OTA and Non-OTA Firmware for N986U and N986U1

Search This thread

mm60

Nov 27, 2011
I had this same issue and it drove me nuts. What I ended up doing is re-flashing the unlocked (U1) firmware it came with originally, which I got on Frija, and booted up the phone with my active T-Mobile SIM. I went through the initial setup, and at one point the phone told me it needed to apply carrier settings and reboot. I let it reboot and then powered it back down. Then I flashed the U firmware again with the T-Mobile userdata and everything and that did the trick. I got the splash screen, their custom network indicators and all that stuff. Also, I used the Modified/patched ODIN linked on the first page of this thread, Odin3_v3.13.3b. Hope this helps.

Wow! You are da man. I tried this to get my phone to the Verizon version and it worked like a charm. Steps in case anyone are interested (credit to the OP for a pure copy job!):

1. In case you have data you want to preserve, backup your phone using Samsung Smart Switch to a PC.

2. Flash / re-flash the unlocked (U1) firmware it came with originally, which I got on Frija. Make sure you use the Modified/patched ODIN linked on the first page of this thread, Odin3_v3.13.3b. Once the upload was over, I booted up the phone with my active Verizon SIM.

3. I went through the initial setup and at one point it asked me to connect to my wi-fi. At the time I was entering my password, I got a pop-up saying that the phone needed to apply carrier settings and reboot. I agreed and let it reboot. While in the reboot, I got an image of an android that I had not seen in my earlier flash attempts. This image displayed for a few seconds but that was probably the time it applied the new carrier settings.

4. Once the phone rebooted, I went through a partial setup until I could get to the settings menu. Confirmed that the Service Provider under Software Version in Settings was VZW/VZW/XAA (in my earlier attempts it was XAA/XAA/XAA). When the phone started installing google software, I powered it back down.

5. Then I flashed the U firmware again with the Verizon userdata and that did the trick. I got the Verizon splash screen, their custom network indicators and all that stuff.

6. Am in the process of restoring my data using Smart Switch.

Thanks again to the OP for the helpful instructions. This is my feeble attempt to "pass it on".

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
Wow! You are da man. I tried this to get my phone to the Verizon version and it worked like a charm. Steps in case anyone are interested (credit to the OP for a pure copy job!):

1. In case you have data you want to preserve, backup your phone using Samsung Smart Switch to a PC.

2. Flash / re-flash the unlocked (U1) firmware it came with originally, which I got on Frija. Make sure you use the Modified/patched ODIN linked on the first page of this thread, Odin3_v3.13.3b. Once the upload was over, I booted up the phone with my active Verizon SIM.

3. I went through the initial setup and at one point it asked me to connect to my wi-fi. At the time I was entering my password, I got a pop-up saying that the phone needed to apply carrier settings and reboot. I agreed and let it reboot. While in the reboot, I got an image of an android that I had not seen in my earlier flash attempts. This image displayed for a few seconds but that was probably the time it applied the new carrier settings.

4. Once the phone rebooted, I went through a partial setup until I could get to the settings menu. Confirmed that the Service Provider under Software Version in Settings was VZW/VZW/XAA (in my earlier attempts it was XAA/XAA/XAA). When the phone started installing google software, I powered it back down.

5. Then I flashed the U firmware again with the Verizon userdata and that did the trick. I got the Verizon splash screen, their custom network indicators and all that stuff.

Thanks again to the OP for the helpful instructions. This is my feeble attempt to "pass it on".

I'll mod this a little and add it to the OP. Thanks for the write up

Antny6

Apr 12, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio

I was missing my HTC rooting days, so I figured I'd take a look at the forums on a prayer the snapdragon version of this might somehow have an unlockable bootloader, perhaps even be rootable. AFAI can tell, that's still a no...but I came across this thread.

This is the first carrier unlocked Samsung I've bought. I too use Verizon. Beyond the vzw splash and indicators (admittedly much better looking), what benefits are there to tricking the phone into thinking it's the carrier version? I get wifi calling, Advanced calling (can talk, access web over mobile) and hotspot. Is it just bc of slow updates??

mm60

Nov 27, 2011
I was missing my HTC rooting days, so I figured I'd take a look at the forums on a prayer the snapdragon version of this might somehow have an unlockable bootloader, perhaps even be rootable. AFAI can tell, that's still a no...but I came across this thread.

