OTA and Non-OTA Firmware for N986U and N986U1

butchieboy

Feb 15, 2012
springfield.il
I haven't had chance to do anything lately. Sons basketball. Been thinking about selling some of my devices..all mint. (2) Note 8's...S8..NoteFE..10 Lite. 6Edge Plus..Note9..hell just no time anymore. Note 10plus and 20 still on Android 10...lol

Reactions: iunlock

iunlock

May 22, 2010
Galaxy
Hey guys, whenever I reboot the device the signal bars don't show up next to the LTE, but data still works flamelessly... After a long while the bars finally show up...any ideas?

I know that freezing ims can do this, but I haven't touched those...

SmartSelect_20210218-144748_Nova Launcher.jpg

iunlock

May 22, 2010
Galaxy
I haven't had chance to do anything lately. Sons basketball. Been thinking about selling some of my devices..all mint. (2) Note 8's...S8..NoteFE..10 Lite. 6Edge Plus..Note9..hell just no time anymore. Note 10plus and 20 still on Android 10...lol
I recently brought out the stash of devices from the note 3 on up to the 10+ with some galaxy S's and nexus models ... I usually make a routine to keep the battery ~60% when storing them to keep them fresh as possible.

With the older devices it's worth more (sentimental value wise) just to keep it and enjoy like the note 2, 3, 4 and even 5. Sell a few and combined it'll maybe amount to something, but...

Just for giggles sake I like to think that my note 3's still on KitKat and preserved boot loader is somewhat special, unique and rare lol. #whenAndroidOS was actually good. Miss the jelly bean days. So simple and clean.

And yea, Android 10 > 11 for me... I don't like 11 at all.

FedeAle

Mar 20, 2015
Hi guys, I'm new here. I buyed a note 20 ultra sm-n986u in the USA, carrier At&t. I'm in Italy. Using an unlock code, I was able to unlock the phone to use it with my italian sim, but the problem is that the phone never detect updates. Now I am totally confused. If I want to flash a firmware from here, should I flash the last available firmware At&t? Will my phone block again my italian sim and request another code? Should I flash a non-carriers firmware to eliminate the bloatware? In this case will the phone ask me again an unlock code, or it will not be necessary anymore? Or the phone will keep it in his memory? Please help me.

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
Hi guys, I'm new here. I buyed a note 20 ultra sm-n986u in the USA, carrier At&t. I'm in Italy. Using an unlock code, I was able to unlock the phone to use it with my italian sim, but the problem is that the phone never detect updates. Now I am totally confused. If I want to flash a firmware from here, should I flash the last available firmware At&t? Will my phone block again my italian sim and request another code? Should I flash a non-carriers firmware to eliminate the bloatware? In this case will the phone ask me again an unlock code, or it will not be necessary anymore? Or the phone will keep it in his memory? Please help me.
Because it's a US based device (SM986U, or U1) you will not be able to get OTA updates from your Italian carrier. You would need to manually update when they become available and we get them posted here or you could download them yourself work Frija.
You could flash the U1 firmware to avoid the bloat, if your wanted to.
You should not need to use the unlock code again

FedeAle

Mar 20, 2015
Because it's a US based device (SM986U, or U1) you will not be able to get OTA updates from your Italian carrier. You would need to manually update when they become available and we get them posted here or you could download them yourself work Frija.
You could flash the U1 firmware to avoid the bloat, if your wanted to.
You should not need to use the unlock code again
Ok so I can flash U1 firmware... but are you 100% sure I will not lose my unlock code? Because the seller give me this one, and I don't think it can be used again, or the seller provide me another code. So the question now is: the fact that the firmware I will flash is U1 will make the code unusable? I have to be 100% sure to this....

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
Ok so I can flash U1 firmware... but are you 100% sure I will not lose my unlock code? Because the seller give me this one, and I don't think it can be used again, or the seller provide me another code. So the question now is: the fact that the firmware I will flash is U1 will make the code unusable? I have to be 100% sure to this....
I don't believe the flashing of a firmware will mess with the SIM unlock at all. Maybe others can validate if I'm talking our my arse, and to give you a little more assurance.
And that would be regardless of flashing a carrier or non-carrier firmware

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
Any reason why most carriers aren't releasing a february patch? Or are they waiting for the one ui 3.1 update that's supposed to come out innanweek or two?
Sure there's a reason, but who the heck knows what they're doing :D
A lot of times the patches come at the end of the month or at the beginning of the next one. It sure does seem like a LONG time between them though

dalxyon

Feb 18, 2021
You can enable it on the AT&T Note by changing your CSC to XAA and flashing U1 firmware.
It's possible this will work on Verizon versions as well, but I have not tested it.
First thing is pull your SIM card.
Change your CSC to XAA (this will wipe your phone)
Flash the latest U1 firmware using CSC_OMC, not HOME_CSC. Again, this will wipe the phone.
Let it reboot WITHOUT your SIM card and go through basic setup.
You will now have Call and Text on other devices available in Advanced Features.
Shutdown and then insert your SIM and then reboot. Call and Text on other devices "should" still be there.
Your CSC will revert back to VZW after you insert your SIM.
My phone went from XAA/XAA/ATT to ATT/ATT/ATT after inserting my SIM, but the Call and Text feature remained.
You will lose some network features. I lost RCS and VoLTE, but those can be restored by editing IMS settings.
I can't say what will be lost or remain in Verizon devices as I don't have one to test with.
Hey bud, can you assist me with this? I really want to get this done. Which of the links in posts 2 and 3 should I use for this? You're saying I can use the U1 firmware even though I have the Qualcomm CPU instead of the Exynos? Which one of the U1 firmware links should I use considering I have the January patch on VZW firmware?

Last edited:

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
Hey bud, can you assist me with this? I really want to get this done. Which of the links in posts 2 and 3 should I use for this? You're saying I can use the U1 firmware even though I have the Qualcomm CPU instead of the Exynos? Which one of the U1 firmware links should I use considering I have the January patch on VZW firmware?
The U1 firmware is in post #3, (the one's in post 2 are the Carrier versions). You would select the top one in post #3, that is the Feb security patch.
Side note, All of the firmware here is for the Snapdragon chipset. I dont post anything here for the Exynos

dalxyon

Feb 18, 2021
The U1 firmware is in post #3, (the one's in post 2 are the Carrier versions). You would select the top one in post #3, that is the Feb security patch.
Side note, All of the firmware here is for the Snapdragon chipset. I dont post anything here for the Exynos
I appreciate the response. I get I just didn't understand how the firmware number is structured. I saw the E and thought Exynos since the VZW firmware I am on shows Q in the same position so I thought Qualcomm there. My bad.

I just flashed to the most recent U1 and it worked beautifully. Thank you so much for the great posts! I have just one last thing to ask. Since I flashed to the most recent U1, can I get OTA or do I have to perform a specific method to get the most recent updates from this point forward?

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
I appreciate the response. I get I just didn't understand how the firmware number is structured. I saw the E and thought Exynos since the VZW firmware I am on shows Q in the same position so I thought Qualcomm there. My bad.

I just flashed to the most recent U1 and it worked beautifully. Thank you so much for the great posts! I have just one last thing to ask. Since I flashed to the most recent U1, can I get OTA or do I have to perform a specific method to get the most recent updates from this point forward?

No worries, if you take a look at post 1, I explain what the naming/numbering sequences mean.

If you just flashed the files in the firmware as they are and didnt do any file swapping (Like was suggested a few posts back), and you're on a US Carrier you should receive OTA