• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Oreo battery life

Search This thread

ticalo

Aug 28, 2008
Heaven
I can't cope with this bad battery life that came with Oreo. I'm not a heavy user and I do have Bluetooth enabled because of my Gear S3 - but at this rate I need to recharge my phone twice a day...

I've already done a restore, removed all unnecessary apps, replaced mail Push to 15min and other changes for a better battery life. But nothing helps.

Do you also have the same issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180214-103247_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180214-103247_Settings.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 9,426
Reactions: Nezzox

DjSkreem

Sep 9, 2008
Arima
yea battery life kinda sucks and i have not hooked up all my apps as yet ..
auto brightness seems to be stable and a bit better but the battery is horrid i left home at 6:20 am with 100% i'm already on 53% with bluetooth audio and whatsapp really.
I did a factory reset after my upgrade.

hanifh

Oct 17, 2010
Nairobi
I can't cope with this bad battery life that came with Oreo. I'm not a heavy user and I do have Bluetooth enabled because of my Gear S3 - but at this rate I need to recharge my phone twice a day...

I've already done a restore, removed all unnecessary apps, replaced mail Push to 15min and other changes for a better battery life. But nothing helps.

Do you also have the same issue?

turn of "mobile data always on" inside Developer Options and see.

Reactions: Barracuda77777

msubhan

Mar 23, 2012
Can someone on the internet identify this underlining issue of battery getting exhausted so rapidly. On Nougat it was just fine but after updating to Oreo, battery backup is gotten worse. Whenever I see battery stats Android OS and Android System using absurd amount of battery just below the screen usage time and sometimes either of them is on top in usage.

I have done numerous resets with and without data restore. But nothing changes.

deraiz12

Nov 30, 2013
I think have found the problem. Samsung Email, after Oreo this app keep on in background every time (do not look in battery monitor but in applications) . I already try one day without any mail app and the gain is enormous and other one day with other mail app (Gmail) and the gain is also enormous. For last day (tomorow) I try again with Samsung email for confirm the result .

Reactions: db452 and mitkomit

wtr_dhd

Dec 12, 2011
Flanders
Same problem here but with my S8+. Went from 7h SOT to 4h SOT. I also deleted samsung mail app and replaced it with gmail but even that didn't really fix it.. Other than that Oreo is really good in terms of performance, but I want my old battery life back. Hopefully Samsung will fix this with the next update.

I am really surprised some people have better battery life with Oreo. Maybe it has to do with Snapdragon vs Exynos ? I have an S8+ with Exynos CPU

msubhan

Mar 23, 2012
Currently on my S8Plus(Exynos) I am unable to get a full day of battery backup with moderate usage. SOT usually lies between 2-2.5hrs max in 12hours on battery.
Also I don't have Samsung Mail App. All things stock with limited no. of 3rd party apps likes social media apps, 2-3 shopping apps and also 3 gmail accounts synced.

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

I am having better battery life on Oreo.

What's your SOT and how many apps are installed also do you use location services. If possible share your battery stats here.

Feb 10, 2018
Battery Drain

I think have found the problem. Samsung Email, after Oreo this app keep on in background every time (do not look in battery monitor but in applications) . I already try one day without any mail app and the gain is enormous and other one day with other mail app (Gmail) and the gain is also enormous. For last day (tomorow) I try again with Samsung email for confirm the result .

Hi I went by your suggestion and checked in apps to see which one were consuming the highest battery & my culprits are Bixby Global Action & Bixby Service each consuming 11% each :eek::eek: (Please see attached files). I am also attaching usage statistics of today. Both before disabling services and after disabling. (See the time to figure out). Will get a better idea tomorrow.

Suggest everyone to look in to their apps usage and post their findings.

EDIT: I just checked I had used the STOPPED the applications but forgot to disable them. Have disabled them now at 17.45 PM and will update later.

Last edited:

deraiz12

Nov 30, 2013
Hi I went by your suggestion and checked in apps to see which one were consuming the highest battery & my culprits are Bixby Global Action & Bixby Service each consuming 11% each :eek::eek: (Please see attached files). I am also attaching usage statistics of today. Both before disabling services and after disabling. (See the time to figure out). Will get a better idea tomorrow.

Suggest everyone to look in to their apps usage and post their findings.

EDIT: I just checked I had used the STOPPED the applications but forgot to disable them. Have disabled them now at 17.45 PM and will update later.

Be careful the percentage of consumption of this app is a is a consumption of many app from "android system "
But it's not worth to disable lot of Bixby

MobyDck

Jun 25, 2013
Battery on Oreo is way better than Nougat. Never had over 4 hours SOT... And I have tons of apps installed. 143 apps to be exact :eek:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180217-142214_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180217-142214_Settings.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 2,609
  • Screenshot_20180217-142142_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180217-142142_Settings.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 2,603
  • Screenshot_20180217-142130_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180217-142130_Settings.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 2,665
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally found the solution. Enter settings, and then find Permissions, then click on Body sensor permission and then, turn off Google play services. The battery is much better now.
    Hi, I noticed that my Oreo (I upgraded to Oreo just 3 days before) battery drain had gone after turning off background usage of Android OS and Outlook (if you have).

Notice when you open battery usage, wait until it shows Android OS, press it and turn off its "App background usage" or something like that toggle, same with Outlook.
    After doing it, it does not take effect instantly but after using for some hours and had some full charges, the drain had gone, before it was draining 100% fast to 97% in less than 30mins while screen is turned off, now it does not anymore, just the same with what I had with Nougat. (still 100% like after around 1hr or more with default mode - optimized).

You would think that disabling Android OS background would give bad results - I thought so too but it doesn't. They would not enable turning it off it would, won't they? As well as Outlook, I use Outlook app for my work and thought turning off background processing won't give me notifications anymore but it still did!.. I wonder what kind of background it suppresses as it it still updates automatically as long as i am connected to the internet whether data or wifi.

I hope this works for you or for anyone as well. Just remember effect on mine is not instant, I had like 2 cycle charges before I noticed the effect.

Thanks,
    gliz
    Hi there.
    I came across problems with high Android System drain. First of all I disabled bixby, then checked in gsam battery manager what's eating my energy and came across that main cause was Samsung Cloud.
    Then I found Android system in settings->applications and chose disable background processes. Since then I have quite good battery life.

What was eating my batt was cloud service, which cranked up processors to the max and heated up device like crazy.

Also I am using bk disable for disabling unnecessary apps.
    turn of "mobile data always on" inside Developer Options and see.

this helped me a lot..
    now my battery stand by time is much much better.
    Yesterday It lasted for almost 1 day 10 hours.
    No debloated, FHD+, AOD off. Sync Gps always on.
    Can someone on the internet identify this underlining issue of battery getting exhausted so rapidly. On Nougat it was just fine but after updating to Oreo, battery backup is gotten worse. Whenever I see battery stats Android OS and Android System using absurd amount of battery just below the screen usage time and sometimes either of them is on top in usage.

I have done numerous resets with and without data restore. But nothing changes.