OTA and Non-OTA Firmware for N986U and N986U1

Search This thread

butchieboy

Feb 15, 2012
springfield.il
WOW - so much great information here - THANK YOU to all who have collaborated and improved our community knowledge!
I do not want to be one who asks a question that has been answered previously. So, after about an hour of reading XDA posts, forgive me if I have overlooked this...but here is my situation (closely linked to this topic):
I have just purchased a SM-N986U from T-Mobile. After booting and initial setup, I received a message that Android 11 would be automatically installed within minutes. Due to ongoing issues with Scoped Storage, which Google has indicated will not be resolved until January, I want to avoid Android 11 until these issues have been resolved. So, for now I have a new Note20 Ultra 5G that sits powered off, unused.

I had considered flashing a non-TMO CSC in order to avoid OTA updates (re-flashing the TMO CSC once these Android 11 issues have been resolved). However, I am concerned that I will not have the proper 5G bands for TMO if I flash a non-TMO CSC. I supposed I could flash a U1 AP with a U (TMO) CSC. But, if I do that, once I finally want OTA, I would need to flash the U version of AP...at which time I would not want to lose my settings or data. While I understand I could flash HOME-CSC and avoid flashing USERDATA when I would re-fIash to the U version AP, i am concerned with doing a dirty flash at that time.

Hopefully I've not been too confusing in my explanation of the dilemma. Hopefully one of you generous XDA members will explain that disabling OTA for TMO (and restoring it later) is not a dilemma at all... and point me in the right direction.

Also, unsure if this is an issue: Currently I do not have the "OEM Unlock" option in the Developer Options of my N986U. According to Odin, I did successfully flash the USC variant of the stock ROM to my N986U. However, after doing so, this phone now indicates an attempt was made to flash an unauthorized ROM, so I must identify myself to T-Mobile. I assume (hope) this will be a non-issue as well.
In order to get OTA csc and product code need to match...I think I said that right..lol have said it so many times I'm confused. You will not see oem unlock on US Snapdragon because the bootloader is locked.

I-Siamak-I

Oct 31, 2015
Hey guys, I have a Note 20 Ultra 5G Unlocked which I purchased directly from Samsung US, if I wanna do a fresh install using Odin and still get OTA updates, which firmware do I use? I'm using T-Mobile sim btw

thumbnail_Screenshot_20201227-224628_Settings.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

butchieboy

Feb 15, 2012
springfield.il
Hey guys, I have a Note 20 Ultra 5G Unlocked which I purchased directly from Samsung US, if I wanna do a fresh install using Odin and still get OTA updates, which firmware do I use? I'm using T-Mobile sim btw

View attachment 5170273
If you are just looking for clean install just flash the unlocked firmware you are currently on. If your not concerned about saving data just factory wipe. But to me a clean install means just that, so when I clean install I flash AP..BL..CP..CSC and not HOME_CSC that keeps data

I-Siamak-I

Oct 31, 2015
If you are just looking for clean install just flash the unlocked firmware you are currently on. If your not concerned about saving data just factory wipe. But to me a clean install means just that, so when I clean install I flash AP..BL..CP..CSC and not HOME_CSC that keeps data
so just to be clear I will use N986U1UEU1CTL4 in the first Page and load AP, BL, CP and CSC, correct?

TabletGeek

Jan 4, 2012
In order to get OTA csc and product code need to match...I think I said that right..lol have said it so many times I'm confused. You will not see oem unlock on US Snapdragon because the bootloader is locked.
Thank you @butchieboy. In order to cause the OTA and CSC product codes to not match, would you recommend flashing the U1 version of AP, BL, CSC, and the U version of CP and USERDATA (versus the opposite combination of U and U1 files) in order to ensure the correct radio bands are retained for TMO 5G? I have no issue with losing the obnoxious TMO startup tone and magenta screen. However, I would like to keep the correct TMO radio bands, Visual Voicemail, VoLTE calling, etc.

Last edited:
ok ok ok...I did it! I flashed my N986U that I got from AT&T to N986U1 and got rid of all reference to AT&T. Now I'm T-Mobile Unlocked, on Android 11 UI 3.0! Pulling down 76.9/47.1 here in Charlotte...WooHoo!

Now I'm going to do the same thing to the T-Mo locked variant I bought from them!

