15, 2015
Google Play Services is responsible for the transparent Project Mainline updates (in Security Settings the "Google Play System Update" ), not for OTAs which update the "Security Update" and which in this case update OOS10 to OOS11.

Also you cannot delete or directly modify otacerts.zip, as it is in /system. It can be over-written with a blank or corrupt otacerts.zip file using Magisk, however.
Sir my / system is r/w using this wonderful zip
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/script-android-10-universal-mount-system-read-write-r-w.4247311/

One you flash that zip you can delete or write whatever you want to your whole root partition

Check it out
Believe me I have try everything to stop the android 11 update

And google play services is the one doing the whole thing take a look a the OnePlus 8 forums they are in the same boat

I did a lot of research and Believe me nothing stops google play services from doing it things ,I tried everything

davnc18

Apr 15, 2015
Screenshot_20210926-060719.jpg

starcms

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/script-android-10-universal-mount-system-read-write-r-w.4247311/

One you flash that zip you can delete or write whatever you want to your whole root partition

Check it out

And google play services is the one doing the whole thing take a look a the OnePlus 8 forums they are in the same boat

I did a lot of research and Believe me nothing stops google play services from doing it things ,I tried everything

I wouldn't ever risk running that on this device. You are likely to turn it into a hard brick, or at the very least, never be able to take an OTA ever again since one cannot manually download and install OTAs, you'll be stuck on whatever version you are on forever, and even risk losing things such as HD calling and SA 5G. Most likely wind up with a hard brick if trying to run the MSM tool afterwards to try and restore since we've already proven the MSM tool does not restore everything. If you are willing to go to those lengths, just sell the phone while it is still working and buy one that isn't so completely unforgiving as the HD1925 has proven to be

Last edited:

starcms

Google Play Services was updated to layer on top of the OTA install to provide the same UI for updates on all devices in A11.

But if you go to settings, security & lockscreen, Security update (instead of settings, system, Security update) you'll see the same screen bring "run" by Settings instead of Google Play Services. However, neither Settings not Google Play Services are responsible for the OTA install -- it's a service buried in System which is responsible and why it can't be stopped.

Last edited:

davnc18

Apr 15, 2015
Well I did flash it when my phone was on Android 10 than thinking google play services wouldn't upgrade my phone to android 11 ...and guess what it did upgrade my phone to android 11 ...so no worry's
Then I downgraded to android 10 again using Msndownload and it was all good until the next morning when I find out the phone was updated to android 11

Nothing better than having system r/w

davnc18

Apr 15, 2015
Well I did flash it when my phone was on Android 10 than thinking google play services wouldn't upgrade my phone to android 11 ...and guess what it did upgrade my phone to android 11 ...so no worry's
Then I downgraded to android 10 again using Msndownload and it was all good until the next morning when I find out the phone was updated to android 11

Nothing better than having system r/w
So now
Google Play Services was updated to layer on top of the OTA install to provide the same UI on all devices in A11.

But if you go to settings, security & lockscreen, Security update (instead of settings, system, Security update) you'll see the same screen bring "run" by Settings instead of Google Play Servic

Google Play Services was updated to layer on top of the OTA install to provide the same UI for updates on all devices in A11.

But if you go to settings, security & lockscreen, Security update (instead of settings, system, Security update) you'll see the same screen bring "run" by Settings instead of Google Play Services. However, neither Settings not Google Play Services are responsible for the OTA install -- it's a service buried in System which is responsible and why it can't be stopped.
If you run packet capture when the system is downloading android 11 , google play services is the one that shows doing the ota download

xgamers96

Oct 11, 2021
TRY THIS to disable update
adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.oneplus.opbackup

Code:
E:\downloads\platform-tools_r31.0.2-windows\platform-tools>adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.oneplus.opbackup

Exception occurred while executing:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown package: com.oneplus.opbackup
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.setEnabledSetting(PackageManagerService.java:22148)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.setApplicationEnabledSetting(PackageManagerService.java:22092)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.runSetEnabledSetting(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:1847)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerShellCommand.onCommand(PackageManagerShellCommand.java:219)
        at android.os.ShellCommand.exec(ShellCommand.java:104)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onShellCommand(PackageManagerService.java:22759)
        at android.os.Binder.shellCommand(Binder.java:892)
        at android.os.Binder.onTransact(Binder.java:776)
        at android.content.pm.IPackageManager$Stub.onTransact(IPackageManager.java:4883)
        at com.android.server.pm.PackageManagerService.onTransact(PackageManagerService.java:4224)
        at android.os.Binder.execTransactInternal(Binder.java:1032)
        at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:1005)this is what comes after that command was executed
this is the result after that command was executed on my HD1925

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Only for OP7T PRO MCLAREN EDITION (5G) T-MOBILE

Someone is experiencing issues in android 11 in op7t pro MClaren Edition 5g (T-mobile). If your phone is bricked or you want to downgrade to stock android 10 - please follow the procedure below.....

1. Download the zip from here - op7t pro mclaren 5g - android 10
    2. Unzip it.
    3. Install qualcom driver from L2 drivers folder (If needed)
    4. Run as administrator - MSMdownload Tool v.4 - from hotdogg_13_A.01_210311_repack folder.
    5. Log in as other.
    6. Power off your device . Hold volume up and down together and connect usb through original usb cable || You will be connected in EDL mode.
    7. If com port is connected than start the flash from above left corner.

Tips : If com port is not connected try to power off your device and try again to enter into EDL mode (Do that until com is connected) .

TRY THIS TO DISABLE UPDATE:
    adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.oneplus.opbackup

Check it out