• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Open source driver for FIMG 3DSE (GPU of Galaxy 3)

Search This thread

tom3q

May 31, 2011
Warsaw
github.com
I am posting here as I am not allowed to do so in development subforum.

Anyway, I am the developer of the OpenFIMG project (formerly GLES6410), which is aiming to provide proper OpenGL support on devices with FIMG 3DSE 3D engine, found in S3C6410, S5PC100 and probably also in S5P6442. The project is in a pretty advanced state as it is already capable of running Android 2.3 with hardware acceleration. Still many OpenGL extensions and some core features (like lighting) are still missing. More info can be found here: https://github.com/tom3q/openfimg/wiki.

It is very likely (and almost confirmed) that the SoC used in Galaxy 3 (S5P6442) contains the same GPU as the one in S3C6410, which is the chip inside Galaxy Spica and similar phones, at least basing on what Quadrant and GLbenchmark show and on GL libraries supposed to be dumped from Galaxy 3.

What I am trying to say is that my project may also be useful on Galaxy 3, but I am the only developer working on it and I am doing it in my free time, so it does not progress as fast as one may expect. In other words, I am looking for some other developers interested in this project.

If you are interested, then do not hesitate to drop me a PM.

Mod EDIT : moving this to development

EDIT: Attached some documents about FIMG 3DSE (based on S3C6410 documentation and my reverse engineering)

EDIT: The project has been successfully used on G3. Builds of ICS for G3 use OpenFIMG as primary graphics driver currently and there are update packages for CM7.

Attachments

• fimg_3dse_docs.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,696
Last edited:

tom3q

May 31, 2011
Warsaw
github.com
No mobile phone contains a discrete GPU. All of them are embedded inside some SoC chip, some are better (SGX, Adreno), some are worse (FIMG 3DSE).

It is exactly the same as with Spica and similar phones. Games are laggy because the hardware is not a speed daemon and the performance is even more impacted by really _broken_ drivers.

Rapier07

Nov 30, 2010
Nagpur
Hmmm.. Nice:) .. Good luck with your project.. One of our devs marcellusbe is working on porting CM7 to G3.. This would surely help him ..

Sent from the 3rd Galaxy !

insane_subro

Nov 22, 2010
Kolkata
cool... if so this is gonna make new benchmark .. pun intended ... best of luck man.... I had thought of throwing this phone a long time back but you guys always give hopes... and ofcourse result..

unreal3000

Nov 27, 2010
VERY intresting!
and yes the galaxy 3 does have a gpu and yes it has been confirmed (or atleast i heard) that it has this gpu..cant wait to see the outcome!

tom3q

May 31, 2011
Warsaw
github.com
Actually, I will need some people who would compile, test and eventually fix the code for Galaxy 3, because the only phone with this GPU I have is a Galaxy Spica (i5700) and there may be some subtle differences between them. (Especially in the kernel part, where kernel modules may require changing of some addresses or some other fragments of code.)

Preferably, I would like someone to help me with the project, but I understand this is not an easy task, so not everyone can apply.

Reactions: PersianSphinx

dilzo

Apr 24, 2011
I don't mind being a tester :)

Edit: also will we be able to play gameloft games and nfs shift?
Sent from my GT-I5800 using XDA App

Last edited:

tom3q

May 31, 2011
Warsaw
github.com
I don't mind being a tester :)

Nice, thanks.

However, you have to understand that it is not a simple drop-in replacement of standard GL libs. This project replaces the whole graphics subsystem of the phone, including some kernel modules and this makes testing a bit more complicated as it needs pretty big modification of the phone software.

If it is not a problem for you then ok.

Edit: also will we be able to play gameloft games and nfs shift?
It all depends if all the extensions required by these games will get implemented. Also, there may be some problems with screen resolution of Galaxy 3, which is a not standard one. I cannot give any claims regarding the performance as the real performance of this hardware is unknown.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am posting here as I am not allowed to do so in development subforum.

Anyway, I am the developer of the OpenFIMG project (formerly GLES6410), which is aiming to provide proper OpenGL support on devices with FIMG 3DSE 3D engine, found in S3C6410, S5PC100 and probably also in S5P6442. The project is in a pretty advanced state as it is already capable of running Android 2.3 with hardware acceleration. Still many OpenGL extensions and some core features (like lighting) are still missing. More info can be found here: https://github.com/tom3q/openfimg/wiki.

It is very likely (and almost confirmed) that the SoC used in Galaxy 3 (S5P6442) contains the same GPU as the one in S3C6410, which is the chip inside Galaxy Spica and similar phones, at least basing on what Quadrant and GLbenchmark show and on GL libraries supposed to be dumped from Galaxy 3.

What I am trying to say is that my project may also be useful on Galaxy 3, but I am the only developer working on it and I am doing it in my free time, so it does not progress as fast as one may expect. In other words, I am looking for some other developers interested in this project.

If you are interested, then do not hesitate to drop me a PM.

Mod EDIT : moving this to development

EDIT: Attached some documents about FIMG 3DSE (based on S3C6410 documentation and my reverse engineering)

EDIT: The project has been successfully used on G3. Builds of ICS for G3 use OpenFIMG as primary graphics driver currently and there are update packages for CM7.
    I was talking with my boss today regarding my personal open source contributions related to Samsung hardware and he told me that there shouldn't be any problems with OpenFIMG, although to be safe I will have to let him look through any changes and officially accept them before publication. Those which can potentially reveal any sensitive information will have to go through Korea, but there shouldn't be any problems.

So basically the project is still alive.
    I've got a G3 now (thanks to the donator, I'm not sure if he wants to be named), so I might be able to help with kernel porting and test OpenFIMG on G3 ROMs and do any necessary improvements.
    I just wanted to get this thread back on top and aks if you're still busy tom ;)
    I'd love to see an update of this driver, really appreciate your work!

Well, I'm now taking a break after the exams till the end of this week, then I'm going to finish my libcamera implementation for the 3.x kernel (for Spica currently and later also for G3) and will see what to do after that, 3.x kernel for G3 or something for OpenFIMG.
    Very interesting .. I send you PM.