• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OTA] [10.0] [MONTHLY] CarbonROM CR8.0 PAX [OFFICIAL] [STABLE]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11373495
  • Start date
Search This thread
D

Deleted member 11373495

download.png

ABOUT:
CarbonROM is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project created with the purpose of adding versatility and customization to stock Android. Stability is our highest priority; our vision is to be the best alternative to a stock operating system for your device.

WHAT'S WORKING:
- All core features:
- Hotspot
- IR blaster
- Reading mode
- GPS (locks in 2 minutes)
- Goodix fingrprint (needs another verification)
- VoLTE
- LTE (speed reaches 50 MB/s)
- Agressive battery modes ( 3 versions - idle, standby, battery saver)
- umatched stability and INSANE battery life - second to none
- clean, lean and efficient

KNOWN ISSUES
- Nothing found
- You can report to this email address

SELinux Status Enforcing

SCREENSHOTS

01.png
06.png

CLEAN FLASH RECOMMENDED

1. Back Up Everything.
  2. Use Orangefox Recovery. Link
  3. Wipe Dalvik/ART cache, Cache, System, Data.
  4. Flash ROM
  5. Flash Gapps. (FlameGapps Recommended)
To update the ROM, you can use two methods - OTA or Dirty Flash. OTA is recommended.

DOWNLOAD:
CARBON CR8 RELEASES - MIDO

TEAM WEBPAGE: CarbonROM
TELEGRAM: CarbonROM
Support the efforts of the team: Donate

Version Information
ROM OS Version:
Android 10.0.0
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.18 - KERNEL Repository
Stable Release Date: 2021-04-20

Last edited by a moderator:

xdaluser0

Feb 26, 2016
Solid ROM. I chose it thanks to the Kill option in the Recents task switcher.
Note that unlike LineageOS, CarbonROM doesn't come with a built-in firewall since contemporary android (last year or so) lets you use rootless firewalls via vpn redirects. Personally I've rooted and used afwall regardless since I need root for adaway.
Mi Remote works fine in case you're wondering. You don't need to allow any permissions and can even firewall it after "pairing" your TVs and it will still work.

One question/caveat: How do I enable lock screen rotation?

~ Redmi Note 4X 64GB

D

Deleted member 11373495

Solid ROM. I chose it thanks to the Kill option in the Recents task switcher.
Note that unlike LineageOS, CarbonROM doesn't come with a built-in firewall since contemporary android (last year or so) lets you use rootless firewalls via vpn redirects. Personally I've rooted and used afwall regardless since I need root for adaway.
Mi Remote works fine in case you're wondering. You don't need to allow any permissions and can even firewall it after "pairing" your TVs and it will still work.

One question/caveat: How do I enable lock screen rotation?

~ Redmi Note 4X 64GB
To be honest, I do not really know if this is possible.
The lock screen normally shuts down most of the censors.
If you are sure that the accelerometer is active when the screen is locked, it has to be researched.
Otherwise, you would need TYPE_MAGNETIC_FIELD and TYPE_ACCELEROMETER to adjust the settings.
I, personally, don't think it is possible.

xdaluser0

Feb 26, 2016
If you are sure that the accelerometer is active when the screen is locked, it has to be researched.
Otherwise, you would need TYPE_MAGNETIC_FIELD and TYPE_ACCELEROMETER to adjust the settings.
Thanks for replying. I'm asking because it's fairly common in other ROMs so I assumed the setting was buried somewhere in the menus. I even looked it up over the github repos ( https://github.com/search?q=org:CarbonROM+lock+screen+rotation&type=commits ) and found multiple commits suggesting it's an existing feature: https://github.com/CarbonROM/android_frameworks_base/commit/afc54cf30f9c3adb4038dc3363cf47bbefc01564

Sensors wise, I think that's the sleep mode that cutoffs those circuits rather than the lock screen itself so once the display turns back on the sensors are back on as well. But that's just me making guesses really.

xdaluser0

Feb 26, 2016
Ok I managed to get the lockscreen rotating but it isn't easy. Basically you need to add a line to build.props using magisk's MagiskHide Props Config module. So, from the terminal after installing and rebooting you su and run props which is a menu driven terminal script. You add a new one (I think it was no.4 in the menu? follow the on-screen instructions...) called lockscreen.rot_override and give it the value true. Then let props initiate the reboot and you're done.

TL;DR lockscreen.rot_override=true in build.props

Anyhow, would have been nicer to have it as a CarbonFiber but so long as it works, I'm not complaining :) Thanks.

xdaluser0

Feb 26, 2016
Another day another odd bug / missing feature: It's likely at least two-three separate su (magisk) and missing permissions possibly related to the new Android privacy polices, but Automation / Easer / Automate / LibreTasks can't use the wifi as a trigger due to missing permissions. E.g. previously I'd use LineageOS's System Profiles to turn off mobile data when my home wifi was connected but now nothing can list the wifi networks (related permissions maybe?) or switch off mobile data (su / magisk root elevation by the service probably needs work on the app dev's side) but third party tools are all broken for various reasons.

