Outlook.com EAS burning through App Passwords

JdeFalconr

Nov 27, 2007
I have an Outlook.com email account (@hotmail.com, actually) and 2FA on my Microsoft account. Per https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...mail-app-71147974-7aca-491b-978a-ab15e360434c I have the Gmail app configured to use ActiveSync to connect to my account and I've been using it in that configuration for a long time now. To get past the 2FA requirement for login Microsoft accounts have an "app password" you can generate that works as a non-2FA password to allow "applications" such as Gmail to log in.

Recently - the past few weeks - for some reason Gmail on my phone will tell me I need to reenter my creds for mail to sync. When I reenter the same creds I've been using it tells me it can't reach the server (BS). If I log in to my Microsoft account and generate a new app password Gmail takes it, resumes syncing, and does so for anywhere from a few hours to a few days. At that point it all starts over and I have to generate a new app password.

I've tried clearing out Gmail's data along with a force stop, then re-adding the account just as it was before. Unfortunately the same problems starts happening again. I have this same EAS configuration set up on other devices (an iPad for one) and it works flawlessly without this credential issue. Any ideas what could be going wrong here?

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone