• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question OTA failed on rooted device?

Search This thread
I'm not sure if it's just me, but:
Screenshot_20211026-075139.jpg

towardsdawn

Sep 26, 2021
I had the same problem, went through a whole bunch of different methods (which I edited out of this post and hid below) until I figured out my problem was when I installed magisk I followed the official guide and did "fastboot flash boot boot_patched.img" I believe this flashes both A and B boot partitions, and the OTA checks both partitions for untouched hash values. I believe doing Magisk restore image or uninstall doesn't restore both partitions, only the active one.

To recover from this, I used MSMDownloadTool to restore to factory image, then I followed this guide to install Magisk and only touch the active partition (the key command is to use fastboot boot boot_patched.img and then direct install Magisk from Magisk Manager). To get OTA update, you can do Magisk restore image, then install the OTA update, then repeat the above. I think the phone automatically reboots after OTA finishes so you can't really keep Magisk, you have to reinstall Magisk after the reboot.

I'm guessing you don't necessarily have to restore to factory image, you could just do fastboot flash boot_a boot.img and fastboot flash boot_b boot.img to reset the device to pass OTA check and then reinstall Magisk using the method above.

I have the same problem, stock recovery. I tried uninstalling Magisk using "restore image" (I had to also make my own Magisk backup boot.img to do this following this guide) and applying the update but it didn't work. Reading the logcat the error message is "The hash of the source data on disk for this operation doesn't match the expected value".

I used EnumC's stock boot.img from his root guide, but not sure if that is the issue or not.

Even completely uninstalling Magisk and rebooting doesn't allow the update. I'm not sure how they detect it. It did finally let me update after doing a factory image reset and OEM unlock with MSMDownloadTool.

If you really want Magisk and updates you can extract boot.img from here, patch it with Magisk, and flash it. I don't think I'm going to bother with that because after a factory image reset you lose all of your data and you have to go through the setup process again, and you get all of the default bloat apps back.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts