opengapps giving error 20 with trwp 3.0.2.0 and 2.8.7.0

Search This thread

giz02

Jun 16, 2010
Ottawa
Hey Gang - I've got an issue here getting opengapps installed into marshmallow.

Background - N10 needed a refresh - we officially updated a few times (from 4.x to 5.0 to 5.1,etc) and by the end, the tablet was taking forever to reboot (updating or optmizing 160+ apps every boot), so I finally decided to start fresh. I though.. why not marshmallow.

I followed the guide here:
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/9...ndroid-6-0-marshmallow-on-google-nexus-10.htm

Basically unlocked the tablet, installed twrp and then embarked. I diverted from the original instructions to use 2.8.7.0 and used latest. (3.0.2.0)

the marshmallow image referenced in the link installed well and the system boots/runs much better... my problem comes with installing opengapps from twrp. I downloaded the arm/6.0/stock version and pushed to file system with adb, then tried an install from twrp. It seems the opengapps installer (20150519) performs a software check to ensure the version of gapps is compatible with the version on Android. My problem is that it seems to be verifying against the recovery kernel and not the installed kernel.

I have the understanding that the load I installed is in fact 6.0, however it appears that twrp is built from 5.1.1 and the openGapps installer queries (I think) the twrp kernel, then determines that it cannot install. I get an error 20 message and specific dialogue that says the
"This GApps pkg is for Android 6.0.x ONLY
Please download the correct version for
your ROM: 5.1.1 (SDK 22)."

It then fails and returns me to TWRP. So next I tried the TWRP version (2.8.7.0) specified in the techtimes link I referenced above, and I get a similar error except ROM 4.4.4 SDK (19).

So it would appear that Gapps is checking local runtime only.

Is there any to fix this, or is it something I am doing wrong?

Help please!

garnet&gold

Hey Gang - I've got an issue here getting opengapps installed into marshmallow.

Background - N10 needed a refresh - we officially updated a few times (from 4.x to 5.0 to 5.1,etc) and by the end, the tablet was taking forever to reboot (updating or optmizing 160+ apps every boot), so I finally decided to start fresh. I though.. why not marshmallow.

I followed the guide here:
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/9...ndroid-6-0-marshmallow-on-google-nexus-10.htm

Basically unlocked the tablet, installed twrp and then embarked. I diverted from the original instructions to use 2.8.7.0 and used latest. (3.0.2.0)

the marshmallow image referenced in the link installed well and the system boots/runs much better... my problem comes with installing opengapps from twrp. I downloaded the arm/6.0/stock version and pushed to file system with adb, then tried an install from twrp. It seems the opengapps installer (20150519) performs a software check to ensure the version of gapps is compatible with the version on Android. My problem is that it seems to be verifying against the recovery kernel and not the installed kernel.

I have the understanding that the load I installed is in fact 6.0, however it appears that twrp is built from 5.1.1 and the openGapps installer queries (I think) the twrp kernel, then determines that it cannot install. I get an error 20 message and specific dialogue that says the
"This GApps pkg is for Android 6.0.x ONLY
Please download the correct version for
your ROM: 5.1.1 (SDK 22)."

It then fails and returns me to TWRP. So next I tried the TWRP version (2.8.7.0) specified in the techtimes link I referenced above, and I get a similar error except ROM 4.4.4 SDK (19).

So it would appear that Gapps is checking local runtime only.

Is there any to fix this, or is it something I am doing wrong?

Help please!

The error is telling you the problem. You are on 5.1.1 and trying to flash a gapps for 6.0. either upgrade your rom to a 6.0 rom or flash gapps for 5.1.1

If you're getting the same error, you have the same solution.

garnet&gold

Then why does the SDK version reported by the opengapps installer change when changing the TWRP version, but not when changing the Android version installed on the device?
The only reason the gapps version would be different is if you are flashing different versions. TWRP does not change the version and it does not have a kernel. Sometimes opengapps doesn't seem to play well with TWRP on this device. You could try Khaon's TWRP and / or a different gapps version like Bank's.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

monkeyman_stones

Feb 18, 2018
I am having the same problem twice - 1) When I try to install 7.1.x it states I need to install version 6.0.1.
2) When I try to install 6.0.1 it states I need to install version 7.1.x.
Error 20 each time and it's Lineage 14.1 for Nexus 7 I am attempting to install them in (which is Android 7.1.2).
In addition I am now again (upon 3rd install attempt) being shown error 70, but I (having had it resize the system partition) have more than enough space for as much: (this website is blocking me from posting a link to the photo so simply change the following to the correct format) (drive.google(dot com)/open?id=1aaCiOwzoGRgrZPkJPuEj3jQOc-3hgnH3) so this doesn't make sense...
What now must be done to install this apps application?

Last edited:

monkeyman_stones

Feb 18, 2018
I have tried all possible versions of Gapps. None of them install. What must be done in addition to this topic's early post is what I am unclear about. Those instructions claimed that increasing the size of the system partition would do the job, yet did nothing of the sort. I even tried reinstalling the OS, following the instructions here then again attempting to install all forms of the Gapps application, but yet again none would install.

PCthanyeu

Oct 10, 2012
Gapps problem

I faced same issue, gapps error return by 20.
After finished flashing rom, you will reboot system. Then you go back to recovery and flash gapps,it will work

Last edited:

Bonampi

Mar 16, 2010
Steps to install a ROM and the GApps (Open Gapps) without problems
1. Boot into Recovery Mode (TWRP)
2. Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select On (enable tick) for Dalvik / Art Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage, Cache,
3. Swipe to Wipe at Bottom of Screen,
4. Back to Main start screen,
5. Wipe > Format Data,
6. Type 'Yes' and press blue checkmark at the bottom-right corner,
7. Go Back to Main Start Screen to -VERY IMPORTANT---> Install Rom and GApps,
8. After you have finished installing the Rom and GApps > Wipe Cache/Dalvik > Swipe to Wipe
9. Reboot System

Source: https://xdaforums.com/note-4/snapdr...nofficial-lineage-15-1-rom-t3760969?nocache=1

Reactions: sakilxda

zcseke

Dec 2, 2009
2. Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select On (enable tick) for Dalvik / Art Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage, Cache,
5. Wipe > Format Data,
8. After you have finished installing the Rom and GApps > Wipe Cache/Dalvik > Swipe to Wipe
9. Reboot System

Source: https://xdaforums.com/note-4/snapdr...nofficial-lineage-15-1-rom-t3760969?nocache=1

Folowing exactly!!!! your steps, I am getting Error70??? by installing GAPPS.
ROM and GApps v8.01
Nexus 7 2013, latest TWRP

Folowing exactly!!!! your steps, I am getting Error70??? by installing GAPPS.
ROM and GApps v8.01
Nexus 7 2013, latest TWRP

Not to revive a dead thread, but since I've had the same issue as the last post, and resolved it on the same device, Nexus 7 (2013 flo 16 gb) I thought I'd chime in to tell how I worked around it for that device. I could not install any Android 9 ROM that would allow me to install any Open GApps without getting that aforementioned error 70 in TWRP. I finally tried the combination of AICP (unofficial) based on Pie [AOSP Extended (unofficial) also worked] and GApps for Android 9 arm Pico. That version of GApps and either of those two ROMs allow me to get the Nexus 7 running again with Android Pie. I don't know why that worked, but I should mention I didn't have that problem with my Nexus 7 deb that has 32 gb onboard, so I'm guessing it had something to do with the different sizes. I can run any Pie ROM on the deb tablet. I hope this helps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    5. Wipe > Format Data,
    9. Reboot System