• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

OTA File Location

Search This thread

carbon coupe

Aug 22, 2010
Michigan
Google Pixel 2 XL
Greetings.

Let's say I accidentally DL'd the OTA from the OEM update screen. Where in my file system might I find the file? I read that it may expire and vanish. It's that true? Kind of afraid to reboot right now. Thanks in advance.

Pixel 2xl, rooted, Magisk, OEM 10, Aug. rev.

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Even if the OTA did expire and vanish, and I have never heard that happening, Google makes full OTA images available at https://developers.google.com/android/ota in the Taimen section. As to where they are located, likely in the /data partition, but I have absolutely no clue where exactly they are.

I would simply reboot, as the system has most likely already applied the OTA and simply needs to finish completing the update.

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Boot - NOT install - TWRP using fastboot on the bootloader screen and flash a copy of Magisk you should have stored on your unit.

If you need detailed instructions we have a rooting guide on the forum that should help. Just make sure not to install TWRP or the unit will end up bootlooping, requiring you to flash the full firmware to fix it.