[OP8T][OOS KB05AA/BA/DA] Unbrick tool to restore your device to OxygenOS

EmperorEye

Jul 25, 2016
Pasig City
Disclaimer: By attempting any of the processes listed in this thread you accept full responsibility for your actions. I will not be held responsible if your device stops working, catches fire, or turns into a hipster and claims to have been modified before it was cool.

Hi everyone, similar to the previous threads for
OP3, OP3T, OP5, OP5T, OP6, OP6T, OP7, OP7PRO, regular OP7T, T-Mobile OP7T, regular OP7TPRO, T-Mobile OP7TPro 5G, regular OP8, T-Mobile OP8, OP8Pro and OP Nord here are the EDL packages (also known as MSM tools or unbrick tools) that can revive a bricked OnePlus 8T.

You should also be able to rollback your phone to a previous release of OOS with them if for some reason you want to go back to an older firmware :)

You can download the following versions:

KB05AA tools (international firmware):
ANDROID 11:

KB05BA tools (european firmware):
ANDROID 11:

KB05DA tools (indian firmware):
ANDROID 11:

Tips:

While crossflashing does not seem to break your /persist unlike on 8-series, it is advised that you back it up before attemting to do so as fingerprint reader may give an error related to enrollment issue. You can do so by using dd if=/mnt/vendor/persist of=/sdcard/persist.img (you must have root access, which is not something I'm going to explain here) and moving it to your computer/cloud.

Instructions:

Launch MsmDownloadTool V4.0.exe.
Windows 7 users may use MsmDownloadTool V4.0_Win7.exe instead, but it hasn't been tested.

On the login prompt select "Other" in the dropdown menu and click on Next.
Wait a few seconds until main window shows up.
Click on Target button and select O2 while using global tool or India while using indian tool or EU when using european tool.
Press Start button (this is done so that device will be "captured" automatically by tool instead of going back to normal boot after 10 seconds)

Power your device off.
Let it cool down for one minute.
Hold both volumes in to get in Qualcomm EDL mode and the screen will stay black. While holding, plug in the USB cable from your phone to your computer. Let volumes go alter plugged in.
Wait some time (should not be longer than ~300 seconds).
Enjoy your brand new device.

FAQ:

Does this work on Mac or on Linux?

Unfortunately no, tool is Windows only. You should need at least Windows 7.

Why is my antivirus freaking out when unzipping the archive or running the tool?

In an effort to protect reverse engineering from being done (and by extension prevent conversion process like it was done on 6T and 7Pro), OnePlus now use VM Protect V3 in their MSM tools. As this tries to detect debug environment, this is seen as malicious behaviour by some antivirus.

My device isn't detected when I click on "Enum" button

Go to device manager and make sure your phone shows up as QDLOADER 9008.
If it shows up as QHUSB_BULK, it means Qualcomm driver wasn't installed automatically by Windows Update. Download the latest one from Microsoft website at http://download.windowsupdate.com/c..._fba473728483260906ba044af3c063e309e6259d.cab (source https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=qualcomm hs usb 9008 ) and install it manually by right clicking on QHUSB_BULK and selecting "Update driver software" and "Browse my computer for driver software" to where you downloaded CAB file.

MSM tool is stuck on "Param pre-processing"

Ensure you're using the Qualcomm drivers linked above.

MSM tool is stuck on "Sahara communication failed"

Unplug your phone, get in fastboot mode, turn off phone, wait 15 secondes and get back in Qualcomm EDL mode. You can also try using a USB 2.0 port instead of a 3.0 one.

What is SMT Download mode?

Just don't try to unlock that mode, it will wipe your IMEI and your Widevine certificate if you use it.

How can I fix "SMT config not found" error?

Please refer to https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83448961&postcount=61, all credits to @Shadow12347 for finding it out.

Credits:

@viperbjk for KB05AA and KB05BA OOS 11.0 files
@LLStarks for KB05AA OOS 11.0.1.2 file
@FullOfHell for testing 11.0 KB05AA tool and downgrade possibility
Votton for providing a server as an alternative mirror
OnePlus for the device and OS
Great Day!
Hello, need help although I installed the QCOM from the above mentioned. After flashing I get this message at COM 3 "Automatic detection of DDR failed" I wonder what are the lacking since I updated my drivers. Please Help.

Device: KB05AA (Globalized Chinese OnePlus 8T)

Thanks in advance.

OTAx1

Mar 13, 2019
Great Day!
Hello, need help although I installed the QCOM from the above mentioned. After flashing I get this message at COM 3 "Automatic detection of DDR failed" I wonder what are the lacking since I updated my drivers. Please Help.

Device: KB05AA (Globalized Chinese OnePlus 8T)

Thanks in advance.
What operating system are you using?

Make sure to reboot phone & PC 1st after installing drivers. If you still get error message there's a couple other things to simplify process. I got that same error initially but later got it working.

In any case you need to use admin (root) permissions from terminal.

This error seems to appear on older slower 32 bit Windows PCs more than others.

Last edited:

EmperorEye

Jul 25, 2016
Pasig City
What operating system are you using?

Make sure to reboot phone & PC 1st after installing drivers. If you still get error message there's a couple other things to simplify process. I got that same error initially but later got it working.

In any case you need to use admin (root) permissions from terminal.

This error seems to appear on older slower 32 bit Windows PCs more than others.
I used Acer Aspire 64 Bit with Windows 8.1 all works including adb/fastboot and updated qcom drivers. I also grant administration to the msmtool flashing on its way but the error appears. I tried also switching ports noting happens.
I flash stock Oxygen International to KB2000 Chinese flashed. It is possible?

OTAx1

Mar 13, 2019
I used Acer Aspire 64 Bit with Windows 8.1 all works including adb/fastboot and updated qcom drivers. I also grant administration to the msmtool flashing on its way but the error appears. I tried also switching ports noting happens.
I flash stock Oxygen International to KB2000 Chinese flashed. It is possible?
As long as your 8T is listed in Windows Device Manager as anything without an error message it should be good to go. Make sure to use only the unbricking version of MSM Tools for your hardware model.

After unbricking, go through default setup, accept all updates, connect to any network, enable developer mode then switch on unlock oem bootloader. You have to unlock bootloader to flash anything, after that should be good to go.

EmperorEye

Jul 25, 2016
Pasig City
As long as your 8T is listed in Windows Device Manager as anything without an error message it should be good to go. Make sure to use only the unbricking version of MSM Tools for your hardware model.

After unbricking, go through default setup, accept all updates, connect to any network, enable developer mode then switch on unlock oem bootloader. You have to unlock bootloader to flash anything, after that should be good to go.
Actually bro it's not a brick, just want to reflash the stock Oxygen flashed with my KB2000 OnePlus 8T or any method to reflash the stock oxygen to my chinese device. Oh so this method are just to unlocked and brick device? Sorry I'm new again to OnePlus device since my last device is OP3.

Please enlighten me. Thanks

mephria

Feb 20, 2018
İstanbul
Hello,

I have some problem.

I've successfully unlocked my Oneplus 8T. After that, I've flashed magisk_patched_11.0.5.6_KB05BA.img, however, after the phone restarted, there was only a black screen. Then it started to reboot constantly. I've tried to flash and boot stock img. But I couldn't solve it.

Then, I have tried to use Msm but, it directly boot to the fastboot mode when pluged in to the computer, while I'm pressing the vol up and down at the same time.

Can anyone please help? Thank you.

OTAx1

Mar 13, 2019
Actually bro it's not a brick, just want to reflash the stock Oxygen flashed with my KB2000 OnePlus 8T or any method to reflash the stock oxygen to my chinese device. Oh so this method are just to unlocked and brick device? Sorry I'm new again to OnePlus device since my last device is OP3.

Please enlighten me. Thanks
You should be able to do that after unlocking. If the device gets bricked then use MSM Tools to restore to original configuration, not international.

Look in this thread:

[Guide]Installing Lineage

OTAx1

Mar 13, 2019
Hello,

I have some problem.

I've successfully unlocked my Oneplus 8T. After that, I've flashed magisk_patched_11.0.5.6_KB05BA.img, however, after the phone restarted, there was only a black screen. Then it started to reboot constantly. I've tried to flash and boot stock img. But I couldn't solve it.

Then, I have tried to use Msm but, it directly boot to the fastboot mode when pluged in to the computer, while I'm pressing the vol up and down at the same time.

Can anyone please help? Thank you.
In Fastboot go to Recovery mode & then ADB mode, should be able to use MSM Tools then :)

Reactions: mephria

mephria

Feb 20, 2018
İstanbul
In Fastboot go to Recovery mode & then ADB mode, should be able to use MSM Tools then :)
Thank you for your answer. I've tried to installed pixel experience since my phone is not working, but, I couldn't. And to install PE, I installed custom recovery mode for PE. Do you know how can I go to the ADB mode in recovery mode?

Thank you.

EDIT: I've done it. I used Oneplus cable and reinstalled qualcomm drivers.

Last edited:

kaskander

Dec 23, 2015
MSM Download Tool didn't list any com ports. Device manager showed Com Port - QHUSB_BULK. Both driver links on OP didn't work (.cab files), so I tried the .exe Installer & now Device Manager lists QDLOADER 900E (requires rebooting PC to finalize).

QDLoader HS-USB Driver_64bit_Setup

Successful unbricking!

BTW, this phone was TOTALLY bricked. No combination of Vol Up/Down + Pwr would do anything other that buzz at reboot. It stopped going to Qualcomm crash mode, wouldn't even go to Fastboot anymore. Black screen no matter what. Dead dead.

Unbricking relocked bootloader, which is good to know in case you want total factory new rom state.

Hope this helps anyone having difficulties. Big thanks to Some_Random_Username (y)(y)
(Google Translate)

Hello guys, after 3 hours of research and at least 15 to 20 complete reboots, I finally made it with this QDLoader HS-USB Driver_64bit_Setup I think. I have root with magisk of course and I tried to update version 11.0.7.10 through magisk so as not to lose root. After I chose from magisk to do the restart OTA, it never opened, it always closed and opened in recovery. I decided to use the unbrick method but my mobile was never connected. So I tried to install these Drivers, rebooted the pc and power off the phone. After opening the pc and opening the program it did not even show me a COM input, so I open the mobile with the three keys and I waited for a while until the mobile started to boot so I was bored to do force stop and I let it open and voila.

If anyone knows a solution for sure let them write below so that someone else knows what to do. (Hopefully when I do a simple reboot or when my phone shuts down from battery I hope I have no problem opening it.)

Postscript: When I entered the Qualcom method, with the three keys, that is, the mobile phone turned on after 10 seconds and I did not have time to pass the drivers manually. Also for the first time I only turned off the cashe which did not work. Of the many reboots, only at 4 did I force stop. I know you sound crazy that he did it with the drivers, I do not know how he did it but I know that it happened after my attempt to update. Finally the update succeeded.