• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question OTA Updates failing with, "partition superReason SUPER: Build-id does not match with the reference"

Search This thread

CBH60

Jun 13, 2021
**Solved posting update in thread.

Purchased S21+ from Samsung online for Verizon Network, every OTA update since purchase results in it failing to the downloading screen with "
partition super Reason SUPER: Build-id does not match with the reference" I have been able to resurrect it successfully by entering the recovery mode and performing a factory reset. But each OTA update push results in the same issue.

Samsung wants me to either send them the phone or take to a repair location for a software refresh as they called it. Problem is nearest repair center is 3+ hours away from me or 5-7 day turn around on the mailed device with no backup phone.

Has anyone else encountered this and does anyone here have a solution to fix this myself? I am comfortable using Odin and flashing roms but not sure if this will fix it.

Last edited:

CBH60

Jun 13, 2021
Ok so the problem seems to have been resolved. Here's what I did to fix it.

Downloaded the current firmware I had before the update from Sammobile.com. Using Odin I installed the firmware I was currently on. I had done this before on the last update that failed. But this time I gave it the user data info and did use the Home CSC in an effort to reset everything.

Phone came back online functioning normally with everything wiped. I connected to WiFi and let the first of 2 updates download then run. Success 🙌. First OTA that's been successful on the phone. Then went for update #2. Failed, but rebooted this time and gave me an Error 402. Tried again a little later, same WiFi. It redownloaded the update and success again.
So it seems it needs a very very stable internet connection and the full wipe fixed the build id mismatch.
Also before attempting updates highly recommend having all your 2FA accounts either backed up, a second authenticator on another device or turned off. Its a real PITA to get back into all your accounts when your authenticator app gets wiped unexpectedly.

Hope this helps someone else!

Top Liked Posts