Oukitel WP5

Search This thread

info.crew

Jan 12, 2010
Reading ROM

I don't know what to do next. Everything is blank. Is it supposed to be? Clicking on anything tells me I need to choose a scatter file.
I don't know how/where to get a scatter file.

Hello everybody,
I am not experienced in this, having this phone two days and I want to root it. now at the step 8. I got the scatter file, but I have no idea, how to download the ROM, naming etc. I used scatter file MT6765 from here "androidurdu.net/mediatek-scatter-files-download/", I am not sure about what to do next, when I tried readback, it gave me one file ROM_0 (1KB).
Thanks!

totallybeachin

Sep 12, 2009
Hello everybody,
I am not experienced in this, having this phone two days and I want to root it. now at the step 8. I got the scatter file, but I have no idea, how to download the ROM, naming etc. I used scatter file MT6765 from here "androidurdu.net/mediatek-scatter-files-download/", I am not sure about what to do next, when I tried readback, it gave me one file ROM_0 (1KB).
Thanks!
As far as I know, the ROM is the firmware you downloaded in Step 1.
While looking inside this file, I see a scatter file.
Is that the file that I need to point SP Flash Tools too
or is it a file that has to be downloaded separately, like you did?
I feel confident enough to try the Readback option/tab to look and see if it loads the files referenced in step 8, but I'm not comfortable doing that if I load the wrong scatter file. I admit my skepticism comes from my lack of knowledge of what I'm doing.
Never needed to use such a program for previous device I've owned.

info.crew

Jan 12, 2010
Well I did root looong time ago on my new Motorola Droid 1, it was really difficult even with detailed step-by-step instructions. Here it is for me again something new, I am not experienced with this stuff at all. I got stuck at the flash tools. It is somehow communicating, not sure here.
I got build OUKITEL_WP5Pro_EVA_V01_20200624

wallace108

Nov 19, 2012
@info.crew, so your phone is actually the PRO version. Mine is OUKITEL_WP5Pro_EEA_V01_20200624 (probably slightly different from yours) .. Anyway at the moment rooting this phone is still not possible. All you can do is unlock the bootloader (see instructions at the beginning of this thread). For root you need to use Magisk Manager, but, like I said the current version of Magisk is not able to root it (it will be fixed in the future, I hope). Meanwhile go to the magisk manager site and study the procedure. Then install magisk manager and wait for the next updates.
Mike

Last edited:

info.crew

Jan 12, 2010
@Mike
Ok, so this was just an exercise for future. Anyway I cannot connect to my phone using MTK droid tool, double checked for all (possibly missed something) drives. I would appreciate some step-by-step manual. Pavel

wallace108

Nov 19, 2012
@Mike
Ok, so this was just an exercise for future. Anyway I cannot connect to my phone using MTK droid tool, double checked for all (possibly missed something) drives. I would appreciate some step-by-step manual. Pavel

Pavel, forget about MTK droid tools: it doesn't work with your Oukitel's processor. You also don't need to download the firmware FROM your phone because if you go to Oukitel site under download section the firmware (ROM) is there. However if you want to play .... then the tool is wwr mtk 2.51. Search on the internet and you will also find on youtube the tutorials on how to use this software. (I used it to make a backup of my rom because for a LONG TIME our firmware was missing from Oukitel site).

Mike

info.crew

Jan 12, 2010
Hi Mike,
I don't have so much time for playing. So now I can only wait until the root for WP5 PRO is public, if I understand. I did in past root just by SD card update and some alternative bootloader.

wallace108

Nov 19, 2012
Hi Mike,
I don't have so much time for playing. So now I can only wait until the root for WP5 PRO is public, if I understand. I did in past root just by SD card update and some alternative bootloader.

