[OP8][OOS TMO 55CB] Unbrick tool to restore your device to OxygenOS

Nathan.7118391

Jul 30, 2012
Arlington
Thanks, really interesting to checkout the CA details. As I read through the comments, I figured I'd go for it (saving a copy of the un-edited file for backup of course). But I'm on 11.0.2.2.IN21AA and apparently it won't work without root. Based on the comments, could NR-SA be enabled via NetworkSignalGuru with root? I have no objection to rooting if it's not a horrible process on this phone. Based on the FCC filing someone posted, it seems like OP will be enabling it via OTA at some point? Could this all be so locked-down due to an FCC requirement?
You can't use the MSM tool to flash a ROM. Is strictly for recovery purposes. If your phone is not TMO origin then I would not recommend using this tool.
The root process is pretty easy but you have to do your homework. I was on this forum for months reading everything before I tried to root. Now I go from TMO to global to TMO back to global with ease. I don't even have the updated MSM, I just use the one with 10.5.7 and take the updated. Happy modding!

satva49721

Aug 31, 2011
Can someone please help me with getting over to global firmware after unbricking my device. Whenever I use the flash-all.bat file from the global firmware zips, I get crashdump mode. I want to get back onto 11 global.

thanks.

EDIT: nevermind, i got it. used msm to get on 10.5.7 then flashed to 10.5.9 and it didnt end up in crashdump mode.

Last edited:

JoeOtterson

Jul 20, 2020
Yes, it's the T-Mobile version.

These are files I have in my system to "unbrick:" my device:
1. OnePlus 8 T-Mobile 10.5.7 -- unzipped the file before you proceed (you all knew that)
2. QUD.WIN.1.1+Installer-10037.3+Setup -- this is required. If need this, copy and paste this in google. These drivers were hard to find at first. Unzip the download.

3. OnePlus_USB_Drivers_Setup -- I thought these drivers were unnecessary but they are VERY necessary. (caps for emphasis)
4. When you have unzipped the QUD.WIN.1.1+Installer-10037.3+Setup file and the OnePlus_USB_Drivers_Setup, go through the setup wizard. NOTE: Oneplus will ask you for something like "Wincom" for something of that nature, click next. It threw me as well. When the drivers have all been setup up and installed, perform a reboot to refresh Windows (it's good practice especially when dealing with drivers.

Guys who are having trouble: This is what I did. I powered off the phone completely. Launch the msm download 4.0. When the dialog box comes up, get your phone ready. When the phone is completely off, press and keep the volume up and down button pressed. Plug the small part of usb into the phone. While holding the volume up and down buttons and phone steady, I plugged in the fat end into the other usb port on your computer since we're dealing with unbricking our phone. You will know when connection is made when you hear the windows "attached" sound and you will see a "connected" text in the field on the top in the msm download tool launch box. Click on the connected to highlight this and click start. Do not play with your phone during this time. Let the program do its thing and your phone will automatically reboot when done.

I hope this helps guys. Wordy yes but it beats being confused as hell....
I'm still having trouble booting to EDL, I've tried the volume buttons, adb command, and fastboot command, but none have worked for me. When trying the volume buttons it just brings me back to fastboot mode. I don't know what else to do.

sameog

Apr 21, 2010
San Francisco
I'm still having trouble booting to EDL, I've tried the volume buttons, adb command, and fastboot command, but none have worked for me. When trying the volume buttons it just brings me back to fastboot mode. I don't know what else to do.
Ah yes. I had an "issue" there as well. I'll elaborate and try to make it easy.
1. launch your msm tool and connect ONLY the end of the usb that plugs into your PC
2. Power off your phone all the way.
3. While holding down both the volume up and down keys (I use my right hand for the volume buttons), I use my left hand and plug the phone into the usb cable.
4. MSM tool "should" say connected after your computer gives you that "ding dong" windows sound.
5. Click on connect and click start. DO NOT TOUCH THE PHONE UNTIL IT REBOOTS ITSELF. (caps for emphasis)
6. for good measure, I reboot the phone back into recovery and wipe all sections, meaning these 3 sections: system setting, cache, and pictures, music, etc. I wipe all three sections 3 times to delete and wipe all old stuff so that you phone boots up clean.
7. Let me know how it goes. Yes, lots of info here but I want to give you a clean write-up and nothing half-assed. It's just the way I work. <thumbs up>

JoeOtterson

Jul 20, 2020
1. launch your msm tool and connect ONLY the end of the usb that plugs into your PC
3. While holding down both the volume up and down keys (I use my right hand for the volume buttons), I use my left hand and plug the phone into the usb cable.
4. MSM tool "should" say connected after your computer gives you that "ding dong" windows sound.
5. Click on connect and click start. DO NOT TOUCH THE PHONE UNTIL IT REBOOTS ITSELF. (caps for emphasis)
6. for good measure, I reboot the phone back into recovery and wipe all sections, meaning these 3 sections: system setting, cache, and pictures, music, etc. I wipe all three sections 3 times to delete and wipe all old stuff so that you phone boots up clean.
7. Let me know how it goes. Yes, lots of info here but I want to give you a clean write-up and nothing half-assed. It's just the way I work. <thumbs up>
Thank you for the response, I actually did manage to get it back to OOS 10, I ended up trying a different USB port and it worked. That and I realized nobody was saying to hold the power button with the volume keys, so I only held onto the volume and it connected.

Reactions: sameog

zrzhu

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks. Your steps are really helpful. just want to share my experience of connecting the phone. If you plug in your USB cable before installing drivers, you need to unplug it after the drivers installed, so the MSM can detect your phone.

Reactions: sameog

JCroffut

Feb 6, 2015
Morgantown
Hey guys,

I know that nobody is really going to be able to help me, and im super new to all this. i used to mess with a moto x back in the day and it was much easier than trying to do all this. i recently unlocked the bootloader on my oneplus 8 tmobile version using the unlock key i recieved from them and oneplus. I (thought) i had succesfully gotten twrp on the phone, but thats where the problems begin. I attempted to flash a rom and recieved the error that it could not mount the storage and now shows 0 storage. i can still get into fastboot and into recovery, however i can literally not do anything else. if i try to flash anything it says failed to mount storage and just cycles me right back to recovery. anyways, i tried to use the unbrick tool on my home computer, but as soon as i run the application it doesnt start, and then the icon DISAPPEARS. i tried it on my laptop, and the program runs but wont recognize my phone. now i read everything on here, prob 10 times, and i understand that its a driver issue of some kind, i just cant figure out exactly how to get those drivers right. i know nobody will prob be able to help but im at a total loss with a brand new, 2 week old oneplus 8 that has been dead for one of those weeks. Moto x was so much easier. unlock, root, flash, wipe, enjoy. this phone is my living nightmare and im not smart enough to fix it....

kool_am

Jan 13, 2014
Hey guys,

I know that nobody is really going to be able to help me, and im super new to all this. i used to mess with a moto x back in the day and it was much easier than trying to do all this. i recently unlocked the bootloader on my oneplus 8 tmobile version using the unlock key i recieved from them and oneplus. I (thought) i had succesfully gotten twrp on the phone, but thats where the problems begin. I attempted to flash a rom and recieved the error that it could not mount the storage and now shows 0 storage. i can still get into fastboot and into recovery, however i can literally not do anything else. if i try to flash anything it says failed to mount storage and just cycles me right back to recovery. anyways, i tried to use the unbrick tool on my home computer, but as soon as i run the application it doesnt start, and then the icon DISAPPEARS. i tried it on my laptop, and the program runs but wont recognize my phone. now i read everything on here, prob 10 times, and i understand that its a driver issue of some kind, i just cant figure out exactly how to get those drivers right. i know nobody will prob be able to help but im at a total loss with a brand new, 2 week old oneplus 8 that has been dead for one of those weeks. Moto x was so much easier. unlock, root, flash, wipe, enjoy. this phone is my living nightmare and im not smart enough to fix it....
Try a combination of drivers. Download OnePlus drivers from their website. Download adb and fastboot drivers. May need to download Google usb driver if OnePlus driver is not working. For using msm you will need to download qualcomm driver.

JCroffut

Feb 6, 2015
Morgantown
Try a combination of drivers. Download OnePlus drivers from their website. Download adb and fastboot drivers. May need to download Google usb driver if OnePlus driver is not working. For using msm you will need to download qualcomm driver.

problem is finding the drivers. i have clicked through every link i can find to try to find the right drivers and nothing is working! i def understand the prob is me not being smarter than the phone atm but i am stumped

sameog

Apr 21, 2010
San Francisco
Reactions: Nathan.7118391

JCroffut

Feb 6, 2015
Morgantown
i will definatly give that a try and see if it helps! youll hear back from me!
that was the ticket and the driver i needed! its currently running as we speak! omg thank you. im packing up my rooting days and stashing away from unlock token for another day when they have more material for the oneplus 8 lol. or im just to dumb to know what im doing. thats possible too! more reading in my future until i figure this out!

zrzhu

Oct 22, 2011
that was the ticket and the driver i needed! its currently running as we speak! omg thank you. im packing up my rooting days and stashing away from unlock token for another day when they have more material for the oneplus 8 lol. or im just to dumb to know what im doing. thats possible too! more reading in my future until i figure this out!
One thing to note is you need to disable driver signature check in windows 10. See my post here.

I started messing with my phone a couple days ago and had to do MSM. If have all drivers installed, it should work. Try different USB ports or different computer.

sameog

Apr 21, 2010
San Francisco
Excellent! Happy to hear that the above links worked out for you. Yes, I honestly was hoping more development was in store for the oneplus 8t. The 6T had loads of development. With every new devices that gets released, new methods to root are introduced. It's a constant battle, if you will, but at the same time, I think it's fun and educational in its own way. =)

sameog

Apr 21, 2010
San Francisco
Finding the proper drivers is a clumsy process. Lots of people out there are still embracing samsung and apple.

JCroffut

Feb 6, 2015
Morgantown
Well when I said packing up my days I just meant on my everyday use phone, at least until there is better development of twrp. Any suggestions on a fun rootable phone that is cheap and fun to play with? I thought I heard pixel was good