• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

OTA and Non-OTA Firmware for N986U and N986U1

Search This thread

kwhite.tn

Feb 10, 2011
I have a VZW Note 20 Ultra (SM-N986U) unlocked for use on ATT. I have used a few different roms but nothing works using methods described. Suggestions.

I have read they most of the posts and haven’t seen a solution.

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
I have a VZW Note 20 Ultra (SM-N986U) unlocked for use on ATT. I have used a few different roms but nothing works using methods described. Suggestions.

I have read they most of the posts and haven’t seen a solution.

You could use DUH1 in post 2 that's the last AT&T firmware I was able to get. You could flash it and it should OTA to the latest

Reactions: kwhite.tn

kwhite.tn

Feb 10, 2011
Using Odin, the install passed. The phone restarted and flashed the Samsung screen three times. My weak eyes and small red font kept from reading the error message. I was told to retry, which I did twice. Or do a factory reset. I don’t remember the third option. I retried twice with The boot loader failing both times.

doing a factory reset, did just that.

Reactions: kangi26

kwhite.tn

Feb 10, 2011

kwhite.tn

Feb 10, 2011
I'm a bit confuse. Where you able to make it work?
No, it didn’t work. I used the DUH1 (hoping that isn’t a pun) and the updated Odin.

Odin gave a green “pass” and the phone restarted. It restarted several times to the “Samsung” screen and that’s all. I would then get an error message that I couldn’t read and it gave three options; try again, factory reset and I could not read the third option.

after the second ”try again” I elected to do the factory reset. The rom is stock VZW

Last edited:

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
No, it didn’t work. I used the DUH1 (hoping that isn’t a pun) and the updated Odin.

Odin gave a green “pass” and the phone restarted. It restarted several times to the “Samsung” screen and that’s all. I would then get an error message that I couldn’t read and it gave three options; try again, factory reset and I could not read the third option.

after the second ”try again” I elected to do the factory reset. The rom is stock VZW

Are you able to boot into the device? If so what is the current firmware revision?

kwhite.tn

Feb 10, 2011
It wouldn't boot until I did a factory reset.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211023-114309_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20211023-114309_Settings.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 27

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
I feel stupid. The baseband is DUH1. It did work but not with the desired effect. It still has the VZW software

Oh NO worries at all. no need to feel even a little dum.

So as far as the flash itself did you flash:
BL
AP
CP
CSC (NOT the HOME_CSC)

(Oh and IMO doing a factory reset prior to flashing is not a bad idea either)

As a side note there really isn't "VZW" software any longer. All of these firmware can be installed on and of the N986U or U1 devices regardless of carrier

kwhite.tn

Feb 10, 2011
Oh NO worries at all. no need to feel even a little dum.

So as far as the flash itself did you flash:
BL
AP
CP
CSC (NOT the HOME_CSC)

(Oh and IMO doing a factory reset prior to flashing is not a bad idea either)

As a side note there really isn't "VZW" software any longer. All of these firmware can be installed on and of the N986U or U1 devices regardless of carrier
I did the Home_CSC. I will try it.

kwhite.tn

Feb 10, 2011
I would do a couple Factory resets before flashing and make sure that you have your AT&T SIM installed too
Here's the status update... I have another successful "Pass" on Odin. Everything seems to be okay. When it booted up, I get a Samsung Note 20 page followed the VZW boot flash. That is what I want to get rid of, plus all the VZW apps that come with the VZW phone. I am unable to uninstall the VZW apps because they are required by the os. When I reboot to the download screen, the carrier is VZW. (I'll tag a photo tomorrow)

Oh, the ATT sim has been installed.

Top Liked Posts

With this new Beta 3 update, does anyone know if AT&T Advanced Messaging works? Me and my wife use it. We used to use Google RCS but are now on postpaid plans. Google RCS was draining our batteries like crazy so we switched texting apps when we went to postpaid. I REALLY want to be on this Beta, but with RCS draining my battery because you have to turn off battery optimization, I'm forced to stay on stock because I have to have AT&T Advanced Messaging. Does anyone know if or how to get this working?
    No Firmware Unlocked U1 doesn't have Advanced messaging on AT&T, Google Message does have it.
    This is great but at this time I don't see any reason for anyone with a Note 20 Ultra to be flashing OneUI 4.0 Beta considering all N20Us should have the OTA stable version of Android 12 by the end of this month. If Samsung is to be believed regarding their rollout dates for each device then we should get it this month, and personally I'm going with what Samsung is saying considering my mom's Verizon S21 got OneUI 4.0 last month which is exactly when Samsung said S21s would receive it.
    Well sir, that's the joy of flashing 😉. It doesn't matter if it's dropping next week, there are those of us who that flash it just because we can
    @kangi26 still unable to add card on Google pay but it seems it should be working, I just updated so will have to check again.
    Esim is here for unlocked ones now.

Please feel free to download Beta 2 from this OTA link and add the firmware to this thread.
    Flashed both betas through ABD and both wiped the device, if it doesn't register me into samsung members to receive coming OTAs I might revert to Android 11, can't be wiping every update :(

I've found Beta 2 to be very solid, I haven't experienced any issues so far and may stay on this one until the OTA drops (Who am I kidding, I'll flash any new beta that comes if it stays BL2)
    hopefully when a new beta gets released, someone will be able to post it for download. Everything seems to be working good, but im having issues with (of all apps) XDA app. i can sign in, but then the next time i click on it to open, it crashes. i have to clear all cache and data ,relaunch and sign in everytime. Also just noticed my NFC isnt working.
    I would uninstall latest XDA and go back one version this one
    Any noticeable changes in beta 3? Is there any way to flash it without wiping?
    Remove sim
    Use keypad code method to change the csc to xaa/xaa/xaa or if you bought the phone from carrier then csc should be xaa /xaa/att the first two should be xaa.
    Flash the OTA using Adb method.
    Switch phone on, let it boot and finish update.
    Switch phone off, INSERT SIM.
    Done

@rskyline i updated the first post on my other thread with steps. Check that.
    N986U - Carrier Versions

BOOTLOADER 2

N986USQS2DUJA ATT/CCT/CHA/SPR/TMB/VZW
    N986USQU2DUJ6 ATT/CCT/CHA/SPR/TMB/USC/VZW
    N986USQS2DUIC TMB
    N986USQS2DUIB CCT/CHA/VZW
    N986USQS2DUI4 VZW
    N986USQS2DUH4 TMB/SPR
    N986USQS2DUH3 /USC/CHA/CCT
    N986USQU2DUH2 TMB/SPR
    N986USQU2DUH1 ATT/USC/CCT/VZW/CHA
    N986USQU2DUF2 ATT/CHA
    N986USQS2DUE4 SPR/TMB
    N986USQS2DUE2 VZW/CCT/CHA Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQS2DUE1 ATT/VZW/TMB/SPR. Thanks for the mirror @Venom0642 Mirror
    N986USQU2DUDC ATT/USC/CCT
    N986USQU2DUC8 TMB
    N986USQU2DUCA CCT/USC/CHA
    N986USQU2DUC5 VZW
    N986USQS2DUC1 CCT
    N986USQS2DUBB AT&T/USC MIRROR thanks @Venom0642

BOOTLOADER 1
    N986USQU1DUB7 VZW Thanks to @drewiskee for grabbing this N986USQSU2DUBB
    N986USQU1DUB5 ATT/SPR/TMB/CCT/CHA Thanks for the link @Venom0642
    N986USQS1CTLC VZW/CHA/USC January Patch
    N986USQS1CTLB TMB/ATT/SPR. MIRROR Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1CTLA VZW Second December Patch Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1CTL4 VZW Android 11 MIRROR Thanks for the link @denson9874
    N986USQU1CTL2 ATT/TMB/SPR/CCT Android 11. Thanks @dottat. MIRROR thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1BTJ3 VZW/USC

Odin3_v3.13.3b: HERE
    See Post #2 and #3 for the Links to the Firmware
    ALL of the firmware posted here can be flashed on any N986U/N986U1 Device. The firmware is NOT carrier dependent and is only listed next to some of them in order to have an idea if you might get OTA when you flash it

Understanding Firmware naming:

N986USQU1ATGM
    N=Note
    986U or F etc, the model of device
    SQ, FX etc = CPU and model specific
    U,S,E = Update, Security, Engineering, respectively
    1,2,3,4,5 etc = bootloader revision (This is important! You cannot go to a previous revision)
    A,B,C,D = Android version
    T, U = Year (T=2020, U=2021 etc)
    A,B,C etc = month (January A - December L)
    1 - 9 and then A - Z =build compilation. This basically means how many builds there are in a month. They start at 1 and go to Z
    So N986USQU1ATGM would be
    N968-U-SQ-U-1-A-T-G-M
    N968U (Note 20 Ultra Carrier version), SQ (Snapdragon), U (Update), 1 (Bootloader version), A (Build 10), T (2020), G (July), M (22nd build)

How to enter Download Mode:
    Turn off the device.
    Connect USB cable to your PC (Leave it disconnected from the phone)
    Press and hold down the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons. While they are still pressed, plug in the USB cable into your phone.
    The phone will go into download mode press volume up. In Odin you will see that phone is added.

