Outdoor visibility (max brightness)

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
Rate this thread to express how well you can see the Google Pixel 2's display outdoors. In case you've been playing Minecraft for 18 months straight, you might not known how to get outside anymore. Well, find the door and walk through it. A higher rating indicates that it has very high maximum brightness and thus fantastic outdoor visibility in direct sunlight.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

Reactions: JohnHHH

JohnHHH

Oct 21, 2017
Brightness level has been noticeably lower than my previous phone the oneplus 3. In the full sunlight it is... Tolerable

PuffDaddy_d

Aug 29, 2010
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6 Pro
My Honor 8 gets noticeably brighter at the max setting. What I don't know yet is does the Pixel have the adaptive contrast feature that automatically boosts the darker sections of the image in direct sunlight for better visibility? Granted, you have to have this option enabled under developer options (make the screen easier to read in direct sunlight).

seabro01

Dec 1, 2015
It's about as bright as my OnePlus 3T. More than bright enough for sunny days. Only phone I've had that was too dim at 100% in sunlight was the Nexus 6.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RobbH

May 30, 2011
I'd hate to live where you are, is it permanently cloudy? In bright sun, that sometimes appears in the UK, I'd say that it's not bright enough, even at 100%

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

In the U.S. state of Georgia, just south of the 34th parallel, approximately 45 minutes after the sun was at zenith, one week before the summer solstice, my Pixel 2 was readable in direct sunlight with brightness set to 30% and adaptive brightness on.

I'm not disputing your report, but I don't know how to reconcile it with mine.

RobbH

May 30, 2011
Thinking about this some more, my guess is that we're talking about very different things. As I said, at 30% with adaptive brightness on, my Pixel 2 is readable in direct sun and (updating) even when the sun is about five minutes away from its highest point in the sky on the day of the summer solstice. That's at a location just barely within the northern subtropical zone. 3dd1 said it's not bright enough at 100% in bright sunlight in the UK.

Those two statements are not necessarily contradictory. When I say it's "readable," I mean just that: the screen can be read, but not necessarily comfortably. The crucial point is that you can read it well enough to adjust screen brightness, if needed. I've had plenty of phones that could not be read well enough to do that in sunlight. (That's why I have a Tasker profile that sets brightness to maximum when I flip the phone over twice rapidly.)

3dd1 did not say the screen isn't readable, just that it's not bright enough. And that's quite possible, even though it's not my experience or my opinion.

palebluerider

Jun 25, 2018
Just got my Pixel 2 XL last week.

I don't use adaptive mode, and it seems usable for me in direct sunlight if you push the slider to like 90%.

On my S8, the brightness is sufficient that you can leave the slider on 60-70% even in direct sunlight. I'm pretty objective and the screen was the best feature of the S8. Not fan-boying for Samsung at all.

I have both here and there is just no way I'm going back after using the stormtrooper for a few days.

seabro01

Dec 1, 2015
It's been really sunny where I live in Northern California. Tested the brightness in direct sunlight and the screen was easily readable at just under 50 % brightness.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rate this thread to express how well you can see the Google Pixel 2's display outdoors. In case you've been playing Minecraft for 18 months straight, you might not known how to get outside anymore. Well, find the door and walk through it. A higher rating indicates that it has very high maximum brightness and thus fantastic outdoor visibility in direct sunlight.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
    I was expecting this thing to outshine the sun for $1000. It's only marginally better at full brightness than my Nexus 6.

The pixel 2 costs $649.99 USDA
    You are about $350 off bub.