• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[OTG USB] Using OTG cable and charging at the same time - SOLVED 29.08.12

Search This thread

bascho

Oct 2, 2010
Lenovo A3500H

First sorry for my English.
Hi I am solderig all day without success . A can not start OTG and charging at the same time on my Lenovo A3500H. I tried with 36k Ohm, 100k Ohm, 200k Ohm. Does someone make it work for lenovo device ? I used this
url
. Tommorow I think to put and one 1N4001 on the red wire between phone and device. But accept ideas.

webmaven

Dec 12, 2012
40k resistor

Can you provide a link to Amazon for the correct resistor?

This is what I found its 40.2k ohm 1/4watt 1%. would this work?
http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Film-Re...455290937&sr=8-10&keywords=40.2k+ohm+resistor

Or would 3 of these work 10kohm 1/2watt?
https://www.radioshack.com/products...-carbon-film-resistor-pk-5?variant=5717282565

You don't indicate what the watts should be.

Thanks

Hey there.

So, I tried to make some OTG cable....
I used 40,2K ohm resistor to achieve state "ADC_SMARTDOCK= 0x10, /* 0x10000 40.2K ohm */" SMARTDOCK, which allows charging and OTg at the same time. It works brilliantly. With this mode your mobile phone can't be discharged, because, when you disconnect the "power supply", the cable loses power and USB shuts down, so it doesn't work as normal OTG and can't work like that.

So... here is how I've done it.
I took standard Samsung power cable and connected the fifth and fourth pin on cable (SENSE and GROUND) with 40k ohm resistor. In local shop, they had only 39k resistor, so I bought 1k extra and soldered them together. (see pictures below). Then I took female USB connector (i used the one for circuit boards) and soldered it on the cable. (look at scheme, I tried my best in MS paint).

When you plug the cable in mobile, it switches after like... 3 seconds to the "DOCK MODE" and voilá, you have achieved what u wanted.

Ask any questions if you need something.

Last edited:

Ereniemis

Apr 6, 2013
Brno
Can you provide a link to Amazon for the correct resistor?

This is what I found its 40.2k ohm 1/4watt 1%. would this work?
http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Film-Re...455290937&sr=8-10&keywords=40.2k+ohm+resistor

Or would 3 of these work 10kohm 1/2watt?
https://www.radioshack.com/products...-carbon-film-resistor-pk-5?variant=5717282565

You don't indicate what the watts should be.

Thanks

Hello,
Personally, I would go with the 40,2k from amazon, because it has significantly higher precision. 5% at 10k (that's range from 9,5 - 10,5, and it can be completely out of the way with 4 in a serie). I've never bothered with the 'wattage', because it doesn't have any impact in my opinion.

EDIT: I've solved all my needs with this (it has even hdmi and card reader so...) http://www.ebay.com/itm/5in1-MHL-HD...330086?hash=item58cae817a6:g:4CwAAOSw9N1VzLeQ
And yeah, it recharges the phone aswell.

Last edited:

webmaven

Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for getting back to me. The other device is too big. I need something very, very small. I work for a museum and need to connect a tablet to power as well as an Arduino board. All this needs to fit and a small frame.

Thanks

Hello,
Personally, I would go with the 40,2k from amazon, because it has significantly higher precision. 5% at 10k (that's range from 9,5 - 10,5, and it can be completely out of the way with 4 in a serie). I've never bothered with the 'wattage', because it doesn't have any impact in my opinion.

