OTA sideload vs factory image

Search This thread

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Orange County, California
Noob question, but what is the difference between side loading the OTA and downloading the factory image ? Generally whenever a new version is online for the factory images, I have downloaded then flashed via fastboot. If I have stock recovery (I don't right now), but if I did, I put the OTA zip in the internal storage then use the stock recovery to side load OTA ?

Are these basically doing the same thing ?

Charkatak

Aug 11, 2012
WA
Noob question, but what is the difference between side loading the OTA and downloading the factory image ? Generally whenever a new version is online for the factory images, I have downloaded then flashed via fastboot. If I have stock recovery (I don't right now), but if I did, I put the OTA zip in the internal storage then use the stock recovery to side load OTA ?

The factory image is a full image, where as OTA is the update to the current version your phone already has and OTAs are normally smaller in size. I personally would use factory image if I want to flash the whole thing because of some issues that the phone may have. If you don't have any issues, then you could wait for an OTA update or side load it, as you mentioned in your example.

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
The factory image is a full image, where as OTA is the update to the current version your phone already has and OTAs are normally smaller in size. I personally would use factory image if I want to flash the whole thing because of some issues that the phone may have. If you don't have any issues, then you could wait for an OTA update or side load it, as you mentioned in your example.

If I were to sideload with TWRP will my data be wiped and do I need to reflash TWRP ? I've never done a ADB sideload before I've always just reloaded the factory image so I'm not familiar with the process

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
I got my Nexus 5X to properly sideload, but I keep having problems with the Pixel. Keeps saying error no devices/emulator found. Fastboot and adb reboot bootloader commands work on my phone.

Using twrp rc1 adb sideload feature. It just occurred to me it may be a twrp issue.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone