[Oreo][Stock][Rom] TWRP Flashable Stock Builds

Search This thread

PratyushJayachandran

Jan 28, 2020
Refer to post #2 for the details of where the backup is stored, named, and how to restore them if necessary.

The issue you had may have been because you weren't using the erase EFS option. I don't know for sure. Or, you may already have an issue with your persist - refer to the FAQ " On soak test 2 or later, I have my IMEI but no signal. What can I do?" on the second post.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will try this and post back the result/observations.

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
Apr 26, 2013
Moto G 2014
Moto G5 Plus
Just want to add something in here, as there seems to be a little confusion.

Erasing the EFS (modemst1/2) is a standard part of the OTA process and the fastboot process if you use the same commands that are in the relevant XML file that comes with the fastboot zips. this is also what lenovo smart assistant will do.

The EFS is recreated each boot if it doesn't exist. The only time that it doesn't get recreated is if there is an unrecoverable problem with your persist, specifically the key file dhob.bin.

So, to be absolutely safe, use the backup option in the TWRP flashable builds, and save the backups into the cloud. Of course, there is no guarantee that you don't already have an issue with your persist, in which case the backups of your EFS backups should be safeguarded with the greatest of care.

refer to this thread for more information
https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5-plus/how-to/fix-persist-resolve-imei0-explanation-t3825147 t
Thanks for clarifying things a bit and correcting me. As I said I never used a TWRP flashable build so the only thing I knew for sure, thanks to your investigations in the Nougat days was have a backup of your persist (I had two, one TWRP backup and a dd one;)) and keep also a backup of efs in case your dhob bin or its permissions may be damaged by some custom ROM.
I should have mentioned that efs is recreated after a fastboot flash (if you don't omit the commands) or OTA update.

Sent from my Moto G5 Plus using XDA Labs

PratyushJayachandran

Jan 28, 2020
Thanks for clarifying things a bit and correcting me. As I said I never used a TWRP flashable build so the only thing I knew for sure, thanks to your investigations in the Nougat days was have a backup of your persist (I had two, one TWRP backup and a dd one;)) and keep also a backup of efs in case your dhob bin or its permissions may be damaged by some custom ROM.
I should have mentioned that efs is recreated after a fastboot flash (if you don't omit the commands) or OTA update.
Thanks for your input. :)
I now have clarity as to how to proceed.:eek:

PratyushJayachandran

Jan 28, 2020
Am I the only one around here who doesn't get a usable system after trying to flash this? I've tried several times now, with the latest TWRP. It boots up but then there are just crash loops for google play services I can't get past.
Are you wiping the device before installing this build?
Format data too.

ashrafrahman

Oct 21, 2015
I can't turn on my Moto g5 plus indian version directly without bootloader settings

When I try to restart or power off or on then my Moto g5 plus start in bootloader mode and then I have to select start to turn on the device, if anyone can help me with this I will be grateful

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
In an effort to get VoLTE working (IMS registration wasn't working) I used this to go back to stock Oreo from AEX Pie.

I get no signal. Phone info page shows radio off. If I turn on, exit, and go back it's off again.

System I fo shows my IMEI amd phone number correctly, just no signal. Not 1xRTT, not EVDO, not LTE data, nothing.

Any thoughts on why the radio would be off or how to fix it?

NZedPred

Mar 16, 2016
Wellington
In an effort to get VoLTE working (IMS registration wasn't working) I used this to go back to stock Oreo from AEX Pie.

I get no signal. Phone info page shows radio off. If I turn on, exit, and go back it's off again.

System I fo shows my IMEI amd phone number correctly, just no signal. Not 1xRTT, not EVDO, not LTE data, nothing.

Any thoughts on why the radio would be off or how to fix it?
Refer to the FAQ second post, IMEI but no signal on soak test 2 or later. See it that helps.

I should also add, if that works, do you have a backup of your persist from when things were working? You may need to restore it.

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
Refer to the FAQ second post, IMEI but no signal on soak test 2 or later. See it that helps.

I should also add, if that works, do you have a backup of your persist from when things were working? You may need to restore it.
I have the backup that the installed made plus full backups from TWRP before I started this, and back when I first installed AEX (over a year ago).

I may not have erased EFS when I installed (it wad getting late and don't remember for sure).

I'll get back to you. Glad to see you're still around. So many potter devs aren't.

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013

Ok, tried just erasing modemst1 and 2. No go.
Restored persist/EFS backup and radio works including VoLTE.

Tried a few 3rd part ROMs and non give VoLTE. Back to stock (made sure it erased EFS) and had to flash persist again.

Weird that that I had to flash persist again. Need to go back through all the persist threads and see if I can gain some insight.

I may end up using stock if I can't get VoLTE working on 9 or 10 based ROMs. Reall would like a newer ROM though.
I really need VoLTE as CDMA/1xRTT signal is very weak in the house. Not to mention the annoyance of no data during a call.

Rutambh

Sep 11, 2015
Sihor
Can You tell me the install process?
I am currently on Stock 8.1 but no Volte, I tried as you said in your Post of "Fix Persist" but still I didn't get the Volte,
I also flashed Nougat stock but I didn't get it in that either!

Should I flash this 8.1 flashable Rom directly or I should flash nougat rom first and then 8.1?

Bruno_Puzoni

Jan 4, 2014
Ribeirão Pires, Brazil
Hi everyone! Didn't know where to post this so I guess I'll make a comment here, if there's any problem let me know.
Today (November 26) I received an official update on my phone (really wasn't expecting it) and didn't find anyone talking about the update.
Update version OPS28.85-17-6-3, so just a small update over OPS28.85-17-6-2

The "changelog" included with the update says the following (translating from portuguese).
Stability improvements: includes alterations that fix errors and optimizes the stability of your device.
Screenshot of the update

Edit: oh, btw, there is nothing in the Motorola Support page, last Moto G5 Plus update was the OPS28.85-17-6-2 one, on 2019-03-07.

Last edited:

david.gs.gm

Nov 27, 2015
it came to me too ... I will only be able to update if a file is available to update via twrp ... block my bootloaeder and with our modifications to the original files, the error ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About this project
    This project provides repackaged Stock Oreo roms that can be flashed by TWRP. Modifications from stock are listed below.

As we are now moving into the Oreo world, I've decided that now is a good time to make a few changes to how things were done previously with Nougat. Please pay attention to the next few sections.

Modifications from stock
    • Note - It seems that I can't get DM-verity nor forced encryption disabled. The location of the fstab.qcom file is no longer in the Boot image. I found a similar file in the system image, but changing that appears to have had no effect. In order to disable these, use Magisk. UPDATE - Resolved since soak test 2, and soak test 1 with Aroma installer
    • DM-verity is disabled
    • Forced encryption of the data partition is disabled. It is still possible to encrypt the partition if you wish (optional with Aroma installer)
    • The partition table and boot loader are not included, which makes it safer to up/down-grade.
    • Do not attempt to apply standard OTAs over these builds. They'll probably fail, worst case they will brick your phone

Differences from previous Nougat builds
    • These roms are suitable for all channels. Previously there was separate firmware for different regions (e.g. retin had a separate build from retus), but as a general rule you are safe with any region's firmware.
    • I have now started using the Aroma installer for Oreo builds. Some of the below is now customisable at install time. Aroma installer zips will have "-aroma" in their filename.
    • The modified boot logo will no longer be included in the rom download. A separate zip will be provided to just flash the modified logo.
    • EFS will be erased on install! If your persist is intact, EFS will recreate itself. With the amount of exposure that the lost IMEI issue has had, all should be very familiar with the importance of backing up persist and EFS. And those that have had a compromised persist, will know that they should be hanging on to their EFS backups for dear life. Full details of the issue and solution (for those with intact persist) is here: Fix Persist, resolve IMEI=0, Volte, 4G, Explanation, Requirements From my perspective, the EFS is erased installing OTAs for a reason. I don't know what it is myself, but the folks at Motorola build it into their OTAs and they know far better than I do.
    • As a mitigation to the risk of people forgetting/losing their EFS and / or Persist backups, I will have a very crude backup system integrated into the zips. However, it will take some skill / knowledge to restore from these backups, and they should not be relied upon over the long term. Refer to the second post for more details.

Important information if downgrading to Nougat and Custom Oreo roms
    The Oreo roms will change the ownership of specific files and folders in the /persist folder. As a result of this, stock Nougat will have issues such as lost IMEI, no Volte, no 4G, etc. In order to overcome these issues, either follow the instructions in the link above, or flash the following zip in TWRP.
    potter-stock-persist-fix.zip

Additionally, the latest Nougat builds with the Aroma installer will apply the persist fix when installed.

Another potential issue is that, as a result of various partitions being updated, the new Oreo blobs may not be compatible with existing Nougat roms (stock or custom), or even current Custom Oreo roms. This may result in issues such as the fingerprint reader not working, etc.

UPDATE: Some custom roms are now using the Oreo blobs. However, if you require the older Nougat blobs, you can downgrade through one of the following methods:

1) install one of the latest Stock Nougat TWRP flashables. This will ensure that all affected partitions are compatible with Stock Nougat and Custom Oreo roms. You can get these from this thread here:
    [Nougat][Stock][Rom] TWRP Flashable Stock Builds

2) install one of the firmware-only zips from the below folders. Note that if this results in other odd behaviour, you may need to install and boot into a full stock Nougat firmware as above. The main benefit of these zips is that they are much smaller, ~50MB rather than ~1.4GB.
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=273039
    potter-firmware-92-14.zip is for retin, retla, retbr
    potter-firmware-93-14.zip is for retus, retapac, reteu

Out of respect for the purpose of this thread, please keep questions about whether or not to use Nougat or Oreo firmware for particular custom ROMs in the thread for the custom ROM you are trying to use. I do not support other custom ROMs - the maintainers of those custom ROMs should provide guidance.

Usage
    Steps to flash
    • Ensure you have the latest TWRP
    • Download an appropriate zip from one of the links below
    • Copy to the phone or SD card
    • BACKUP YOUR DATA, INCLUDING EFS AND PERSIST
    • Flash the zip via TWRP
    • Optionally flash Magisk etc - NOTE - in order to disable dm-verity and forced encryption you must flash magisk before rebooting Resolved since Soak Test 2 and Soak Test 1 Aroma installer, Magisk is optional
    • Reboot
    • Profit?

How you can help with new builds
    If your phone gets an OTA notification for a build that has not been released, please pull it and share it in this thread:
    • When the notification is received, allow your phone to download the OTA
    • Power off and boot into recovery
    • Go to Advanced -> File Manager
    • Navigate to /cache
    • There will be a file Blur_Version_x.y.z.potter.blah.zip - Note - Oreo OTAs may not be named this way, they may be named according to the version of the rom that is currently installed
    • Copy it to internal storage or the sdcard
    • Copy to PC (optional)
    • Upload to Mega, Google Drive, wherever
    • Share the link
    You can also remove the file from the /cache folder to prevent any auto-updates from happening.

Latest versions
    • The 85-13 series is released to most channels except retus, and the last update was to 85-17-2.
    • The 85-17 series is released to the retus channel.
    • However, all releases can be used with all channels.
    Official Oreo OPSS28.85-17-6-2 (Oreo 8.1, 1 February 2019 security patches) - Aroma Installer
    Android File Host - potter-twrp-flashable-OPSS28.85-17-6-2-aroma.zip

Official Oreo OPSS28.85-17-6 (Oreo 8.1, 1 February 2019 security patches) - Aroma Installer
    Android File Host - potter-twrp-flashable-OPSS28.85-17-6-aroma.zip

All versions that I have created will be placed in this folder (or the Archive sub-folder) at Android File Host:
    Android File Host - Potter TWRP Flashable Stock Oreo

Modified Boot Logo
    Optional, only needs to be flashed once. Replaces the warning screen with the standard logo. Can't hide the N/A. If you want to hide the N/A, go to the themes forum.
    potter-logo.zip

Kernel Sources
    Kernel sources are provided by Motorola:
    https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityLLC/kernel-msm/

XDA:DevDB Information
    Potter Oreo TWRP Flashable, ROM for the Moto G5 Plus

Contributors
    NZedPred
    ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x

Version Information

Created 2018-08-17
    Last Updated 2019-12-28
    Build OPS28.85-17 01 September 2018 security patch

Hey all - a new build is up with September security patches!

twrp-flashable-potter-OPS28.85-17-aroma.zip
    February 2019 security patch release out - OPSS28.85-17-6

New build available now with the February security patches. This is from the retus software channel, but as always, we're pretty safe if we're on other regions too.

Android File Host - potter-twrp-flashable-OPSS28.85-17-6-aroma.zip
    Dropbox - potter-twrp-flashable-OPSS28.85-17-6-aroma.zip

In case some of you have missed it, I had finally worked out what the underlying issue is regarding the touchscreen not working after flashing one of these Oreo builds. Head over to post #3 for the full details.

Happy flashing, and hit thanks if you appreciate my work!
    October 2018 patches:

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603855696
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nziazzn7q47zmn5/potter-twrp-flashable-OPS28.85-17-2-aroma.zip?dl=0

Did a quick test with these, and safety net failed. So, in the Aroma installer, select the option to change the device fingerprint to pass Safety Net with Magisk.

Don't forget to hit thanks if you want me to continue doing these builds.
    FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the 'very crude backup system integrated into the zips'?
    This is a script that is run at the start of the install. It's purpose is very simple - it creates "dd backups" (i.e. bit-perfect images) of the modemst1/2 and persist partitions. They are stored in your sdcard as "backup_yyyymmddHHMMSS_modemst1.img", etc., where yyyymmddHHMMSS represents the date and time the script was run.

For this to work, your data partition must be mounted. I haven't included any checks for this (I'm not really a shell script person - it would take me hours to get this sort of thing right) - this is what puts the "crude" in "very crude backup system". UPDATE - the aroma installers now check that data is mounted, and abort the install if not. Most of the time the data partition will be mounted in TWRP, so this will work 99% of the time. Caution should still be applied, and you should still copy these or any other backups to cloud storage to be safe.

OK, so if I needed to use these backups, how do I restore them?
    To restore these, you will have to reboot into TWRP and open up a shell or use adb. The commands to restore each partition are as follows (replacing yyyymmddHHMMSS with the appropriate values of course):
    Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/backup_yyyymmddHHMMSS_modemst1.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/modemst1
    dd if=/sdcard/backup_yyyymmddHHMMSS_modemst2.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/modemst2
    dd if=/sdcard/backup_yyyymmddHHMMSS_persist.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist

Note that these commands are very powerful, and applied incorrectly can result in you bricking your phone if you overwrite the wrong partition.

So are dm-verity and forced encryption now not able to be disabled?
    OK some history... Nougat had fstab (file system table) in the boot image. So in those days, I would open up the image, and edit the fstab.qcom file, do the appropriate changes, repack the boot image, and all is fine.

Now, under Oreo, the fstab file is not in the boot image, it's under /system/vendor/etc/fstab.qcom or similar. Editing that file appears to have no effect. For now, Magisk is the easiest way of disabling both, but you must make sure to install it immediately after installing the rom and before rebooting.

Update - this is now resolved in the second Oreo soak test download. dm-verity is still disabled in the boot image, but a completely different way. Once this is done, disabling forced encryption works as expected.

Which partitions are modified?
    The short of it is this - boot, system and 'firmware'-related partitions. None of the bootloader partitions are updated. The full list of partitions that are written is:
    1. modem
    2. fsg
    3. dsp
    4. boot
    5. system
    6. oem

Note that this list applies to the Nougat and Oreo flashable zips.

TWRP is no longer installed after flashing this
    I believe this is related to dm-verity (see above). You will have to first reinstall TWRP via fastboot. When TWRP is back, install magisk immediately after installing the rom, and before rebooting.

I'm having problems with an Oreo custom rom after installing this rom, what can I do?
    Refer to the OP, the section about downgrading to Nougat - the same approach applies. Oreo Custom roms will have been based upon the available Nougat blobs that were available. As the blobs have been updated in the Oreo release, the issue is that they are not compatible. So install a full TWRP Nougat zip and then install your Oreo Custom rom.

Dirty or clean flash?
    I did a dirty flash, as I came from the latest Nougat stock rom. Keep in mind that this is nothing more than the OTA applied to the previous Nougat build and packaged into a TWRP zip. So, as long as you have come from (the latest) Stock Nougat, you should be able to dirty flash, as that would be the use-case for the OTA. If you were on another rom, clean flash required.

Once you are on one of these builds, you can dirty flash subsequent builds. Again, this would be just like flashing one OTA after the other. Also note that these builds are complete in their own right, you don't need to incrementally flash - you can flash the latest to get the full install.

My device was encrypted, and I really need to decrypt it. How can I do this?
    Sorry, but the only way is to format the data partition. That means you will need to backup your data, and your internal storage as well (/sdcard). After backing up, use TWRP to format the partition. From the TWRP main menu, select Wipe > Format Data. Then follow the on-screen instructions.

Is it 32 bit or 64 bit
    32 bit. We've known this would be the case for a long time.

How can I create flashable zips myself?
    I created the guide below, and it has been updated for Oreo. A word of warning, it is not for the faint of heart. You will need to have a good understanding of the Linux command line, and be able to understand the techniques that are being taught, rather than expecting that the process is a 'step-by-step'. Adaptability is key here.
    [GUIDE] Creating TWRP Flashbale Stock roms

What are the new Aroma zips?
    The aroma zips use the Aroma installer. Some of you may have seen the Aroma installer for Open Gapps. The key here is that I, as the packager, can build in selection options into the installer. It's all available as a nice GUI for the users to pick and choose from the options I've provided. Here are the options that are available:
    • Do backups - does the backups as mentioned earlier in the FAQs.
    • Erase EFS - erases modemst1 and modemst2, as described in the first post. Also DDR is erased, but I'm not sure what purpose that has but it may as well go together with these.
    • Install Firmware - installs the following partitions - modem, fsg, dsp; each of these has something to do with hardware / connectivity.
    • Install System - Installs the following partitions - boot, system, oem.
    • Apply patches - as long as Install System is selected, will install the patched boot image with dm-verity disabled, and will edit the fstab (filesystem table) to disable forced encryption.

On soak test 2 or later, I have my IMEI but no signal. What can I do?
    In all cases where this has happened, the user's phone has relied upon an EFS backup for IMEI, due to flashing another persist. In these cases, it appears that the only way to get a signal is to use the firmware (i.e. modem, fsg, dsp - refer previous FAQ) from soak test 1. We're probably seeing here that the EFS does in fact need to be recreated to be valid. Unfortunately for these users, by not having their own persist, they are stuck with an old EFS and the newer firmwares appear to not work.

To do this

My fingerprint is not working on my custom ROM
    Refer to the thread for your custom ROM, and ask questions there. In short, Nougat and Oreo firmware are not compatible with each other. Many custom ROMs are now using Oreo firmware, whereas previously (before October 2018) pretty much all custom ROMs were using Nougat firmware. It's messy now, but please ask the questions in the right place (which is NOT this thread).

My touchscreen isn't working after flashing, even within TWRP
    This seems to happen somewhat rarely, although I don't know what the cause is. As it affects TWRP as well, and TWRP uses the 'modem' partition for getting its firmware blobs, I guess it's possible that this particular partition is getting a conflicting modification whilst flashing, which is causing problems (but this is purely speculation on my part).

To solve, fastboot flashing the stock ROM appears to work. It may also be possible whilst in TWRP to manually flash the partitions via ADB, but that takes a bit of work and knowledge. Until someone can truly work out what's happening and the minimum required to fix it, stick with fastboot.

Update - refer to post #3 for the latest information about this issue.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone