Ordinary USB cables that support dash charging

Search This thread

fonebone2

I've read countless comments here about how dash charging requires a compatible charger and cable. However. I recently made an unexpected discovery that certain cables sold on Amazon support dash charging with the Oppo branded VOOC chargers (but apparently not the OnePlus branded charger). I discovered this by accident when I plugged this cable into my Oppo charger:

Cable Matters USB-C Cable (USB A to USB C Cable/USB C to USB Cable) in Black 6.6 Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S8GU544/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_dkTJBbN069J3Z

Using this cable I get the beep, the blue light and the dash charging icon, and my OP6 does in fact charge at the faster rate. Wondering if it was a fluke, I bought a second cable and got the same results. This is great since these cables are 6 feet long, thin and flexible, and appear to be well made.

Now here's where it gets really weird: both cables only dash charge when plugged into the Oppo branded wall charger. When connected to the OnePlus charger they only charge at the normal rate. The Oppo charger looks exactly the same only with different branding. I do not know why these cables seem to work with one but not the other. I cant think of why they would support dash charging at all except that maybe they're made for the Chinese domestic market.

Last edited:

netgar

Jan 14, 2012
I've read countless comments here about how dash charging requires a compatible charger and cable. However. I recently made an unexpected discovery that certain cables sold on Amazon support dash charging with the Oppo branded VOOC chargers (but apparently not the OnePlus branded charger). I discovered this by accident when I plugged this cable into my Oppo charger:

Cable Matters USB-C Cable (USB A to USB C Cable/USB C to USB Cable) in Black 6.6 Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S8GU544/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_dkTJBbN069J3Z

Using this cable I get the beep, the blue light and the dash charging icon, and my OP6 does in fact charge at the faster rate. Wondering if it was a fluke, I bought a second cable and got the same results. This is great since these cables are 6 feet long, thin and flexible, and appear to be well made.

Now here's where it gets really weird: both cables only dash charge when plugged into the Oppo branded wall charger. When connected to the OnePlus charger they only charge at the normal rate. The Oppo charger looks exactly the same only with different branding. I do not know why these cables seem to work with one but not the other. I cant think of why they would support dash charging at all except that maybe they're made for the Chinese domestic market.

Where did u get opportunity charger from?

fonebone2

More pics showing dash charging working with these cables.

Attachments

• 0_IMG_20180905_120508_779.jpg
    0_IMG_20180905_120508_779.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 2,091
  • 0_IMG_20180905_120527_500.jpg
    0_IMG_20180905_120527_500.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 2,058

theaxis01

Jun 13, 2018
From what I understand, OP has a way of knowing if one of their cables is connected. If using a generic cable, it will default to slow charging.

Seeing that OP fast charging is based off of OPPO fast charging, it should be fine.

I would assume the OPPO brick doesn't care who's cable you're using as long as it can support the higher charging rate

mzsquared

Feb 22, 2018
CT
Ordered both, the USB/C cable was just delivered, 3ft is long enough. Found it on Amazon for $5 and the OPPO charger on eBay for $10, that's about a 1/2 price of Oem from OP site.($8 and $20 respectively) It's always good to have a spare 'just in case'.

Attachments

• opcab.jpg
    opcab.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,095
  • IMG_20180906_140548.jpg
    IMG_20180906_140548.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 1,091
  • oppovv.PNG
    oppovv.PNG
    138.5 KB · Views: 1,110
Last edited:

bym007

Apr 17, 2006
Melbourne
Yes, its recommended to just buy oppo charger / cables. Both are the same and support dash (same name with vooc) . It's alot cheaper too.

Sometimes its the only option.

I am in Australia and the only charger with Australian pins is available through Oppo.
OnePlus does not manufacture AU chargers currently.

dr.guru

Nov 24, 2017
I have the official oneplus dash charger and the dash charging is activated with all the cables I have (an old huawei cable, and 2 generic ones) , but it took 3 to 4 seconds for the phone to activate dash charging while it is almost instantaneous with the official cable.

4umexdeeay

Hi all ;)

Thanks very much to the o.p. for providing this solution to wanting a longer-than-OnePlus's-maximum-150cm (4ft 11in) length cable that actually fast-charges...

...Now here's where it gets really weird: both cables only dash charge when plugged into the Oppo branded wall charger. When connected to the OnePlus charger they only charge at the normal rate...

I'll be purchasing a "Cable Matters" 6.6ft cable based on the 1st post's suggestion, however if I can avoid buying the "Oppo branded VOOC charger" I would.

I have the official oneplus dash charger and the dash charging is activated with all the cables I have (an old huawei cable, and 2 generic ones)...

I was hoping to clear this up before proceeding with the order.
Anyone else able to get non-OnePlus OEM cables fast-charging with the OnePlus oem power supply wall charger?

pendragon666

May 31, 2012
BlitzWolf BW-P12 supports dash 20 on my op6t in case anyone needs a powerbank with Warp charge. they do not advertise it anywhere, it just works. Also the advertised low power charge does not work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Where did u get opportunity charger from?

I got the Oppo wall charger on eBay from a Chinese seller.
    I think it's a sure bet since OnePlus and OPPO are under the same corporate umbrella. They might even have the same R&D for accessories.

I have read people recommending to get Oppo VOOC charger brick, as it supports Dash Charge.

Oppo and OnePlus are same companies.