Thanks man!

butchieboy

Feb 15, 2012
springfield.il
Thank you @butchieboy. In order to cause the OTA and CSC product codes to not match, would you recommend flashing the U1 version of AP, BL, CSC, and the U version of CP and USERDATA (versus the opposite combination of U and U1 files) in order to ensure the correct radio bands are retained for TMO 5G? I have no issue with losing the obnoxious TMO startup tone and magenta screen. However, I would like to keep the correct TMO radio bands, Visual Voicemail, VoLTE calling, etc.
I'm 986U. So I'm not sure about U1. But if I flash U1 on my At&t locked device, I lose advanced settings such as wifi calling and the software update toggle is gone. Hopefully someone with U1 can better answer this. This thread is a wealth of knowledge.

I-Siamak-I

Oct 31, 2015
Yes....flashing csc will wipe device. If you flash home_csc it keeps data

This might be a noob question but can I flash my US unlocked Note 20 Ultra that has the firmware "N986U1UEU1CTL4" with T-Mobile Rom "N986USQU1CTL2"??? what is the side effect of doing so since I'm already using T-Mobile Sim? the reason im asking is I don't have Native RCS in the Samsung Messages App and I read that those of us with unlocked Note 20 Ultra can get around this by flashing T-Mobile rom.
Can I get back to unlocked Samsung ROM if things don't work out?
and the whole process is the same going back and forth between roms? just use Odin right?

butchieboy

Feb 15, 2012
springfield.il
This might be a noob question but can I flash my US unlocked Note 20 Ultra that has the firmware "N986U1UEU1CTL4" with T-Mobile Rom "N986USQU1CTL2"??? what is the side effect of doing so since I'm already using T-Mobile Sim? the reason im asking is I don't have Native RCS in the Samsung Messages App and I read that those of us with unlocked Note 20 Ultra can get around this by flashing T-Mobile rom.
Can I get back to unlocked Samsung ROM if things don't work out?
and the whole process is the same going back and forth between roms? just use Odin right?
Yes you can flash. As long as bootloader is the same you can. Going back is the same way. All of this has been answered numerous times🤪

elruco

Jun 24, 2017
Merry Christmas Guys and thank you for the reply's...so today i stop at best buy and pick up a USB-C to USB-C cable , and i was able to flash the CTL4 file , remember i had the phone bricked...so thanks to you guys advise to not use the original charger cable cause that was my problem...Thank you very much....so i have the phone on and i put in my sim card from T mobile but im getting this Error[ Sorry, your device cant be activated on another carriers network right now and to call the 1800 numbers.
so my ? its this CTL4 its a stock firmware, its not to unlock the phone to another carrier..
please let me know and thank you so much i was worry that i fup???? the phone loll
and forgot to let you guys know that my phone its from Verizon carrier en model...SM-N986USQS1BTJ8

unitz0mbie

Apr 6, 2015
Miami
I'm 986U. So I'm not sure about U1. But if I flash U1 on my At&t locked device, I lose advanced settings such as wifi calling and the software update toggle is gone. Hopefully someone with U1 can better answer this. This thread is a wealth of knowledge.

Yes this is true. My att device is currently U1. But I'm on one ui 3.0 beta 4. And I have wifi calling. One u.i 3.0 adds wifi calling. Everything is working as intended.

The only thing I can't get to work is RCS with the work around. Sometimes my messages won't send

Reactions: butchieboy

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
Yes this is true. My att device is currently U1. But I'm on one ui 3.0 beta 4. And I have wifi calling. One u.i 3.0 adds wifi calling. Everything is working as intended.

The only thing I can't get to work is RCS with the work around. Sometimes my messages won't send

You could always use Google Messenger

elruco

Jun 24, 2017
Hey, fellas, I install the N986U1UEU1CTL4, turns it on and it unlocks, I insert the Tmobile, and I could make phone calls and it says Tmobile but after 10mnts comes back to the error Change carrier device cant be activated on another carrier....any ideas, please...I install BL, AP, CP, CSC not user data...its that could b the issue..

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
Hey, fellas, I install the N986U1UEU1CTL4, turns it on and it unlocks, I insert the Tmobile, and I could make phone calls and it says Tmobile but after 10mnts comes back to the error Change carrier device cant be activated on another carrier....any ideas, please...I install BL, AP, CP, CSC not user data...its that could b the issue..
What model is the phone?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    See Post #2 and #3 for the Links to the Firmware
    ALL of the firmware posted here can be flashed on any N986U/N986U1 Device. The firmware is NOT carrier dependent and is only listed next to some of them in order to have an idea if you might get OTA when you flash it

Understanding Firmware naming:

