Jun 8, 2007
OUKU - Unbranded 6.2" 2 DIN Android Car Stereo Radio Head Unit

Android_Radio.jpg

System specs:

Operation System: Android 2.3.4
 CPU: FREESCALE I.MX535D Cortex A8 1GHz
 Ram: DDR3 512M
 iNand Momery: 4G
 OSD Languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Polish, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese

Russia Map is Not available.
 Specification
System
External Memory Up to 32GB/SD Card
Features Built-in Bluetooth, GPS, iPod, RDS, 3D Interface, Steering Wheel Control, WiFi, Subwoofer Output, Games, Touch Screen, SD/USB Support
Digital TV or Analog TV Analog TV
Display Ratio 16:9
Screen Size 6.2 inch
Screen Resolution 800 x 480
OSD Languages English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Polish, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese
Media Type DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, AVI, MPEG4, CD, CD-R/RW, CD+R/RW, VCD, Mp3, WMA, JPEG, Mp4, DVD, WMV, MKV, WAV, JPG, TXT, PDF
Radio Response Bandwidth AM: 522 KHz-1620 KHz;FM: 87.5 MHz-108 MHz

GPS
GPS Card Slot Micro SD Card
Support Map IGO, TOMTOM, Garmin, Sygic, Kudo
Voice Navigation Yes
Amplifier & Interface
Amplifier Max Output Power / Channel Qty 45 Watts x 4
Remote Control Yes
Connector Type 1 x A/V IN, 1 x A/V OUT, 1 x REARCAMERA, 1 x STEERING WHEEL CONTROL, 1 x IPOD, 1 x TV ANTENNA, 1 x POWER, 1 x AUX-IN, 1 x SUBWOOFER, 1 x USB, 1 x GPS ANTENNA

General
Type 2 Din
Color Black
What's in the box
1 x DVD host
1 x Remote control
1 x User's manual
1 x Cable set
1 x iPod cable
1 x WiFi USB Adapter
1 x GPS antenna
1 x Stylus pen

spazfishy

Jun 8, 2007
I was hoping to get a decent thread started for this radio as it is a great device and could use some added support from dev's.

Couple questions to kick it off if anyone is reading:

Do you guys just tether your phone to connect to the internet or is there some other way? I currently have t mobile and tethering does work but would love to automate it. There is an app called autotether but it uses Bluetooth and although this radio has Bluetooth there is no option for it in settings so I cannot seem to pair it. Would be awesome to auto tether when you get in your car though. Also, does anyone use the SD card? I bought a 32gb on amazon and formatted it to NTFS but every-time I out it in it says its in the wrong format. So I let the radio format it and hooked it and verified it is still NTFS but it will not play my media. I just tried an mkv file but no luck at all. Anyone know if the radio supports 32gb? Lastly when I use Pandora and turn the radio on and off it comes up saying no video signal. I am pretty sure this is because lack of internet but does this work for others?

Thanks for any help!

Hope we can start getting some people interested. I'm sure other owners of this device have questions as well.

Reactions: Furioustylez

vwman

May 2, 2011
If you format the card with FAT32 you should be good to go. I have a no-name 32GB that works just fine.

Scott

icypirate11

Mar 31, 2011
Does it have ROOT???

I just asked Gerald from the Youtube review, is this device rooted? I saw some devices on eBay that run ICS and I was wondering Ouku made their products unlocked and rooted. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

And will GingerBreak work on this?

Reactions: MillJonson

gsmarena1644

Sep 18, 2012
this is beyond awesome to see something in the works...at any rate just got my unit from ebay and its great just a couple questions and things to bounce off anyone that can help...

I saw that it can support Digital and Analog Tv? Im sure im just gonna realize that i ended up with the wrong one (analog one) but its worth a shot to see if it can.

I noticed I can redirect the Navi button, can we do the same for Radio ? and can I get the next and previous tracks to be more of a "global" next vs just a radio or cd?

Not that it matters but is there no "Location Settings" in the menu. I ran Google maps for the first time where it asks you to turn on Wifi Location services but i quickly hit cancel thinking i could do it later only to find out that it wasnt in the menu.

Hope this isnt too many questions, and just so i can give back to the community a tad bit...i noticed somebody on youtube was saying how he didnt have internet. I noticed that I had to set the time before i was able to access playstore, or even play pandora. Anyway hope we can fix some of these minor fixes to in my opinion one of the best head units in this pricerange to date.

Reactions: verygneiss

wesley.huddleston1

Jan 21, 2011
Not that it matters but is there no "Location Settings" in the menu. I ran Google maps for the first time where it asks you to turn on Wifi Location services but i quickly hit cancel thinking i could do it later only to find out that it wasnt in the menu.

Hope this isnt too many questions, and just so i can give back to the community a tad bit...i noticed somebody on youtube was saying how he didnt have internet. I noticed that I had to set the time before i was able to access playstore, or even play pandora. Anyway hope we can fix some of these minor fixes to in my opinion one of the best head units in this pricerange to date.

From the Gingerbread manual:
"Enable location services
You must have location services turned on to view your location in Maps and to use
your location to find local resources.
1 Press Home , press Menu , and touch Settings > Location & security.
2 Check the My Location options that you want to use.
Check Use wireless networks to allow the phone to determine your
approximate location by using Wi-Fi and mobile networks.
Check Use GPS satellites to allow your phone to determine your location to
street-level accuracy. (GPS works best when you have a clear view of the sky.)"

I hope that is helpful.

gsmarena1644

Sep 18, 2012
From the Gingerbread manual:
"Enable location services
You must have location services turned on to view your location in Maps and to use
your location to find local resources.
1 Press Home , press Menu , and touch Settings > Location & security.
2 Check the My Location options that you want to use.
Check Use wireless networks to allow the phone to determine your
approximate location by using Wi-Fi and mobile networks.
Check Use GPS satellites to allow your phone to determine your location to
street-level accuracy. (GPS works best when you have a clear view of the sky.)"

I hope that is helpful.
yea, thats the menu that i dont have the "location services"

Reactions: thuocconmeo

spazfishy

Jun 8, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MkPqfQAW-XI

Anyone get their units showing the Telephone Menu on top when they boot?

Also you can see in the menu that I don't have the location and security option? do you guys have one?

My unit does not show the telephone menu on top when it boots but it does show it on top when you receive or make a phone call.

It seems that although this is Android 2.4.1 it is a somewhat stripped version of it. For example bluetooth is not in the settings nor is this location option you are looking for. I'm not sure how you would get that option to present itself again. My only suggestions would be to try another app that requires this and see if that prompts you to enable it, look for a shortcut app in the play store that does the same thing, or restore back to factory.

I for one am super happy with this radio. It does far more than any top name brand market radio available but could be that much more awesome with ICS or a non limited version of android. Would be super cool if one of the devs got one and made it happen! I mean think about it.. Android in your car, it's awesome! No more car docks, no more where do I mount my phone! Just a huge awesome touchscreen with Google maps.. Lets do this!

Hopefully someone much more advanced than I will buy one and root it so we can make this happen. :silly:

Last edited:

spazfishy

Jun 8, 2007
Compliments of Gerry and his YouTube video review, linked are the update files for this unit. These files upgrade the units MCU version from 2.8.42 to 2.10.6-1-10-1 and System from 2.12.10 to version 2.12.32. This does not update the version of Android. Honestly I don't think anyone's knows exactly what the update does but hopefully it helps performance in some way and who doesn't want to be up to date. I am not sure where Gerry received these files and I hope he does not get mad at me for posting them here. :silly:

Instructions, there is a PDF file inside or check out Gerry's video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKNN69cmk2o

Enjoy!

http://www.cnkick.com/litb/Downfile/421645ROM_MCU2.10.6-1-10-12.12.32.zip

Last edited:

KRAZYADROIDMASTER

Feb 1, 2011
What don't you like about it??

I was looking at getting one.

DEVICES:

NEXUS 7 32GB STOCK
(NO ROOT)
T-MOBIL LG G2X (LG-P999)
STOCK (ROOTED)

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

vwman

May 2, 2011
Manage Bluetooth devices

Where do you manage Bluetooth devices? I am looking at getting a ODB2 Bluetooth read and running Torque on the stereo. I don't see it in the normal place that I am used to looking on my phone.

Thanks

Last edited:

Jake Bullit

Dec 22, 2006
Don't think obd 2will work within bt ,the bt is only for phone and music play back.
I have a Wi-Fi obd 2on order, will let you know if it works.

Sent from my HTC HD2

XlipZ

Jun 18, 2010
Cuiabá
Where do you manage Bluetooth devices? I am looking at getting a ODB2 Bluetooth read and running Torque on the stereo. I don't see it in the normal place that I am used to looking on my phone.

Thanks

Don't think obd 2will work within bt ,the bt is only for phone and music play back.
I have a Wi-Fi obd 2on order, will let you know if it works.

Sent from my HTC HD2

Is that true? I ordered a odb2 bt and in sequence i will buy this unit, but now i will wait your test with this Unit X Odb2!!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I made a new version of my custom firmware. You can find it here.

I added the loader for the radio with a capacitive screen in the archive.
    Thanks 949BFN !

If you have a radio with a capacitive screen, before firmware update, you must replace ”u-boot-skip.bin” file with “u-boot-skip.bin.capacitive” (rename by removing .capacitive)

Okay, I uploaded firmware to Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/e01g7pqifx66uoe/2013.3.26.MCU+2.10.8-1-10-1+system+2.13.6+Hal9k.rar

Changes made by me regarding stock version:
    • Builtin root (Superuser)
    • Support USB Bluetooth dongle to connect to the OBD2 ELM327 adapter with Bluetooth interface.
    • Support OBD2 ELM327 adapters with USB interface based on FTDI and pl2303 chips.
    • Ability to connect to Wi-Fi networks using the mode AdHoc, including OBD2 ELM327 adapters with Wi-Fi interface.
    • Supports large disks with NTFS through FUSE module
    • Automatically create APN settings in 3G-modem
    This firmware is made to Android 2.3.7.
    To get work Torque with USB OBD2-adapter, you must create file /etc/carit_version2 with "finland_rds_ru" line inside and assign permissions rw- r-- r-- to it.
    Firmware with root and bluetooth OBD 2

hi everyone
    I made a modified firmware for my Car Stereo TH8581 (is the same as Ouku) which adds root and support for external USB-Bluetooth adapters to connect Bluetooth ELM 327 (OBD 2)
    This is a link: 4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=314557&view=findpost&p=19624233
    Since it's difficult to me write in English, constantly checking with Google translate, I ask to kirill.lrnv translate my post on 4pda for English-speaking users.
    OUKU - Unbranded 6.2" 2 DIN Android Car Stereo Radio Head Unit

Android_Radio.jpg

System specs:

Operation System: Android 2.3.4
     CPU: FREESCALE I.MX535D Cortex A8 1GHz
     Ram: DDR3 512M
     iNand Momery: 4G
     OSD Languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Polish, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese

Russia Map is Not available.
     Specification
    System
    External Memory Up to 32GB/SD Card
    Features Built-in Bluetooth, GPS, iPod, RDS, 3D Interface, Steering Wheel Control, WiFi, Subwoofer Output, Games, Touch Screen, SD/USB Support
    Digital TV or Analog TV Analog TV
    Display Ratio 16:9
    Screen Size 6.2 inch
    Screen Resolution 800 x 480
    OSD Languages English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Polish, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese
    Media Type DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, AVI, MPEG4, CD, CD-R/RW, CD+R/RW, VCD, Mp3, WMA, JPEG, Mp4, DVD, WMV, MKV, WAV, JPG, TXT, PDF
    Radio Response Bandwidth AM: 522 KHz-1620 KHz;FM: 87.5 MHz-108 MHz

GPS
    GPS Card Slot Micro SD Card
    Support Map IGO, TOMTOM, Garmin, Sygic, Kudo
    Voice Navigation Yes
    Amplifier & Interface
    Amplifier Max Output Power / Channel Qty 45 Watts x 4
    Remote Control Yes
    Connector Type 1 x A/V IN, 1 x A/V OUT, 1 x REARCAMERA, 1 x STEERING WHEEL CONTROL, 1 x IPOD, 1 x TV ANTENNA, 1 x POWER, 1 x AUX-IN, 1 x SUBWOOFER, 1 x USB, 1 x GPS ANTENNA

General
    Type 2 Din
    Color Black
    What's in the box
    1 x DVD host
    1 x Remote control
    1 x User's manual
    1 x Cable set
    1 x iPod cable
    1 x WiFi USB Adapter
    1 x GPS antenna
    1 x Stylus pen
    Figured I would update the ROM to include steering wheel controls for all Android apps (there is only Next, Prev and Play/Pause, since there is no steering wheel control function for Stop and FFWD and RWD don't seem to work).

There are 4 versions:

Resistive USB OBDII SW Controls.zip
    - This is for resistive screen units that use a USB OBDII dongle with Torque Pro
    Resistive BT OBDII SW Controls.zip - This is for resistive screen units that use a BT OBDII dongle with Torque Pro
    Capacitive USB OBDII SW Controls.zip - This is for capacitive screen units that use a USB OBDII dongle with Torque Pro
    Capacitive BT OBDII SW Controls.zip - This is for capacitive screen units that use a BT OBDII dongle with Torque Pro

For anyone that doesn't want to flash a full rom, you can just place the keypad.kl file in the /system/usr/keylayout/ folder.

Controls will only work when none of the native apps (Ipod, Radio, DVD, TV, AuxIn, etc) are active, controls have been tested with Pandora, AOSP Gingerbread Music Player and Muisc Player Pro, but should work with pretty much any media player.

Credit to @donaldta for helping me figure out the correct name for the keylayout file

Use at your own risk. The updates don't include any MCU update so you should be safe to flash regardless of your MCU version.
    This firmware is for the Ouku unit.

For the sake of completeness I will update this post to show everything included in the most recent ROM:
    Based on the one from 7/16/13 originally edited by Hal9K_
    Built in root (Superuser)
    Support USB Bluetooth dongle to connect to the OBD2 ELM327 adapter with Bluetooth interface.
    Support OBD2 ELM327 adapters with USB interface based on FTDI and pl2303 chips.
    Ability to connect to Wi-Fi networks using the mode AdHoc, including OBD2 ELM327 adapters with Wi-Fi interface.
    Supports large disks with NTFS through FUSE module
    Automatically create APN settings in 3G-modem
    /cache fix allows downloading of large apps from the Play Store.
    Added cp210x.ko module for support of additional USB OBD2 adapters.
    Added keypad.kl file for support of SW controls in all Android apps.

Torque Pro USB versions include:
    carit_version2 file in /system/etc folder this allows Torque Pro to automatically use the supported USB OBD2 adapters.

If you don't plan on using Torque Pro you can download either version for your screen type.
    Hey, Gerry from YouTube here. Thanks for starting this thread. I hope this unit and units like it get some love in the future. I'd be thrilled to see some version of CyanogenMod on this thing. ;)

Here's my video review if anyone is interested.
    Ouku 6.2" Android Head Unit review