General OP9 PWM Headache with new dynamic refresh rate

Search This thread

bacon612

Jan 9, 2012
Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hey everyone. For anyone out there (apparently less than 10% of us) that suffer from OLED panel PWM headaches, it seems that this OP9 pro is giving me grief. I think it possibly has to do with this new dynamic refresh rate. For anyone that's unfamiliar, you basically get a carsick feeling or similar to the feeling that some of us get when reading in a car. Point of the matter is that it's no good for a phone junkie that can't put their phone down.

I never knew that this was a problem until I had an lg v35 that gave me these headaches. I've never had an iphone with oled cause the issue. Op7 pro didn't and OP8 Pro didn't either. I found that it wasn't all phones as some did it while others did not A replacement v35 didn't have the problem. Anywho, I thought to put a feeler out there to see if anyone else has the same issue.

Reactions: ps000000

jmikepr

• Aug 15, 2019
    Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
    Hey everyone. For anyone out there (apparently less than 10% of us) that suffer from OLED panel PWM headaches, it seems that this OP9 pro is giving me grief. I think it possibly has to do with this new dynamic refresh rate. For anyone that's unfamiliar, you basically get a carsick feeling or similar to the feeling that some of us get when reading in a car. Point of the matter is that it's no good for a phone junkie that can't put their phone down.

I never knew that this was a problem until I had an lg v35 that gave me these headaches. I've never had an iphone with oled cause the issue. Op7 pro didn't and OP8 Pro didn't either. I found that it wasn't all phones as some did it while others did not A replacement v35 didn't have the problem. Anywho, I thought to put a feeler out there to see if anyone else has the same issue.
    Have you looked under Utilities > One Plus Labs> and enabled DC dimming?

The option wasn't there on the 8T but it could be toggled using ADB. Google DC dimming ADB 8T and you'll find the steps.

Please report back here as I want this phone but struggle with PWM as well. The DC dimming modes from One Plus have always helped me.

bacon612

Jan 9, 2012
    Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet
    OnePlus 8 Pro

The option wasn't there on the 8T but it could be toggled using ADB. Google DC dimming ADB 8T and you'll find the steps.

Please report back here as I want this phone but struggle with PWM as well. The DC dimming modes from One Plus have always helped me.

Hey there. Thanks for the reply. I was unaware of this menu and just checked. The only option available is 'Hyper Motion Smoothing'. I tried it but it makes no difference. I'm going to RMA now and attempt a replacement. It could be this panel in particular. In the past, going through a few devices (same model) would get me a screen that didn't have the issue for me. I've never had a OnePlus phone that caused the issue for me so this is a first. Bums me out.

Video link showing the flicker. OP9 Pro, right. iPhone 12 Pro Max, left. Shot on my OP8 Pro.

jmikepr

• Aug 15, 2019
    Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
    Hey there. Thanks for the reply. I was unaware of this menu and just checked. The only option available is 'Hyper Motion Smoothing'. I tried it but it makes no difference. I'm going to RMA now and attempt a replacement. It could be this panel in particular. In the past, going through a few devices (same model) would get me a screen that didn't have the issue for me. I've never had a OnePlus phone that caused the issue for me so this is a first. Bums me out.

Video link showing the flicker. OP9 Pro, right. iPhone 12 Pro Max, left. Shot on my OP8 Pro.
    am start-activity -a oneplus.intent.action.ONEPLUS_LAB_FEATURE_DETAILS -e oneplus_lab_feature_key oneplus_dc_dimming_value

Would you mind hooking up to adb then running adb shell command and pasting the above?

This is basically a make or break for me to purchase this phone. It worked on the 8T to enable DC dimming even when it was hidden.

Purely just asking a favor at this point though

bacon612

Jan 9, 2012
    Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    am start-activity -a oneplus.intent.action.ONEPLUS_LAB_FEATURE_DETAILS -e oneplus_lab_feature_key oneplus_dc_dimming_value

Would you mind hooking up to adb then running adb shell command and pasting the above?

This is basically a make or break for me to purchase this phone. It worked on the 8T to enable DC dimming even when it was hidden.

Purely just asking a favor at this point though
    Hey. I ran the command and believe that it worked because it took me right to a screen prompting me to enable a feature. So I did. I'll see if it makes a difference. Do you have to reboot to initiate it? If I reboot, do you have to reinitiate?

Glad to help because if my headache goes away, yours will too.

jmikepr

• Aug 15, 2019
    Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
    Hey. I ran the command and believe that it worked because it took me right to a screen prompting me to enable a feature. So I did. I'll see if it makes a difference. Do you have to reboot to initiate it? If I reboot, do you have to reinitiate?

Glad to help because if my headache goes away, yours will too.
    Awesome! Thank you so much man. This is exactly what it did on my OnePlus 8T. It also persisted through reboots and updates.

You shouldn't need to do anything to activate it other than switch the toggle on.

You can film your phone with another phone and see the flicker reduce somewhat when the toggle goes on.

I've found OnePlus's DC dimming basically eliminates my headaches and reducing my eye strain to a manageable amount.

bacon612

Jan 9, 2012
    Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    Flicker is still there when viewed from the video screen of my OP8 pro. I'll spend some more time with the phone in a few hours to see if it still give me a headache but I suspect it will. What's irritating to me is that there's no flicker on my OP8 pro (and I had two) with the DC dimming enabled or not. My hope is that my OP9 pro just has a bad screen. I'm going to proceed with the replacement through OP which I hope will be easier than it has been in the past.

Last edited:

jmikepr

• Aug 15, 2019
    Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
    So it took 2 months for OnePlus to issue my replacement OP9 pro. I got it two days ago and can confirm that it it also gives me PWM headaches. I'm crushed. I want this phone but can't use it. Sigh.... Anyone else?

I just saw that you replied here. I ended up getting the Mi 11 Ultra because it has a proper DC Dimming mode. I really like the phone alot. MIUI takes some getting used to but it's a solid experience overall.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.