Anyhow, It's probably not ROM related but since LineageOS circumvents the issue by providing their own, I think it's still a valid point of comparison especially for people that consider event driven automation as necessary. Personally I guess I'll just try and remember to turn it on/off.

p.s. Links of what I've tested not to work:

D

Deleted member 11373495

Another day another odd bug / missing feature: It's likely at least two-three separate su (magisk) and missing permissions possibly related to the new Android privacy polices, but Automation / Easer / Automate / LibreTasks can't use the wifi as a trigger due to missing permissions. E.g. previously I'd use LineageOS's System Profiles to turn off mobile data when my home wifi was connected but now nothing can list the wifi networks (related permissions maybe?) or switch off mobile data (su / magisk root elevation by the service probably needs work on the app dev's side) but third party tools are all broken for various reasons.

Anyhow, It's probably not ROM related but since LineageOS circumvents the issue by providing their own, I think it's still a valid point of comparison especially for people that consider event driven automation as necessary. Personally I guess I'll just try and remember to turn it on/off.

p.s. Links of what I've tested not to work:
If you want to inform the team, you can use the email address in the description.

As to automation, normally when you have both LTE and Wi-Fi connected, the connection is set to sign in to the closest cell, irreleveant of the technology used. The distance marks ping times, strength of signal, velocity but even when it connects, you still have the both sensors active (which drains battery). Currently, I don't think there is a way to automatically shut down one of them, or both of them, if this is what you mean.
In terms of selection of the network, it has always worked. In terms of dozing the sensors after a certain time of inactivity, I cannot help you.

Hopefully, this is useful.

xdaluser0

Feb 26, 2016
If you want to inform the team, you can use the email address in the description.
Nah it looks like the automation stuff is being shifted into the assistant APIs and SDKs and most projects and foss just hasn't caught up with the changing permissions and such: https://www.xda-developers.com/android-10-rules-automation-feature-rolls-out-some-pixel-devices/

Currently, I don't think there is a way to automatically shut down one of them, or both of them, if this is what you mean.

I guess google wants their machine learning to do this automatically for users instead of the users having to go into the settings and script logic.

Anyhow, I'm sure things will sort themselves out with time so no worries.

Offtopic, for some reason Axet's Call Recorder didn't work for me even after giving it root so I had to use the magisk module that installs it as a system app. It's sorta weird since android.permission.CAPTURE_AUDIO_OUTPUT should have been granted as I checked "System Mixer Incall Recording" and approved it for superuser but it didn't. I even thought something went wrong with magisk itself but adaway and afwall test fine so...
Anyhow, thought it's worth mentioning since I keep running into similar premission related issues and some of them are common enough that people already have apps to solve/circumvent them.

TigTex

Nov 28, 2012
Lisbon
Hello!
I've switched to this ROM because android 11 and kernel 4.9 was not stable for me, with all kind of slowness and issues.
I'm glad to see an up-to-date android 10 rom. The performance is just insane compared with the other rom's i've tested.

But I do experience a bug with wireless. When my phone is connected to a 2.4ghz wifi AP, the performance is really low, below 4mbps with high jitter, even with the signal at 100%. If I connect to the 5ghz band, the performance is perfect, above 115mbps.
How can I help you with troubleshooting this? Unfortunately this is a massive problem for me. Changing wifi channels and 20 or 40mhz bandwidth makes no difference at all.

Reactions: ushilives
D

Deleted member 11373495

Hello!
I've switched to this ROM because android 11 and kernel 4.9 was not stable for me, with all kind of slowness and issues.
I'm glad to see an up-to-date android 10 rom. The performance is just insane compared with the other rom's i've tested.

But I do experience a bug with wireless. When my phone is connected to a 2.4ghz wifi AP, the performance is really low, below 4mbps with high jitter, even with the signal at 100%. If I connect to the 5ghz band, the performance is perfect, above 115mbps.
How can I help you with troubleshooting this? Unfortunately this is a massive problem for me. Changing wifi channels and 20 or 40mhz bandwidth makes no difference at all.
Hi!

First, I have none of your issues and have no information on anyone else experiencing it.

If you connect to 2,4 Ghz, the range is longer and wider, which means the strength and velocity is somewhat disturbed by the distance from the router or the AP, but ensures longer distance. Drops are fewer than in the 5 GHz.
If you use 5 Ghz, it is much more stable but the distance is shorter and the channel is narrow, which leads to easy disturbance of the connection.

If you use the Hotspot for someone close to you (not far than 5-7 metres) use the 5 GHz.
Changing the bandwidth of the channel might improve something but rather not.

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate.

TigTex

Nov 28, 2012
Lisbon
Thank you for your answer but unfortunately I do experience this problem with this ROM and not with others
I'm aware how wifi networks works but where I'm mostly using my device, I don't have 5ghz available.
I need proper 2.4ghz stability because I use ms teams on my device for home office.

This problem is not present with other android 10 roms with kernel 3.18 like lineage os.
Let me know if you need logcats or anything

tororo7

Mar 4, 2018
pati
View attachment 5265955

ABOUT:
CarbonROM is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project created with the purpose of adding versatility and customization to stock Android. Stability is our highest priority; our vision is to be the best alternative to a stock operating system for your device.

WHAT'S WORKING:
- All core features:
- Hotspot
- IR blaster
- Reading mode
- VoLTE

KNOWN ISSUES
- Nothing found

SELinux Status Enforcing

SCREENSHOTS

View attachment 5265947View attachment 5265953

CLEAN FLASH RECOMMENDED

1. Back Up Everything.
  2. Use Organefox Recovery. Link
  4. Flash ROM
  5. Flash Gapps. (NikGapps Basic Recommended)
To update the ROM, you can use two methods - OTA or Dirty Flash. OTA is recommended.

DOWNLOAD:

Version Information
ROM OS Version:
Android 10.0.0
This looks like a good rom. I will test it on my device. 🤗

D

Deleted member 11373495

o Thank you for your answer but unfortunately I do experience this problem with this ROM and not with others
I'm aware how wifi networks works but where I'm mostly using my device, I don't have 5ghz available.
I need proper 2.4ghz stability because I use ms teams on my device for home office.

This problem is not present with other android 10 roms with kernel 3.18 like lineage os.
Let me know if you need logcats or anything
Ok, send them to me. I will take a look when I have some time to do so.
No promises.

TigTex

Nov 28, 2012
Lisbon
I found the problem :) it's bluetooth.
I have a mi band that is always connected to my device. Just by having bluetooth enabled, I can't have more than 4mbps. Disabling it, I can use wifi happily at 70mbps.
Is there a bluetooth coexistence mode that can be tweaked?

TigTex

Nov 28, 2012
Lisbon
I'm aware of it. But like I said, this was a non-issue with miui and LOS17.1.
Perhaps there's a tweak on WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini that can be done? Or maybe los17.1 uses different blobs? You could try to push zeelogs 17.1 kernel to cr-8.0.
These are just ideas, not complaints

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11373495

I'm aware of it. But like I said, this was a non-issue with miui and LOS17.1.
Perhaps there's a tweak on WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini that can be done? Or maybe los17.1 uses different blobs? You could try to push zeelogs 17.1 kernel to cr-8.0.
These are just ideas, not complaints
Good suggestions!
you can send them to the email address in the description

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 11373495
    download.png

ABOUT:

WHAT'S WORKING:
    - All core features:
    - Hotspot
    - IR blaster
    - Reading mode
    - VoLTE

KNOWN ISSUES
    - Nothing found

SELinux Status Enforcing

SCREENSHOTS

01.png
    06.png

CLEAN FLASH RECOMMENDED

1. Back Up Everything.
    2. Use Orangefox Recovery. Link
    4. Flash ROM
    5. Flash Gapps. (FlameGapps Recommended)

DOWNLOAD:

Version Information
    ROM OS Version:
    Android 10.0.0
    Finally published on XDA, a very good ROM, I use it on a daily basis,screen 9+ hours, the speed is at the level of PE 9 CAF, who needs lightweight ROM, with the latest security patches, and without bugs, I can recommend Carbon
    Thanks for replying. I'm asking because it's fairly common in other ROMs so I assumed the setting was buried somewhere in the menus. I even looked it up over the github repos ( https://github.com/search?q=org:CarbonROM+lock+screen+rotation&type=commits ) and found multiple commits suggesting it's an existing feature: https://github.com/CarbonROM/android_frameworks_base/commit/afc54cf30f9c3adb4038dc3363cf47bbefc01564

Sensors wise, I think that's the sleep mode that cutoffs those circuits rather than the lock screen itself so once the display turns back on the sensors are back on as well. But that's just me making guesses really.
    Ok I managed to get the lockscreen rotating but it isn't easy. Basically you need to add a line to build.props using magisk's MagiskHide Props Config module. So, from the terminal after installing and rebooting you su and run props which is a menu driven terminal script. You add a new one (I think it was no.4 in the menu? follow the on-screen instructions...) called lockscreen.rot_override and give it the value true. Then let props initiate the reboot and you're done.

TL;DR lockscreen.rot_override=true in build.props

Anyhow, would have been nicer to have it as a CarbonFiber but so long as it works, I'm not complaining :) Thanks.
    Nah it looks like the automation stuff is being shifted into the assistant APIs and SDKs and most projects and foss just hasn't caught up with the changing permissions and such: https://www.xda-developers.com/android-10-rules-automation-feature-rolls-out-some-pixel-devices/

Currently, I don't think there is a way to automatically shut down one of them, or both of them, if this is what you mean.

I guess google wants their machine learning to do this automatically for users instead of the users having to go into the settings and script logic.

Anyhow, I'm sure things will sort themselves out with time so no worries.

Offtopic, for some reason Axet's Call Recorder didn't work for me even after giving it root so I had to use the magisk module that installs it as a system app. It's sorta weird since android.permission.CAPTURE_AUDIO_OUTPUT should have been granted as I checked "System Mixer Incall Recording" and approved it for superuser but it didn't. I even thought something went wrong with magisk itself but adaway and afwall test fine so...
    Anyhow, thought it's worth mentioning since I keep running into similar premission related issues and some of them are common enough that people already have apps to solve/circumvent them.