Overclocked kernel - Tests

Search This thread

frygost

Feb 4, 2010
Hi,

I have made some test using "membench" at different CPU speed and the best result was at 600Mhz (~4.4Mo/s) comparing to other value (528 and 728 ~ 3.5Mo/s)

I don't know why, if someone can confirm my result it could be intersting to investigate ?

Bye

minus21

May 24, 2009
Something is happening

First, Let me disclaim any impression that I have an in-depth knowledge of how any of this works. That being said, Let me explain....

I am desperate for high speeds on my existing device, as we all are. I installed Pershoot's overclocking kernel, which only goes to a Max 550mhz, on cyanogen 4.2.14.1. I have "observed" (I know observations are not everything) higher speeds and responsiveness. Also lower battery life. I then installed eugene's kernel on superD, and did not have as much luck. I also flashed many other ROM's with eugene's kernel patches in them, with not much of a significant speed increase. On one of the Flashing adventures, my phone automatically "overclocked" itself to 780 on boot, and almost melted in my hand!!! Thank god I had a freezer near by. So, I am sticking with Pershoot's kernel on cyanongen 4.2.14.1. So here is my question, long overdue.
How is it that my phone almost melted, and battery life decreased significantly, and also clear speed increases are present, if these kernels are doing "nothing"? Listen, I'm not here to ruffle any feathers, just trying to keep the dream alive. Of course, most of you know WAY more than I do.

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
First, Let me disclaim any impression that I have an in-depth knowledge of how any of this works. That being said, Let me explain....

I am desperate for high speeds on my existing device, as we all are. I installed Pershoot's overclocking kernel, which only goes to a Max 550mhz, on cyanogen 4.2.14.1. I have "observed" (I know observations are not everything) higher speeds and responsiveness. Also lower battery life. I then installed eugene's kernel on superD, and did not have as much luck. I also flashed many other ROM's with eugene's kernel patches in them, with not much of a significant speed increase. On one of the Flashing adventures, my phone automatically "overclocked" itself to 780 on boot, and almost melted in my hand!!! Thank god I had a freezer near by. So, I am sticking with Pershoot's kernel on cyanongen 4.2.14.1. So here is my question, long overdue.
How is it that my phone almost melted, and battery life decreased significantly, and also clear speed increases are present, if these kernels are doing "nothing"? Listen, I'm not here to ruffle any feathers, just trying to keep the dream alive. Of course, most of you know WAY more than I do.
Think about it this way:
The Kernel thinks it can go higher than it really can so it ramps up the CPU to higher speeds faster and keeps it there longer because it thinks the CPU is designed to go even higher and it's just running the CPU at the middle of the road speeds.
Set your phone to run at 527mhz always and you will see the same increase in performance and decrease in battery life.

On another note:
I wonder if people with 32b/32a hybrids can prove the PLL's set in radio theory.
You can flash the MyTouch3G (32b) with a 32a Radio and just flash 32a ROMs (which fixes the issues with the bluetooth and such.) I wonder if their PLL's now match 32a device's PLL's instead of 32b device's.

voxluna

Jan 3, 2009
SE Michigan
en.wikipedia.org
OT

17909_full.jpg
Frigging excellent.

Last edited:

minus21

May 24, 2009
That makes Sense...

Think about it this way:
The Kernel thinks it can go higher than it really can so it ramps up the CPU to higher speeds faster and keeps it there longer because it thinks the CPU is designed to go even higher and it's just running the CPU at the middle of the road speeds.
Set your phone to run at 527mhz always and you will see the same increase in performance and decrease in battery life.

On another note:
I wonder if people with 32b/32a hybrids can prove the PLL's set in radio theory.
You can flash the MyTouch3G (32b) with a 32a Radio and just flash 32a ROMs (which fixes the issues with the bluetooth and such.) I wonder if their PLL's now match 32a device's PLL's instead of 32b device's.

Thanks for this explanation, that makes perfect sense....unfortunately....I guess the dream really is dead...

fstluxe

Sep 15, 2009
New York
Android 692 MHZ

Thanks for the explanations,
but i still have one maybe Not bad question !..

i have also a blackstone with loaded android 2.1 through Harret (linux kernel loader) but if someone take a look to this :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=624808

First of all..I apologize for my bad english!!!

Changelog v1.9:
-Stripped system:now apps in AndroidApps folder except for core apps
-Enabled ADB
-Some Telephony improvement (UMTS works a bit faster)
-CPU overclocked to 630Mhz (clock frequency can be changed in STARTUP.TXT)
-Zipaligned all apps

THANKS to all kernel developers.

[

i have tested this out if i change the frequency in the txt startup file to acpuclock.oc_freq_khz=695000 then the cpu speed show 692(if i try to go beyond that like 710 MHZ the phone Wil Hung so i know the max with the default voltage is 692 MHZ) in android and if benchmark with setCPU i get a 580 ms Score(setcpu) and if i use the 528 frequency i get +- 800/900 score again with setCPU

so the question is why is t working on the blackstone and other winMobile devices Are the kernel develepors doing something else to the kernel or radio ?.. maybe some of you knows the ensure.

(sorry for my English i really tried Did my best..)

Last edited:

Ace42

Jul 20, 2009
New York
Moto G Power
Motorola Edge

i have also a blackstone with loaded android 2.1 through Harret (linux kernel loader) but if someone take a look to this :

i have tested this out if i change the frequency in the txt startup file to acpuclock.oc_freq_khz=695000 then the cpu speed show 692(if i try to go beyond that like 710 MHZ the phone Wil Hung so i know the max with the default voltage is 692 MHZ) in android and if benchmark with setCPU i get a 580 ms Score(setcpu) and if i use the 528 frequency i get +- 800/900 score again with setCPU

so the question is why is t working on the blackstone and other winMobile devices Are the kernel develepors doing something else to the kernel or radio ?.. maybe some of you knows the ensure.

The MSM 7200 in the Dream/MT3G is unable to go beyond 528, bur 768 worked but the phone didn't work with that freq.

fstluxe

Sep 15, 2009
New York
The MSM 7200 in the Dream/MT3G is unable to go beyond 528, bur 768 worked but the phone didn't work with that freq.

so the question is why is t Possible to run 692 MHZ i linux kernelto load android/ubuntu on the blackstone and other winMobile devices Are the kernel develepors doing something else to the kernel or radio ?.. maybe some of you knows the ensure.

okeey .. but the question = How Did the Did the job to run 692 in android @ blackstone and Diamond etc ?maybe its the same possible on the Hero etc :)!

Last edited:

erlern

Aug 8, 2008
erlern.wordpress.com

I always found it weird that the MSM 7201A that is Dream cannot be overclocked, although all other devices with the same chipset seems capable of some (Blackstone, etc.). Is it due to the unique RAM of 192MB? I am basing this observation on http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdacomparer&id1=1469&id2=1908

I really do hope that people would continue on in finding a way to overclock the device even minimally (stable of course). :)

Ace42

Jul 20, 2009
New York
Moto G Power
Motorola Edge
I always found it weird that the MSM 7201A that is Dream cannot be overclocked, although all other devices with the same chipset seems capable of some (Blackstone, etc.). Is it due to the unique RAM of 192MB? I am basing this observation on http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdacomparer&id1=1469&id2=1908

I really do hope that people would continue on in finding a way to overclock the device even minimally (stable of course). :)

I forgot the complete details but it was with voltage and the pll and multiplier can't go the the freqs that eugene made and 768 couldnt be used

sturmeh

Sep 5, 2009
Sydney
You get a better boost from using JIT, somewhere from 2.4 to 3.6 Mflops, and average around 500-600 in setcpu. (This is at 528mhtz aswell of course.)

zenulator

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 12, 2009

liljom

Mar 13, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
hey guys

I have a Hero too. And if you use a non-overclocked kernel, than you can force Overclock widget to show! 710Mhz, 650Mhz or something but it doesn't overclock really. And that's why you got the same at 528 and any frequency above : )
If you use an overclocked kernel, than it will be 3,3 Mfolps!!! as it is at the Hero :)
Try an overclocked kernel!

Roland

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone