[OP8][OOS TMO 55CB] Unbrick tool to restore your device to OxygenOS

Search This thread

pro_granade

Jan 22, 2013
Kansas City
Yeah just bricked trying to fastboot ROM convert. Could you upload a mirror to this or provide the password for the mirror there already?

livinginkaos

Nov 17, 2012
Oregon
I've had an issue with the 10.5.8.IN55CB update not wanting to install. I assume it's that stupid bug where a factory wipe deletes a needed file- I purchased this on Swappa and have wiped it myself a couple times. In any case, I read somewhere using the unbrick tool will get it back on track - which makes sense since it is a factory image. Anyway, my problem is that regardless of how I get into EDL mode, whether it be adb or vol. buttons, it will be detected correctly, but the MSM tool does not start and after about 10 seconds, the phone just reboots on its own. I've tried multiple machines all the same results. I've installed the updated Qual drivers. Any ideas?

UPDATE: I actually got it on my original machine finally. After a few reboots of my desktop, when I opened the MSM tool, it finally showed the COM ports sitting idle. Previously, they were not present. I then started the tool, then rebooted into EDL from ADB and it took off.

UPDATE 2: I just wanted to confirm that this DID take care of the System Update Installation issue I had that started this whole process for me.

Last edited:

free4flight

Sep 21, 2011
Denver
I've had an issue with the 10.5.8.IN55CB update not wanting to install. I assume it's that stupid bug where a factory wipe deletes a needed file- I purchased this on Swappa and have wiped it myself a couple times. In any case, I read somewhere using the unbrick tool will get it back on track - which makes sense since it is a factory image. Anyway, my problem is that regardless of how I get into EDL mode, whether it be adb or vol. buttons, it will be detected correctly, but the MSM tool does not start and after about 10 seconds, the phone just reboots on its own. I've tried multiple machines all the same results. I've installed the updated Qual drivers. Any ideas?

UPDATE: I actually got it on my original machine finally. After a few reboots of my desktop, when I opened the MSM tool, it finally showed the COM ports sitting idle. Previously, they were not present. I then started the tool, then rebooted into EDL from ADB and it took off.

UPDATE 2: I just wanted to confirm that this DID take care of the System Update Installation issue I had that started this whole process for me.

Just wanted to say that I had to use the unbrick tool due to tmo 10.5.8 to global, did not work, messed up everything, thot I was safe with the unbrick tool, but it didn't fix it. So... called OP support and he had me do a hard reset, still didn't fix it. Now I have to send it in to get fixed. Bummer... these phones are too expensive to get em screwed up. Never had this problem before but the unbrick tool is not always the perfect solution.

XD-MOD2-9MM

Nov 12, 2018
I have a T-Mobile OnePlus 8. I let my ex-girlfriend use it and she put a fingerprint on the phone. When I start the phone up, obviously it asks me for her password to get into the phone (not to start Android) if I use this tool is it going to completely reset the phone to the point where I don't have to put in her Gmail after I reset the phone? That's how it works with the 7 Pro. not sure if it is the same here so just wondering if somebody could confirm or if anybody had any idea? Thanks

Dark Nightmare

Aug 5, 2011
WhereEverMyFeetAre
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I have a T-Mobile OnePlus 8. I let my ex-girlfriend use it and she put a fingerprint on the phone. When I start the phone up, obviously it asks me for her password to get into the phone (not to start Android) if I use this tool is it going to completely reset the phone to the point where I don't have to put in her Gmail after I reset the phone? That's how it works with the 7 Pro. not sure if it is the same here so just wondering if somebody could confirm or if anybody had any idea? Thanks

That's how it generally works, unless they've changed something this gen, which is unlikely.

XD-MOD2-9MM

Nov 12, 2018
Ya I'm trying to avoid the 250+ for an insurance replacement, and if I warranty exchange it out, T-Mobile has charged me 400 before for an "out of warranty" issue because I had reset a phone without taking my fingerprint and my security off the phone before I brought it in ??*♂️

XD-MOD2-9MM

Nov 12, 2018

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200703-094055.jpg
    Screenshot_20200703-094055.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 248

tidderMandela

Feb 8, 2020
Convert to International Version

There's a thread a guy is network unlocking TMO only. He unlocked mine and plenty others!

EDIT: His name is mobbdeep

Hey this may be a dumb question. I have the TMO OP8 - IN2017, i was just able to receive my bootloader unlock token through the oneplus/tmobile website. My goal is to be able to be able to install the beta builds of oxygen OS. I am stuck trying to figure out my next step. Do i need to flash to the international version? Is this possible with the MSM tool since i now have an unlocked bootloader?

Ive used the MSM too before on the OP7 pro. But i'm just a little confused on this one and there's not as much info of tmobile users for the OP8.

Any advice would be great thanks everyone!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: By attempting any of the processes listed in this thread you accept full responsibility for your actions. I will not be held responsible if your device stops working, catches fire, or turns into a hipster and claims to have been modified before it was cool.

Hi everyone, similar to the previous threads for
    OP3, OP3T, OP5, OP5T, OP6, OP6T, OP7, OP7PRO, regular OP7T, T-Mobile OP7T, regular OP7TPRO, T-Mobile OP7TPro 5G, regular OP8 and OP8Pro here is the EDL package (also known as MSM tool or unbrick tool) that can revive a bricked OnePlus 8 bought from T-Mobile.

It will only work with T-Mobile variant IN2017

You should also be able to rollback your phone to a previous release of OOS with them if for some reason you want to go back to an older firmware :)

You can download the following versions:

ANDROID 10:

OOS 10.5.7
    OOS 10.5.20: Gdrive - AFH (credits to @rzracer2 )
    OOS 10.5.21 (credits @LLStarks for finding it)
    OOS 10.5.22 (credits @LLStarks for finding it)

ANDROID 11:

Mirror for first and last MSMs: https://onepluscommunityserver.com/

Instructions:

Launch MsmDownloadTool V4.0.exe.

On the login prompt select "Other" in the dropdown menu and click on Next.
    Wait a few seconds until main window shows up.

Click on Target button and select TMO.
    Press Start button so that it waits for your device to be connected
    Power off your device
    Maintain volume up and down buttons to get into Qualcomm EDL mode.
    Plug your device to your computer.
    Should you not manage to do that and have adb access, you can use adb reboot edl instead
    Wait ~300 seconds.
    Enjoy your brand new device.

FAQ:

Does this work on Mac or on Linux?

Unfortunately no, tool is Windows only. You should need at least Windows 7.

Why is my antivirus freaking out when unzipping the archive or running the tool?

In an effort to protect reverse engineering from being done (and by extension prevent conversion process like it was done on 6T and 7Pro), OnePlus now use VM Protect V3 in their MSM tools. As this tries to detect debug environment, this is seen as malicious behaviour by some antivirus.

My device isn't detected

Go to device manager and make sure your phone shows up as QDLOADER 9008.
    If it shows up as QHUSB_BULK, it means Qualcomm driver wasn't installed automatically by Windows Update. Download the latest one from Microsoft website at http://download.windowsupdate.com/c..._fba473728483260906ba044af3c063e309e6259d.cab (source https://www.catalog.update.microsof...updateid=8ee52ba0-bdef-4009-88cf-335a678dd67a ) and install it manually by right clicking on QHUSB_BULK and selecting "Update driver software" and "Browse my computer for driver software" to where you downloaded CAB file.

If you can't get into EDL mode by hardware keys, you may use adb reboot edl (will require your phone to still have ADB access)

MSM tool is stuck on "Param pre-processing"

Ensure you're using the Qualcomm drivers linked above.

MSM tool is stuck on "Sahara communication failed"

Unplug your phone, get in fastboot mode, turn off phone, wait 15 secondes and get back in Qualcomm EDL mode. You can also try using a USB 2.0 port instead of a 3.0 one.

What is SMT Download mode?

Just don't try to unlock that mode, it will wipe your IMEI and your Widevine certificate if you use it.

How can I fix "SMT config not found" error?

Please refer to https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=83448961&postcount=61, all credits to @Shadow12347 for finding it out.

Credits:

@Some_Ghost for testing 10.5.7 version on his device
    @Titokhan for being a friend and providing inspiration in writing
    @AndroidFileHost for the hosting
    OnePlus for the device and OS
    I'm still having trouble booting to EDL, I've tried the volume buttons, adb command, and fastboot command, but none have worked for me. When trying the volume buttons it just brings me back to fastboot mode. I don't know what else to do.
    Ah yes. I had an "issue" there as well. I'll elaborate and try to make it easy.
    1. launch your msm tool and connect ONLY the end of the usb that plugs into your PC
    2. Power off your phone all the way.
    3. While holding down both the volume up and down keys (I use my right hand for the volume buttons), I use my left hand and plug the phone into the usb cable.
    4. MSM tool "should" say connected after your computer gives you that "ding dong" windows sound.
    5. Click on connect and click start. DO NOT TOUCH THE PHONE UNTIL IT REBOOTS ITSELF. (caps for emphasis)
    6. for good measure, I reboot the phone back into recovery and wipe all sections, meaning these 3 sections: system setting, cache, and pictures, music, etc. I wipe all three sections 3 times to delete and wipe all old stuff so that you phone boots up clean.
    7. Let me know how it goes. Yes, lots of info here but I want to give you a clean write-up and nothing half-assed. It's just the way I work. <thumbs up>
    is yours TMobile edition?

Yes, it's the T-Mobile version.

These are files I have in my system to "unbrick:" my device:
    1. OnePlus 8 T-Mobile 10.5.7 -- unzipped the file before you proceed (you all knew that)
    2. QUD.WIN.1.1+Installer-10037.3+Setup -- this is required. If need this, copy and paste this in google. These drivers were hard to find at first. Unzip the download.

3. OnePlus_USB_Drivers_Setup -- I thought these drivers were unnecessary but they are VERY necessary. (caps for emphasis)
    4. When you have unzipped the QUD.WIN.1.1+Installer-10037.3+Setup file and the OnePlus_USB_Drivers_Setup, go through the setup wizard. NOTE: Oneplus will ask you for something like "Wincom" for something of that nature, click next. It threw me as well. When the drivers have all been setup up and installed, perform a reboot to refresh Windows (it's good practice especially when dealing with drivers.

Guys who are having trouble: This is what I did. I powered off the phone completely. Launch the msm download 4.0. When the dialog box comes up, get your phone ready. When the phone is completely off, press and keep the volume up and down button pressed. Plug the small part of usb into the phone. While holding the volume up and down buttons and phone steady, I plugged in the fat end into the other usb port on your computer since we're dealing with unbricking our phone. You will know when connection is made when you hear the windows "attached" sound and you will see a "connected" text in the field on the top in the msm download tool launch box. Click on the connected to highlight this and click start. Do not play with your phone during this time. Let the program do its thing and your phone will automatically reboot when done.

I hope this helps guys. Wordy yes but it beats being confused as hell....

That's how it generally works, unless they've changed something this gen, which is unlikely.
    Ah yes. I had an "issue" there as well. I'll elaborate and try to make it easy.
    1. launch your msm tool and connect ONLY the end of the usb that plugs into your PC
    2. Power off your phone all the way.
    3. While holding down both the volume up and down keys (I use my right hand for the volume buttons), I use my left hand and plug the phone into the usb cable.
    4. MSM tool "should" say connected after your computer gives you that "ding dong" windows sound.
    5. Click on connect and click start. DO NOT TOUCH THE PHONE UNTIL IT REBOOTS ITSELF. (caps for emphasis)
    6. for good measure, I reboot the phone back into recovery and wipe all sections, meaning these 3 sections: system setting, cache, and pictures, music, etc. I wipe all three sections 3 times to delete and wipe all old stuff so that you phone boots up clean.
    7. Let me know how it goes. Yes, lots of info here but I want to give you a clean write-up and nothing half-assed. It's just the way I work. <thumbs up>

Thanks. Your steps are really helpful. just want to share my experience of connecting the phone. If you plug in your USB cable before installing drivers, you need to unplug it after the drivers installed, so the MSM can detect your phone.