Overall love

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
Yes, yes, it's possible to love a phone. Heck, you sleep next to it, don't you? Rate this thread to indicate your love for the HTC U Ultra, all things considered. A higher rating indicates that the HTC U Ultra is an incredible phone that you enjoy tremendously. You love it. :eek:

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

petvas

Feb 25, 2009
Mannheim
I just got my black HTC U Ultra and I am loving it so far. Of course I am still in the honeymoon phase with the ultra, so here are my first thoughts:

This is a great phone for people that like phablets and don't want to use phones with different aspect ratios, like the S8 and the LG G6.
The display is amazing and I prefer it to AMOLED displays. The camera is better than the one found in the HTC 10 and the second display is very useful to me. I love how notifications appear in the second display.
Audio quality is excellent and battery life is very good, despite the relatively small battery installed.
The design is great and the black model doesn't show any fingerprints.
The only thing I don't like is that the bottom speaker on the left side is. I would prefer to have it on the bottom right.
Overall I am happy with the Ultra and I don't understand the bad reviews. This device deserves more.

Dogmann

Jan 27, 2007
London
Hi all,
I had my M8 for a little over 3 years and loved it but decided I wanted a new phone and at first was drawn to the Pixel XL but there was something that just didn't feel right about it to me really not sure what it was but it was there. Also I really don't like AMOLED screens despite what the majority seem to feel so that was another thing that drew me to the U Ultra. I manged to get an awesome deal on a 2 day old Black U Ultra although I think I would of still got one even if I had to pay full price to me HTC just build awesome phones and this one doesn't disappoint on build quality either. The screen really is just beautiful and no sign of light bleeding anywhere and I use mine of full brightness nearly all of the time and with very dark based wallpapers to. I am finding the 2nd display to be really useful and a good addition and also don't get all the negative reviews and general hate that so many are giving for this phone. I chose this over any of the other so called flagship phones and have no regrets at all and seriously don't get all the fuss made about only having a Snapdragon 821 as I really think the differences between it and the 835 are going to be so slight as not to not really be worth worrying about. Same goes for the battery size non issue IMO as I'm sure everyone would be complaining about how much heavier the phone would be with a larger battery and the fact it has fast charging sort of negates this issue to IMO plus it easily lasts me a day anyway.
Marc

NightOrchid

Apr 21, 2011
I just got my black HTC U Ultra and I am loving it so far. Of course I am still in the honeymoon phase with the ultra, so here are my first thoughts:

This is a great phone for people that like phablets and don't want to use phones with different aspect ratios, like the S8 and the LG G6.
The display is amazing and I prefer it to AMOLED displays. The camera is better than the one found in the HTC 10 and the second display is very useful to me. I love how notifications appear in the second display.
Audio quality is excellent and battery life is very good, despite the relatively small battery installed.
The only thing I don't like is that the bottom speaker on the left side is. I would prefer to have it on the bottom right.
Overall I am happy with the Ultra and I don't understand the bad reviews. This device deserves more.

I was going to leave a review.. but youve said everything I wanted too.. so.. Yes its awesome and why the hate is beyond me, but you know... strange how everyone bashes the U Ultra for its so-called waste of space... yet funny how no-one bashes the ugly looking Google Pixel / Pixel XL for its huge frame and big "wasted" bezel chins .. or the iPhone for their chins / bezels, sounds childish doesnt it......... thats because it is, but its the fashion :)

My only complaint is, no not the USB headphones, but that, at this price, HTC didnt include a £1 ( $2 ) USB-C - 3.5 mm adaptor in the box.

Im afraid, at the moment.. HTC and the U Ultra are "in Vogue" to hate on and bash, but no doubt, it'll be Huaweis turn next year

I do love my U Ultra :)

Last edited:
Reactions: duttyend

avivasaf

Apr 24, 2011
After 2 months of use, i can say this is one of the best smartphone this year. Im changing phones like socks, the last one was oneplus 3t,and i can say htc u beats him in all parameters. The battery life is better than oneplus 3450 ma battery, the camera at the top only i iPhone 7s beats him(and i had it to) sense is the best android launcher and os ever, the only bad thing is the down bottoms that are to close to the edge and it is hard to get used to it. Overall 9/10 points to htc u ultra!

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Reactions: duttyend
Apr 3, 2017
Athens
Greetings everyone.

I thought I'd share my $.02 with you regarding the Ultra. This past year I've owned a 1+2, a Nexus 6, a 1+3T and now this. I honestly don't get the negative reviews. It's super fast, the built quality is great, the screen is awesome, the battery lasts a day (or about 4,5 sot) which is the same as the 1+3T used to. The second screen is quite useful and I don't give a rat's ass if it was originally seen on an LG. The sound is very good although it could do with stereo speakers while IMHO the Sense UI is light years ahead that of Samsung or LG.

I also bought it for 400 euros which is a bargain considering 1+3Ts are going over here for 470 brand new even at this moment.

My only complaint is that you can't charge and use the headphones at the same time, but what the heck. I'd also like to see more custom ROMs for this great device.

Anyone having second thoughts or being troubled by reviews, don't be mistaken: the U ultra is one hell of a phablet with certain features you won't find elsewhere. Just look for the right price.

Reactions: EZY-E and duttyend

MaPBe

Nov 6, 2015
I kinda love mine as well. I've never had a HTC before but I am pretty sure this wont be the last one

Last edited:

gioyocho

May 4, 2012
Hallo people. I have now Htc u ultra 128GB and i wanna share you pros and cons.

pros:
build quality (without cases)
speakers
cameras
screen colors
speed
fast charge time (15%-100% 1h:30m)
no heating
high Memory storage

cons:
it is so big
battery life is weak for me
htc has no my own Georgian language (but in 8.0 update they say will be)
it is little heavy

i had early time Oneplus 3T and battery life was just amazing. htc u ultra 3000 mAh is so bad if you are a gamer, or using 4G, or often taking pictures and videos. should be 3500 mAh. i am everyday charging my phone. but Oneplus 3T has metal body and it was heating so much, then was lagg

Can anyone share how is the sound quality/loudness through headphones?
Especially loudness.

I'm quite impressed by the quality of the sound through the supplied headphones. Granted, they aren't studio monitors or $300 Sennheiser's, but if you run the app to tune the sound to your ears, they are pretty good. I haven't tried them at full volume, but just to the limit where Android gives you the pop up about loud music. All in all, 4/5.

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

I've only had my U Ultra for just over a day, and I'm quite impressed with it. This isn't my first HTC (first was the Amaze 4G), and aside from the disappointing m8 that I had, HTC keeps making underrated flagships. I'm surprised how little fanfare this phone has gotten, despite having the best camera I've used in a smartphone (even using an iPhone 6S for a time). When Oreo does come to us, then this should be an even better phone!

lee88

Jan 28, 2018
Subang Jaya
I'm quite impressed by the quality of the sound through the supplied headphones. Granted, they aren't studio monitors or $300 Sennheiser's, but if you run the app to tune the sound to your ears, they are pretty good. I haven't tried them at full volume, but just to the limit where Android gives you the pop up about loud music. All in all, 4/5.

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

I've only had my U Ultra for just over a day, and I'm quite impressed with it. This isn't my first HTC (first was the Amaze 4G), and aside from the disappointing m8 that I had, HTC keeps making underrated flagships. I'm surprised how little fanfare this phone has gotten, despite having the best camera I've used in a smartphone (even using an iPhone 6S for a time). When Oreo does come to us, then this should be an even better phone!

You used the stock camera app?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi all,
    I had my M8 for a little over 3 years and loved it but decided I wanted a new phone and at first was drawn to the Pixel XL but there was something that just didn't feel right about it to me really not sure what it was but it was there. Also I really don't like AMOLED screens despite what the majority seem to feel so that was another thing that drew me to the U Ultra. I manged to get an awesome deal on a 2 day old Black U Ultra although I think I would of still got one even if I had to pay full price to me HTC just build awesome phones and this one doesn't disappoint on build quality either. The screen really is just beautiful and no sign of light bleeding anywhere and I use mine of full brightness nearly all of the time and with very dark based wallpapers to. I am finding the 2nd display to be really useful and a good addition and also don't get all the negative reviews and general hate that so many are giving for this phone. I chose this over any of the other so called flagship phones and have no regrets at all and seriously don't get all the fuss made about only having a Snapdragon 821 as I really think the differences between it and the 835 are going to be so slight as not to not really be worth worrying about. Same goes for the battery size non issue IMO as I'm sure everyone would be complaining about how much heavier the phone would be with a larger battery and the fact it has fast charging sort of negates this issue to IMO plus it easily lasts me a day anyway.
    Marc
    Greetings everyone.

I thought I'd share my $.02 with you regarding the Ultra. This past year I've owned a 1+2, a Nexus 6, a 1+3T and now this. I honestly don't get the negative reviews. It's super fast, the built quality is great, the screen is awesome, the battery lasts a day (or about 4,5 sot) which is the same as the 1+3T used to. The second screen is quite useful and I don't give a rat's ass if it was originally seen on an LG. The sound is very good although it could do with stereo speakers while IMHO the Sense UI is light years ahead that of Samsung or LG.

I also bought it for 400 euros which is a bargain considering 1+3Ts are going over here for 470 brand new even at this moment.

My only complaint is that you can't charge and use the headphones at the same time, but what the heck. I'd also like to see more custom ROMs for this great device.

Anyone having second thoughts or being troubled by reviews, don't be mistaken: the U ultra is one hell of a phablet with certain features you won't find elsewhere. Just look for the right price.

I was going to leave a review.. but youve said everything I wanted too.. so.. Yes its awesome and why the hate is beyond me, but you know... strange how everyone bashes the U Ultra for its so-called waste of space... yet funny how no-one bashes the ugly looking Google Pixel / Pixel XL for its huge frame and big "wasted" bezel chins .. or the iPhone for their chins / bezels, sounds childish doesnt it......... thats because it is, but its the fashion :)

My only complaint is, no not the USB headphones, but that, at this price, HTC didnt include a £1 ( $2 ) USB-C - 3.5 mm adaptor in the box.

Im afraid, at the moment.. HTC and the U Ultra are "in Vogue" to hate on and bash, but no doubt, it'll be Huaweis turn next year

I do love my U Ultra :)
    After 2 months of use, i can say this is one of the best smartphone this year. Im changing phones like socks, the last one was oneplus 3t,and i can say htc u beats him in all parameters. The battery life is better than oneplus 3450 ma battery, the camera at the top only i iPhone 7s beats him(and i had it to) sense is the best android launcher and os ever, the only bad thing is the down bottoms that are to close to the edge and it is hard to get used to it. Overall 9/10 points to htc u ultra!

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using XDA-Developers Legacy app
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone