• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

OUKU - Unbranded 6.2" 2 DIN Android Car Stereo Radio Head Unit

Search This thread

RMac6.0

Dec 14, 2013
My interpreted learning & Additional Questions

As a new member I thought I would give a summary of what I have learned by searching this thread and reading it entirely through twice. I read once through before I purchased and then again as I installed it. I am only moderately tech savy and much more mechanically gifted so the summary will be mostly for the tech newbies. Sorry it is not brief, but I think some may find this handy and for those that can help you will know exactly what I have and have done to get there. Sorry for bad formatting as I am not to certain on how to use the LIST.

SUMMARY

* I have model Model TH8581GA installed in 06 F-250 (Helpful link- http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Generic_Android_Head_Unit)
-- Was listed by lightinthebox on Ebay as Capacitive for $350, but after purchase seller indicated it was not. I continued and asked them to include backup camera. Resistive touch is not that bad for what I use it for. Was stocked in US for quick delivery.
-- Android 2.3.7 MCU 2.11.4-10-0101 System 2.20.21

* Scoche install kit satisfactory but a youtube video on this radio recommends another brand.
* I am a low budget audiophile and I was honestly surprised in sound improvement even compared to three other vehicles with aftermarket name brand radios.

* Access to play store
-- Your password is not recognized? On computer or phone go to accounts.google and find somthing about access codes. You will name and generate a code to type inplace of password. Now it works fine!

* Micro SD Card-
-- Format (FAT32)- I purchased Sandisk 8GB from WallMart. Already formatted as FAT32. Check by opening windows file explorer and under Computer where it will show up after read. Right click should show "Format" option.
-- Root of SD card is just placing files in the "front door" which is at the main level and not in any folders. I left the files in the unzipped file and it did not work until i pulled them out.

* Back up!!!
- Used App Backup & Recovery from Play store. Check all apps and click back up. After Flash process is done you just go back into play store (generate another access code) and load the app again. In the at the top right I think it says "Recovery or Restore". Check apps and restore. It is that easy...it just knows!!

* Root
-- At this time as far as I know "DO NOT UPDATE MCU" is the way to go. I downloaded the link from post #2108 (Resistive). Moved files to SD card and unzipped. You will only need the 4 files (MCU is not included in this) as I was confused on which was the MCU file and how was I supposed to avoid updating it.
-- You will not need to do anything at the MCU update in the radio. Just power down the radio and then I held power and menu button at the same time. This starts it up to see the ROM update successful. Eventually it will move to calibration screen and finally to home screen.
-- Superuser is now an App like icon so seems as if it worked. I have no idea what use it is to me but just know it is there.

* Bluetooth ECU Adapter
-- It is large and nearly in my way so I have purchased but not yet received Extension

* Bluetooth Dongle
-- I already had one laying around that looks like this one and was linked in previous post as working, but has no identifiers and for all I know may come in different format from different MFR's. I am using (http://rh-software.com/) to "Determine the VID and PID" as suggested by previous post.
-- Unzipped file and clicked SIV32X with bluetooth dongle in my USB port. Clicked "USB Bus" at bottom and found "Generic Bluetooth Radio" then just hover mouse over the version and mine says "The Cambridge Silicon Windigo BTM01C2AC Bluetooth Adapter is a USB V1.10 Full Speed Device which uses 100mA". (Is this too old of a version?)

* Quick Bluetooth Lite & Torque (If not my BT adapter then this is where I am stumped and need help please)
-- Downloaded from play store both. My torque screen shows CA-Fi in bottom left.
-- Plugged BT dongle in back USB port of radio. since needed WiFi I used adapter and lugged this into the front (Works Fine)
-- In QBT turned BT on(BT icon shows at top now). Tried Torque when discoverable and then with discoverable off. My HTC one was able to find the BT dongle and connect
-- Created profile in torque. As default I ensured theses steps "The two drop-down boxes in that screen should say: ‘As defined in global OBD2 preferences’ and ‘Automatic – Thorough protocol scan’. If they do not, then change them to these values." However if I look in the drop down here it shows OBD2 adapter and a MAC address.. If I turn QBT off this no longer shows
-- When I go to OBD2 adapter settings my only options for connection type are TTY(/dev/ttyUSB0) & TTY9/dev/ttyUSB1). I tried selecting each of these and cycling radio on and off several times while checking QBT discoverable.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. It seems as if my BT dongle is working and seen by Torque, but Im not sure if this is normal or if I need a newer BT dongle. I am not certain that dongle is supported by Linux but again it seems to be working.

