OTA - Official MDL update zip

Search This thread

crawrj

Nov 2, 2007
Ok so I rooted, installed the ota, flashed root, and that kernel. I got it booted up and got root checker it says I have root access. But I got a message warning me of a harmful app and need to reboot.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

EDIT. i just rebooted and the message is and it is still rooted.

OK apparently that is not just kernel related. I haven't tracked it down yet but I did flash completely stock MDC. I then installed Custom recovery and root. Right after I flashed just the rooted MDL system I started getting that. So it appears to have some kind of root checker in the system.

I am not sure yet though. I have been doing 12 things at once and haven't had any time to dig into it.

cidica

Aug 9, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Anyone know whats in this update? I'm rooted right now and not by a pc so not going to have time right now fo do it. But is there anything thats actually updated or is this just a trhing to stop root update?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

Anyone know whats in this update? I'm rooted right now and not by a pc so not going to have time right now fo do it. But is there anything thats actually updated or is this just a trhing to stop root update?

The Sprint site states that this release fixes an SMS issue and provides a new version of s-Health application. That's all.

Reactions: cidica

crawrj

Nov 2, 2007
Ok there is definitely something in system causing the security alert. I can flash the mdc stock rooted Rom and the alert goes away. Flash the mdl stock rooted Rom and the alert comes back. Happens every time. Will dig deeper when I get a chance.

MoHoGalore

May 24, 2012
Farmington
Ok there is definitely something in system causing the security alert. I can flash the mdc stock rooted Rom and the alert goes away. Flash the mdl stock rooted Rom and the alert comes back. Happens every time. Will dig deeper when I get a chance.

Hit Agat up. I know he was looking into it and only finding that the se app was the culprit. (If memory serves me correctly) Try freezing it and see what your results are.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

apexcell

Jan 14, 2013
The Sprint site states that this release fixes an SMS issue and provides a new version of s-Health application. That's all.

US Cellular just released theirs with some documentation today. I wonder if the Sprint one is roughly similar.

us-cellular-gs4-650x464.jpeg

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/0...ng-galaxy-s4-on-the-way-as-build-r970vxuamdl/

Reactions: jpkelly05

MoHoGalore

May 24, 2012
Farmington
I am waiting until the devs figure out what exactly this update does for root. I'm sure once its worked out, we will get an updated rooted ROM.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Seems that root isn't the issue anymore with the update rather than the annoying access msg. That's the hunt...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
This update got rid of my red hue on black backgrounds.

However, it added the purple blur issue

It also made it a lot smoother. I don't have to mess with my developer animation settings anymore

crawrj

Nov 2, 2007
Ok nag fix is posted in the OP of my MDL Rom Thread. I have broken my wifi and sdcard. It is 1:22am and it has been a long day. I am going to bed and will pick this up again in the morning. If anyone knows how to decompile the two files in the fix so we can try and find the difference that would be great.

opz187

Sep 30, 2012
Ok nag fix is posted in the OP of my MDL Rom Thread. I have broken my wifi and sdcard. It is 1:22am and it has been a long day. I am going to bed and will pick this up again in the morning. If anyone knows how to decompile the two files in the fix so we can try and find the difference that would be great.

Nice work buddy

Mudavo

Jun 10, 2010
Question: Since a kernel is not part of the rom, what kernel is recommended? or do I flash ontop of the MDC kernel?

*Edit Opps wrong thread.

Last edited:

reverepats

Dec 22, 2010
Boston,MA
Is there a safe flash zip for the ota yet?

I used crawrj's odex NO DATA WIPE zip, then flashed his NAG FIX zip and everything is fine. It just won't give you the new Radios. He's still working on the Modems. But it's been fine for me for 2 days so far. All done with OUDHS.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

TheNinja370

Nov 29, 2010
Thanks for the update. Gonna wait it out a bit before I do anything else.

DarqAnshin

Jan 13, 2011
So excuses my ignorance, but does this mean that at a software level the MDL patch now works with root, we would just have to update our own Radios at this time (ie via something like tasker?)

May 13, 2013
Odin doesn't work for me

I am a complete noob at this, although I successfully rooted my phone and got Titanium Backup and all that and thought I was rolling along nicely. Now I also downloaded Odin, which happens to not work for my S4. So how, or what, are you guys using or doing to flash ROMS?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is the OTA update zip.

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=22946563261203148
    d0c70dc593bdd729b14688a1be473102

http://tinyw.in/RwRh
    d0c70dc593bdd729b14688a1be473102
    The boot.img is in the update.zip already. Or do you still need it DD?

oh didnt know they included a full one. i didnt download the update.zip (doesnt do me any good :p )

ok recompiling now, seems only a minor edit in ramdisk but may be worthwhile to include it. new kernel is up at same old link :) crawj you have permission if youd like to include it in a odex/deodex'd rootable zip rom :D

k gimme about 40-50 mins and ill have a workaround. mind posting that config file btw?

you planning on doing a rooted odex/deodex'd rom?
    the update can be flashed by any recovery so long as you are stock enough. as in it doesnt care if you are rooted but more of if you removed maps.apk and it tries to update it with a patch the ota will fail.

my suggestion is flash ota, flash root, flash the kernel i compiled and youll be on latest ota with root :)
    This update got rid of my red hue on black backgrounds.

However, it added the purple blur issue

It also made it a lot smoother. I don't have to mess with my developer animation settings anymore