EDIT: I've solved all my needs with this (it has even hdmi and card reader so...) http://www.ebay.com/itm/5in1-MHL-HD...330086?hash=item58cae817a6:g:4CwAAOSw9N1VzLeQ
And yeah, it recharges the phone aswell.

sativa123

Feb 13, 2016
phone crashing because of bad otg connection

Thank you sonic boom, your technique is working for my device, which is a Logicom S450 (french brand, not very well-known). I had to use a 100 k-ohms resistor, and the adapter I modified is a Samsung U2. To get internet on my smartphone, I have to use an android app simply named Ethernet. However I cannot use the system because the connection with the otg cable is not very good and each time it disconnects from the smartphone, it causes the device to crash and I have to reboot it. Would someone have a solution for this ? The only idea I have at the moment is to find a micro-usb extension cable which would have a good connection with my smartphone, but this cable should have connected five pins connectors at both ends and it doesn't seem such a cable exist, so any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Ereniemis

Apr 6, 2013
Brno
Thank you sonic boom, your technique is working for my device, which is a Logicom S450 (french brand, not very well-known). I had to use a 100 k-ohms resistor, and the adapter I modified is a Samsung U2. To get internet on my smartphone, I have to use an android app simply named Ethernet. However I cannot use the system because the connection with the otg cable is not very good and each time it disconnects from the smartphone, it causes the device to crash and I have to reboot it. Would someone have a solution for this ? The only idea I have at the moment is to find a micro-usb extension cable which would have a good connection with my smartphone, but this cable should have connected five pins connectors at both ends and it doesn't seem such a cable exist, so any help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure with your device, but for example for SGS IV the MHL HDMI cables have 11 pin connectors, and I think, that pretty much all the pins on the connector are wired, but it's pretty expensive to buy some sort of this cable or adapter just because you need the cable... The price starts at around 10$ on ebay.

Reactions: sativa123

sativa123

Feb 13, 2016
I'm not sure with your device, but for example for SGS IV the MHL HDMI cables have 11 pin connectors, and I think, that pretty much all the pins on the connector are wired, but it's pretty expensive to buy some sort of this cable or adapter just because you need the cable... The price starts at around 10$ on ebay.

Thanks Ereniemis, it's true it's a bit expensive considering I don't even know if it would work, but it looks like a good option and I will consider it. I would need a MHL adapter with a 5 pin connector and I saw one on amazon. If I try, I will send a feedback to tell if it worked.

EDIT : After having searched for more informations on the web, I'm not sure at all that MHL cables have 5 wired pins... I really don't know if what I am looking for exists, I can't find informations about that. If sonic boom has used a standard micro usb connector, I suppose that's because he didn't find a better cable either.

Last edited:

Ereniemis

Apr 6, 2013
Brno
Thanks Ereniemis, it's true it's a bit expensive considering I don't even know if it would work, but it looks like a good option and I will consider it. I would need a MHL adapter with a 5 pin connector and I saw one on amazon. If I try, I will send a feedback to tell if it worked.

EDIT : After having searched for more informations on the web, I'm not sure at all that MHL cables have 5 wired pins... I really don't know if what I am looking for exists, I can't find informations about that. If sonic boom has used a standard micro usb connector, I suppose that's because he didn't find a better cable either.

You didn't say, how is your cable wired at this time, when it 'disconnects a lot'. Personally, I took the original Samsung cable, which has pretty good connection and I've soldered extra wire to the 5th pin and the connection was strong enough. Maybe just try to get a good cable and solder it again?

sativa123

Feb 13, 2016
You didn't say, how is your cable wired at this time, when it 'disconnects a lot'. Personally, I took the original Samsung cable, which has pretty good connection and I've soldered extra wire to the 5th pin and the connection was strong enough. Maybe just try to get a good cable and solder it again?

Yes you're right, it seems what I am looking for doesn't exist so I think I will just try again with a Samsung cable. I just disassembled the connector to look what I did and it doesn't seem very clean so the problem could simply come from short circuits due to bad soldering... It's quite a precise job. I thought it came from the type of connector itself because I am used to bad connection with some otg models, but I could be wrong.

Ereniemis

Apr 6, 2013
Brno
Yes you're right, it seems what I am looking for doesn't exist so I think I will just try again with a Samsung cable. I just disassembled the connector to look what I did and it doesn't seem very clean so the problem could simply come from short circuits due to bad soldering... It's quite a precise job. I thought it came from the type of connector itself because I am used to bad connection with some otg models, but I could be wrong.

With my phone (SGS4) I had problem with the phone connector, I ordered the micro USB to HDMI cable but the connection between phone and cable wasn't good, whenever I picked up the phone from table the connection was lost, so I've bought on ebay new "phone connector" for me it is http://www.ebay.com/itm/29163991572...49&var=590673280042&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
for 5$ and the cable works flawlessly. Maybe the problem can be also there, but I would start with resoldering the cable :)

sativa123

Feb 13, 2016
With my phone (SGS4) I had problem with the phone connector, I ordered the micro USB to HDMI cable but the connection between phone and cable wasn't good, whenever I picked up the phone from table the connection was lost, so I've bought on ebay new "phone connector" for me it is http://www.ebay.com/itm/29163991572...49&var=590673280042&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
for 5$ and the cable works flawlessly. Maybe the problem can be also there, but I would start with resoldering the cable :)

If I had to change the phone connector, I think I could hardly find one as my phone is quite rare...

Anyway, I resoldered the cable and bought a new usb-ethernet adapter, it looks like it works perfectly well now :victory: I am pleased, I really wanted it, it's like I have a second computer now. I wonder if some day the phone makers will be nice enough to add such a simple and useful possibility. But maybe too many people prefer wifi, unfortunately.

Ereniemis

Apr 6, 2013
Brno
If I had to change the phone connector, I think I could hardly find one as my phone is quite rare...

Anyway, I resoldered the cable and bought a new usb-ethernet adapter, it looks like it works perfectly well now :victory: I am pleased, I really wanted it, it's like I have a second computer now. I wonder if some day the phone makers will be nice enough to add such a simple and useful possibility. But maybe too many people prefer wifi, unfortunately.

Good job!

spon901

Feb 28, 2008
I have an Onda V711 clone using AMLOGIC 8726-MX CPU. I tried to use OTG and charge in same time but without luck. I tried using resitor between pin 4 of microUSB and GND using values from 0 Ohm ti 100 KOgm, but it did not work.
Until around 10 K OTG works, but no charge, after OTG not works anymore but it charge. I assume something should be changed in the kernel as well, but I have no idea what and also don't have firmware source for this tablet .
The firmware is 4.1.1
Does anyone have luck with AMLogic tablets?

madhogg

Aug 13, 2014
Hi. I want to add GPS dongle to my Ulefone Be X (chinaphone, android 4.4.2) and charge at the same time. I have read this thread i got me a variable resistor and some usb cabels and determined that at a value of 32kohm -> 100kohm - charges and at a value of 0kohm -> 31kohm USB OTG is active. I have to mention that the two states are not simultaneous. When charging starts otg stops.

Isn`t there a filme in the android system wich defines at what resistence it charges and at what resistence its otg?

Thank you!

RenChon

Jul 9, 2016
Work on Redmi Note 3 Pro (Kenzo), im using (100k) potentiometer, manual adjusted until get charge and otg at same time.
The problem is power, only get arround 200mA. And stop charging at 47% batt. I'll try using 2 power input, hope it will fully work.

RenChon

Jul 9, 2016
Yap, now i can fully charge my phone, but still slow. Maybe better to use resistor, i have no idea about electronic part. How to check my current potentiometer value? I only have cheapest multimeter.
4x port usb hub - 500mA input.
Phone - stock charger.

igor 320

May 6, 2018
This video shows how to make an OTG + Charging with a Micro USB. Is it possible to make the same thing with a USB Type-C ? My phone has an OTG-host function, so it should work. I just don't understand how to make for a USB-C. Thanks!

youtube.com/watch?v=pH895umr0UA&t=8m43s

//

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE 30/08/2012

For "daily" updates, tutorials more videos visit my website

https://sites.google.com/site/sonicboomworld

Added more diagrams and pictures on my website --> https://sites.google.com/site/sonicboomworld/my-projects/otg-diagrams
    Don't forget to check NEWS as well : --> https://sites.google.com/site/sonicboomworld/

OLD POST - HOW I STARTED

Firstly hi all

Secondly i want describe myself as a person who has only little knowledge about electronics etc. Also i am very busy at work and at home after work with kids, so to be honest with you i can test it only while i am actually working ( i do Testing and servicing medical devices )

At this moment i can't "afford" to buy SONY ERICSSON LIVEdock ( OTG MODE + CHARGING AT THE SAME TIME )

I just want to share my progress in making cheaper verision of LIVEdock, also i looking fore some smart arse to help me/us finish what i started,

I know this is little bit messy and don't kill me for my english please

Diagram:

DSC_0076.jpg

I made simple OTG CABLE with permanently shorted PIN 4 (sense) AND 5 (ground) on my microUSB. The i realized that phone battery must support power for phone and connected USB device such as keyboard, mouse, gamepad etc. Then i added ON/OFF switch between PIN 4 and 5 what i achieved ?

DSC_0080.jpg

Now i can switch between OTG MODE and CHARGING MODE ( unfortunately both modes wouldn't work at the same time ). Then i added another two ON/OFF switches to cut off the power from the battery VCC (red wire) and GROUND (black) while you are in OTG MODE. I added another USB cable ( this one suply power from computer or charger or car charger ) but i used VCC and GROUND only i connected these wires to each switches and FEMALE USB ( one you connect keyboard ,gamepad etc ). What i achieved ? now Battery support only my phone but phone is still in OTG mode, and whole power goes to our device ( Keyboard, USB flash memory etc ) .

DSC_0077.jpgDSC_0078.jpgDSC_0079.jpgDSC_0081.jpg

Now we know how to get external power source to our external device , but i still haven't find an solution how to get phone in charging mode or to do anything to prevent phone from discharging while we are in OTG MODE . I know that SONY instead of so many switches used just some simple electronics components. Also i still haven't try everything but if you have any idea please let me know.

Later on i will upload Video on YouTube ( HOW IT WORKS )

Regards
    SUCCESS

BTW i got this working !!! ( USING HUB WITH 4X USB PORTS )

OTG AND CHARGING AT THE SAME TIME !!! should work for any device with OTG SUPPORT ;) so far i can post screen shoot only , more details later on if you interesting...

Screenshot_2012-08-16-20-05-15.jpg

regards
    At this moment i can post some pictures with my crappy beta most ugly dock - but was design for testing only and i have done already so many transformations . Most important

OTG and CHARGING working at the same time !!

CIMG8683.jpg

CIMG8684.jpg

On the photos you can see LED ON , USB STORAGE CONNECTED NOTIFICATION and MOUSE CURSOR ! ;)

I connected same time :

- 8GB USB MEMORY STICK
    - WIRED MOUSE
    - WIRED KEYBOARD
    - USB WITH POWER SUPPLY FOR MY SPEAKERS ( then i connected jack for AUDIO )
    - and phone CHARGING SAME TIME

at work also i connected HUB - 1 USB ( WIRELESS MOUSE AND KEYBOARD ) - WORKING PERFECT !

Before i will post any information HOW TO GET THIS DONE i will post video on YOUTUBE - i should have video before MIDNIGHT ( current time 6:22 PM)

VERY IMPORTANT !!! ( i connected GALAXY SIII - unfortunately not working at all - but dont worry - in 99% i know where seems to be the problem)

Regards
    I hope will work for all devices . Successfuly tested on my Xperia S. I will test soon on Galaxy S2 and S3. Also I completely redesign everything. Forget about first post and crappy switches. I made docking station for my phone I just have to finish my it. I want to add some LED. Is all about right cables and resistors in right place. I think this should also work on simple Y cable.

Give me some time to get everything ready. I have two kids a home plus looking for new house plus I am working. But I will post instruction here soon

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app
    Hi again SONY USERS !

There is my final video + link to my website with INFO , DIAGRAM , PICTURES --> HOW TO GET THIS WORKING ;)

Link to website ---> https://sites.google.com/site/sonicboomworld/