OPEN BETA for 17.1 UNOFFICIAL LineageOS T550 rom

Schaagi

Jun 30, 2015
Switzerland
Hi retiredtab

This is my experience with the new 17.1 image for the T550, since the last few days.
- The image is very stable, not one issue found in my daily use
- No problem with battery drain
- GPS is working
- Bluetooth is working too (tested with a Bluetooth mouse)
Thank you for this excellent image, I've never had a beta that worked so smoothly. :)

It seems you have a lot of experience with building an image. Maybe you could also create an image for T710, T810. I would then be happy to help as a tester. Maybe this is an option ?
Unfortunately, the images of Ripee created a lot of bootloops. I'm willing to test, but rebuilding the tablet every time makes no fun.

Best regards and Happy New Year
Schaagi

Last edited:

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
@Schaagi, thanks for the feedback on the BETA image.

I will likely make another January 2021 T550 BETA image once the January security patches are released and open it to everyone after I do some initial testing of my own on the P550. This is assuming there are no problems with the 2021 January security patches and all the changes that go along with it. More on this later.

Just to give you an idea of my own build and test process as not everyone does the same for the roms they release. It's a long read, but something I will probably add to every FAQ in my rom builds in 2021 so people can understand and appreciate what it takes.

1. I test and verify each of my posted builds for basic functionality such as wifi, GPS, external audio, deep sleep, etc. For each working build that I post publicly, I probably have 30 builds that failed and will never share. They fail because of stuck at boot animation, boot loops, or some major functionality that doesn't work. Usually these problems occur when moving from one major Android release to another like 9 to 10. And yes, I'm having problems building Android 11 despite my efforts for the last 3 months with stuck at boot animation and boot loops.

Each build takes a minimum of 15 minutes if I'm lucky and sometimes a clean build takes around 10 hours. Most of the time, it's somewhere in between depending on what I need to change.

2. After I get an image that functionally works, I use that build for a couple days to make sure there are no random reboots or crashes. However, while it functionally works, I cannot test stability and reliability.

An example of stability is, I might use wifi for 2 hours with no problems, but someone else using wifi for 24x7 might run into memory leaks which causes the tablet to lockup or reboot.

An example of reliability is, I might use GPS once in my car for 20 minutes with no problems, but a food delivery person might use GPS 20 time a day and GPS might fail on the 21st time.

Stability and reliability are virtually impossible for me to test. This is where the BETA testers can help. Even then, my builds will never be bug free when you consider the scope and scale as I write below.

3. Monthly security builds include refreshing over 1,500 repositories, 70,000 files and probably over 1 million lines of code. Most of the time, the monthly build goes well and before I post a public image, I test each build for the same basic functionality. Again, I can't test stability and reliability.

For the P550, I was only able to make 2 public posted 16.0 builds because something changed in one of the 1,500 repositories, 70,000 files and probably over 1 million lines of code that caused the build to not boot properly. I tried troubleshooting for several weeks, but I gave up and luckily found another source where I can get a working 16.0 and 17.1 P550 build. So I spent a few weeks really testing my P550 before I felt comfortable to even begin asking for T550 BETA testers. For the P550 build, I probably made over 100+ failed builds.

Obviously, I can't test features that I never use or have access to. And there will always be someone who is going to be unhappy no matter what so that's why in all my FAQs I state that if you are unhappy with this rom, go back to the old one. Or they can build their own version as all the code I use is open source and all my fixes are documented, open source and free for everyone to use.

Last edited:

addisson2014

Jan 13, 2020
Soo... what can I say about this OS... Very comfortable and smooth. I didn't notice any problems. The only problem was the annoying on-screen buttons, which I removed through editing the system file. Thank you so much for your work, friend, I really appreciate it! With love from Russia ❤

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
To get rid of on-screen buttons, you don't need to edit system file. It's in

settings, system, advanced, gestures, system navigation, gesture navigation, press home button

on screen buttons gone after that.

Reactions: addisson2014

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
I found one problem: after rebooting the tablet, the date is reset to December 21.
Here's where something I learned on the SM-T350 and SM-P550 in Nov 2020 that will help with the SM-T550.

The SM-T350 doesn't have a real time clock so unless you use NTP (network time protocol), it won't keep proper time if you manually set it and then reboot.

On my SM-P550, if I turn off NTP, set the time manually to June 1, 2021, reboot into recovery and reboot into ROM, it shows June 1, 2021.

Since I don't have a SM-T550, I didn't know if the SM-T550 has a real time clock or not. Since you are reporting exactly what others said about the SM-T350 below

I know how to implement a workaround by using timekeep. I will build it later today or tomorrow and post another BETA image if you want to test the timekeep functionality because I cannot on my SM-P550 since it keeps time properly.

Once the new image is built and tested by me, I will post a link here.

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
the date is reset to December 21.
I think the reason it's set to Dec 21 is because that's the date I built the last image. As to why, I haven't bothered to look through the 10,000 lines of code. Even if I did, it would take me a long time to understand it. Time, I rather being using trying to figure out Android 11.

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
@addisson2014, Jan 3, 2021 build up includes the timekeep functionality as I discussed above. It's the only change to the last BETA image as I did not do a repo sync. Let me know if it works or not. Thank you.

I'm opening up the BETA to everyone now. New file is at

The next build will be after the January 2021 security patches are released by LineageOS.

addisson2014

Jan 13, 2020

layman22

Aug 3, 2015
Dear retiredtab
Been installed and made a little test with your build.
The installation was easy with no issues (used vyrsis latest TWRP)
I'm using the tab for watching movies mainly, this oldschool HW is not really good for any more serious tasks.
BTW made a little test on FB browsing and got random crashes both using the stock browser and also with Via.
With Vyrsis Lineage build was the same issue.
The tab received a fresh security patch, I can watch movies furthermore, so I'm happy with your build and thank you so much for your efforts to made a rom for us :)

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
BTW made a little test on FB browsing and got random crashes both using the stock browser and also with Via.
The stock "Jelly" browser included with LineageOS is problematic. It's never been reliable and can crash easily. I have never used Via.

I find Brave browser pretty much rock solid, but then I don't visit the same sites as you probably.

layman22

Aug 3, 2015
The stock "Jelly" browser included with LineageOS is problematic. It's never been reliable and can crash easily. I have never used Via.

I find Brave browser pretty much rock solid, but then I don't visit the same sites as you probably.
Never heard about Brave, but I'll test it, thanks ✌
Been using Via few years ago, and that's also nice and never had any issues with that.

bierma32

Aug 12, 2013
@lower saxony
New January 2021 build at

Release notes for Jan 15, 2021
1. Jan 5 security patches.
2. Whatever LineageOS changed since last Dec 2020 update.
I tested all your ROMs now from the first Version.
For me it is full functional and I can use it as daily drivers.

Some times my browser crahes ( I use opera mini in private mode with VPN )
In the moment I try to find some setting were the crashes come from.
But that is not a main problem !!!!!!

Thx for your work.
I'm still waiting for LOS 18 in the future.😁

Last edited:

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
Some times my browser crahes ( I use opera mini in private mode with VPN )
When it crashes, stop doing whatever you are doing, plug tablet into computer and type in

adb logcat > crash.txt

The logcat may indicate where the problem is. Or alternatively download a logcat app like

and grant it root permissions to read logs. When it crashes, look at the logs.

I'm still waiting for LOS 18 in the future.😁
I tried repo sync 18.1 yesterday since it finally fixes the adb logcat bug, but now compilation breaks. When compilation worked, I got stuck at the boot animation. I probably won't try 18.1 again until March. Even for those older devices that run 18.1, there are still problems and some people are saying gcrapps is not working properly.

For 2021, I'm trying to degoogle so getting gapps working is not a priority for me if I can get 18.1 working.

My P550 is no longer my daily driver. I'm working on SM-T700 and SM-T800 and have been since Christmas time. These 2 will be my focus for the next few weeks ahead.

Reactions: bierma32

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
If got 2 S4 mini ( 7years old ) and on both runs LOS 18.1 really fine.
Arco68 is Arne Coucheron. He's listed as a committer at

I'm nowhere near Arne's knowledge and skill. Arne could probably take 1 day and get 18.1 up and running on T550.

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
The Samusng "A" tablet series 2015-2016 which includes the SM-T350 and SM-T550 + variations has NEVER had an "official" build from LineageOS team. Most of the unofficial builds starting with 14.1 had non working audio, broken bluetooth, etc, etc. Same for 15.1. It wasn't until 16.0 that audio, bluetooth, etc were finally working.

With 17.1, most things work, but my roms will likely never be official. There's a lot of work to make them official and it requires more than 1 person working on it.

Reactions: bierma32