N986USQU1ATGM
    N=Note
    986U or F etc, the model of device
    SQ, FX etc = CPU and model specific
    U,S,E = Update, Security, Engineering, respectively
    1,2,3,4,5 etc = bootloader revision (This is important! You cannot go to a previous revision)
    A,B,C,D = Android version
    T, U = Year (T=2020, U=2021 etc)
    A,B,C etc = month (January A - December L)
    1 - 9 and then A - Z =build compilation. This basically means how many builds there are in a month. They start at 1 and go to Z
    So N986USQU1ATGM would be
    N968-U-SQ-U-1-A-T-G-M
    N968U (Note 20 Ultra Carrier version), SQ (Snapdragon), U (Update), 1 (Bootloader version), A (Build 10), T (2020), G (July), M (22nd build)

How to enter Download Mode:
    Turn off the device.
    Connect USB cable to your PC (Leave it disconnected from the phone)
    Press and hold down the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons. While they are still pressed, plug in the USB cable into your phone.
    The phone will go into download mode press volume up. In Odin you will see that phone is added.

Dirty Flash:
    I would only do this if you are having to manually update to the newer firmware and would not do it if you are coming/going to U/U1 or from beta firmware or if you are on an old firmware. I'd also highly recommend doing a back up prior to the doing this
    Load these into Odin
    BL
    AP
    CP
    HOME_CSC
    Do NOT flash CSC or USERDATA, either of these WILL wipe your device
    This is a "dirty flash" and these can sometimes cause issues. Keep in mind if things start going sideways and stuff starts not working right, your first step to a solution will be to wipe the device.

Tips on flashing U1 Firmware:
    You will have to wipe, can NOT dirty Flash going between U and U1 firmware
    Use the patched ODIN linked in post #2 or #3, Odin3_v3.13.3b (They are exactly the same)
    Have an active US Carrier SIM installed to get carrier features

If you get your CSC Stuck on XAA/XAA/(Insert your carrier here), and can not get Carrier options back.
    Go to the tutorial that @borijess put together HERE
    N986U - Carrier Versions

BOOTLOADER 2

Android 12

N986USQS2FVC8 CCT/CHA/TMB/USC/VZW
    N986USQU2FVC5 CCT/CHA/SPR/TMB/USC/VZW
    N986USQU2EVA9 TMB/SPR/USC
    N986USQS2EULI ATT/CCT/CHA/SPR/TMB
    N986USQS2EULH VZW Jan patch
    N986USQS2EULF ATT/CCT/CHA/TMB/SPR Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQS2EULE VZW
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Android 11

N986USQS2DUJA ATT/CCT/CHA/SPR/TMB/VZW
    N986USQU2DUJ6 ATT/CCT/CHA/SPR/TMB/USC/VZW
    N986USQS2DUIC TMB
    N986USQS2DUIB CCT/CHA/VZW
    N986USQS2DUI4 VZW
    N986USQS2DUH4 TMB/SPR
    N986USQS2DUH3 /USC/CHA/CCT
    N986USQU2DUH2 TMB/SPR
    N986USQU2DUH1 ATT/USC/CCT/VZW/CHA
    N986USQU2DUF2 ATT/CHA
    N986USQS2DUE4 SPR/TMB
    N986USQS2DUE2 VZW/CCT/CHA Thanks @Venom0642
    N986USQS2DUE1 ATT/VZW/TMB/SPR. Thanks for the mirror @Venom0642 Mirror
    N986USQU2DUDC ATT/USC/CCT
    N986USQU2DUC8 TMB
    N986USQU2DUCA CCT/USC/CHA
    N986USQU2DUC5 VZW
    N986USQS2DUC1 CCT
    N986USQS2DUBB AT&T/USC MIRROR thanks @Venom0642

Odin3_v3.13.3b: HERE

N986U1 - Unlocked Versions

BOOTLOADER 2

Android 12

N986U1UE2FVC5
    N986U1UEU2EVA9
    N986U1UES2EULI Thanks for the link @Venom0642
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Android 11

N986U1UES2FVD6
    N986U1UES2DUK2
    N986U1UES2DUJ7
    N986U1UES2DUI7
    N986U1UES2DUH3
    N986U1UEU2DUH1
    N986U1UES2DUG1
    N986U1UE2DUF2
    N986U1UES2DUE1
    N986U1UEU2DUDD
    N986U1UES2DUD5
    N986U1UEU2DUCB For those with old eyes like mine, that is DUCB (Letter B, not an Eight)
    N986U1UES2DUC8
    N986U1UES2DUC1

Odin3_v3.13.3b: HERE
    Just a little heads up to everyone. When Android 12 drops for U1, I'll be removing the Beta stuff since we wont need it any longer. I try to keep things a little clean and tidy 😁
    Official android 12 firmware is up on frija for the SM-N986U1 XAA variant along with VZW and CHA csc variants