Oreo 8.0 and a persistent notification

Search This thread

A.VOID

Aug 10, 2010
I have an app, "Secure Apps Manager" that shows a persistent notification I've been unable to hide. It shows in the notification bar that it's "Running in the Background." I disabled it in the Notification settings, but it continues to display on the notification bar and the lock screen.

I was able hide it in Nougat, but it looks like the rules changed in Oreo. Anyone with ideas/ input how I can hide it?

Ammonarrow

Jun 4, 2016
So there is this line in notification policy in /data/system

<channel id="FOREGROUND_SERVICE" name="Apps, die im Hintergrund ausgeführt werden" importance="1" sound="content://settings/system/notification_sound" usage="5" content_type="4" flags="0" locked="4" show_badge="true" />

If you change show_badge to false, it works. However, it enables itself again (who knoes why)

Gesendet von meinem Pixel XL mit Tapatalk

A.VOID

Aug 10, 2010
I can disable it for the max time of 2 hours, but yep... It comes back.

A.VOID

Aug 10, 2010
No options blooming under all categories. Only thing showing blue is "Allow Notification Dot"

Ammonarrow

Jun 4, 2016
Nothing like this? Screenshot_20170823-181506.png

Gesendet von meinem Pixel XL mit Tapatalk

dustinb17

Nov 6, 2007
Idaho
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
I get that screen, but I don't see anything flashing to move down. It looks like your turned off everything

You can't get rid of the notification in your notification shade but you can remove the icon from your status bar. If you long press on the "apps running in the background" notification and select "All categories" you're presented with a list of apps and toggles. Some of the toggles you may be able to actually toggle and some you will not.

If you scroll down through the list with toggles that are grayed out preventing you from toggling them off, look for the item "Apps running in background" and select it (not the toggle, click on the actual text)

From here you want to click on "importance" at the top and change it to "low" ... Again this will not remove the notification but you will at least lose the little graph icon in the corner of the status bar.

Hope that helps and is less confusing ... And hopefully that's what you were wanting and this isn't a completely pointless post.

Reactions: droidzika

A.VOID

Aug 10, 2010
You can't get rid of the notification in your notification shade but you can remove the icon from your status bar. If you long press on the "apps running in the background" notification and select "All categories" you're presented with a list of apps and toggles. Some of the toggles you may be able to actually toggle and some you will not.

If you scroll down through the list with toggles that are grayed out preventing you from toggling them off, look for the item "Apps running in background" and select it (not the toggle, click on the actual text)

From here you want to click on "importance" at the top and change it to "low" ... Again this will not remove the notification but you will at least lose the little graph icon in the corner of the status bar.

Hope that helps and is less confusing ... And hopefully that's what you were wanting and this isn't a completely pointless post.

Yep, I figured it out. I wish it was gone for good, but this is far less annoying. Thanks all!

xocomaox

Aug 18, 2008
Orlando, FL
Aren't there always going to be apps running in the background on Android? I don't have O yet but this almost doesn't sound like an intended feature.

A.VOID

Aug 10, 2010
There was a link to a google Android help forum somewhere. The engineers claimed it was by design, however I cry BS. Nougat let you hide it. Not sure why we can't hide it now.
I can disable it for up to 2 hours, so why can't I disable it for good?

grifforama

Dec 9, 2009
Yes, this is by design.
Utterly stupid, as many will have apps running in the background.
Not sure what Google was thinking when they signed off on this one.

It is not going to be removed.

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/62472739

Basically the answer was

Engineering team responded with below comment:
"We will not let users block the 'running in the background' notification
though we have worked on changing the rules about when it will appear."

Archangel

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
Can someone tell me how to disable the suggestions bar in the settings menu, thank you!

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    125.7 KB · Views: 287
  • 1.png
    1.png
    129 KB · Views: 292

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I get that screen, but I don't see anything flashing to move down. It looks like your turned off everything