Overall love

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
Yes, yes, it's possible to love a phone. Heck, you sleep next to it, don't you? Rate this thread to indicate your love for the , all things considered. A higher rating indicates that the is an incredible phone that you enjoy tremendously. You love it. :eek:

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

catchawabbit

Oct 28, 2016
here are my impressions of the phone - i only have it two days so opinion might change.

Pros
Camera fantastic as always - posted some samples in the other thread
Build quality feels like a premium device. love the way it feels - i still use the fabric case though
Display is amazing, smooth, colors vibrant, had no issues in the direct sunlight.
Very fast, it's the first phone where i didn't change animations to .5 - i kept it in default
its charging pretty fast
Speakers are definitely loud but the device doesn't vibrate like P3 used to
Assistant is for sure smarter and faster

Cons
its heavy and hard to handle at times - please note i use the fabric case so it added some weight to it
Motion sense to me is more of a gimmick and so far i found a bug, for example i am at the gym and i want to skip the song, it actually just replays the current song, hopefully this is an isolated issue
Battery life not so great i get around 6-7 hours of SOT but fb and instagram were draining my battery - i restricted them now
Notifications preview. So they are not present at least with the face unlock on. what i mean by it is this - the phone is next to me and i receive an email or a message. which means i can't double tap in order to see it, i have to pick up the device, unlock it then decide to act on it. I would prefer a double tap and being able to see a message, but that's just me.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Notifications preview. So they are not present at least with the face unlock on. what i mean by it is this - the phone is next to me and i receive an email or a message. which means i can't double tap in order to see it, i have to pick up the device, unlock it then decide to act on it. I would prefer a double tap and being able to see a message, but that's just me.
Isn't there an option to still see and interact with the lockscreen with face unlock on?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ZeroKool76

Oct 21, 2014
here are my impressions of the phone - i only have it two days so opinion might change.

Pros
Build quality feels like a premium device. love the way it feels - i still use the fabric case though
Display is amazing, smooth, colors vibrant, had no issues in the direct sunlight.
Very fast, it's the first phone where i didn't change animations to .5 - i kept it in default
its charging pretty fast

Cons
its heavy and hard to handle at times - please note i use the fabric case so it added some weight to it
Motion sense to me is more of a gimmick and so far i found a bug, for example i am at the gym and i want to skip the song, it actually just replays the current song, hopefully this is an isolated issue
Battery life not so great i get around 6-7 hours of SOT but fb and instagram were draining my battery - i restricted them now
6-7hrs SOT, over the span of a day, is quite acceptable to me. Thank you for this summary. ??

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Isn't there an option to still see and interact with the lockscreen with face unlock on?
I thought there was an option, using soli. If you brought your hand over the device, it would light the screen up and then when you took your hand away it would turn back off. Kind of like Ambient on demand

bricekin

Oct 23, 2019
South Bend

Pros
its charging pretty fast

Cons
Great review. Mine just showed up today but I refuse to use it until the case gets here tomorrow. I actually love the weight. It feels like a quality piece of equipment. So far the only thing I've done with it is dropped it on my wireless charger to top off the battery. I haven't even turned it on yet, but I'm a bit concerned. It's been on my dock for about 5 hours and has only gone from 64% to 94%. I know they don't fast charge unless its a Pixel stand, but holy crap.

catchawabbit

Oct 28, 2016
Great review. Mine just showed up today but I refuse to use it until the case gets here tomorrow. I actually love the weight. It feels like a quality piece of equipment. So far the only thing I've done with it is dropped it on my wireless charger to top off the battery. I haven't even turned it on yet, but I'm a bit concerned. It's been on my dock for about 5 hours and has only gone from 64% to 94%. I know they don't fast charge unless its a Pixel stand, but holy crap.
Thanks! I didn't use a wireless charger but it tops of pretty fast on a regular pixel charger..
When it comes to the weight. I do have a fabric case though this might be the problem. I refuse to use it without the case :)

Last edited:

bricekin

Oct 23, 2019
South Bend
Thanks! I didn't use a wireless charger but it tops of pretty fast on a regular pixel charger..
When it comes to the weight. I do have a fabric case though this might be the problem. I refuse to use it without the case :)
After finally getting it set up and a couple hours a play on it. I tossed it back on my cheap wireless charger and it said 45 minutes from 82% to full. I guess it charges faster when it's on than it does when it's off.

manners400

Jun 27, 2012
I must say.... This phone looks much better in person & the back feel is awesome. My very 1st thought was how the camera module looks smaller then anticipated in regards to the phone size and it's way nicer in person... time to set this thing up!!!

gettinwicked

Aug 8, 2013
St Louis

I thought something was wrong with it too. It looks like they did it backwards... Swiping my hand to the right skips back to the beginning, twice to a prior song. Swipe to the left skips to the next song. No idea why they would have done that. We should definitely send feedback on it.

Also, I do agree it's pretty gimmicky, however, I still think it's kind of cool. I haven't figured out the notifications piece, but if it works like they say, it will be great considering the face unlock thing you mentioned. That annoys me too.

I wonder what all applications for this Google had in mind when they made this? It'd be cool to know what they have in store for it. Putting all that stuff in the forehead just for swiping songs and whatever seems pretty lame to me.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
I thought something was wrong with it too. It looks like they did it backwards... Swiping my hand to the right skips back to the beginning, twice to a prior song. Swipe to the left skips to the next song. No idea why they would have done that. We should definitely send feedback on it.
It's because it mimicks swiping on the phone. It's as if you're swiping an album cover on the right (next track) over to the screen to play. That's how I see it at least. No different than how you scroll down by swiping up. Isn't there a setting to flip the gestures though?

Reactions: gettinwicked

gettinwicked

Aug 8, 2013
St Louis
It's because it mimicks swiping on the phone. It's as if you're swiping an album cover on the right (next track) over to the screen to play. That's how I see it at least. No different than how you scroll down by swiping up. Isn't there a setting to flip the gestures though?

I checked and there is! I definitely missed that in settings. Thanks!

catchawabbit

Oct 28, 2016
One thing is for sure. This phone is getting a lot of hate from the reviews.. I really don't understand why.
Yes it doesn't have a wide angle camera (I'll post a pic bellow). For me it's wide enough.

Battery life is not stellar but it's manageable. I just top it off in a middle of the day and it's good to go

Attachments

the.emilio

Nov 17, 2011
Northern Mexico... AKA South Central Texas
One thing is for sure. This phone is getting a lot of hate from the reviews.. I really don't understand why.
Yes it doesn't have a wide angle camera (I'll post a pic bellow). For me it's wide enough.

Battery life is not stellar but it's manageable. I just top it off in a middle of the day and it's good to go
Yeah those reviews are dumb. But they get paid to be critical. Every phone has it's flaw. I could care less for a wide angle lens. That's the only thing someone can complain about because aside from that this is top notch.