Dirty Flash:
    I would only do this if you are having to manually update to the newer firmware and would not do it if you are coming/going to U/U1 or from beta firmware or if you are on an old firmware. I'd also highly recommend doing a back up prior to the doing this
    Load these into Odin
    BL
    AP
    CP
    HOME_CSC
    Do NOT flash CSC or USERDATA, either of these WILL wipe your device
    This is a "dirty flash" and these can sometimes cause issues. Keep in mind if things start going sideways and stuff starts not working right, your first step to a solution will be to wipe the device.

Tips on flashing U1 Firmware:
    You will have to wipe, can NOT dirty Flash going between U and U1 firmware
    Use the patched ODIN linked in post #2 or #3, Odin3_v3.13.3b (They are exactly the same)
    Have an active US Carrier SIM installed to get carrier features

If you get your CSC Stuck on XAA/XAA/(Insert your carrier here), and can not get Carrier options back.
    Go to the tutorial that @borijess put together HERE

N986U1 - Unlocked Versions

BOOTLOADER 2

N986U1UES2DUJ7
    N986U1UES2DUI7
    N986U1UES2DUH3
    N986U1UEU2DUH1
    N986U1UES2DUG1
    N986U1UE2DUF2
    N986U1UES2DUE1
    N986U1UEU2DUDD
    N986U1UES2DUD5
    N986U1UEU2DUCB For those with old eyes like mine, that is DUCB (Letter B, not an Eight)
    N986U1UES2DUC8
    N986U1UES2DUC1

BOOTLOADER 1

N986U1UEU1DUB5
    N986U1UES1CUA1
    N986U1UEU1CTLB
    N986U1UES1CTL7
    N986U1UEU1CTL4

Odin3_v3.13.3b: HERE

Android 12 BETA For U1 ONLY
    BETA 1 BL2
    N986U1UE2ZUK7 ***IMPORTANT*** You need to be on U1 firmware N986U1UES2DUJ7 to flash the Beta 1 file.
    BETA 2 BL2
    N986U1UE2ZUKA ***IMPORTANT*** You need to be on Beta 1 to flash the Beta 2 file.
    BETA 3 BL2
    N986U1UE2ZUL1 ***IMPORTANT*** You need to be on Beta 2 to flash the Beta 3 file.

This CAN NOT be flashed in Odin and it will wipe your device.
    • To install, extract the downloaded files. In each folder there will be a file named "Update.zip" and "Update2.zip". Do NOT extract these files, leave them zipped.
    • Copy both the "Update.zip" and "Update2.zip" files to the main root of your Ext SD card, they MUST go there (They cannot go to the devices internal memory)
    • Power the device off and boot into Recovery.
    • Navigate to "Apply update from SD card" and select "Update.zip".
    • Navigate to the "Update.zip" file and select it.
    • The system will take 10-15 min to update then will reboot and bring you to the set up. Don't set up the device, just power off.
    • Boot into Recovery.
    • Navigate to "Apply update from SD card" and select "Update2.zip".
    • This will install the Beta 2.
    • Navigate to "Apply update from SD card" and select "Update3.zip".
    • This will install the Beta 3.
    • If you're coming from Beta 1 to Beta 2 all you need to flash in recovery is Update2 and Update3
    • If you're coming from Beta 2 to Beta 3 all you need to flash is Update3
    If you do not have a Ext SD card you can use the instructions to load via ADB from @warriorvibhu HERE

Things to know:
    • Gpay seems to be having problems, Samsung Pay seems ok (MIGHT be fixed with Beta 2)
    • eSIM option is available on Beta 2, not on Beta 1
    • It does seem to register you in the Beta Program in Samsung Members, so you'll receive updates
    • Both Beta 1, 2 and 3 are BL 2, so reverting back shouldn't be a problem at this time. If the Beta program moves to a firmware that is BL 3 you will be stuck on it until the Carrier/Unlocked versions move to it. You have been warned :)
    • If you want to go back to stock Carrier/U1 you will need to wipe the device. This will also include when 12 is officially released to this device too.
    • Again, these are Beta firmware, there will be issues with them here and there so if you rely on your device to be 100% reliable don't flash them. and of course, if you decide to flash, you do it at your own risk :)
    Big Update AT&T Note20 Ultra live .
    Uploading U1 CTL4 now. I'll have a OP link shortly

Edit***
    Took all the time to upload it, and it failed at the last min.......:mad:
    Uploading....... AGAIN