You probably meant "alternative recovery". In the past with a custom recovery people used to flash a supersu zipped file that would take care of gaining root. Now Magisk does the job in a more effective way. But we have to wait.

totallybeachin

Sep 12, 2009
So can anyone tell me where I get the scatter file to load into SP Flash Tools for step 8?
Is it the scatter file that is located within the firmware downloaded in Step 1?

totallybeachin

Sep 12, 2009
Thank you. I have been waiting for a response to my issue for days!
I had a feeling after reading several tutorials and watching a number of videos but was afraid to pull the trigger until I could get some sort of affirmation.

pavseljn

Aug 24, 2019
Hi everyone,
Mostly this thread is about rooting but I'm getting desperate with my launcher so I hope you don't mind if I post my question here... I just bought new Oukitel WP5 smartphone and I didn't like the launcher preinstalled on the phone with Android 10. The launcher that came with the OS didn't have the app drawer (there is always a possibility that I just didn't find the setting)... I hate having gazillion icons on my Home screens and I'd like to put them away in the app drawer. I also couldn't erase Google search bar on home screen. Other thing that bothers me a lot is some Google page that pops out if i swipe all the way right on home screen, which I hate but again, cannot get rid of it.
Anyway, I tried to install several different launchers (Evie, launcher3, Quickstep, Poco,... etc) but now I always have another problem... the same for all launchers - I couldn't put widgets on home screen anymore! Maybe there is something in settings I have to change and just cannot find it. I tried quite a few proposed hacks regarding widgets and launchers I found on the internet but nothing worked.
I'm sure no one has the same problem as me... kind of a story of my life regarding phones and computers [eye rolling]... but please please, any suggestions?
Best,
Natasha

h2ikm8

Jun 7, 2020
Hi everyone,
Mostly this thread is about rooting but I'm getting desperate with my launcher so I hope you don't mind if I post my question here... I just bought new Oukitel WP5 smartphone and I didn't like the launcher preinstalled on the phone with Android 10. The launcher that came with the OS didn't have the app drawer (there is always a possibility that I just didn't find the setting)... I hate having gazillion icons on my Home screens and I'd like to put them away in the app drawer. I also couldn't erase Google search bar on home screen. Other thing that bothers me a lot is some Google page that pops out if i swipe all the way right on home screen, which I hate but again, cannot get rid of it.
Anyway, I tried to install several different launchers (Evie, launcher3, Quickstep, Poco,... etc) but now I always have another problem... the same for all launchers - I couldn't put widgets on home screen anymore! Maybe there is something in settings I have to change and just cannot find it. I tried quite a few proposed hacks regarding widgets and launchers I found on the internet but nothing worked.
I'm sure no one has the same problem as me... kind of a story of my life regarding phones and computers [eye rolling]... but please please, any suggestions?
Best,
Natasha
you're not alone ...

oncouch1

Oct 6, 2010
Hi everyone,
Best,
Natasha

Have you tried open launcher?

Reactions: oltecboy

danik101

Feb 18, 2021
Trying to root, i have fully bricked because of flashing wrong kernel from other phone. I have flashed the image from official site, and IMEI was null. I tried to recover it, using EdXposed Framework and Modules...
'Xposed IMEI Changer'(other apps NOT WORKING) - doesn't have support for multiple IMEIs;
Finally, trying to call someone i see "Mobile network not aviable", only 3G working.
CAN YOU HELP ME PLS?

oltecboy

Feb 19, 2021
Hi everyone,
Best,
Natasha

Hello,

The only launcher that can do widgets with WP5 Pro is Open launcher and Launcher Galaxy S21 Style outside the basic launcher. Petr

Reactions: oncouch1

oncouch1

Oct 6, 2010
Trying to root, i have fully bricked because of flashing wrong kernel from other phone. I have flashed the image from official site, and IMEI was null. I tried to recover it, using EdXposed Framework and Modules...
'Xposed IMEI Changer'(other apps NOT WORKING) - doesn't have support for multiple IMEIs;
Finally, trying to call someone i see "Mobile network not aviable", only 3G working.
CAN YOU HELP ME PLS?

You need SN_Write_tool to add IMEI to these phones! I did almost the same thing, I was never able to get 4G back and 3G has poor signal but the phone is working. I didn't have to have IMEI for it to work but adding it never restored 4G as I had hoped.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks Nicola for your tutorial. I'm eager to root my WP5 Pro with Magisk, but first I need a backup of boot vbmeta and recovery. I have made extensive use of SP Flash Tools but never to readback partitions so I'm having some problems here. Could you please detail your technique to extract such files? Thank you
    Michele
    Build number OUKITEL_WP5Pro_EEA_V01-20200624 CPU MT6762D, 8 cores,64 Gb ROM, 4 Gb RAM.

Beware: your phone is different! So I don't know:
    1) Android version.
    2) which kind of booting are using, read here https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#knowing-your-device
    Before writing an image you MUST have a backup of it!

To read back a partition with SP Flash Tools you need to know the start address end the length of the partition. This information is available only (because your phone is not yet rooted) from the scatter file (from the SAME phone).
    In the Readback page hit "Add" then input a name for the image file. Follows a new dialog "Readback block start address" where you have to write the values.
    After this you can give the Read Back command. If it doesn't start shutdown the phone.
    N
    This is a great rugged phone, perfect for the outdoors (I'm a keen mountaineer). I couldn't see a thread so I thought I would start one! A couple of posts re. rooting to follow....
    Rooted!

Hi all,
    I rooted my WP5. Sorry for not having time to write a full tutorial, only a concise story. Of course this is ONLY for experienced users...

My phone is 4GB version Android 10, build 10.0_V02_20200508.
    1) download the firmware from oukitel website: https://oukitel.com/pages/download-center (1)
    2) download and install SP Flash Tools https://spflashtool.com/download/
    3) download and install Android Platform Tools https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools
    4) connect the phone to PC and verify that adb is working
    5) WARNING: make a backup af your data!
    6) unlock the bootloader:
    - in Developer options enable the unlock
    - adb reboot bootloader
    - fastboot flashing unlock
    - fastboot reboot
    Now the phone restarts and is completely virgin!
    7) shutdown the phone.
    8) using SP Flash Tools readback the following partitions:
    - boot
    - recovery (2)
    - vbmeta
    9) download the attached patched_vbmeta.img
    10) transfer the boot.img that you just readback to the phone download folder
    11) install Magisk Manager (today 7.5.1)
    12) Use Magisk Manager to patch the boot.img and copy back to PC
    13) flash the images:
    - fastboot flash --disable-verification vbmeta patched_vbmeta.img
    - fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
    - fastboot reboot
    14) if the phone boots up run Magisk Manager to check if it's installed.

14b) if the phone goes in bootloop... flash back the original images you have read back (do not use the firmware you downloaded from Oukitel, it's necessary only to have the scatter file (the partition table).

Enjoy ;)
    Nicola

Notes:
    (1) actually there are 2 firmware available and despite having different names are the same. This fw is Android 9.
    (2) not used now but may be useful in the future
    Rooting the WP5

Hey @dwastell, I know this thread is a couple months old, so I wanted to see if you have any root instructions?
    Do you think the process for rooting the OUKITEL K13 here on the forum will work on the WP5?

I eventually succeeded in rooting my WP5 with Magisk. For a while, the firmware was not available but once the official ROM was published, I managed to patch boot.img and install via fastboot. My phone is the 4 GB version -copies of the stock and patched boot image are available at: github.com/dwastell/Oukitel_WP5_magisk
    I have experienced some complications as detailed in my next post...
    Cheers, Dave
    Rooting the WP5

Thanks for your post Nicola. You'll see that I did succeed in rooting my phone (Android 9) with Magisk, once I was able to get hold of the stock firmware. All is working though there are a couple of points worth noting.

The phones is SAR ("system-as-root") and the magisk instructions suggest that recovery.img is patched rather than boot.img. I proceeded by patching boot.img, as in your instructions, as this seemed a better solution - and it works fine.

One problem has occurred with updates. Magisk manager appears to assume that the recovery partition is the one that has been patched. When you do the direct install for the update, partition 2 is flashed (recovery) rather than partition 26 (boot). On rebooting the phone inevitably goes into boot loop.

To avoid this, I go for "select and patch a file" option, and then install again via fastboot as per the original installation. A bit of a hassle but better than the alternative!