• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[OUTDATED AND NO LONGER SUPPORTED][SCRIPT] Kifno's HeroC Universal Scripts v1.x

Do you like my tweaked build.prop's?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

il Duce

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Feb 25, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
<incoherent_rambling>
The challenge in learning SD (or any discipline) and the greatest obstacle is not "what you know you don't know", but "what you don't know you don't know". It is really easy to get to a sense of certainty as your knowledge of a particular domain begins to grow. When you are a master of the hammer, there can be a tendency to want to use it to pound in screws and rivets as well. It is difficult to see how much of the iceberg is still below the surface while you are focusing on the visible.

Being too sure of what you think you know can be dangerous (it is intuitively obvious that the world is flat after all). It has definitely had me tilting at windmills more than once (along with people much smarter than I am). Remember that seeing or hearing something doesn't make it true.

So I recommend that you question what you think you know, and reflect early and often on what you see and hear from others. Children learn faster than adults because they have less certainty and more curiosity. On the road to mastery, a mood of childlike awe and wonder will carry you along much further and faster than one of certainty.
</incoherent_rambling>

jaybob413 for VILLAGE ELDER !!!!

I love your zenlike posts and the nice comparisons you make. Awesome. I love you.

fowenati

Sep 16, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I just randomly started hitting nearly 2mbps down and.5 up earlier today. Il post screenies in a min. Running v1.4

now at my house im only getting .5 down .7 up. Odd. I had 2 bars both times...

Last edited:

fowenati

Sep 16, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I was getting this regularly

Attachments

• CAP201104121600.jpg
    CAP201104121600.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 136
  • CAP2011041216001.jpg
    CAP2011041216001.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
A

AspenTree

Agreed. There are plenty of examples of this including the SS4N1 scripts that append a service definition to /system/etc/init.local.rc as Jason previously recommended. First rule of software development, use what already works, and extend as needed. Plagiarize early and often (with proper credits). In my experience, the number one cause of defective software comes from moving too quickly to "Gentlemen......., start your keyboards!". The SS4N1 scripts are probably a very good place to analyze and leverage what works into a design for what you are trying to accomplish. If you completely understand what is going on there, you can probably design a solution that will do what you want, based on practices that are known to work.

The challenge in learning SD (or any discipline) and the greatest obstacle is not "what you know you don't know", but "what you don't know you don't know". It is really easy to get to a sense of certainty as your knowledge of a particular domain begins to grow. When you are a master of the hammer, there can be a tendency to want to use it to pound in screws and rivets as well. It is difficult to see how much of the iceberg is still below the surface while you are focusing on the visible.

Being too sure of what you think you know can be dangerous (it is intuitively obvious that the world is flat after all). It has definitely had me tilting at windmills more than once (along with people much smarter than I am). Remember that seeing or hearing something doesn't make it true.

So I recommend that you question what you think you know, and reflect early and often on what you see and hear from others. Children learn faster than adults because they have less certainty and more curiosity. On the road to mastery, a mood of childlike awe and wonder will carry you along much further and faster than one of certainty.

The structure of your viewpoint is ultimately based on the domains:

What you don't know you don't know
What you know you don't know
What you know you know (or THINK you do)

The more you can move from the red to the blue and green, the more choices you will have. When you are convinced something is in the GREEN when it is actually in the RED, you will struggle accordingly. The problem for a lot of people is that they aren't even aware of the RED
and work as hard as they can to deny the existence of the BLUE.

Anyway, apologies for the rambling, and good luck with your continuing efforts.

Thanks that was a awesome speech :) but I can't do much until my charger gets here BC no desktop anymore, battery is dead forever on laptop, and dog chewed on new charger. So I just bought a new laptop charger and will make my laptop a light weight almost portable desktop. But when I get it I'll be finding out a lot of what I don't know I know by tons of research.

Edit: thanks again :D

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA Premium App

ehusidic

Jul 27, 2010
Fort Wayne
Would it be ok to use both the bl and mp tweaks at the same time? I always assumed the mp would use more battery so the bl would be pointless to have then? But if you could have better bl and mp at the same time I dont see why not haha.

silberj

Oct 3, 2010
Vine Grove, KY
Agreed. There are plenty of examples of this including the SS4N1 scripts that append a service definition to /system/etc/init.local.rc as Jason previously recommended. First rule of software development, use what already works, and extend as needed. Plagiarize early and often (with proper credits). In my experience, the number one cause of defective software comes from moving too quickly to "Gentlemen......., start your keyboards!". The SS4N1 scripts are probably a very good place to analyze and leverage what works into a design for what you are trying to accomplish. If you completely understand what is going on there, you can probably design a solution that will do what you want, based on practices that are known to work.

<incoherent_rambling>

The structure of your viewpoint is ultimately based on the domains:

What you don't know you don't know
What you know you don't know
What you know you know (or THINK you do)

The more you can move from the red to the blue and green, the more choices you will have. When you are convinced something is in the GREEN when it is actually in the RED, you will struggle accordingly. The problem for a lot of people is that they aren't even aware of the RED
and work as hard as they can to deny the existence of the BLUE.

</incoherent_rambling>

Anyway, apologies for the rambling, and good luck with your continuing efforts.

I wish I had the knowledge to understand your vast knowledge!

"Dude! Where do you get your weed? From you Dante..... Oh yeah, Hey Mr. Cheezle!"

A

AspenTree

hey everyone not to be mean or anything just i have to use my time wisely tonight

im going to make tonight all about ginersense because right now that is my main focus. but don't worry when my laptop charger arrives (i found out that buy.com will have it to me by monday - wednesday next week....:() i'll have another v1.5 test up for you all that i'm sure will be much better than this last v1.5 test :D

don't worry since i don't have everything i need i can't multi-task like i usually do and get a lot done in one day but that'll change when my new charger gets here :D

just wanted to let you all know that i haven't given up on this

A

AspenTree

nope this is only a test release and pssssss (it is not to good right now wait until i release the next test release if you would like to test it before i release stable ;))

fowenati

Sep 16, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Why don't you make 1.4 Available, It has worked for me and a few friends phones who I put it on, receiving 500kbps+ Down and Up, really flawless for me (see a couple pages back for my speeds sometimes).

A

AspenTree

If you want an older build, pm me :D I'd be glad to provide you with a link :)

Also my charger hasn't arrived yet :mad:

But patience is key because then I can compile my builds for my rom's and script more :)

bobloiy

Jan 17, 2011
kifno, i want to know why my build prop wont work. i did uncapped 768,1.5 and no battery tweak this time. i used setcpu before flashing this tweak if that matters(sobe ap5) and im running aosp 2.3 latest version(3/26)

A

AspenTree

Sorry everyone I was busy with GingerSense (I didn't get to finish it because my mom's desktop is slow and internet is slow but I'm trying to make it work for now ).

Anyway as with any mod, tweak, rom, etc. Start with the latest and if it isn't working then go back a release and try that to see if that works better. Repeat that until you find one of my old releases that works (I'd go with v1.2...).

http://www.mediafire.com/?0pm740g4xv0b0

In the meantime I'm working on a big v1.5 update that I wont release for testing this weekend because I won't have enough time to finish all my updates to the script and test. But!!! It will most likely be released next week sometime.

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA Premium App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thread closed.
    Back on topic...

I have been monitoring this thread wondering when I need to jump in and the time is now. XDA is a place for leaning and developers should be responsible when releasing their work.

Having said that, kifno is free to release his work as long as he abides by the forum rules. Members SHOULD post feedback about the work released in this thread…BUT...the bickering back and forth needs to stop. This is a PUBLIC forum and it is not the place for arguments. I have cleaned this thread (a little) and I ask that this thread gets back on topic and stays there.

Members should carefully research anything before they even consider putting them on their device. In other words....FLASHER BEWARE. ;)

If anyone feels the need to respond to me please do not do it in this thread send me a PM.

Thanks in advance.

krook6023 (mod team)
    ... v1.6 will be strictly my work only ... I'm doing the things I used others work to do, my own way ... strictly kifno work ... I'm just thinking of some more kernel tweaks for ipv4 network connections, and I'm thinking of other tweaks to do to other root files ...

<personal opinion>
    For a previous employer, I spent more years than I would care to admit as a software architect, and I can testify that I have never produced anything that was not a derivative work, everything was based on synthesis, expansion, and integration of others work. (I would, however claim that in many cases the derivation produced a result that others found valuable, and in most cases required a non-trivial effort.) I would also say that every software developer I know would, in honesty, have to say the same. The "their work" / "my work" dichotomy misses the basic point that we are all dependent on the environment that has been created by those who came before us. Placing the last brick on the pyramid does not make one responsible for the building of the pyramid. There can certainly be value added in producing derivative works, but it is dependent on the community of practice that has developed and built the environment that we are trying to move forward.

"We are like dwarfs perched on the shoulders of giants, and thus we are able to see more and farther than the latter. And this is not at all because of the acuteness of our sight or the stature of our body, but because we are carried aloft and elevated by the magnitude of the giants"
    - Bernard of Chartres - 12th Century

"If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    - Isaac Newton - 17th Century

My personal opinion is that one of the reasons others give you such a hard time is that there is a communication gap created by a perception of a lack of humility along with a lack or appreciation/accreditation for those who came before. This may not be your intention, but I can see how people can come to that perspective. The meaning of any communication is determined by the receiver with the burden being on the speaker to produce a shared interpretation. The interpretation the listener makes is the communication received, regardless of the interpretation you intended to produce. I believe that you would be better served by claiming less, crediting more, and leaving the assessment of value to others. In the open market, it is the consumer who ultimately determines the value of any offer. You cannot build a reputation for excellence by personal declaration of the greatness of your offer, only by the assessment of others who perceive a commitment to excellence and declare the value that the offer produced.

It is extremely difficult to support a claim of completely original work in this space, when there is a preponderance of prior art using similar approaches. It's like building a car and declaring you are not going to use wheels, because you didn't invent them, then later claiming "Yes, I used wheels, but these wheels are completely different". As you have seen, people will look for evidence of prior art, and they will find it. The value added is not in the "invention", but in the "innovation" (adoption by a community of practice).
    </personal opinion>
    FYI: There is a new app in the market called Battery Calibration that will reset your batterystats.bin file once the phone is fully charged, so you can use it and forget about it and not boot back into recovery..