[OPNORD][OOS AC01AA/BA/DA] Unbrick tool to restore your device to OxygenOS

Search This thread
Disclaimer: By attempting any of the processes listed in this thread you accept full responsibility for your actions. I will not be held responsible if your device stops working, catches fire, or turns into a hipster and claims to have been modified before it was cool.

Hi everyone, similar to the previous threads for
OP3, OP3T, OP5, OP5T, OP6, OP6T, OP7, OP7PRO, regular OP7T, T-Mobile OP7T, regular OP7TPRO, T-Mobile OP7TPro 5G, regular OP8, T-Mobile OP8 and OP8Pro here are the EDL packages (also known as MSM tools or unbrick tools) that can revive a bricked OnePlus Nord.

You can also rollback your phone to a previous release of OOS with them if for some reason you would like to go back to an older firmware :)

You can download the following versions:

AC01AA tools (global firmware):
ANDROID 10:

AC01BA tools (european firmware):
ANDROID 10:

AC01DA tools (indian firmware):
ANDROID 10:

Warning:

As this happened on OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro Pro, it is advised to take backup of /persist partition before crossflashing (eg going from European to Indian build) as fingerprint reader may give an error related to enrollment issue. You can do so by using dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist of=/sdcard/persist.img (you must have root access, see https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-nord/how-to/guide-how-to-root-oneplus-nord-t4139411 for that) and moving it to your computer/cloud.

Instructions:

Launch MsmDownloadTool V4.0.exe.

On the login prompt select "Other" in the dropdown menu and click on Next.
Wait a few seconds until main window shows up.
Click on Target button and select O2 while using global tool or India while using indian tool or EU when using european tool.
Press Start button (this is done so that device will be "captured" automatically by tool instead of going back to normal boot after 10 seconds)

Power your device off.
Let it cool down for one minute.
Maintain volume up and volume down keys for at least 40 seconds to get into Qualcomm EDL mode.
Plug your device to your computer using stock OnePlus cable. (You may let volume keys go once done.)
Wait ~300 seconds.
Enjoy your brand new device.

FAQ:

Does this work on Mac or on Linux?

Unfortunately no, tool is Windows only. You should need at least Windows 7.

Why is my antivirus freaking out when unzipping the archive or running the tool?

In an effort to protect reverse engineering from being done (and by extension prevent conversion process like it was done on 6T and 7Pro), OnePlus now use VM Protect V3 in their MSM tools. As this tries to detect debug environment, this is seen as malicious behaviour by some antivirus.

My device isn't detected

Go to device manager and make sure your phone shows up as QDLOADER 9008.
If it shows up as QHUSB_BULK, it means Qualcomm driver wasn't installed automatically by Windows Update. Download the latest one from Microsoft website at http://download.windowsupdate.com/c..._fba473728483260906ba044af3c063e309e6259d.cab (source https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=qualcomm hs usb 9008 ) and install it manually by right clicking on QHUSB_BULK and selecting "Update driver software" and "Browse my computer for driver software" to where you downloaded CAB file.

MSM tool is stuck on "Param pre-processing"

Ensure you're using the Qualcomm drivers linked above.

MSM tool is stuck on "Sahara communication failed"

Unplug your phone, get in fastboot mode, turn off phone, wait 15 secondes and get back in Qualcomm EDL mode. You can also try using a USB 2.0 port instead of a 3.0 one.

What is SMT Download mode?

Just don't try to unlock that mode, it will wipe your IMEI and your Widevine certificate if you use it.

How can I fix "SMT config not found" error?

Please refer to https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=83448961&postcount=61, all credits to @Shadow12347 for finding it out.

Credits:

@Lord Ace for testing 10.5.2 Indian tool on his device.
OnePlus for the device and OS

Last edited:

norder

Aug 17, 2020
@ Some_Random_Username

I have a NVBackupUI(thread here) error msg that refuses to go away.

I have used your guide to reflash OOS 10.5.2 but the error message is still there.

Do you by any chance have any idea on a way to resolve this?

norder

Aug 17, 2020
How you got this error..
And is this affecting your phone functionality?

This is a brand new set and I first noticed it after I set up my phone. The usual data transfers, reinstalling apps etc. But now, it will not go away. Im thinking it's like that out of the box, just that I did not notice it earlier.

So far I have not had any issues functionality wise and my local OP support tells me to ignore it and a future update will fix it. They're not sure of the cause either and could not fix it.

This message keeps coming back even after multiple factory resets + a ROM reflash. I'm trying to rule out a hardware issue.

I did notice that this app is one of those that you remove when you debloat your OP set. I'm sure it would go away if I did that but if theres an underlying issue I might just be setting myself up for a catastrophic failure in future.

skayii

Nov 23, 2016
Głogów
Hi, my friend really messed up with his phone. Phone currently have encrypted data partition. Problem is that msmtool doesn't detect phone at all, also device manager doesn't show it while its in msmtool. Anything he can do?

This is a brand new set and I first noticed it after I set up my phone. The usual data transfers, reinstalling apps etc. But now, it will not go away. Im thinking it's like that out of the box, just that I did not notice it earlier.

So far I have not had any issues functionality wise and my local OP support tells me to ignore it and a future update will fix it. They're not sure of the cause either and could not fix it.

This message keeps coming back even after multiple factory resets + a ROM reflash. I'm trying to rule out a hardware issue.

I did notice that this app is one of those that you remove when you debloat your OP set. I'm sure it would go away if I did that but if theres an underlying issue I might just be setting myself up for a catastrophic failure in future.

@ Some_Random_Username

I have used your guide to reflash OOS 10.5.2 but the error message is still there.

Unfortunately no idea, MSM tool in upgrade mode doesn't touch to NV items.
Either wait a new OOS build after 10.5.4 or RMA your device.

Hi, my friend really messed up with his phone. Phone currently have encrypted data partition. Problem is that msmtool doesn't detect phone at all, also device manager doesn't show it while its in msmtool. Anything he can do?

Make sure his device is off before trying to get in Qualcomm HS-USB 9008 mode, that was something we ran into during testing.
Also as a sidenote encryption state of the phone doesn't matter to use this tool.

Reactions: skayii and norder

mchtt

Jun 12, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S22
Works great thanks a lot for the links i had to install the driver and your post was well made to avoid me any hassles :)
By the way, it re-locks the bootloader ;)

austinpinto

Nov 5, 2014
mumbai
@ Some_Random_Username
can you tell me how you got this tool?
i could try getting the tool with oxygen os 10.55
thanks for this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: By attempting any of the processes listed in this thread you accept full responsibility for your actions. I will not be held responsible if your device stops working, catches fire, or turns into a hipster and claims to have been modified before it was cool.

Hi everyone, similar to the previous threads for
    OP3, OP3T, OP5, OP5T, OP6, OP6T, OP7, OP7PRO, regular OP7T, T-Mobile OP7T, regular OP7TPRO, T-Mobile OP7TPro 5G, regular OP8, T-Mobile OP8 and OP8Pro here are the EDL packages (also known as MSM tools or unbrick tools) that can revive a bricked OnePlus Nord.

You can also rollback your phone to a previous release of OOS with them if for some reason you would like to go back to an older firmware :)

You can download the following versions:

AC01AA tools (global firmware):
    ANDROID 10:

AC01BA tools (european firmware):
    ANDROID 10:

AC01DA tools (indian firmware):
    ANDROID 10:

Warning:

As this happened on OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro Pro, it is advised to take backup of /persist partition before crossflashing (eg going from European to Indian build) as fingerprint reader may give an error related to enrollment issue. You can do so by using dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist of=/sdcard/persist.img (you must have root access, see https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-nord/how-to/guide-how-to-root-oneplus-nord-t4139411 for that) and moving it to your computer/cloud.

Instructions:

Launch MsmDownloadTool V4.0.exe.

On the login prompt select "Other" in the dropdown menu and click on Next.
    Wait a few seconds until main window shows up.
    Click on Target button and select O2 while using global tool or India while using indian tool or EU when using european tool.
    Press Start button (this is done so that device will be "captured" automatically by tool instead of going back to normal boot after 10 seconds)

Power your device off.
    Let it cool down for one minute.
    Maintain volume up and volume down keys for at least 40 seconds to get into Qualcomm EDL mode.
    Plug your device to your computer using stock OnePlus cable. (You may let volume keys go once done.)
    Wait ~300 seconds.
    Enjoy your brand new device.

FAQ:

Does this work on Mac or on Linux?

Unfortunately no, tool is Windows only. You should need at least Windows 7.

Why is my antivirus freaking out when unzipping the archive or running the tool?

In an effort to protect reverse engineering from being done (and by extension prevent conversion process like it was done on 6T and 7Pro), OnePlus now use VM Protect V3 in their MSM tools. As this tries to detect debug environment, this is seen as malicious behaviour by some antivirus.

My device isn't detected

Go to device manager and make sure your phone shows up as QDLOADER 9008.
    If it shows up as QHUSB_BULK, it means Qualcomm driver wasn't installed automatically by Windows Update. Download the latest one from Microsoft website at http://download.windowsupdate.com/c..._fba473728483260906ba044af3c063e309e6259d.cab (source https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=qualcomm hs usb 9008 ) and install it manually by right clicking on QHUSB_BULK and selecting "Update driver software" and "Browse my computer for driver software" to where you downloaded CAB file.

MSM tool is stuck on "Param pre-processing"

Ensure you're using the Qualcomm drivers linked above.

MSM tool is stuck on "Sahara communication failed"

Unplug your phone, get in fastboot mode, turn off phone, wait 15 secondes and get back in Qualcomm EDL mode. You can also try using a USB 2.0 port instead of a 3.0 one.

What is SMT Download mode?

Just don't try to unlock that mode, it will wipe your IMEI and your Widevine certificate if you use it.

How can I fix "SMT config not found" error?

Please refer to https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=83448961&postcount=61, all credits to @Shadow12347 for finding it out.

Credits:

@Lord Ace for testing 10.5.2 Indian tool on his device.
    OnePlus for the device and OS
    It worked for me,
    After unlocking and locking bootloader and ended with corrupted device on locked bootloader
    This method helped to solve it.

Thank You
    Small token for the help: Transaction ID: 5NF52401AU895305W

@ Some_Random_Username

Unfortunately no idea, MSM tool in upgrade mode doesn't touch to NV items.
    Either wait a new OOS build after 10.5.4 or RMA your device.

Make sure his device is off before trying to get in Qualcomm HS-USB 9008 mode, that was something we ran into during testing.
    Also as a sidenote encryption state of the phone doesn't matter to use this tool.