OTA and Non-OTA Firmware for N986U and N986U1

Search This thread

dhairston85

Jan 6, 2013
First question is, are you using the Odin provided in post 2 or 3?
Second, is you will need to have an active TMB SIM card installed in your before flashing the firmware device. The firmware will install the features and software based on the SIM that's installed
I've used the one in post 2 and 3 as it says 13.3b in both posts.. I already have the TMobile SIM card inserted and active.. Now im just trying to get rid of the Verizon bloatware... Which one of the bootloaders am I supposed to use then?? I even went through Frija to download it according to what it should be, and same results.... so heck, if I wanna make it a U1 version, which one do I download since I can't get Tmobile one working... lol so confusing

dhairston85

Jan 6, 2013
what are the differences between the carrier bootloaders 1 & 2????? how do we choose between the unlocked versions if we're interested in making it go from U to U1??

znel52

Jun 3, 2010
So verizon pushed an OTA for build N986USQU2DUCA but I have been unable to find an odin file specifically for VZW. USC is currently on the same build. Will the odin file for USC work for VZW since they are the same build? Or are there differences in odin files for each carrier?

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
So verizon pushed an OTA for build N986USQU2DUCA but I have been unable to find an odin file specifically for VZW. TMo is currently on the same build. Will the odin file for TMo work for VZW since they are the same build? Or are there differences in odin files for each carrier?

You wont find one that's specific to any carrier. All of the firmware will work on any of the N986U/U1 devices. If VZW's latest firmware is 2DUCA, then you can flash that one that's in post#2 and you'll stay available for future OTA from VZW

znel52

Jun 3, 2010
You wont find one that's specific to any carrier. All of the firmware will work on any of the N986U/U1 devices. If VZW's latest firmware is 2DUCA, then you can flash that one that's in post#2 and you'll stay available for future OTA from VZW
Awesome thanks!

ltmikepowell

Jan 29, 2013
I thought I figure it out on how to flash from U1 to U but now I don't really know what I am doing (good thing that I haven't attempt it yet). I know how to flash incremental update though.

I have a Note20 Ultra (SM-N986U1) with TMobile SIM and the latest N986U1UEU2DUCB firmware. If I want to flash TMobile firmware then what step should I take? I know that I cannot flash older firmware, but this is for the future when I need to do so.

sclarktay4

Jan 9, 2011
Here
I thought I figure it out on how to flash from U1 to U but now I don't really know what I am doing (good thing that I haven't attempt it yet). I know how to flash incremental update though.

I have a Note20 Ultra (SM-N986U1) with TMobile SIM and the latest N986U1UEU2DUCB firmware. If I want to flash TMobile firmware then what step should I take? I know that I cannot flash older firmware, but this is for the future when I need to do so.
Flash as usual the firmware you want but you must use the csc instead of home_csc. It will wipe your phone so back it up prior to wipe so you can restore. I did the process and this is the only way I could go from U1 to U.

Reactions: rskyline

Top Liked Posts

So we basically using the unlocked firm but still tied to AT&T's update schedule? 🤔
    "Basically", but really only for OTA. You can flash DUD5 if you wanted and if coming from DUCB, could dirty flash without too much issue. IMO going from one revision to the next a dirty flash is ok, but making multiple jumps or going U-U1 or vise versa dirty flash isnt a great idea
    Good to know I'm not the only one. Saw other u1 receiving this update like a week ago or so.

Actually in taking a look, Currently -
    CCT/CHA/USC/VZW/XAA are on DUD5
    ATT is on DUCB
    TMB/SPR are on DUC8.

I really liked it when all the firmware was aligned, not sure why it's gotten so off the rails
    "Basically", but really only for OTA. You can flash DUD5 if you wanted and if coming from DUCB, could dirty flash without too much issue. IMO going from one revision to the next a dirty flash is ok, but making multiple jumps or going U-U1 or vise versa dirty flash isnt a great idea
    I think like since DUD5 is not a big update, I would just wait for the OTA.
    Question: If one is travelling outside the U.S and is currently on the other side of the world (S. Africa in my case) Should one expect carrier updates (T-mobile in my case once again) via OTA updates?

I'm on a carrier branded and unlocked t-mobile U device currently on DUC8 with active e-sim that has my regular t-mobile service and a local S. African prepaid service on Sim 1 and switch back and forth regularly between the two.

The thing is my regular t-mobile e-sim service is always roaming on S. African Vodafone service whenever I'm not on wifi which makes sense since there's no t-mobile service out here in S. Africa. Hence my question- will I still get my regular State Side OTA updates when slow mo T-mobile decides to push them out ?

That's a question I haven't run across before. I image you might, since you have an active TMO Sim. You obviously would have to get onto wifi for it to download. But I can't say for sure.

I'd keep an eye on this thread when you get the chance, someone will eventually post that a TMB update has dropped, you can check for an update and know 100%.

Sorry that's the best I personally have for your question
    Uploading U1 DUD5 now. Have a link in a bit
    New update.. Sadly no esim support
    Screenshot_20210506-110836_Software update.png
    So we basically using the unlocked firm but still tied to AT&T's update schedule? 🤔
    Download in the works for AT&T locked note 20 ultra. Updated firmware as well.
    Screenshot_20210414-115931_Software Update.jpg
    yup Firmware N986USQU2DUCF
    See Post #2 and #3 for the Links to the Firmware
    ALL of the firmware posted here can be flashed on any N986U/N986U1 Device. The firmware is NOT carrier dependent and is only listed next to some of them in order to have an idea if you might get OTA when you flash it

Understanding Firmware naming:

N986USQU1ATGM
    N=Note
    986U or F etc, the model of device
    SQ, FX etc = CPU and model specific
    U,S,E = Update, Security, Engineering, respectively
    1,2,3,4,5 etc = bootloader revision (This is important! You cannot go to a previous revision)
    A,B,C,D = Android version
    T, U = Year (T=2020, U=2021 etc)
    A,B,C etc = month (January A - December L)
    1 - 9 and then A - Z =build compilation. This basically means how many builds there are in a month. They start at 1 and go to Z
    So N986USQU1ATGM would be
    N968-U-SQ-U-1-A-T-G-M
    N968U (Note 20 Ultra Carrier version), SQ (Snapdragon), U (Update), 1 (Bootloader version), A (Build 10), T (2020), G (July), M (22nd build)

How to enter Download Mode:
    Turn off the device.
    Connect USB cable to your PC (Leave it disconnected from the phone)
    Press and hold down the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons. While they are still pressed, plug in the USB cable into your phone.
    The phone will go into download mode press volume up. In Odin you will see that phone is added.

Dirty Flash:
    I would only do this if you are having to manually update to the newer firmware and would not do it if you are coming/going to U/U1 or from beta firmware or if you are on an old firmware. I'd also highly recommend doing a back up prior to the doing this
    Load these into Odin
    BL
    AP
    CP
    HOME_CSC
    Do NOT flash CSC or USERDATA, either of these WILL wipe your device
    This is a "dirty flash" and these can sometimes cause issues. Keep in mind if things start going sideways and stuff starts not working right, your first step to a solution will be to wipe the device.

Tips on flashing U1 Firmware:
    Thanks to @mm60 for being the guinea pig and doing the base write up

Flash the U1 firmware, which you can get on Frija. Make sure you use the patched ODIN linked in post #2, Odin3_v3.13.3b.
    Boot up the phone with an active US Carrier SIM installed.
    Go through the initial setup and connect to Wi-Fi.
    When the pop-up saying that the phone "needed to apply carrier settings and reboot", agreed and let it reboot.
    Once the phone reboots, go through the setup and verify the Service Provider is your carrier (VZW/SPR/TMB/ATT, etc) is in the Settings.
    Flashed the U firmware again with the USERDATA file and set it up again (The USERDATA file is Carrier agnostic. The carrier features/apps will be installed based on the active carrier SIM that's installed when it's flashed)

If you get your CSC Stuck on XAA/XAA/(Insert your carrier here), and can not get Carrier options back.
    Go to the tutorial that @borijess put together HERE
    N986U - Carrier Versions

BOOTLOADER 2

N986USQU2DUC8 TMB
    N986USQU2DUCA CCT/USC/CHA
    N986USQU2DUC5 VZW
    N986USQS2DUC1 CCT
    N986USQS2DUBB AT&T/USC MIRROR thanks @Venom0642

BOOTLOADER 1
    N986USQU1DUB7 VZW Thanks to @drewiskee for grabbing this N986USQSU2DUBB
    N986USQU1DUB5 ATT/SPR/TMB/CCT/CHA Thanks for the link @Venom0642
    N986USQS1CTLC VZW/CHA/USC January Patch
    N986USQS1CTLB TMB/ATT/SPR. MIRROR Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1CTLA VZW Second December Patch Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1CTL4 VZW Android 11 MIRROR Thanks for the link @denson9874
    N986USQU1CTL2 ATT/TMB/SPR/CCT Android 11. Thanks @dottat. MIRROR thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQS1BTK3 SPR/TMB/USC
    N986USQS1BTJ8 VZW
    N986USQU1BTJ4 SPR/TMB
    N986USQU1BTJ3 VZW/USC
    N986USQU1BTJ2 VZW
    N986USQU1BTIF ATT - To Flash this put the ALL_OYN file in the AP slot. The AT&T USERDATA, that goes in it's "regular" slot. Thanks to @Venom0642 for this file and to @butchieboy for sending one my way
    N986USQU1BTIB VZW/CHA Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1ATI6 USC
    N986USQU1ATI5 SPR/TMB - Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1ATH4 USC/TMB/SPR Aug Security - Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1ATH3 ATT/SPR/TMB/VZW/CCT Aug Security
    N986USQU1ATGM SPR/USC/CCT/TMB

Odin3_v3.13.3b: HERE
    Big Update AT&T Note20 Ultra live .
    Uploading U1 CTL4 now. I'll have a OP link shortly

Edit***
    Took all the time to upload it, and it failed at the last min.......:mad:
    Uploading....... AGAIN