TO DO-
* On order - 4 port hub & Extension as linked above
* Wanted - Wireless keyboard (Others have mentioned these. Can you please indicate how well they work with this unit?)
* Tweak ADW Launcher- Nice initial impression improvement
* Try others suggestions on getting steering controls to work without CanBus
* Get illumination working & Map dimmer control to the Tune button as mentioned in thread.
* Get PowerAmp in App store- Seemed to be highly suggested in thread
* Install backup camera

jakejm79

Jan 29, 2010
As a new member I thought I would give a summary of what I have learned by searching this thread and reading it entirely through twice. I read once through before I purchased and then again as I installed it. I am only moderately tech savy and much more mechanically gifted so the summary will be mostly for the tech newbies. Sorry it is not brief, but I think some may find this handy and for those that can help you will know exactly what I have and have done to get there. Sorry for bad formatting as I am not to certain on how to use the LIST.

SUMMARY

* I have model Model TH8581GA installed in 06 F-250 (Helpful link- http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Generic_Android_Head_Unit)
-- Was listed by lightinthebox on Ebay as Capacitive for $350, but after purchase seller indicated it was not. I continued and asked them to include backup camera. Resistive touch is not that bad for what I use it for. Was stocked in US for quick delivery.
-- Android 2.3.7 MCU 2.11.4-10-0101 System 2.20.21

* Scoche install kit satisfactory but a youtube video on this radio recommends another brand.
* I am a low budget audiophile and I was honestly surprised in sound improvement even compared to three other vehicles with aftermarket name brand radios.

* Access to play store
-- Your password is not recognized? On computer or phone go to accounts.google and find somthing about access codes. You will name and generate a code to type inplace of password. Now it works fine!

* Micro SD Card-
-- Format (FAT32)- I purchased Sandisk 8GB from WallMart. Already formatted as FAT32. Check by opening windows file explorer and under Computer where it will show up after read. Right click should show "Format" option.
-- Root of SD card is just placing files in the "front door" which is at the main level and not in any folders. I left the files in the unzipped file and it did not work until i pulled them out.

* Back up!!!
- Used App Backup & Recovery from Play store. Check all apps and click back up. After Flash process is done you just go back into play store (generate another access code) and load the app again. In the at the top right I think it says "Recovery or Restore". Check apps and restore. It is that easy...it just knows!!

* Root
-- At this time as far as I know "DO NOT UPDATE MCU" is the way to go. I downloaded the link from post #2108 (Resistive). Moved files to SD card and unzipped. You will only need the 4 files (MCU is not included in this) as I was confused on which was the MCU file and how was I supposed to avoid updating it.
-- You will not need to do anything at the MCU update in the radio. Just power down the radio and then I held power and menu button at the same time. This starts it up to see the ROM update successful. Eventually it will move to calibration screen and finally to home screen.
-- Superuser is now an App like icon so seems as if it worked. I have no idea what use it is to me but just know it is there.

* Bluetooth ECU Adapter
-- It is large and nearly in my way so I have purchased but not yet received Extension

* Bluetooth Dongle
-- I already had one laying around that looks like this one and was linked in previous post as working, but has no identifiers and for all I know may come in different format from different MFR's. I am using (http://rh-software.com/) to "Determine the VID and PID" as suggested by previous post.
-- Unzipped file and clicked SIV32X with bluetooth dongle in my USB port. Clicked "USB Bus" at bottom and found "Generic Bluetooth Radio" then just hover mouse over the version and mine says "The Cambridge Silicon Windigo BTM01C2AC Bluetooth Adapter is a USB V1.10 Full Speed Device which uses 100mA". (Is this too old of a version?)

* Quick Bluetooth Lite & Torque (If not my BT adapter then this is where I am stumped and need help please)
-- Downloaded from play store both. My torque screen shows CA-Fi in bottom left.
-- Plugged BT dongle in back USB port of radio. since needed WiFi I used adapter and lugged this into the front (Works Fine)
-- In QBT turned BT on(BT icon shows at top now). Tried Torque when discoverable and then with discoverable off. My HTC one was able to find the BT dongle and connect
-- Created profile in torque. As default I ensured theses steps "The two drop-down boxes in that screen should say: ‘As defined in global OBD2 preferences’ and ‘Automatic – Thorough protocol scan’. If they do not, then change them to these values." However if I look in the drop down here it shows OBD2 adapter and a MAC address.. If I turn QBT off this no longer shows
-- When I go to OBD2 adapter settings my only options for connection type are TTY(/dev/ttyUSB0) & TTY9/dev/ttyUSB1). I tried selecting each of these and cycling radio on and off several times while checking QBT discoverable.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. It seems as if my BT dongle is working and seen by Torque, but Im not sure if this is normal or if I need a newer BT dongle. I am not certain that dongle is supported by Linux but again it seems to be working.

TO DO-
* On order - 4 port hub & Extension as linked above
* Wanted - Wireless keyboard (Others have mentioned these. Can you please indicate how well they work with this unit?)
* Tweak ADW Launcher- Nice initial impression improvement
* Try others suggestions on getting steering controls to work without CanBus
* Get illumination working & Map dimmer control to the Tune button as mentioned in thread.
* Get PowerAmp in App store- Seemed to be highly suggested in thread
* Install backup camera

You might want to try deleting the file "/etc/carit_version2"
Code:
su
rm /etc/carit_version2

Any reason why you didn't just choose to use a USB OBDII dongle?

Reactions: RMac6.0

RMac6.0

Dec 14, 2013
OBDII Bluetooth Now Connected

You might want to try deleting the file "/etc/carit_version2"
Code:
su
rm /etc/carit_version2

Any reason why you didn't just choose to use a USB OBDII dongle?
Thanks for the reply!
I already had the bluetooth OBDII because I previously used Torque displayed on my phone. Maybe I was a bit close minded since I had one but everything I read here seemed to really point to using the bluetooth type connection.

After a little research I found this link on ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1388518 website where post #15 walked me through it. It was a little confusing as the steps did not match words on the screen exactly. After deleting the file you suggested I was able to select bluetooth connection in Torque and now it works like it should.

Side Note:
Another handy link I found - (http) ://brady.thtech.net/tag/torque/

jakejm79

Jan 29, 2010
Thanks for the reply!
I already had the bluetooth OBDII because I previously used Torque displayed on my phone. Maybe I was a bit close minded since I had one but everything I read here seemed to really point to using the bluetooth type connection.

After a little research I found this link on ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1388518 website where post #15 walked me through it. It was a little confusing as the steps did not match words on the screen exactly. After deleting the file you suggested I was able to select bluetooth connection in Torque and now it works like it should.

Side Note:
Another handy link I found - (http) ://brady.thtech.net/tag/torque/

Yeah it's kinda an either or with OBDII you can either force USB but then BT wont work or you can have BT but then USB wont work (deleting/installing the file mentioned will toggle this). I understand that you already had all the stuff, but I think a USB dongle can be had for about $10 and you don't have to worry about configuring with BT quick settings, just plug it in and it works.

Reactions: RMac6.0

sciallo

Oct 20, 2010
Yeah it's kinda an either or with OBDII you can either force USB but then BT wont work or you can have BT but then USB wont work (deleting/installing the file mentioned will toggle this). I understand that you already had all the stuff, but I think a USB dongle can be had for about $10 and you don't have to worry about configuring with BT quick settings, just plug it in and it works.

been meaning to ask out of curiosity: would renaming that file have the same effect (keeping it easier to switch)?

daveaus

Jul 13, 2004
Hold down the back button for three seconds. It will shut down the OEM app, and it won't start up again at boot (unless you manually start it up again and don't shut it down with another 3 second back button press)

This was working for me but now for some reason when I exit the music app all audio is muted and it won't unmute unless I open the music app (even trying to turn the volume up doesnt work). Any ideas before I do a factory reset?

MrGreenPants

Feb 22, 2009
This was working for me but now for some reason when I exit the music app all audio is muted and it won't unmute unless I open the music app (even trying to turn the volume up doesnt work). Any ideas before I do a factory reset?

I think this might do the trick:

• Try the following: Check the '3rd party application priority' tickbox in Settings->Sounds

I believe that this is what this checkbox is for - but then again things could have been lost in translation.

Let us know if it works (or doesn't)

daveaus

Jul 13, 2004
I think this might do the trick:

• Try the following: Check the '3rd party application priority' tickbox in Settings->Sounds

I believe that this is what this checkbox is for - but then again things could have been lost in translation.

Let us know if it works (or doesn't)

I thought you might be onto something there but no luck. It was already ticked, I tried unticking it.. no good.. I reticked it again still the same.

Its strange when the device is in mute and you adjust the volume it comes out of mute but the mode my device seems to be in when the music app isn't running doesn't work that way. You can adjust the volume but the speaker icon on the volume change popup is crossed out.

Looks like I will have to factory reset, failing that I will just put a folder with a silent mp3 in it and use that when I want to listen to Pandora.

sciallo

Oct 20, 2010
I thought you might be onto something there but no luck. It was already ticked, I tried unticking it.. no good.. I reticked it again still the same.

Its strange when the device is in mute and you adjust the volume it comes out of mute but the mode my device seems to be in when the music app isn't running doesn't work that way. You can adjust the volume but the speaker icon on the volume change popup is crossed out.

Looks like I will have to factory reset, failing that I will just put a folder with a silent mp3 in it and use that when I want to listen to Pandora.

I remember that happening, it's not the same "mute" as if you mute it with the button, it just tells you all native apps are muted... Have you tried to see if an android app is muted too? (poweramp or whatever) it might just not be...

tin2001

Aug 13, 2005
NSW
Can anyone tell me what the newest HAL9K ROM is?
I vaguely remember a post saying there was a newer one than the rooted image I posted in October, and I'm intending to reflash/reformat my unit some time soon so if there's a newer/better ROM, I'd like to go that way.

sleep_debt

Aug 14, 2012
Sent you a PM. But for anyone else, I (and one or two other members) have used this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Add-4-fast-...338396?pt=US_Network_Hubs&hash=item5d3f24da9c

With good success.

finally had my unit installed; used this exact usb hub but my wifi usb adapter and obd-to-usb arent reading. do i need to installed drivers for these?
EDIT: my root didnt take, thats probably why...
can someone please post a guide to rooting so i know if im missing a step?

Last edited:

sciallo

Oct 20, 2010
Reactions: sleep_debt

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
Sorry if this has been covered already, but can anyone tell me if these units have a page on xda yet or are mentioned in this thread ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261339315591?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have searched the forums and cant find anything, to save me searching through 200 pages ( :-o ) hopefully some one can tell me :)

The wiki page says the Ouku ones are similar, but this one supposedly is dual core Freesscale I.MX535D, not an MST786 Dual Core, cant find any mention of dualcore versions of the I.MX535D on freesscale's website though.

Last edited:

jakejm79

Jan 29, 2010
Sorry if this has been covered already, but can anyone tell me if these units have a page on xda yet or are mentioned in this thread ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261339315591?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have searched the forums and cant find anything, to save me searching through 200 pages ( :-o ) hopefully some one can tell me :)

A similar specced unit has a thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2528349 it is has a different faceplate and isn't confirmed that it is the same as the unit you linked to, but it appears to have the same dual core processor and android version.
I'd suggest posting in that thread since it is a much better match than the single core Android 2.3.X units discussed in this thread.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I made a new version of my custom firmware. You can find it here.

I added the loader for the radio with a capacitive screen in the archive.
    Thanks 949BFN !

If you have a radio with a capacitive screen, before firmware update, you must replace ”u-boot-skip.bin” file with “u-boot-skip.bin.capacitive” (rename by removing .capacitive)

Okay, I uploaded firmware to Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/e01g7pqifx66uoe/2013.3.26.MCU+2.10.8-1-10-1+system+2.13.6+Hal9k.rar

Changes made by me regarding stock version:
    • Builtin root (Superuser)
    • Support USB Bluetooth dongle to connect to the OBD2 ELM327 adapter with Bluetooth interface.
    • Support OBD2 ELM327 adapters with USB interface based on FTDI and pl2303 chips.
    • Ability to connect to Wi-Fi networks using the mode AdHoc, including OBD2 ELM327 adapters with Wi-Fi interface.
    • Supports large disks with NTFS through FUSE module
    • Automatically create APN settings in 3G-modem
    This firmware is made to Android 2.3.7.
    To get work Torque with USB OBD2-adapter, you must create file /etc/carit_version2 with "finland_rds_ru" line inside and assign permissions rw- r-- r-- to it.
    Firmware with root and bluetooth OBD 2

hi everyone
    I made a modified firmware for my Car Stereo TH8581 (is the same as Ouku) which adds root and support for external USB-Bluetooth adapters to connect Bluetooth ELM 327 (OBD 2)
    This is a link: 4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=314557&view=findpost&p=19624233
    Since it's difficult to me write in English, constantly checking with Google translate, I ask to kirill.lrnv translate my post on 4pda for English-speaking users.
    OUKU - Unbranded 6.2" 2 DIN Android Car Stereo Radio Head Unit

Android_Radio.jpg

System specs:

Operation System: Android 2.3.4
     CPU: FREESCALE I.MX535D Cortex A8 1GHz
     Ram: DDR3 512M
     iNand Momery: 4G
     OSD Languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Polish, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese

Russia Map is Not available.
     Specification
    System
    External Memory Up to 32GB/SD Card
    Features Built-in Bluetooth, GPS, iPod, RDS, 3D Interface, Steering Wheel Control, WiFi, Subwoofer Output, Games, Touch Screen, SD/USB Support
    Digital TV or Analog TV Analog TV
    Display Ratio 16:9
    Screen Size 6.2 inch
    Screen Resolution 800 x 480
    OSD Languages English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Polish, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese
    Media Type DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, AVI, MPEG4, CD, CD-R/RW, CD+R/RW, VCD, Mp3, WMA, JPEG, Mp4, DVD, WMV, MKV, WAV, JPG, TXT, PDF
    Radio Response Bandwidth AM: 522 KHz-1620 KHz;FM: 87.5 MHz-108 MHz

GPS
    GPS Card Slot Micro SD Card
    Support Map IGO, TOMTOM, Garmin, Sygic, Kudo
    Voice Navigation Yes
    Amplifier & Interface
    Amplifier Max Output Power / Channel Qty 45 Watts x 4
    Remote Control Yes
    Connector Type 1 x A/V IN, 1 x A/V OUT, 1 x REARCAMERA, 1 x STEERING WHEEL CONTROL, 1 x IPOD, 1 x TV ANTENNA, 1 x POWER, 1 x AUX-IN, 1 x SUBWOOFER, 1 x USB, 1 x GPS ANTENNA

General
    Type 2 Din
    Color Black
    What's in the box
    1 x DVD host
    1 x Remote control
    1 x User's manual
    1 x Cable set
    1 x iPod cable
    1 x WiFi USB Adapter
    1 x GPS antenna
    1 x Stylus pen
    Figured I would update the ROM to include steering wheel controls for all Android apps (there is only Next, Prev and Play/Pause, since there is no steering wheel control function for Stop and FFWD and RWD don't seem to work).

There are 4 versions:

Resistive USB OBDII SW Controls.zip
    - This is for resistive screen units that use a USB OBDII dongle with Torque Pro
    Resistive BT OBDII SW Controls.zip - This is for resistive screen units that use a BT OBDII dongle with Torque Pro
    Capacitive USB OBDII SW Controls.zip - This is for capacitive screen units that use a USB OBDII dongle with Torque Pro
    Capacitive BT OBDII SW Controls.zip - This is for capacitive screen units that use a BT OBDII dongle with Torque Pro

For anyone that doesn't want to flash a full rom, you can just place the keypad.kl file in the /system/usr/keylayout/ folder.

Controls will only work when none of the native apps (Ipod, Radio, DVD, TV, AuxIn, etc) are active, controls have been tested with Pandora, AOSP Gingerbread Music Player and Muisc Player Pro, but should work with pretty much any media player.

Credit to @donaldta for helping me figure out the correct name for the keylayout file

Use at your own risk. The updates don't include any MCU update so you should be safe to flash regardless of your MCU version.
    This firmware is for the Ouku unit.

For the sake of completeness I will update this post to show everything included in the most recent ROM:
    Based on the one from 7/16/13 originally edited by Hal9K_
    Built in root (Superuser)
    Support USB Bluetooth dongle to connect to the OBD2 ELM327 adapter with Bluetooth interface.
    Support OBD2 ELM327 adapters with USB interface based on FTDI and pl2303 chips.
    Ability to connect to Wi-Fi networks using the mode AdHoc, including OBD2 ELM327 adapters with Wi-Fi interface.
    Supports large disks with NTFS through FUSE module
    Automatically create APN settings in 3G-modem
    /cache fix allows downloading of large apps from the Play Store.
    Added cp210x.ko module for support of additional USB OBD2 adapters.
    Added keypad.kl file for support of SW controls in all Android apps.

Torque Pro USB versions include:
    carit_version2 file in /system/etc folder this allows Torque Pro to automatically use the supported USB OBD2 adapters.

If you don't plan on using Torque Pro you can download either version for your screen type.
    Hey, Gerry from YouTube here. Thanks for starting this thread. I hope this unit and units like it get some love in the future. I'd be thrilled to see some version of CyanogenMod on this thing. ;)

Here's my video review if anyone is interested.
    Ouku 6.2" Android Head Unit review