• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question OP9P ROOT working with new 12 Open Beta build?

Search This thread

nickdagriff

Oct 13, 2015
So has anyone tried to keep root when switching to the new OOS12 Open Beta build released on 10/4/21? If so did you just do the same as doing a normal update? i.e. Going into Magisk before reboot and hitting the OTA button in the installer app.

Burt Squirtz

Feb 11, 2018
flashed patched img on both slots
Can you try this method bro? This is the surefire way to root color OS. A friend reported that it works. I'm traveling not near a PC now otherwise I'd do it.

Somehow I managed to get root on dp2 and I don't know how I did it. Because I didn't do these steps.

<How to Root OOS12 OP9 (aka ColorOS)>
Extract boot.img, vendor_boot.img, vbmeta.img from ota file first
Patch boot.img and vendor_boot.img using magisk manager
reboot phone to bootloader after moving patched imgs to pc

fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
fastboot flash vendor_boot patched_vendor_boot.img
fastboot --disable-verification --disable-verity flash vbmeta vbmeta.img

ecera

Jun 11, 2013
Can you try this method bro? This is the surefire way to root color OS. A friend reported that it works. I'm traveling not near a PC now otherwise I'd do it.

Somehow I managed to get root on dp2 and I don't know how I did it. Because I didn't do these steps.

I used this method to root last night and can confirm it works on OB 1 A12. I did the vbmeta part before flashing boot.img and didn't do the vendor_boot part at all.

https://www.droidwin.com/root-android-12-via-magisk-patched-boot-img-without-twrp/ this is the guide I followed.

P.S. On a side note I found it interesting that the "unlocked bootloader" message screen when booting is absent on this new OB1 A12 build. It's kinda nice, I know how much of an eye sore it is for some.

Last edited:

terlynn4

Aug 18, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Nexus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
Well I cant really say the boot time is noticeably faster, but the unlocked bootloader message is deff gone for me.
Since boot is significantly slower after unlocking bootloader, I figured the message was to blame and the reverse would also be true. I could be wrong. Thanks for the info though. It'd be nice if they get rid of that message entirely with A12 stable and going forward.

Reactions: trongthanh

ecera

Jun 11, 2013
Since boot is significantly slower after unlocking bootloader, I figured the message was to blame and the reverse would also be true. I could be wrong. Thanks for the info though. It'd be nice if they get rid of that message entirely with A12 stable and going forward.
It probably does boot a bit faster. Like you said that message is an extra few seconds. To me its not really noticeable, maybe to someone else it might be.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    flashed patched img on both slots

i mean its beta what did you except lol

I used this method to root last night and can confirm it works on OB 1 A12. I did the vbmeta part before flashing boot.img and didn't do the vendor_boot part at all.

https://www.droidwin.com/root-android-12-via-magisk-patched-boot-img-without-twrp/ this is the guide I followed.

P.S. On a side note I found it interesting that the "unlocked bootloader" message screen when booting is absent on this new OB1 A12 build. It's kinda nice, I know how much of an eye sore it is for some.
    So has anyone tried to keep root when switching to the new OOS12 Open Beta build released on 10/4/21? If so did you just do the same as doing a normal update? i.e. Going into Magisk before reboot and hitting the OTA button in the installer app.
    I rooted successfully with a Chinese tool
    It works on both OOS12 and ColorOS12