OTA after unlock, recovery, root

Search This thread

pratikp16

Oct 28, 2010
HI, do the OTA updates still work after unlocking bootloader, installing TWRP and rooting?

I've ordered one and was thinking about doing the about doing the above right out of the box.

Reactions: pooniaprashant

chandradeepdey01

Mar 16, 2017
Kolkata
HI, do the OTA updates still work after unlocking bootloader, installing TWRP and rooting?

I've ordered one and was thinking about doing the about doing the above right out of the box.

OTA AFTER
Unlocking bootloader - Yes
Installing TWRP - probably yes, but it might replace TWRP with default recovery during update
Rooting - idk

edwardenglish

Nov 13, 2012
Hey guys
I would like to bring this topic up again because I want to be super sure.

I unlocked BL, installed twrp and rooted with supersu, stable Rom.

Now I got ota update notice. Is it save to update or will it brick?

BubuXP

Oct 6, 2013
Sicily East Coast
t.me
No, you probably will end with an unbootable device or defective operating system (but it could work too, it's unpredictable without trying).
You will end flashing a fastboot image via MiFlash, so better not OTA updating and flashing directly a full ROM image when you're ready to update.

If you want to try the OTA update, backup your data before because it could become inaccessible after.

edwardenglish

Nov 13, 2012
No, you probably will end with an unbootable device or defective operating system (but it could work too, it's unpredictable without trying).
You will end flashing a fastboot image via MiFlash, so better not OTA updating and flashing directly a full ROM image when you're ready to update.

If you want to try the OTA update, backup your data before because it could become inaccessible after.

OK, will loose settings and App data when flashing the (updated) full stock image?

edwardenglish

Nov 13, 2012
If I remember well, there should be an option to retain settings and apps data (it depends on what .bat file you choose to flash), but I advise against preserving this data, as it will probably cause many problems afterward.

Yes that's what I thought so too.
So to sum it up correctly with unlocked BL and root one should only update via flashing whole image and do a clean flash loosing all data and settings.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.