Open smb file from file explorer app has slow performance

kiceqs

Dec 17, 2020
I am using Root Explorer and it supports SMBv2; but I found that when I open a file by it to MXPlayer, the performance is poor and it is not stable (just could not load). And I open the file using the SMB explorer inside of MXPlayer is perfectly fine.

My device is Pixel 3XL on Android 11 and yy WiFi is not bottlenecking since MXPlayer could have acceptable performance.

TL;DR
What I assume is that RExploer talkd to my SMB server and serve the file via http or other protocol, causing some performance degradation. Why I didn't just use MXPlayer to browse the file? Because I set up some preview images for my movies/videos and MXPlayer cannot show images.

Why not use DLNA? I prefer browsing the file by filesystem.

=====

My questions:
1. Is it possible that I open SMB link directly inside MXPlayer. Or like opening HTTP link, we could open some sort of a SMB link
2. Does it allow other app to send SMB information to MXPlayer and use the network code of MXPlayer to playback the video. If so please let me know which app.

MXPlayer

Nov 3, 2015
mx.j2inter.com
I am using Root Explorer and it supports SMBv2; but I found that when I open a file by it to MXPlayer, the performance is poor and it is not stable (just could not load). And I open the file using the SMB explorer inside of MXPlayer is perfectly fine.

My device is Pixel 3XL on Android 11 and yy WiFi is not bottlenecking since MXPlayer could have acceptable performance.

TL;DR
What I assume is that RExploer talkd to my SMB server and serve the file via http or other protocol, causing some performance degradation. Why I didn't just use MXPlayer to browse the file? Because I set up some preview images for my movies/videos and MXPlayer cannot show images.

Why not use DLNA? I prefer browsing the file by filesystem.

=====

My questions:
1. Is it possible that I open SMB link directly inside MXPlayer. Or like opening HTTP link, we could open some sort of a SMB link
2. Does it allow other app to send SMB information to MXPlayer and use the network code of MXPlayer to playback the video. If so please let me know which app.
MX Player already supports SMBv2. Please tap on the Local Network option in the navigation drawer, and you will find the options to add SMB servers.

Please note that MX Player doesn't support automatic discovery of servers on the local network at this time. You may need to enter the IP address of the SMB server unless your router supports unicast DNS service.

Last edited:

rabite

Jan 27, 2021
MX Player already supports SMBv2. Please tap on the Local Network option in the navigation drawer, and you will find the options to add SMB servers.

Please note that MX Player doesn't support automatic discovery of servers on the local network at this time. You may need to enter the IP address of the SMB server unless your router supports unicast DNS service.
Hi ,which MXPlayer version support 'Local Network' on android smart TV,
I have tried some MXPlayer, 1.26 and 1.33, 'Local Network' only works on android phone, cann't find tit on smart TV

kiceqs

Dec 17, 2020

+ Allow to view text files in "Network" Tab (with utf-8/gbk/shift-jis encoding support)
+ Allow to view image file in "Network" Tab
+ Accept SMB link, something like: smb://my-local-nas/folder/video.mp4 or smb://user:[email protected]/folder/video.mp4
+ Try to keep HTTP link alive during playback

TL;DR
Sorry for the late reply, I know that MX Player natively support SMBv2. However, the "file browser" built-in is not a actual file browser, lacking of show other files (I think it was disabled by design), and not able to open text file or view images: for example, I have a movie cover and a description under the same folder as the video file.

The other thing is that, is it a way that could let "OTHER" file explorer to send MX Player the SMB information instead of "low performance http proxy by the file explorer". But I am not so sure Android have such api, or use URL scheme (https://developer.android.com/training/app-links/deep-linking) to receive SMB connection information?
For username and password, I think it is not hard to prompt a dialog to the user or just reuse the settings from "Network" tabs.

And what's more, it looks like MX Player might close HTTP connection after the buffer was full. Could you keep the TCP connection alive or make some fake requests to keep it connected before the user finish the session?