Question OTA problems, update options and full factory flash

Search This thread

G5-User7080

May 31, 2018
So for some reason the February update doesn't show up for my in system updates.
To update manually, is it better to download the ota from Google's site and flash that or the newest firmware and flash system?

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
So for some reason the February update doesn't show up for my in system updates.
To update manually, is it better to download the ota from Google's site and flash that or the newest firmware and flash system?
The safest way to update is by sideloading the OTA.

I assume your bootloader is not unlocked; if I am correct, flashing the factory image is not an option.

G5-User7080

May 31, 2018
The safest way to update is by sideloading the OTA.

I assume your bootloader is not unlocked; if I am correct, flashing the factory image is not an option.
Ah sorry for the lack of details.
I'm unlocked and rooted and pass safetynet / play attestation with safetynet-fix-mod by DisplaX

I found your guide about updating etc in the Pixel 6 forum, and since I didn't know if I could just take feb 06 OTA or if I had to flash all previous ones too I just went with the factory image method.

I updated with the same version as I'm running to see if it would offer me to OTA then et voila it does :)
After I finished updating and did fastboot boot magisk-patched-boot-image.img it did offer me to OTA even tho I failed safety-net / play attestation (probably since I didnt do magisk direct install yet and was just booting the rooted image)

Which made me wonder,.. are you supposed to uninstall magisk before you even click on "system update"?
I thought you just check for updates first and when it shows one you then uninstall magisk.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I'm unlocked and rooted and pass safetynet / play attestation with safetynet-fix-mod by DisplaX

I found your guide about updating etc in the Pixel 6 forum, and since I didn't know if I could just take feb 06 OTA or if I had to flash all previous ones too I just went with the factory image method.
Current updates have all the updates and fixes from previous releases
I updated with the same version as I'm running to see if it would offer me to OTA then et voila it does :)
After I finished updating and did fastboot boot magisk-patched-boot-image.img it did offer me to OTA even tho I failed safety-net / play attestation (probably since I didnt do magisk direct install yet and was just booting the rooted image)

Which made me wonder,.. are you supposed to uninstall magisk before you even click on "system update"?
I thought you just check for updates first and when it shows one you then uninstall magisk.
Automatic OTA is troublesome when rooted. You don't need to perform a complete uninstall in Magisk; just restore images before you take the update, and make sure that you go back into Magisk and patch the inactive slot before you reboot.

Reactions: G5-User7080

G5-User7080

May 31, 2018

Automatic OTA is troublesome when rooted. You don't need to perform a complete uninstall in Magisk; just restore images before you take the update, and make sure that you go back into Magisk and patch the inactive slot before you reboot.
yes, that restore original images thing is what I meant, I'm just sticking to the OTA guide from Magisk, thats why I booted the patched boot img and then direct installed through magisk too instead of just flashing it.

Just since I've never done an OTA update before Idk if it shows that updates are available with magisk installed.
Like, if the "restore images" before OTA refers to before I even click on Settings -> System update to check if theres an upate available or if I can like let it download first and then restore it before installation or smth.

It did show it for me now but that was directly after rebooting from updating with factory images, booting rooted boot image but it was before I even direct installed root through magisk.

Reactions: V0latyle

G5-User7080

May 31, 2018
@V0latyle
mhh alright... I'm never doing OTA's again.
restored original boot.img through magisk, let the ota do its thine, instead of restart I went to magisk again and did "install to inactive slot" then reboot from magisk.
Except that it just showed "This device is corrupted" and when I pressed continue I was staring at a google logo and nothing happened.

So in the end I had to use android flash tool and wipe my phone cause normal fastboot firmware install didn't work.
Now its working and rooted again but the "This device is corrupted" message doesn't go away.
I even relocked the bootloader through android flash tool before I unlocked it and rooted like normal, but it's still there.
Is that like an addition from the last update? Now whenever I reboot there are 2 screens I have to click away,.. the normal unlocked warning and the corrupted screen.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
@V0latyle
mhh alright... I'm never doing OTA's again.
restored original boot.img through magisk, let the ota do its thine, instead of restart I went to magisk again and did "install to inactive slot" then reboot from magisk.
Except that it just showed "This device is corrupted" and when I pressed continue I was staring at a google logo and nothing happened.

So in the end I had to use android flash tool and wipe my phone cause normal fastboot firmware install didn't work.
Shouldn't have had to do that. If this happens just reflash the boot image using ADB. If that doesn't work...
Now its working and rooted again but the "This device is corrupted" message doesn't go away.
Try sideloading the OTA. It appears that the "patch inactive slot" method in Magisk isn't working for everyone. Nothing is actually corrupt, the OTA update engine just isn't happy about something. Either way, wiping data shouldn't be necessary.
I even relocked the bootloader through android flash tool before I unlocked it and rooted like normal, but it's still there.
Don't EVER do this unless everything is 100% stock and the device has been fully wiped.
Is that like an addition from the last update? Now whenever I reboot there are 2 screens I have to click away,.. the normal unlocked warning and the corrupted screen.
Nope, both screens are part of the Android Boot Flow.

Since the inactive slot method didn't work, I suggest sideloading the OTA in the future. Do not interrupt the process or attempt to flash anything. Let the update complete normally and boot; you won't have root. Assuming you already have a Magisk patched boot image handy (it doesn't have to be current), you can then reboot to bootloader and live boot the patched image, then perform Direct Install in Magisk.

G5-User7080

May 31, 2018
Shouldn't have had to do that. If this happens just reflash the boot image using ADB. If that doesn't work...
welp.. I tried flashing matching (so newest) boot, didnt work
Try sideloading the OTA. It appears that the "patch inactive slot" method in Magisk isn't working for everyone. Nothing is actually corrupt, the OTA update engine just isn't happy about something. Either way, wiping data shouldn't be necessary.
you mean now? like after im factory reset & rooted I should sideload the same OTA again which I'm on right now?
Don't EVER do this unless everything is 100% stock and the device has been fully wiped.
Isn't that what android flash tool does?
wiping my device and install stock?
either way I wasnt running a custom rom and of course I don't relock it after I'm rooted.
Since the inactive slot method didn't work, I suggest sideloading the OTA in the future. Do not interrupt the process or attempt to flash anything. Let the update complete normally and boot; you won't have root. Assuming you already have a Magisk patched boot image handy (it doesn't have to be current), you can then reboot to bootloader and live boot the patched image, then perform Direct Install in Magisk.
So right now I should leave everything as is including the corrupted message, right?
Then when the next OTA comes I do nothing, keep root, no uninstall or restore through magisk, and I just download the newest OTA from google, and do the fastboot sideload thing?
It'll work even though my boot.img is rooted?
And then the OTA will remove root, I live boot my existing (eventually outdated) magisk patchet boot.img, then direct install as usual?

G5-User7080

May 31, 2018
Nothing is actually corrupt, the OTA update engine just isn't happy about something.
This is slightly frustrating,... thanks for telling my my device is corrupted and making me think its actually bricked... nice going google.
I'm gonna have so much fun doing all the device settings again, cause for some reason restoring google backup doesn't do that.
How would I not hate OTA's after this lol

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member

you mean now? like after im factory reset & rooted I should sideload the same OTA again which I'm on right now?
Yes. Sorry if it's confusing. The OTA update process can be a bit...sensitive.
Yes, but only if Wipe device is checked
So right now I should leave everything as is including the corrupted message, right?
Just sideload the OTA. It won't wipe anything and it can't possibly hurt anything.
Then when the next OTA comes I do nothing, keep root, no uninstall or restore through magisk, and I just download the newest OTA from google, and do the fastboot sideload thing?
Yes - when you update via system, it checks images for integrity before updating. Sideloading the OTA skips this and just overwrites the images. Doesn't affect user data.
And then the OTA will remove root, I live boot my existing (eventually outdated) magisk patchet boot.img, then direct install as usual?
Yep.
This is slightly frustrating,... thanks for telling my my device is corrupted and making me think its actually bricked... nice going google.
I'm gonna have so much fun doing all the device settings again, cause for some reason restoring google backup doesn't do that.
I can definitely understand the frustration. Suggestion: before you go nuclear next time and wipe your data, post here and see if someone might have a solution. I have a strong suspicion that simply sideloading the OTA would have cleared the corrupted message, you wouldn't have had to wipe data, and you could have just re-rooted. As the great Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy tells us, "Don't Panic!"

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Sideloading went without issue, message still there though, but at this point idec anymore, thanks for the help!
The corrupt message is?
Hmm. Sideload again. Reason being is the OTA always installs to the inactive slot, then switches to that slot. If you install the OTA twice, it installs to both slots. Example: you're on slot A. Install OTA -> slot B becomes active, Slot A hasn't been updated. Install OTA again, -> Slot A becomes active.

Just to make sure - you're using Magisk 25.2, yes?

G5-User7080

May 31, 2018
Latest release, yes.
No worky, was on slot a before, so it did ota and switched to b, b wasnt rooted, I rooted it through magisk, did the ota again, so it switched back to a, rebooted, a wasnt rooted as expected and the message was still there.
just to confirm that it actually switched and didnt like ota 2 times without switching, I switched back to b and it was rooted.
Can only guess it only works if the ota actually installs anything, i mean im already on february 5th on both slots.
So I'll try again next month.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Latest release, yes.
No worky, was on slot a before, so it did ota and switched to b, b wasnt rooted, I rooted it through magisk, did the ota again, so it switched back to a, rebooted, a wasnt rooted as expected and the message was still there.
just to confirm that it actually switched and didnt like ota 2 times without switching, I switched back to b and it was rooted.
Can only guess it only works if the ota actually installs anything, i mean im already on february 5th on both slots.
The message should disappear when you update the OS next month.

frank93

Oct 16, 2010
Berlin
Google Pixel 7a
what works best for me (!) is downloading the whole factory image, extracting boot.img, patching it using magisk, transferring it back to the pc, and there editing flash-all.bat so it doesn’t wipe data (!) and adding one line to flash the new boot.img directly at the end. reboot to bootloader, run flash-all, done.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
hi, umm so this isn't really something for any thread, I just have some questions.

Is it possible to force a full factory flash?
Cause I assume running flash-all.bat from the factory image or using android flash tool does not do that, as it only uses the fastboot update command.
Well, Idk what exactly fastboot update does, but from my old phone I remember that the script to flash stock contains a lot of flash commands for every partition, e.g. fastboot flash boot, fastboot flash system, etc.
So maybe that warning would go away after actually flashing the entire rom over it.

Also while data was wiped at least 2 times, there are three apps that I accidentally disabled a few days ago, and or some reason I couldnt re-enable them, and the weird thing is they are still disabled..
Then for some reason when I restored the google backup after the wipe it didn't apply my settings and only downloaded my apps.
And now I found another thing, sometimes my screen doesnt turn off after the set timeout, only when charging tho, but stay awake in dev settings isnt on..
Additionally the battery level is inconsistent and suddenly jumps up or down a few percent, but the kernel reported level (measured with ACCA) stays consistent, so its not really an issue.
I'll try resetting all app permissions and if that doesnt work all settings i guess, but I really have no clue what mightve caused this.
Especially since none of those happened before wipe / OTA and I only re-installed my apps, loaded their settings from backups and clicked through the settings app.
No new modules or any root quirks.

I'm glad its just my phone, I only really use it for social media and and umm music ig so its not really that much work to set up again, only really annoying thing is to click through everything in settings cause theres no way to back that up meh.
@G5-User7080 I'm bringing this to public as discussed in PM.

Yes, you can force a full factory flash. Yes, the flash-all script and the Android Flash Tool both do this - they flash bootloader, radio, and all OS partitions. If you want to be really thorough, you can check the "Force flash all partitions" checkbox, this also requires a data wipe.

I'm not sure why system apps would remain disabled following a data wipe.

The Google One backup isn't able to back up everything. It cannot back up application data, and it does not back up all system settings.

Regarding the screen, I've noticed the opposite with my Pixel 5. I have "Stay Awake" turned off, but despite having my screen timeout set for 1 minute, it turns off and locks after about 15 seconds.

Battery...Not sure what to tell you.

Consumer electronics are cantankerous beasts indeed and fraught with gremlins.

G5-User7080

May 31, 2018
@G5-User7080 I'm bringing this to public as discussed in PM.

Yes, you can force a full factory flash. Yes, the flash-all script and the Android Flash Tool both do this - they flash bootloader, radio, and all OS partitions. If you want to be really thorough, you can check the "Force flash all partitions" checkbox, this also requires a data wipe.

I'm not sure why system apps would remain disabled following a data wipe.

The Google One backup isn't able to back up everything. It cannot back up application data, and it does not back up all system settings.

Regarding the screen, I've noticed the opposite with my Pixel 5. I have "Stay Awake" turned off, but despite having my screen timeout set for 1 minute, it turns off and locks after about 15 seconds.

Battery...Not sure what to tell you.

Consumer electronics are cantankerous beasts indeed and fraught with gremlins.
I couldnt think of any other way that some apps retain their disabled state, as well as why would the corrupted message stay even after full stock / full OTA on both slots.
Only thing I can think of is that fastboot update does not overwrite partitions that are already the same version.

Do you think enforcing all partitions flash would get rid of the corrupted warning as well?

As for the google one backup,.. it said it would restore settings, even if its not all of them,.. i dont think it restored any.
sound, display, permissions, gestures, gboard, etc, was all different.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I couldnt think of any other way that some apps retain their disabled state, as well as why would the corrupted message stay even after full stock / full OTA on both slots.
Only thing I can think of is that fastboot update does not overwrite partitions that are already the same version.
Pretty sure it does. I could be wrong.
Do you think enforcing all partitions flash would get rid of the corrupted warning as well?
In theory, yes. Google hasn't exactly released any in depth documentation for the Android Flash Tool. Note that force flashing all partitions will include a data wipe but it's worth a try
As for the google one backup,.. it said it would restore settings, even if its not all of them,.. i dont think it restored any.
sound, display, permissions, gestures, gboard, etc, was all different.
Only thing I can think of is you might have selected a backup that was incomplete or something. Google One takes "snapshots" every once in a while, including after you've signed into Google on your device.

Otherwise, the backup just didn't restore completely?

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Fastboot does but I don't think Android Flash Tool does unless you select "Force Flash Partitions".

I'm pretty sure the information part of "Force Flash Partitions" says "Flash all partitions that are part of the build even if they are up to date (e.g. bootloader, radio) as well as force a wipe".

At least this language leaves me to believe that that Android Flash Tool won't overwrite partitions that are already up-to-date unless you select "Force Flash Partitions".

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fastboot does but I don't think Android Flash Tool does unless you select "Force Flash Partitions".

I'm pretty sure the information part of "Force Flash Partitions" says "Flash all partitions that are part of the build even if they are up to date (e.g. bootloader, radio) as well as force a wipe".

At least this language leaves me to believe that that Android Flash Tool won't overwrite partitions that are already up-to-date unless you select "Force Flash Partitions".

yes, that restore original images thing is what I meant, I'm just sticking to the OTA guide from Magisk, thats why I booted the patched boot img and then direct installed through magisk too instead of just flashing it.

Just since I've never done an OTA update before Idk if it shows that updates are available with magisk installed.
    Like, if the "restore images" before OTA refers to before I even click on Settings -> System update to check if theres an upate available or if I can like let it download first and then restore it before installation or smth.

It did show it for me now but that was directly after rebooting from updating with factory images, booting rooted boot image but it was before I even direct installed root through magisk.

Yes. Sorry if it's confusing. The OTA update process can be a bit...sensitive.
    Yes, but only if Wipe device is checked
    Just sideload the OTA. It won't wipe anything and it can't possibly hurt anything.
    Yes - when you update via system, it checks images for integrity before updating. Sideloading the OTA skips this and just overwrites the images. Doesn't affect user data.
    Yep.
    I can definitely understand the frustration. Suggestion: before you go nuclear next time and wipe your data, post here and see if someone might have a solution. I have a strong suspicion that simply sideloading the OTA would have cleared the corrupted message, you wouldn't have had to wipe data, and you could have just re-rooted. As the great Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy tells us, "Don't Panic!"
    Latest release, yes.
    The message should disappear when you update the OS next month.