• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Oreo USB OTG issue (Nokia 8). Please Help!

Search This thread

gr8gizmoguru

Jul 30, 2010
hi,
I have a Nokia 8, updated to Oreo (8.0.0) right out of box (so no experience in Nougat) . No modifications, no root, Stock ROM.
When i connect any pendrive (sandisk, sony, kingston ) as usb otg, file managers (both stock and downloaded) dont show it. Any help?
In notification however it shows the message - "Power supply- Charge the other connected device" but none allowed MTP or any type of file transfers, even though i tap those options .
(I have ALSO tried activating "Developer option" ---> "Select USB Configuration" ----> "MTP". The option gets selected, but as soon as i connect a pendrive it reverts back to -"Charging" ) :( :confused:
Also after i had tried various Pendrives there seem to crop up a charging issue. The phone wont charge simply by connecting to the Type C charger it came alongwith. I had to restart the device and then it starts to charge !:(
USB OTG function is very important for me.
Anyone else with such prob?
Any suggestions? Any help?
I wont Root or install custom ROM for this simple USB OTG function .

Last edited:

lucahack

Oct 26, 2015
Well, 1st, check if your pendrives are working (I think at 99.99% they are all) and then check if your nokia can still physically use USB otg by installing TWRP (which you can replace by stock recovery later) and mount USB drive in recovery or plug your phone to a computer to check if it still can transfer data (if it can't, you don't need to fix).

IF EVERYTHING IS WORKING WELL AND IT IS A GLITCH
Reinstall previous android version. Tutorial to flash a firmware on Nokia 8 : http://www.n8fanclub.com/2012/10/re-install-update-flash-firmware-nokia-suite-phoenix.html

Last edited:

gr8gizmoguru

Jul 30, 2010
Well, 1st, check if your pendrives are working (I think at 99.99% they are all) and then check if your nokia can still physically use USB otg by installing TWRP (which you can replace by stock recovery later) and mount USB drive in recovery or plug your phone to a computer to check if it still can transfer data (if it can't, you don't need to fix).

IF EVERYTHING IS WORKING WELL AND IT IS A GLITCH
Reinstall previous android version. Tutorial to flash a firmware on Nokia 8 : http://www.n8fanclub.com/2012/10/re-install-update-flash-firmware-nokia-suite-phoenix.html

Well i appreciate your effort to help. but i suppose you didnt read my original post.
1. I have checked all my pendrives. All working 100%
2. I will NOT install TWRP as i said before i WONT root, flash, blah blah for this simple fucntion of USB OTG, leave alone replacing stock recovery later.
3. I can transfer data to my PC and vice versa.

Regarding tutorial to flash a firmware the link which you have given is to flash symbian NOKIA N8 (released in 2010). these is the first line from the website - "There are situations when you are required to re-install the official firmware on your Nokia Symbian Belle Smart Phones."
MINE IS NOKIA 8 (2017). ITS AN ANDROID PHONE AND NOT NOKIA N8.
I think it will not help me at all.

lucahack

Oct 26, 2015
Well i appreciate your effort to help. but i suppose you didnt read my original post.
1. I have checked all my pendrives. All working 100%
2. I will NOT install TWRP as i said before i WONT root, flash, blah blah for this simple fucntion of USB OTG, leave alone replacing stock recovery later.
3. I can transfer data to my PC and vice versa.

Regarding tutorial to flash a firmware the link which you have given is to flash symbian NOKIA N8 (released in 2010). these is the first line from the website - "There are situations when you are required to re-install the official firmware on your Nokia Symbian Belle Smart Phones."
MINE IS NOKIA 8 (2017). ITS AN ANDROID PHONE AND NOT NOKIA N8.
I think it will not help me at all.
Check this post :
https://forum.xda-developers.com/no...ia-8-official-firmware-links-updated-t3678487
Have a nice day