Opera Mini 5 now a native Windows Mobile app, plus mortscript for default links

Search This thread

TangerineTractor

Sep 8, 2006
Opera's latest beta of Mini is now in WM native code, so doesn't need java. It's really very fast.
Details at http://m.opera.com/next

Anyhow, I always used the java version of OM, and had a mortscript to make it the default browser for email links etc... so I've butchered the mortscript to work with the new non-java version of Opera Mini.

Some things to note...
The way it works, I couln't use mortscript to sebt ctrl-v to paste the url, so I used mouse control to bring up the context menu to paste. Therefore, it relies on the address box to be in a consistent place, so only works on QVGA devices like my Mega (Touch2) - for non-QVGA devices, someone will need to change the coordinates on the mouse commands in the mortscript.
It works on a new instance of OM fine, in standard mode and full screen. It works onto an existing instance of OM if not running fullscreen... the fullscreen mode seems to work strangely if you've scrolled down the page - I send a 'home' keypress' which in normal mode returns to the top of the page, but doesn't always in fullscreen mode.

So here's how my changes to the originl java om script work...

I run or switch to "\program files\opera mini5\OM5.exe" so make a copy of the current of executable called that - the executables seem to be named as the current release version.

Once OM is running, I send a 'home' keypress to get to teh top of the page. Then I send a mouseclick near the top to try to get in the address box, then I send one slightly lower down. This allows for both full screen and standard displays. If you're on a non-QVGA device, these will need adjusting.
Once I'm in the address box, I send four backspaces to clear the "www.", then I send a hold mouse command to bring up the context menu, and then a mouse click to select paste - again, non-QVGA is going to be trial and error...

I tried sending "#1" to get to enter URL, but it didn't work, neither did ctrl-V to paste!

I haven't modified the original installer, so you'll need to install the cab and then overwrite the mscr in \Windows with the butchered version.

This is just a quick and dirty workaround. Hopefully someone out there will be inspired to do a better/neater version, or at least create a neat installer!

rafish

May 6, 2008
Opera Mini 5 Beta 2 for WM
"While Opera Mini traditionally requires Java, the new Windows Mobile version does not, which means the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) on the Windows Mobile device is no longer needed to run Opera Mini. "

Ferdimage

Jan 1, 2009
Sydney
*above*
hehe tell him what he really wants to hear...
ok i will...Mini is fast a f**k compared to opera 10..
only differene i have seen is the way you scroll though pages not as smooth at 10..

arturobandini

Sep 23, 2008
Paris
Indeed, I personally find Opera Mini 5 far better than Opera Mobile 10.

It's faster, more convenient, use less data, etc... And mainly it's faster, faster, faster :D

Opera 10 is definitely too slow compared to Opera Mini. I'm not patient enough.

The only thing Opera Mini is missing is Flash...

optyqus

Sep 8, 2007
Romania, NT
OK, first, this release is a crap. It's far worse than the java version. Some bugs till now: you can't login to certain pages, it doesn't work corectly with the SIP- if you press delete once the prompter will fastly go backwards and delete the entire text! So be carefull.A similar behaviour I encountered on the arrow keys: if you press once right or left the prompter will not jump a character, it will go at the begining or the end of the text. Also a friend reported that on his device this version of opera mini misses the exit button.
Too bad for this release, the browser in this stage is lame.

And stop comparing opera mini with opera 10. They are tottaly different, despite they look the same. Opera 10 does full browsing and opera mini uses servers to resize data before sending it to the phone, that's why it's fast.

pupakota

Sep 29, 2009
So what is the difference between Mini 5 and Mobile 10 now?
of course you know that all mini's are using opera server to generate smaller amount of data being sent to your devices.
it's whole secret of its speed and main difference(i wouldnt make bank transactions that way, generally)..

cyanide911

Jun 28, 2009
Okay this is confusing. I thought that the whole server resize thing was Opera Turbo, which comes built in in both mini and mobile now, right?

TangerineTractor

Sep 8, 2006
Okay this is confusing. I thought that the whole server resize thing was Opera Turbo, which comes built in in both mini and mobile now, right?

My understanding is that Turbo in Mobile is sort of a half-way version - I guess they are rendering images server-side and sending text for rendering on the device, or something like that. Mini is definitely much faster, and I haven't encountered any of the problems that other people are reporting about not displaying pages, input or anything yet on this release, having used it for a couple of days.
I guess if you use your winmo device for full web browsing, you're going to use mobile, but if like me you use it for email, surfing news sites, forums and message boards, then mini is just sooooo much faster, even with mobile turbo mode now available.

vahid_ppc

Sep 16, 2007
i cant even search any thing in any site!
when i use a search engine (like google or yahoo) and press search on that page it wont search and just reload the existing page!
any body have the same problem?!

TangerineTractor

Sep 8, 2006
i cant even search any thing in any site!
when i use a search engine (like google or yahoo) and press search on that page it wont search and just reload the existing page!
any body have the same problem?!

No problem searching using the search from teh top of the page.
Can't post anything on forums etc, so it looks like the submit biuttons don't work.

I'm still finding it brilliant just for general surfing, and there's always mobile or the old java version to fall back on if needed.

vahid_ppc

Sep 16, 2007
No problem searching using the search from teh top of the page.
Can't post anything on forums etc, so it looks like the submit biuttons don't work.

I'm still finding it brilliant just for general surfing, and there's always mobile or the old java version to fall back on if needed.
yes but just it search's with google engine!
what if i want to search with yahoo or bing or...?!:confused:
i posted it because i was looking for a solution(if exist!)
thanks any way:eek:

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone