[OTA][SOAK TEST] Android 7.1.1 for Moto G Play (XT1603)

Search This thread

EmersonTR

Jan 24, 2016
São Paulo
You need to be using the stock rom with the february security patch update (MPIS24.241-15.3-16), you can get it here and flash it throught adb fastboot or RSDlite.

Download the OTA archive here and copy to the internal storage

Go to the stock recovery

Power off your Android phone
Press and hold down the power button and the volume down button for 3 to 4 seconds then release (You should be in the fastboot mode now)
Use the volume down button to scroll down the options and use the volume up to select.
Scroll down to Recovery with the volume down and use the volume up button to select “recovery”
The android robot logo sleeping with a red mark will display with message “no command”
Now hold the power button and press the volume up button to enter recovery mode screen.

Now select "Apply update from SD card" select the ota archive (With the Power Button), wait the installation finish.

WARNING: A hardbrick will ocur only if you try install a bootloader older than the installed on the device. If you already installed the stock with may security patch, you can install the stock with february security patch and update using the ota archive, but the ota archive will update the bootloader, so if you want install the stock with february again, you will not be able to update to the rom stock 6.0.1 with may security patch via ota.

You can use the flashable TWRP zip created by @Q9Nap here

Moto G Play Variants tested (XT1601 - by @yochiwarez, XT1603 - me, XT1604 - by @ruh01, XT1607 - by @Q9Nap)

Last edited:

EmersonTR

Jan 24, 2016
São Paulo
Screenshots
nwK22Uq.png

xpRH7i3.png

hQWrogZ.png

JTd9jrf.png

Reactions: Fanttato

EmersonTR

Jan 24, 2016
São Paulo
It can't get hard bricked if I remove the bootloader flashing part of the script and use a kernel to boot it, or am I wrong?

The hardbrick will ocur only if you try install a bootloader older than the installed on the device. If you already installed the stock with may security patch, you can install the stock with february security patch and update using the ota archive, but the ota archive will update the bootloader, so if you want install the stock with february again, you will not be able to update to the rom stock 6.0.1 with may security patch via ota.

Last edited:

Q9Nap

Feb 13, 2009

angelomeendez

Jul 10, 2017
It's necessary unlock bootloader? I'm new in this world

You need to be using the stock rom with the february security patch update (MPIS24.241-15.3-16), you can get it here and flash it throught adb fastboot or RSDlite.

Go to the stock recovery

Now select "Apply update from SD card" select the ota archive (With the Power Button), wait the installation finish.

WARNING: A hardbrick will ocur only if you try install a bootloader older than the installed on the device. If you already installed the stock with may security patch, you can install the stock with february security patch and update using the ota archive, but the ota archive will update the bootloader, so if you want install the stock with february again, you will not be able to update to the rom stock 6.0.1 with may security patch via ota.

You can use the flasheable TWRP zip created by @Q9Nap here

Moto G Play Variants tested (XT1601 - by @yochiwarez, XT1603 - me, XT1604 - by @ruh01, XT1607 - by @Q9Nap)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Go to the stock recovery

Power off your Android phone
    Press and hold down the power button and the volume down button for 3 to 4 seconds then release (You should be in the fastboot mode now)
    Use the volume down button to scroll down the options and use the volume up to select.
    Scroll down to Recovery with the volume down and use the volume up button to select “recovery”
    The android robot logo sleeping with a red mark will display with message “no command”
    Now hold the power button and press the volume up button to enter recovery mode screen.

You can use the flashable TWRP zip created by @Q9Nap here

Thanks @EmersonTR for sharing the soak test and linking the base fxz :)

I have taken the liberty of making a twrp flashable zip of this new build to make it much easier to upgrade; it can be found here:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/g4...-fastboots-t3554840/post70987395#post70987395

It is tested on my xt1607 and seems to be working flawlessly.

Enjoy, and please remember to hit the "thanks" button if it helps you!
    About 24 hours after the update, a few observations about how it is performing on my G4 Play XT1600.
    - VLC for Android had erratic behavior when connecting to my home network (wifi) to access media files stored in my desktop computer. Sometimes the list would not show at all and sometimes it took several seconds to to show the list. I uninstalled and reinstalled VLC and it is back to normal.
    - sometimes I feel there is a little more lag when updating web pages
    - scrolling and animation effects when opening/closing apps seem to have more lag
    - I was very happy with Greenify before (in my case, I was getting about 16 hours of battery). Now with the aggressive doze of Android 7.1.1 + aggressive doze of Greenify, it seems I will get several more hours of battery
    - I did not like the new round icons for some Google products, camera, phone, etc. The new icon for Gmaps is round without the white background; when I open the Gmaps App it shows a square icon in the opening screen. Now some apps have their icons inside a white round icon, which makes them appear smaller. Would like to revert them back to the previous design.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CROrDsZyG-lA-fi4FnbX5TpUYytcoPT8rQ/view?usp=sharing

- In Google photos, the sync of the Videos folder was disabled after the update (I am sure it was enabled before the update)

- I highly recommend that after the update you go to the "Device Help" app to learn about what's new in the 7.1.1
    It can't get hard bricked if I remove the bootloader flashing part of the script and use a kernel to boot it, or am I wrong?

The hardbrick will ocur only if you try install a bootloader older than the installed on the device. If you already installed the stock with may security patch, you can install the stock with february security patch and update using the ota archive, but the ota archive will update the bootloader, so if you want install the stock with february again, you will not be able to update to the rom stock 6.0.1 with may security patch via ota.
    and xt1602? (EU Dual SIM variant)

Works on XT1602 bought from Amazon in Italy
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone