OTA and Non-OTA Firmware for N986U and N986U1

Search This thread

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
Reading a post from warriorvibhu (post #1,687) he says the camera crashes is happening to him and he's always have been on U1. Then again I also see your response about before going to U1 you were experiencing the camera crashes. So it's happening on U and U1? Thinking I might hold off for a little while to see if the camera issue gets sorted out before going through the effort of a clean install.

The phone that I would be flashing is my work phone so when I do a wipe breaks my corporate Multi-factor authentication (MFA) connectivity and MDM certs which requires me to engage IT to manually reset my MFA account / MDM certs as it some how detected that I wiped my phone. Anyway it's a lot more effort then the norm.
Oh I feel you there, it breaks my MFA too. 😕
I jumped to U1 for the first time in a really long time and have zero issues with it. Historically I would get a little worse cell coverage, but that's not an issue any more. I do think the updates are more constant on U1, the carriers tend to get in their own way.

But yeah, I agree it's best to be sure for the amount of work involved

rwd0530

Jan 14, 2021
Oh I feel you there, it breaks my MFA too. 😕
I jumped to U1 for the first time in a really long time and have zero issues with it. Historically I would get a little worse cell coverage, but that's not an issue any more. I do think the updates are more constant on U1, the carriers tend to get in their own way.

But yeah, I agree it's best to be sure for the amount of work involved
Well, I would like to go to the U1 but I have an issue changing my phone's CSC (see post #1,419) which you assisted me. Unfortunately even after using the Google Dialer typing in the dialer code nothing happens (Found a few posts of other users experiencing the same issue with no resolution).

So my CSC shows ATT/ATT/ATT which it should be VZW/VZW/ATT (ATT phone unlocked with a Verizon SIM). So the result for me is that I'm unable to get OTA updates which was my main goal. Originally my phone was having issues getting updates and was hoping flashing with the firmware on this thread would get me back on getting OTA updates.

dj24

Jun 23, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
I was just complaining the other day with Tmo's unusually delayed monthly update but it looks like there was a good reason. They just enabled e-sim with April's Security Patch that I just updated to and which was released today. Anyone here thinking of jumping back to the U version to take advantage of this?

Edit: It's still only the March Security update!

Last edited:
Reactions: kangi26

lowkey74

Mar 6, 2011
Atlanta
Download in the works for AT&T locked note 20 ultra. Updated firmware as well.
Screenshot_20210414-115931_Software Update.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210414-121627_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20210414-121627_Settings.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

truckerdewd

Oct 31, 2010
Independence, MO
I was just complaining the other day with Tmo's unusually delayed monthly update update but it looks like there was a good reason. They just enabled e-sim with April's Security Patch that I just updated to and which was released today. Anyone here thinking of jumping back to the U version to take advantage of this?

Security patch is March 1. 😢

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210414-144225_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20210414-144225_Settings.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: dj24

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
Ok, one downside I have to being on U1, I'm not able to send/receive pics via text (MMS I suspect) Both on the Samsung and the Google Messaging apps.

Edit, looks like the APN needed a little help

Last edited:
Reactions: rskyline

ShoonMcgregor

Jun 27, 2008
DUC8 link is posted in post #2
I just downloaded N986USQU2DUC8.zip, flashed it and did a factory reset but it looks like the verizon one (boot animation and it attempts to register with Verizon during setup) Is there a way to confirm this is a TMB image?

Edit: this is on a Verizon purchased note

Edit2: This was user error, I didn't re-insert the sim and reboot to set the csc. All is good now and verified tmb version with esim

Last edited:
I just downloaded N986USQU2DUC8.zip, flashed it and did a factory reset but it looks like the verizon one (boot animation and it attempts to register with Verizon during setup) Is there a way to confirm this is a TMB image?

Edit: this is on a Verizon purchased note
Check this on your settings

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210415-092853_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20210415-092853_Settings.png
    209.3 KB · Views: 52

dhairston85

Jan 6, 2013
I have a Verizon Note 20 Ultra that is unlocked and I'm trying to switch it over to Tmobile/Sprint network and software... I don't know what, if anything, that im doing wrong as it doesn't go past dspso.bin in odin... I really need help as maybe im not downloading the proper file to get initially switched over.. any help is appreciated.. thanks

I have a Verizon Note 20 Ultra that is unlocked and I'm trying to switch it over to Tmobile/Sprint network and software... I don't know what, if anything, that im doing wrong as it doesn't go past dspso.bin in odin... I really need help as maybe im not downloading the proper file to get initially switched over.. any help is appreciated.. thanks
Just out of curiosity, why do you want TMobile software?

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle

First question is, are you using the Odin provided in post 2 or 3?
Second, is you will need to have an active TMB SIM card installed in your before flashing the firmware device. The firmware will install the features and software based on the SIM that's installed

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

Hi guys, I'm sorry if this was asked before, but I am tryng to install the last u1 firmware on my att note 20 ultra, that is never updated. I downloaded odin 3 patched and insert all the AP BL CP and HOME_CSC for a dirty flash. The phone is connected to my pc and detected by odin, but when I try to start odin stuck at "setup connection" and nothing happens. Why?
    You have to use the regular CSC, not the HOME_CSC. You cant dirty flash going to/from U to U1 and vice versa.

Edit: I might also suggest doing a wipe before flashing. You dont HAVE to, but it's something I do if a flash isnt going according to plan
    AT&T Note20 Ultra 5G Live OTA May Patch Firmware N986USQU2DUDC Is Out.
    I'm going to clean up some of the really old firmware in post 2 and 3. They arent used any longer and probably good to clear some space out on AFH
    Added a link to DUDC for ATT/USC/CCT in post #2
    Here's some screenshots of Hex on my AT&T Note20 Ultra 5G 512GB. No issues at all.
    Kangi...we have got to find Venom a girlfriend....quick...kidding ol friend. Kangi..Venom how you guys doing? See you guys still at it. Haven't been around much..work work work. Venom thanks again buddy for the file you sent.
    New update for U1

Screenshot_20210524-135337_Software update.png
    N986U - Carrier Versions

BOOTLOADER 2

N986USQS2DUE2 CHA Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQS2DUE1 ATT/VZW/TMB/SPR. Thanks for the mirror @Venom0642 Mirror
    N986USQU2DUDC ATT/USC/CCT
    N986USQU2DUC8 TMB
    N986USQU2DUCA CCT/USC/CHA
    N986USQU2DUC5 VZW
    N986USQS2DUC1 CCT
    N986USQS2DUBB AT&T/USC MIRROR thanks @Venom0642

BOOTLOADER 1
    N986USQU1DUB7 VZW Thanks to @drewiskee for grabbing this N986USQSU2DUBB
    N986USQU1DUB5 ATT/SPR/TMB/CCT/CHA Thanks for the link @Venom0642
    N986USQS1CTLC VZW/CHA/USC January Patch
    N986USQS1CTLB TMB/ATT/SPR. MIRROR Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1CTLA VZW Second December Patch Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1CTL4 VZW Android 11 MIRROR Thanks for the link @denson9874
    N986USQU1CTL2 ATT/TMB/SPR/CCT Android 11. Thanks @dottat. MIRROR thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1BTJ3 VZW/USC

Odin3_v3.13.3b: HERE
    See Post #2 and #3 for the Links to the Firmware
    ALL of the firmware posted here can be flashed on any N986U/N986U1 Device. The firmware is NOT carrier dependent and is only listed next to some of them in order to have an idea if you might get OTA when you flash it

Understanding Firmware naming:

N986USQU1ATGM
    N=Note
    986U or F etc, the model of device
    SQ, FX etc = CPU and model specific
    U,S,E = Update, Security, Engineering, respectively
    1,2,3,4,5 etc = bootloader revision (This is important! You cannot go to a previous revision)
    A,B,C,D = Android version
    T, U = Year (T=2020, U=2021 etc)
    A,B,C etc = month (January A - December L)
    1 - 9 and then A - Z =build compilation. This basically means how many builds there are in a month. They start at 1 and go to Z
    So N986USQU1ATGM would be
    N968-U-SQ-U-1-A-T-G-M
    N968U (Note 20 Ultra Carrier version), SQ (Snapdragon), U (Update), 1 (Bootloader version), A (Build 10), T (2020), G (July), M (22nd build)

How to enter Download Mode:
    Turn off the device.
    Connect USB cable to your PC (Leave it disconnected from the phone)
    Press and hold down the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons. While they are still pressed, plug in the USB cable into your phone.
    The phone will go into download mode press volume up. In Odin you will see that phone is added.

Dirty Flash:
    I would only do this if you are having to manually update to the newer firmware and would not do it if you are coming/going to U/U1 or from beta firmware or if you are on an old firmware. I'd also highly recommend doing a back up prior to the doing this
    Load these into Odin
    BL
    AP
    CP
    HOME_CSC
    Do NOT flash CSC or USERDATA, either of these WILL wipe your device
    This is a "dirty flash" and these can sometimes cause issues. Keep in mind if things start going sideways and stuff starts not working right, your first step to a solution will be to wipe the device.

Tips on flashing U1 Firmware:
    You will have to wipe, can NOT dirty Flash going between U and U1 firmware
    Use the patched ODIN linked in post #2 or #3, Odin3_v3.13.3b (They are exactly the same)
    Have an active US Carrier SIM installed to get carrier features

If you get your CSC Stuck on XAA/XAA/(Insert your carrier here), and can not get Carrier options back.
    Go to the tutorial that @borijess put together HERE
    N986U1 - Unlocked Versions

BOOTLOADER 2
    N986U1UES2DUE1
    N986U1UEU2DUDD
    N986U1UES2DUD5
    N986U1UEU2DUCB For those with old eyes like mine, that is DUCB (Letter B, not an Eight)
    N986U1UES2DUC8
    N986U1UES2DUC1

BOOTLOADER 1

N986U1UEU1DUB5
    N986U1UES1CUA1
    N986U1UEU1CTLB
    N986U1UES1CTL7
    N986U1UEU1CTL4

Odin3_v3.13.3b: HERE
    Big Update AT&T Note20 Ultra live .
    Uploading U1 CTL4 now. I'll have a OP link shortly

Edit***