This is the first carrier unlocked Samsung I've bought. I too use Verizon. Beyond the vzw splash and indicators (admittedly much better looking), what benefits are there to tricking the phone into thinking it's the carrier version? I get wifi calling, Advanced calling (can talk, access web over mobile) and hotspot. Is it just bc of slow updates??

I messed up my original setup by not booting with the original UXX firmware, with the SIM card installed. My phone was working but it did not have the Advanced Calling Option under the Settings menu. When I reloaded the UXX firmware and did the setup, I was able to get all options. Switching to the Verizon firmware, with the Verizon Apps, probably did not provide any extra benefit. In fact, it messed up in a couple of ways. After the first installs using the UXX firmware, I was able to automatically restore my call log and text messages using a previously made Samsung Smartswitch backup. All the apps from my earlier device loaded automatically as well. With this latest install of the Verizon software, the SmartSwitch recovery seems to not have recovered anything for some reason. Luckily, I had a backup of my texts, call logs and photos else where. Not sure if it was some mistake I made, or something else, but that was the biggest bummer. Will try the restore again to see if I can get those. If anyone with more experience has any knowledge of pros vs cons of the carrier software, would love to hear it.

Reactions: Antny6

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
Could someone tell me where the VZW userdata file can be found? I’ve looked with Frija, but have no joy.

Both the Verizon and AT&T USERDATA files are very hard to get, BUT.... You don't actually "need" them. When flashing all you need is a registered SIM card on the specific Carrier and it will install the features that are specific to that carrier

Edit.... You wont find either AT&T or VZW in Frija

Last edited:

rmoniz

Apr 13, 2006
That’s what I thought. User mm60 mentions the userdata file in step 5 above, so I thought they were available. The instructions on the first page mention flashing the desired userdata file too.

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle

Yeah, unfortunately the days of EVERYONE having unlocked bootloaders are pretty much in the rear view mirror.

IMO if you get an Unlocked device and install a Carrier firmware, you might as well just get a carrier device(?) UNLESS you really have the plan to switch carriers in the near future

Reactions: Antny6

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
That’s what I thought. User mm60 mentions the userdata file in step 5 above, so I thought they were available. The instructions on the first page mention flashing the desired userdata file too.

I just added this to the OP: "The USERDATA file is Carrier agnostic. The carrier features/apps will be installed based on the active carrier SIM that's installed when it's flashed"

Hope that clears up any confusion. Thanks for pointing it out

rmoniz

Apr 13, 2006
It does. The U1 unlocked from Frija doesn’t have a userdata file, but the carrier ones in post #2 have it. I blame the smoke (Norther CA wildfires) for my confusion.

burrzoo

Aug 10, 2007
I have a Samsung Unlocked version now with ATT functionality. Phone shows ATT/ATT/XAA. Now I want to go back to Unlocked Stock ROM so I removed the ATT SIM card & tried flashing the SM-N986U1 (used CSC not HoMe_CSC) and upon boot up I don't get ATT boot logo but still show ATT/ATT/XAA .
How can I get back to XAA/XAA/XAA?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

naim1234

Oct 3, 2013

I am confused , why do we have to flash in the beginning if the FW is already the Unlocked US version? How do I do it when i take the phone out of the box? do I have to activate it first

hpnerd524

Jul 26, 2010
I am confused , why do we have to flash in the beginning if the FW is already the Unlocked US version? How do I do it when i take the phone out of the box? do I have to activate it first

To clarify, these instructions apply to flashing an unlocked model with the U1 firmware to a carrier version of the firmware (U) and get the boot animations/network icons and other customizations built into the carrier's software. If you want to do this, the first thing you have to do out of the box is put in your active SIM, turn on the phone, and go through setup until it prompts you to reboot because carrier settings have been downloaded and need to be applied. Once this happens and the phone reboots, you can then flash the carrier firmware (U) over. If you decide to just flash it immediately without booting up with an active SIM first, you will not get all the customizations that come with your carrier's firmware version. These instructions were written because some people (myself included) were having an issue when we opened the box and just immediately flashed the firmware instead of going through initial setup and allowing the carrier settings process to occur in the U1 firmware that came with the phone.

Last edited:

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 10, 2011
york, pa
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
For those still struggling it's like this.

I got my unlocked phone. Powered on with my TMobile SIM. It said it was rebooting to apply carrier settings. I let it do that. Then powered off. Held vol up and down while connecting to PC with Odin loaded and ready. Entered download mode and flashed full carrier u firmware. When it completed and rebooted it had TMobile splash and all features. This method would apply for other carriers as well and doesn't take very long.

Reactions: kangi26

j0nkatz

Mar 18, 2006
Springville
OMFG! It was the damn cable that came with the Note.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

<ID:0/003> __XmitData_Write
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Maybe I spoke too soon.

<ID:0/003> boot.img
<ID:0/003> recovery.img
<ID:0/003> super.img
<ID:0/003> Removed!!
<ID:0/003> Added!!

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Nope, it was the cable.
Flashed succesfully! Y'all ignore me. :)

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Maybe I spoke too soon.

<ID:0/003> boot.img
<ID:0/003> recovery.img
<ID:0/003> super.img
<ID:0/003> Removed!!
<ID:0/003> Added!!

Geekser

May 18, 2017
Milwaukee
ShimmeringGlass.com
I own an ATT Galaxy Note 20 Ultra - Today, I flashed firmware for N986U1 (BL, AP, CP only) and included the CSC from N986U) Flashed those four files in Patched Odin and on reboot, none of the ATT Bloat and yet I still had Video Calling and Wifi Calling.
Everything is working very well. (I had also done this on my old S20 Ultra and it worked fine, just wanted to let anyone using the new Note that it also works great on the Note.

One quick comment about Cables - I noticed that my USB C to USBC Cable did not work when I tried flashing today - failed in Odin - I changed cables to an older Samsung USB C to USB A cable and Odin worked fine. Not sure why - but I will keep my older USB Cable handy to avoid issues in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: kangi26

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just flashed the latest U1 build to my ATT U, and it flashed correctly, I got the unlocked version features like the integrated spam call blocker. Now in settings it still shows ATT/ATT/ATT, did I make something wrong? I wanted to get the full unlocked experience and just use the att network. Also I'm seeing that my 5G icon is the ATT branded one.. So I'm kinda confused. Flashed the csc partition and not the home csc.
    Not sure if someone already answered this and sorry to all my amazing friends here that i am not able to be online as often. Hope you all are doing well.

So your ATT/ATT/ATT lets represent it as 1/2/3 - Now /3 is something you can not change - so if you bought from ATT it will be 1/2/ATT if from T-mob it will be 1/2/TMB - So that always remains same.
    for 1/2 it depends on the sim card you insert, it seems you are using ATT sim. I have unlocked version so my /3=/XAA , as stated above it remains same regardless of sim i insert, and i am using TMB so my 1/2 = TMB/TMB if i was using ATT it would look like ATT/ATT/XAA. Hope this answers your question.
    Please take a look at the OP, it'll answer that for you :)
    embarrassing! Not at the top easily available to everyone. Sorry for not reading. The best place to hide things from me is right in front of my face.
    Ok, so I did get really bored and flashed U1. To be 100% honest if you put the device in front of me with Carrier/Unlocked firmware, I couldn't tell the difference. Aside from the bootscreen animations and actually looking in the actual firmware revision I genuinely can't tell ANY difference.
    DUBB, March Security patch 254mb. It's also bootloader 2, so if you update to it there is no going back to any of the previous firmware (Incl the U1 bl1 firmware)
    See Post #2 and #3 for the Links to the Firmware
    ALL of the firmware posted here can be flashed on any N986U/N986U1 Device. The firmware is NOT carrier dependent and is only listed next to some of them in order to have an idea if you might get OTA when you flash it

Understanding Firmware naming:

N986USQU1ATGM
    N=Note
    986U or F etc, the model of device
    SQ, FX etc = CPU and model specific
    U,S,E = Update, Security, Engineering, respectively
    1,2,3,4,5 etc = bootloader revision (This is important! You cannot go to a previous revision)
    A,B,C,D = Android version
    T, U = Year (T=2020, U=2021 etc)
    A,B,C etc = month (January A - December L)
    1 - 9 and then A - Z =build compilation. This basically means how many builds there are in a month. They start at 1 and go to Z
    So N986USQU1ATGM would be
    N968-U-SQ-U-1-A-T-G-M
    N968U (Note 20 Ultra Carrier version), SQ (Snapdragon), U (Update), 1 (Bootloader version), A (Build 10), T (2020), G (July), M (22nd build)

How to enter Download Mode:
    Turn off the device.
    Connect USB cable to your PC (Leave it disconnected from the phone)
    Press and hold down the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons. While they are still pressed, plug in the USB cable into your phone.
    The phone will go into download mode press volume up. In Odin you will see that phone is added.

Dirty Flash:
    I would only do this if you are having to manually update to the newer firmware and would not do it if you are coming/going to U/U1 or from beta firmware or if you are on an old firmware. I'd also highly recommend doing a back up prior to the doing this
    Load these into Odin
    BL
    AP
    CP
    HOME_CSC
    Do NOT flash CSC or USERDATA, either of these WILL wipe your device
    This is a "dirty flash" and these can sometimes cause issues. Keep in mind if things start going sideways and stuff starts not working right, your first step to a solution will be to wipe the device.

Tips on flashing U1 Firmware:
    Thanks to @mm60 for being the guinea pig and doing the base write up

Flash the U1 firmware, which you can get on Frija. Make sure you use the patched ODIN linked in post #2, Odin3_v3.13.3b.
    Boot up the phone with an active US Carrier SIM installed.
    Go through the initial setup and connect to Wi-Fi.
    When the pop-up saying that the phone "needed to apply carrier settings and reboot", agreed and let it reboot.
    Once the phone reboots, go through the setup and verify the Service Provider is your carrier (VZW/SPR/TMB/ATT, etc) is in the Settings.
    Flashed the U firmware again with the USERDATA file and set it up again (The USERDATA file is Carrier agnostic. The carrier features/apps will be installed based on the active carrier SIM that's installed when it's flashed)

If you get your CSC Stuck on XAA/XAA/(Insert your carrier here), and can not get Carrier options back.
    Go to the tutorial that @borijess put together HERE
    N986U - Carrier Versions

N986USQU2DUCA CCT
    N986USQU2DUC5 VZW Bootloader 2
    N986USQS2DUC1 CCT Bootloader 2
    N986USQS2DUBB AT&T/USC MIRROR thanks @Venom0642 Bootloader 2
    N986USQU1DUB7 VZW Thanks to @drewiskee for grabbing this N986USQSU2DUBB
    N986USQU1DUB5 ATT/SPR/TMB/CCT/CHA Thanks for the link @Venom0642
    N986USQS1CTLC VZW/CHA/USC January Patch
    N986USQS1CTLB TMB/ATT/SPR. MIRROR Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1CTLA VZW Second December Patch Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1CTL4 VZW Android 11 MIRROR Thanks for the link @denson9874
    N986USQU1CTL2 ATT/TMB/SPR/CCT Android 11. Thanks @dottat. MIRROR thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQS1BTK3 SPR/TMB/USC
    N986USQS1BTJ8 VZW
    N986USQU1BTJ4 SPR/TMB
    N986USQU1BTJ3 VZW/USC
    N986USQU1BTJ2 VZW
    N986USQU1BTIF ATT - To Flash this put the ALL_OYN file in the AP slot. The AT&T USERDATA, that goes in it's "regular" slot. Thanks to @Venom0642 for this file and to @butchieboy for sending one my way
    N986USQU1BTIB VZW/CHA Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1ATI6 USC
    N986USQU1ATI5 SPR/TMB - Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1ATH4 USC/TMB/SPR Aug Security - Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1ATH3 ATT/SPR/TMB/VZW/CCT Aug Security
    N986USQU1ATGM SPR/USC/CCT/TMB

Odin3_v3.13.3b: HERE
    N986U1 - Unlocked Versions

N986U1UES2DUC8
    N986U1UES2DUC1 This is the 1st firmware on BL 2, if you update to this, there is no flashing to ANY BL1 firmware, INCLUDING carrier versions not on BL2
    N986U1UEU1DUB5
    N986U1UES1CUA1
    N986U1UEU1CTLB
    N986U1UES1CTL7
    N986U1UEU1CTL4
    N986U1UES1ATK1
    N986U1UES1ATJ5
    N986U1UES1ATJ3
    N986U1UES1ATID
    N986U1UEU1ATI5
    N986U1UES1ATI1
    N986U1UEU1ATH3