[OTA-UPDATE] June security patch [2017] [NPJS25.93-14-8] is out

Search This thread

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
So ,it's for non plus variant only ?...

No - this patch is for both G4 and G4 Plus variants, but this patch is from the June 2017 security patch (i.e. last year as of writing this). At the moment, there is no newer patch than NPJS25.93-14-18 (April 2018 security patch). If you're on NPJS25.93-14-18, you shouldn't be receiving this patch as it's too old.

Langpang

Jul 1, 2018
No - this patch is for both G4 and G4 Plus variants, but this patch is from the June 2017 security patch (i.e. last year as of writing this). At the moment, there is no newer patch than NPJS25.93-14-18 (April 2018 security patch). If you're on NPJS25.93-14-18, you shouldn't be receiving this patch as it's too old.
Oho !!! I didn't saw "2017" ...... Anyway ,thanx for your reply .

zeroibis

Jun 23, 2011
I recently installed this update on a phone and it basically broke the phone. I am looking for any advice on how to fix.

1) The phone is 100% stock it is not rooted and is/was not running a custom ROM
2) After the update the phone will crash if it connects to a cell network. If you turn on airplane mode you can use the phone as long as you want. You can also get on and us WiFi. If you turn airplane mode off the phone will work up until the moment before it connects and then it restarts.
3) I have tried to clear the cache via recovery and that did not resolve the issue.
4) I have tried to do a factory reset via recovery and that did not resolve the issue.

Is there anything else I can do or should try?

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
I recently installed this update on a phone and it basically broke the phone. I am looking for any advice on how to fix.

1) The phone is 100% stock it is not rooted and is/was not running a custom ROM
2) After the update the phone will crash if it connects to a cell network. If you turn on airplane mode you can use the phone as long as you want. You can also get on and us WiFi. If you turn airplane mode off the phone will work up until the moment before it connects and then it restarts.
3) I have tried to clear the cache via recovery and that did not resolve the issue.
4) I have tried to do a factory reset via recovery and that did not resolve the issue.

Is there anything else I can do or should try?

Hmm, I'd recommend a re-flash of the firmware. You could look into flashing the latest April 2018 firmware, NPJS25.93-14-18 and see if that fixes your issues. https://xdaforums.com/moto-g4-plus/how-to/stock-rom-npjs25-93-14-4-march-1-t3608138 The NPJS25.93-14-8 June 2017 patch is pretty old by comparison.

zeroibis

Jun 23, 2011
Hmm, I'd recommend a re-flash of the firmware. You could look into flashing the latest April 2018 firmware, NPJS25.93-14-18 and see if that fixes your issues. https://xdaforums.com/moto-g4-plus/how-to/stock-rom-npjs25-93-14-4-march-1-t3608138 The NPJS25.93-14-8 June 2017 patch is pretty old by comparison.

Oh woops, I thought this was the thread for the 2018 patch!

So it looks like the possible solution is to download the patch and reapply it?

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
Oh woops, I thought this was the thread for the 2018 patch!

So it looks like the possible solution is to download the patch and reapply it?

There is no June 2018 security patch present at the moment. The latest patch for G4/Plus devices is the April 2018 security patch.

You could try to re-download the NPJS25.93-14-18 security patch via OTA/sideloading, though I would consider a full firmware flash from that previous link to make sure your device is clean. If you want to try to keep your data, omit the OEM locking commands and the fastboot erase userdata command. As always, back up your device before flashing anything.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New update for Moto G4/4+ started rolling (NPJS25.93-14-8). It has 56MB and it contains the 1st June 2017 security patch.

You can download it from here and install it by flashing it from SD card or sideloading it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_CvjgZQDGNDNFNIME5XNjRubFE/view
    A few other things to note about this update:

Looks to require NPJS25.93-14-4 (the March 2017 v7.0 update) to install from (that fastboot update is here if you need it: https://xdaforums.com/moto-g4-plus/how-to/stock-rom-npjs25-93-14-4-march-1-t3608138 )

Bootloader updated to B1.06 (March 2017 had B1.05) - I imagine this fixes the critical security vulnerability as noted in the May 2017 security update (CVE-2016-10277 https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2017-05-01#eop-in-motorola-bootloader ) EDIT - it seems that once this patch is flashed, downgrading your device (especially when flashing the GPT/bootloader from an older stock ROM) may well risk bricking your device! This brick may also occur if you downgrade from this build without flashing GPT/bootloader and then install an OTA. Be aware.

Boot animation now has 'Motorola, a Lenovo company' at the bottom (not sure if that was there previously) when the logo flips from Lenovo to the M symbol.

IMEI SV seems to be changed to 9 (think it used to be 8).

New logo seems to appear when charging with the device off (before the battery gauge appears)?

Also, if your OTA download is in your Download folder, when you're in stock recovery, I had issues trying to 'apply update via SD card'. Seems that 'mount /system' allowed me to navigate to the Download directory (don't know if that applies to everyone).

I was previously rooted on the March update with magisk v13 and ElementalX. I attempted to revert back to stock by:
    Booting back into TWRP
    Using the magisk uninstaller (https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445)
    Reboot to bootloader
    Then using the following commands in adb to flash a stock NPJS25.93-14-4 boot and recovery image.
    Code:
     fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

However, upon trying to flash the OTA in the stock recovery, I encountered an error 7 (I think it was failing to load or verify system).

Flashing the following partitions from the NPJS25.93-14-4 stock ROM allowed me to flash the OTA in the stock recovery without erasing my data (bear in mind I was already fully updated to NPJS25.93-14-4 before rooting. I've also got a TWRP backup and Titanium backups to fall back to.) This should not affect your data, but ensure you have your data backed up regardless (always good practice when flashing anything that touches your system). I am not sure if all these partitions are required to flash the OTA if you were previously rooted. As always, if you're using these commands to roll back to stock from a rooted stock system, be prepared to factory reset if your system is not stable.
    Code:
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash dsp adspso.bin
    fastboot flash oem oem.img
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.7
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot reboot

Now I'm on the June 1 2017 update on a retgb XT1642 :D Thanks @georgeiulian89

Now to try and root this build :)
    Would it make any issue if I have my device with a different kernel than the stock one? For rooting it I had to flash Elemental-X kernel (Moto G4 Plus).
    Thanks.

For flashing the OTA, you must flash to stock Nougat rom (including kernel), otherwise the phone will enter in bootloop. After you install the OTA, you can flash the EX kernel and root it again.
    Yes, I was able to install the OTA. I am now on the June security update. Thank you for the fastboot commands to get me back to stock unrooted.

One question. I was able to go back to fully stock, because I had the ATHENE_AMZ_NPJS25.93-14-4 stock image. I want to root and install Elemental X kernel on the phone again. Since I don't have the ATHENE_AMZ_NPJS25.93-14-5 stock image, then I wont be able to go back to stock for the next OTA. Flashing stock recovery and boot wont bring it back to stock only, right? I did flash stock recovery and boot and I could not do the OTA, until I flashed the system files with the fastboot commands you provided.

How I can backup the files needed to go back to stock next time I need to update?

Thanks again

As far as I know, as of writing you are correct - because of there being no stock image for NPJ25.93-14-5, you may not be able to roll back to full stock (though a fastboot ROM might come out in future). Even if you flashed stock recovery and stock boot, your system may still be detected as modified so an OTA may not work (I recently read that OTA updates check if your system is modified, even if it's simply read only or read-write, the read-write conferred by allowing TWRP to make modifications could cause an OTA to fail More info here: https://twrp.me/site/update/2015/06/22/twrp-2.8.7.0-released.html .)

One way to possibly get around this, though I've not tried it is:
    1)Boot your device in TWRP. This should ensure you keep your recovery stock. Do not 'swipe to allow modifications'
    2)Backup your device (the normal choices of partitions should suffice), make a note of this being a clean, read-only copy of your system and device. You may wish to transfer this backup to your computer.
    3)Reboot to TWRP again, this time swipe to allow modifications (making your system read-write).
    Flash ElementalX and root as before.

Thus, the theory is that to restore back to stock ready for a future OTA, you'd revert back to your backup you made above in step 2 once you've booted into TWRP. This should reflash a clean, read-only copy of your kernel and system. As you've still got your original recovery by booting into TWRP, your system should be stock enough for an OTA to be happy. Of course, rebooting back into TWRP requires a computer, which might get a little annoying depending on how often you flash. Again, I've not tried this but it likely should work. Good luck though.
    I know this might get me blasted with read research but I can't seem to find it....how the f@#$_ do you get into stock recovery? Power button vol up?!!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using XDA-Developers Legacy app

First of all power off your device and enter to the bootloader (power + vol-) , then, search for recovery (with the volume buttons), and select it with the power button.

You will boot into recovery, and it's going to display an Android robot image saying "No command". Press POWER button for 2 seconds and without release it, press VOLUME+ button.

Easy way: enable developer options (in settings, by touching repeatedly 'build number' in 'about the phone').
    Into developer options enable USB debugging, and with ADB (device connected to pc, obviously) type: