• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

OTA and Non-OTA Firmware for N986U and N986U1

Search This thread

ltmikepowell

Jan 29, 2013
So, here you've done what I've been trying to do. But I'd like to NOT wipe my phone.
Is that possible?
I want to go from U1 with DUDD to T-mo N986USQU2DUE1 to get eSIM, but not wipe my wife's phone.

Thanks!
You have to wipe it. Because when my device finished flashing the U firmware, it give me Incorrect PIN at lock screen, and there is no way to bypassing it. After I wipe the device and go through the initial setup that I was able to use my phone again.

I did not use USER_DATA (only BL, AP, CP and CSC) so that probably why I have to manually wipe my phone. I backup my phone using SmartSwitch beforehand so I did not lose anything.

Reactions: 3GJockey

hayabusa1300cc

Jun 8, 2007
HOUSTON TEXAS
www.facebook.com
Look at this

Screenshot_20210610-042616_Software update.png

FedeAle

Mar 20, 2015
Hi guys, I'm sorry if this was asked before, but I am tryng to install the last u1 firmware on my att note 20 ultra, that is never updated. I downloaded odin 3 patched and insert all the AP BL CP and HOME_CSC for a dirty flash. The phone is connected to my pc and detected by odin, but when I try to start odin stuck at "setup connection" and nothing happens. Why?

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
Hi guys, I'm sorry if this was asked before, but I am tryng to install the last u1 firmware on my att note 20 ultra, that is never updated. I downloaded odin 3 patched and insert all the AP BL CP and HOME_CSC for a dirty flash. The phone is connected to my pc and detected by odin, but when I try to start odin stuck at "setup connection" and nothing happens. Why?
You have to use the regular CSC, not the HOME_CSC. You cant dirty flash going to/from U to U1 and vice versa.

Edit: I might also suggest doing a wipe before flashing. You dont HAVE to, but it's something I do if a flash isnt going according to plan

Reactions: FedeAle

Swendo

Jun 18, 2015
I recently changed from Verizon to Spectrum and have been having issues with the branding and my voicemail not working. I flashed to the topmost Bootloader 2 firmware N986USQS2DUE2 and everything is still saying Verizon. I went into my software information and it installed correctly so I'm not sure what my issue is. Am I misunderstanding what I should be doing to fix that or do I need to do something else? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

rjohnstone

I recently changed from Verizon to Spectrum and have been having issues with the branding and my voicemail not working. I flashed to the topmost Bootloader 2 firmware N986USQS2DUE2 and everything is still saying Verizon. I went into my software information and it installed correctly so I'm not sure what my issue is. Am I misunderstanding what I should be doing to fix that or do I need to do something else? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Spectrum is using Verizon's network.
Open up settings/about phone/software information, and look at your "service provider software version" info.
A Verizon phone would read VZW/VZW/VZW with a Verizon SIM installed.
Spectrum a.k.a. Charter Wireless, CSC code is CHA.
It should recognize the Spectrum SIM and show as VZW/VZW/CHA.
If it still shows VZW/VZW/VZW, you may have to do a factory reset with the Spectrum SIM card installed.

I have a similar issue, I have U version with Verizon, but i have switched to ATT. Every time i call it drops to 3g. I flashed to U1 version with ATT sim inside and it still shows vrw/vrw/vrw. After, flashing I still got the recent DUE1 from verizon. when i call now it drops to 2g. Still dont have volte, which is the only reason i flashed to begin with. What can i do?

Swendo

Jun 18, 2015
Spectrum is using Verizon's network.
Open up settings/about phone/software information, and look at your "service provider software version" info.
A Verizon phone would read VZW/VZW/VZW with a Verizon SIM installed.
Spectrum a.k.a. Charter Wireless, CSC code is CHA.
It should recognize the Spectrum SIM and show as VZW/VZW/CHA.
If it still shows VZW/VZW/VZW, you may have to do a factory reset with the Spectrum SIM card installed.
I checked and it said VZW/VZW/VZW so I factory reset but it still says the same thing when I went back to check once I reset so I'm not sure what else to try now.

Last edited:

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
I'm in a similar situation. I am thinking of flashing from Verizon U1 version to ATT U version. Any thought?
Unless the VZW and ATT firmware are the same build, the main thing that will get you is it will break OTA for you.
The firmware itself is basically the same. If you look at the DUE1 U firmware it is the same build for ATT/VZW/TMB/SPR. The difference is the SIM that you have installed in your device. You're flashing the exact same files

Last edited:
Reactions: butchieboy

Top Liked Posts

My question is this, I have a note 20 ultra 5G Verizon. I flashed over the AIO firmware for the new update. I forgot to take my SIM card out and it still reads as Verizon under the CSC.

It's been awhile since I've done an Odin flash but I remember whenever you flashed a firmware it would change the CSC. Do I need to take my SIM card out first then flash the AT&t firmware or AIO firmware and then insert my SIM card again in order to change the Verizon CSC over to AIO/Att CSC?

There is no "VZW" or "ATT" or "TMB" or whatever firmware's on these devices. (They are only listed in the OP to a specific carrier to ID the current one so folks will know if they will get OTA)
    The SIM card is what will dictate the options installed when flashed with Odin. As long as the SIM is on an active network of course
    Replaced the DUF2_PCT with the DUF2 for all of the carriers
    New update today for Spectrum, DUF2.
    Screenshot_20210726-214030_Software update.jpg
    My question is this, I have a note 20 ultra 5G Verizon. I flashed over the AIO firmware for the new update. I forgot to take my SIM card out and it still reads as Verizon under the CSC.

It's been awhile since I've done an Odin flash but I remember whenever you flashed a firmware it would change the CSC. Do I need to take my SIM card out first then flash the AT&t firmware or AIO firmware and then insert my SIM card again in order to change the Verizon CSC over to AIO/Att CSC?

There is no "VZW" or "ATT" or "TMB" or whatever firmware's on these devices. (They are only listed in the OP to a specific carrier to ID the current one so folks will know if they will get OTA)
    The SIM card is what will dictate the options installed when flashed with Odin. As long as the SIM is on an active network of course
    Link to U-2DUF2 ATT/CHA in post 2
    N986U - Carrier Versions

BOOTLOADER 2

N986USQU2DUF2 ATT/CHA
    N986USQS2DUE4 SPR/TMB
    N986USQS2DUE2 VZW/CCT/CHA Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQS2DUE1 ATT/VZW/TMB/SPR. Thanks for the mirror @Venom0642 Mirror
    N986USQU2DUDC ATT/USC/CCT
    N986USQU2DUC8 TMB
    N986USQU2DUCA CCT/USC/CHA
    N986USQU2DUC5 VZW
    N986USQS2DUC1 CCT
    N986USQS2DUBB AT&T/USC MIRROR thanks @Venom0642

BOOTLOADER 1
    N986USQU1DUB7 VZW Thanks to @drewiskee for grabbing this N986USQSU2DUBB
    N986USQU1DUB5 ATT/SPR/TMB/CCT/CHA Thanks for the link @Venom0642
    N986USQS1CTLC VZW/CHA/USC January Patch
    N986USQS1CTLB TMB/ATT/SPR. MIRROR Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1CTLA VZW Second December Patch Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1CTL4 VZW Android 11 MIRROR Thanks for the link @denson9874
    N986USQU1CTL2 ATT/TMB/SPR/CCT Android 11. Thanks @dottat. MIRROR thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQU1BTJ3 VZW/USC

Odin3_v3.13.3b: HERE
    See Post #2 and #3 for the Links to the Firmware
    ALL of the firmware posted here can be flashed on any N986U/N986U1 Device. The firmware is NOT carrier dependent and is only listed next to some of them in order to have an idea if you might get OTA when you flash it

Understanding Firmware naming:

N986USQU1ATGM
    N=Note
    986U or F etc, the model of device
    SQ, FX etc = CPU and model specific
    U,S,E = Update, Security, Engineering, respectively
    1,2,3,4,5 etc = bootloader revision (This is important! You cannot go to a previous revision)
    A,B,C,D = Android version
    T, U = Year (T=2020, U=2021 etc)
    A,B,C etc = month (January A - December L)
    1 - 9 and then A - Z =build compilation. This basically means how many builds there are in a month. They start at 1 and go to Z
    So N986USQU1ATGM would be
    N968-U-SQ-U-1-A-T-G-M
    N968U (Note 20 Ultra Carrier version), SQ (Snapdragon), U (Update), 1 (Bootloader version), A (Build 10), T (2020), G (July), M (22nd build)

How to enter Download Mode:
    Turn off the device.
    Connect USB cable to your PC (Leave it disconnected from the phone)
    Press and hold down the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons. While they are still pressed, plug in the USB cable into your phone.
    The phone will go into download mode press volume up. In Odin you will see that phone is added.

Dirty Flash:
    I would only do this if you are having to manually update to the newer firmware and would not do it if you are coming/going to U/U1 or from beta firmware or if you are on an old firmware. I'd also highly recommend doing a back up prior to the doing this
    Load these into Odin
    BL
    AP
    CP
    HOME_CSC
    Do NOT flash CSC or USERDATA, either of these WILL wipe your device
    This is a "dirty flash" and these can sometimes cause issues. Keep in mind if things start going sideways and stuff starts not working right, your first step to a solution will be to wipe the device.

Tips on flashing U1 Firmware:
    You will have to wipe, can NOT dirty Flash going between U and U1 firmware
    Use the patched ODIN linked in post #2 or #3, Odin3_v3.13.3b (They are exactly the same)
    Have an active US Carrier SIM installed to get carrier features

If you get your CSC Stuck on XAA/XAA/(Insert your carrier here), and can not get Carrier options back.
    Go to the tutorial that @borijess put together HERE
    N986U1 - Unlocked Versions

BOOTLOADER 2
    N986U1UE2DUF2
    N986U1UES2DUE1
    N986U1UEU2DUDD
    N986U1UES2DUD5
    N986U1UEU2DUCB For those with old eyes like mine, that is DUCB (Letter B, not an Eight)
    N986U1UES2DUC8
    N986U1UES2DUC1

BOOTLOADER 1

N986U1UEU1DUB5
    N986U1UES1CUA1
    N986U1UEU1CTLB
    N986U1UES1CTL7
    N986U1UEU1CTL4

Odin3_v3.13.3b: HERE
    Big Update AT&T Note20 Ultra live .
    Uploading U1 CTL4 now. I'll have a OP link shortly

Edit***