• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

"Other" storage problem

Search This thread

cheeseteak17

Aug 20, 2020
Redmi 9
POCO M3
Screenshot_2021-03-02-21-39-06-634_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg

I already do a factory data for like five times for each week since i bought this phone, the other on storage keeps filing up and i cant find the reasons why, i disabled auto update for system apps and software update as well as on playstore. But still keeps increasing day by day. Any solutions?

mitchell4you

Aug 3, 2016
Utrecht
Question firmware version used...and phone model

Under developer mode..enable "CPU usage"
See..what app is busy doing stuff
or
install Catlog from f-droid see what's running and see error log
or
Run the antivirus app? or update firmware to latest ?

just..some thoughts
interesting issue.. :)

cheeseteak17

Aug 20, 2020
Redmi 9
POCO M3
Im sorry.im new to this but i cant find cpu usage on developers option. I also installed catlog but i dont know how to use it.and which anti virus are you refering to?also I already installed the latest firmware

mctangalin

Mar 31, 2021
I have the same problem, i tried factory reset how many times, hard reset 2x, the problem still exist. Waiting for firmware update but it takes time and the storage is full again while waiting. Any suggestions friends?

Korradin

Apr 11, 2021
Spain
Hi all,

my two cents here. It seems that somehow when info is deleted ends in a kind of partition that the cell can't reach or show. I've tried all the storage cleaning apps I could find to no avail.

When plugging to a PC it doesn't show the big files either. In fact, when you look at it as a drive connected to PC it seems to be full; however if you select the contents there's little occupation.

redmi9_1.JPGredmi9_2.JPG
I've also promoted to miui 12 but the issue persists. I've noticed as well that it takes longer to fill when there's no SIM card inserted. It takes a couple of days instead of hours to fill the Other Files storage.
My only other option now is to try and root it with Magisk and try a custom ROM, but never done that before and I don't want to brick it if there's any other option.

PS - there are some other entries for this same problem in mi.com and other pages for this and other xiaomi models and all of them seem to be unfixed, so I wonder if it could be a HW problem instead.

DarcyHart

Nov 20, 2014
I've had a bit of a time trifling with this device, it's a great bit of kit and a sweet deal. I had the same/similar issue and found that the MIUI local backups never expired. I found a long list of historic backups in the MIUI settings, you can delete them there or just delete MIUI>backups in File Manager. Then perhaps turn off local backups. :)
Hopefully this is the same for you, holla back.

Korradin

Apr 11, 2021
Spain
Thanks for the hint, but no luck either. There's nothing, even toggling on the "hidden files" option, that takes a big amount of space in my device.

Screenshot_2021-04-12-23-05-36-320_com.mi.android.globalFileexplorer.jpg

Probably the matter is exactly that; the device is not deleting backups but the real issue seems to be that I'm not able to locate them (probably not even see them).

Reactions: Wall94

Jerry_Bee

Apr 8, 2021
Same problem here; different phone (Note 10) but same problem with MIUI12. Other files category increases by about 2GB/day, even while hardly using the phone. This issue has been reported all over the web, but Xiaomi seems reluctant to admit they have such a basic file operation issue:

pangayoman

May 11, 2021
Hi there. I have the same issue since last month. I bought the phone last year on May and the problem just came last month. The "Other Files" increased by 3 - 4 GB per day without any reasons. After doing factory reset, my phone memory got full after 1 week (64GB). I went to Xiaomi Service Center. They format the memory and install older version of the OS. However, it didn't help. My phone memory got full after 2 weeks. I went back to the service center, and they had no idea too. Then they replaced the motherboard. Technically speaking, my phone is new, with the new IMEI number. But surprisingly, my memory got full again after 2 weeks! Fortunately, my phone is still under warranty. I insist to get new phone but the procedure is not that easy. I'm requested to go back to service center next week. Hopefully there will be a good news.

Jerry_Bee

Apr 8, 2021
Thanks @pangayoman please let us know how you go!

Factory reset seems the only solution here too (Note 10 lite) but over time the other files still increase. Strangely enough all the cleaning and storage analyzer tools don't see the other files at all and can't remove any of it....

Did anyone try a custom rom, like crDroid? That may rule out hardware issues....

Korradin

Apr 11, 2021
Spain
I haven't tried a custom ROM yet, as I never did it before, but I think it's time to try it now. Otherwise I have a brick as I can't use the apps I need even if I spend more time installing than using them.

Licurus

May 26, 2021
Can someone help me?? Like CCleaner shows that my apps occupied 3+gb,but system shows that my apps occupied 8gb...how can I get access to system storage (apps & apps data)?? (like I can't even click it and find out what takes so much memory)
Screenshot_2021-05-26-08-18-02-128_com.android.settings.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-26-08-21-34-232_com.piriform.ccleaner.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-05-26-08-21-34-232_com.piriform.ccleaner.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 63

Korradin

Apr 11, 2021
Spain
Can someone help me?? Like CCleaner shows that my apps occupied 3+gb,but system shows that my apps occupied 8gb...how can I get access to system storage (apps & apps data)?? (like I can't even click it and find out what takes so much memory)

I have my system in a different language, so the translation might be inaccurate, but it should be something like this: settings--> about my phone --> tap on storage --> Tap on Apps & Data. That should do the trick. The problem discussed here is slightly different, though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    File manager
    internal storage
    show hidden files
    miui
    gallery
    cloud
    trashbin

delete all the files inside the trashbin.
    hope it will help you.
    Thanks for the hint, but no luck either. There's nothing, even toggling on the "hidden files" option, that takes a big amount of space in my device.

Screenshot_2021-04-12-23-05-36-320_com.mi.android.globalFileexplorer.jpg

Probably the matter is exactly that; the device is not deleting backups but the real issue seems to be that I'm not able to locate them (probably not even see them).