Question OT - spam filtering with the 6a

Search This thread

mmead1143

Dec 27, 2010
Hey folks - move this if needed :)

I did the upgrade 3a to the 6a deal and couldn't be happier.

Anecdotally I've found with the 6a, I have almost NO incoming spam from text or phone calls. On the 3a I had been running Android 12 via Lineage and/or Descendent which all seemed to have the same google spam protections.

No matter the rom, on the 3a I'd have 10-12 spam calls/text until I had them fully "blocked" over 4-5 days...then they'd really settle down and I wouldn't see them at all.

With the 6a - I'm getting 1-2 per day and after a week almost none daily.

Just putting it out there - is it just me or anyone see the same thing? If so - just asking why that might happen if both devices had the same spam software.

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
I havent had a single span call come through on this device, also coming from a 3a (XL) so maybe something has changed, maybe there are just fewer spam callers....not sure.

damian5000

Oct 25, 2011
So many people came from 3a and 3a XL. Probably because of the amazing deal. I loved 3a XL. Only issue with these 6a is just barely passable battery life, probably due to the 5 year old a-76 cores. Looking forward to 7a already, hopefully they upgrade to a-78 or better and fine tune Tensor to be significantly more efficient.

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
I get great battery life. Turn off 5g & adaptive connectivity. This is a massively more powerful chip vs the sd670 with a barely bigger battery so it's not surprising it doesn't get as good or better battery.

It also takes about a week of normal use before everything is optimized.

damian5000

Oct 25, 2011
You'll have to show me if you could. Install Gsam and show me in a couple days a screen shot. I'm getting 6 hours onscreen over 10 hours or so.

Though I'm using LTE data only. 35% brightness. If you're using mostly WiFi it will definitely be a step up from that.

The core a-76 (middle) are 50% less efficient than a-78 in equivalent Exynos and Snap.

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
I'm in the middle of kernel development which means constant flashing and testing so no data I could provide would be useful. But owning the 3a for 3 years I have a solid handle on what kind of battery life I got.

I could care less about the 2 random cores that mostly sit at idle. Comparing the barely passable SD670 to this tensor is apples and oranges.

My kernel on the 3a would get 10-12 hours SOT and I'm confident when I'm done with this kernel I'll get close to thats well.

That said, this is a very high end chip vs a very mid range one in the 3a so this will likely never reach the same battery life. The normal 3a with it's normal sized batter got like 6 hrs SOT which would be a much closer comparison.

Side note, this discussion should be taken out of this thread as this has nothing to do with the topic in the OP.

damian5000

Oct 25, 2011
Which cores are getting used the most in your experience? Just in my brief testing it does appear little used most but the impact of a-76 isn't non-existent.

All I can say is that using exclusively data, battery life is not good. 6-7 hours maximum on low screen brightness. Are you mostly on WiFi?

I'm sure a mod can split this and we can continue.

Last edited:

neo_lithic3K

May 12, 2013
San Francisco
Google Pixel 8
Which cores are getting used the most in your experience? Just in my brief testing it does appear little used most but the impact of a-76 isn't non-existent.

All I can say is that using exclusively data, battery life is not good. 6-7 hours maximum on low screen brightness. Are you mostly on WiFi?

Anecdotally I've found with the 6a, I have almost NO incoming spam from text or phone calls. On the 3a I had been running Android 12 via Lineage and/or Descendent which all seemed to have the same google spam protections.

No matter the rom, on the 3a I'd have 10-12 spam calls/text until I had them fully "blocked" over 4-5 days...then they'd really settle down and I wouldn't see them at all.

Just putting it out there - is it just me or anyone see the same thing? If so - just asking why that might happen if both devices had the same spam software.
Yeah, I can't explain it if both phones have the same spam software and we're comparing the same periods in time. If you're in the US, I think it's at least partly due to FCC forcing all phone operators to adopt stir/shaken recently. I've noticed a significant decrease.

When i was on the pixel 4xl, I'd rarely get spam calls or text. My Google phone has call screening, so it intercepts most calls. A few years ago, there was a deluge of neighborhood spoofing so i had to use an xposed module to auto block phone numbers that start with specific numbers, but i haven't had to use that module in the last year or more. I also had a period of time where i was getting spam text from outlook email addresses. I had to configure the xposed module to block those text, but issue went away in the past year or so (maybe bc cell carrier did something?)

Reactions: mmead1143

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Similar blocking coming from 4a w/A12. Interesting your experience was different. Multiple upgrades to phone app on legacy devices and/or integration w/other Google components which contribute to spam identification/blocking likely a factor.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yeah, I can't explain it if both phones have the same spam software and we're comparing the same periods in time. If you're in the US, I think it's at least partly due to FCC forcing all phone operators to adopt stir/shaken recently. I've noticed a significant decrease.

When i was on the pixel 4xl, I'd rarely get spam calls or text. My Google phone has call screening, so it intercepts most calls. A few years ago, there was a deluge of neighborhood spoofing so i had to use an xposed module to auto block phone numbers that start with specific numbers, but i haven't had to use that module in the last year or more. I also had a period of time where i was getting spam text from outlook email addresses. I had to configure the xposed module to block those text, but issue went away in the past year or so (maybe bc cell carrier did something?)